PDA

View Full Version : Moisture in Transmission connection

bruther
12-13-2005, 09:37 AM
Problems with a 1999 A4 1.8T (no mods) transmission. I am not sure if they are all related.

1.) the Tiptronic feature suddenly stopped working
2.) occasional hard automatic downshifts when coming to a stop
3. Occasional hard shifts from reverse to drive
4. Car stayed in 4th on the high way and would not go into 5th

Otherwise the tranny is generally pretty smooth.
This happened once before when I tried cleaning out the engine compartment...this time i took it through a car wash and had the under carriage cleaned and it started right after.......does anybody know which electrical connector may get moisture in it to cause the tranny to go into Limp mode...I'm now assuming there is moisture in one of the connections.....Any help would be great

RedRocket
12-13-2005, 09:49 AM
ok. Not sure about connectors but...

Has the tranny been serviced? How long ago, what was done, and where?

bruther
12-13-2005, 09:52 AM
The tranny has not been serviced....what do they do when they service the Tranny.....its got to be moisture because of the timelyness of the problems....do you know which connectors could get moisture in them and where they are located.

RedRocket
12-13-2005, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure what they would do to service the tranny. I'm guessing fluid change, filter change, inspection for leaks, maybe lubing the shift lever.

I have bentley manual, but it's at home. I understand the moisture you are pointing to. I would get inderneath and look. If connectors are getting wet, they must be somewhat visible. There is also a tranny comp.

diegomatrix
12-13-2005, 12:18 PM
lalala..

the tip ecu is located under flooring lining of driverside (or was it passenger side..i forget..i remember driverside) rear seat area.

as for the tranny service.... hmm.. supposedly, it's a "lifetime" part...so dealerships are reluctant to do the fluid change, etc.

for tip stoppage, check to see if the magnets are still in proper position. search on aw and you'll find the procedure to checking it (and fixing it)

you can try a tranny adaptation with vag. the procedure is listed somewhere on ross-tech. again, do a search.

bitterchild
12-13-2005, 02:01 PM
I would check your chassis drain plugs. Sounds like you're missing the passenger side front one.

J_C
01-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by bruther
Problems with a 1999 A4 1.8T (no mods) transmission. I am not sure if they are all related.

1.) the Tiptronic feature suddenly stopped working
2.) occasional hard automatic downshifts when coming to a stop
3. Occasional hard shifts from reverse to drive
4. Car stayed in 4th on the high way and would not go into 5th

Otherwise the tranny is generally pretty smooth.
This happened once before when I tried cleaning out the engine compartment...this time i took it through a car wash and had the under carriage cleaned and it started right after.......does anybody know which electrical connector may get moisture in it to cause the tranny to go into Limp mode...I'm now assuming there is moisture in one of the connections.....Any help would be great

has your problem been fixed, i'm having the same problems with my car right now. i think oil has gotten some where, where it shouldn't

partridgea4
01-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Problems with a 1999 A4 1.8T
i am having the same problem of hard downshifts other than that i do not have your other problem but its weird i have no clue what can cause it but atleast im not alone

J_C
01-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by partridgea4
Problems with a 1999 A4 1.8T
i am having the same problem of hard downshifts other than that i do not have your other problem but its weird i have no clue what can cause it but atleast im not alone

i may have found our answer:
http://www.audiforums.com/m_194567/tm.htm

bruther
01-11-2006, 08:49 AM
My problem hasn't been fixed yet but I do know what the Tranny ECU plug looks like. I went underneath my car and found that there was a ton of build up( grease, oil dirt...etc etc..) all around the neutral safety switch plug and the tranny ecu plug. I may try looking at it again this weekend and cleaning it with non conductive cleaner. pm me and we can chat or email me at bruther77@yahoo.com

Let me know what you've found out so far.
Thanks

J_C
01-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by bruther

Let me know what you've found out so far.
Thanks

i'll won't be tackeling this problem until i get back from vaction which won't be till monday...but i'll keep yah updated[up]