PDA

View Full Version : Temperature issue

jordeeeezy
02-28-2017, 02:07 PM
Turning to the forum family for this one.. so I've been having a problem with my 01 A4 Quattro, at least I think it's a problem. What's been happening is that after driving, I shut my car off and when I turn it on after a minute or so, the temperature gauge needle moves up to the first line. I first noticed this while I was driving my car, I noticed that the needle would go smack dab in the middle and it slowly climbed up a little but then would move back down as I started driving. I took it to the mechanic who replaced my timing belt and they replaced the coolant temp sensor and thermostat (again). Now, the needle would sit a tad on the cool side while driving, sometimes it would move directly to the middle but nothing towards the hot side.

But when I would turn the car off and just turn it to the on position after it reaches operating temperature, the needle is back at the first line on the hot side. So I took it to another shop and they said my cooling system pressure is 70 PSI. They said I either have a cracked cylinder head or blown head gasket (it shouldn't be since the first shop replaced it). The first shop said they ran pressure tests overnight and they say the pressures aren't high. So idk what it could be..

Is it normal for the temp needle to go up (240 F) while the car is off then back to normal when I start driving (190 F)? And if not, could it be from a cracked head or head gasket not properly sealed? I also noticed that the overflow hose to the top of the coolant reservoir starts bubbling in the reservoir and the reservoir gets pretty hot too.

OverSpun
02-28-2017, 02:19 PM
Do you have any codes that you can post? That will be helpful.

jordeeeezy
02-28-2017, 02:53 PM
Car isn't throwing any codes. CEL is off. The last code was for bank 1 sensor 1 too lean. Changed the o2 sensor and MAF so I can smog my car. Driven 120 miles since that last code and the CEL hasn't turned on since

Davdraco1
02-28-2017, 03:35 PM
If I drive my car hard, mainly up hills, my violent temp will go to the first click after the middle point. It goes right back down when I start driving normally or head down hill, not on it then. I do know I have a coolant leak in the return line of the turbo. Idk if I'm getting extra air in their and it's causing it but the car runs fine.

jordeeeezy
02-28-2017, 03:57 PM
If I drive my car hard, mainly up hills, my violent temp will go to the first click after the middle point. It goes right back down when I start driving normally or head down hill, not on it then. I do know I have a coolant leak in the return line of the turbo. Idk if I'm getting extra air in their and it's causing it but the car runs fine.

I actually tried pushing the car, shifting around 4-5k and my temp actually didn't go up while driving. I did notice that while following traffic laws, it feels like the car is struggling in 2nd and 3rd. Around 2k - 3.25k. I'm not sure if this is a compression issue, turbo leak, or my clutch is slipping. I don't feel it in 1st, 4th and 5th

Davdraco1
02-28-2017, 05:23 PM
I damn drive my car hard on level roads and it doesn't over heat. Only on large hills does it overheat a little. And in traffic it will creep up a little

jordeeeezy
02-28-2017, 05:58 PM
I damn drive my car hard on level roads and it doesn't over heat. Only on large hills does it overheat a little. And in traffic it will creep up a little

Exactly, that's why it stumps me as to why it overheats when it's off. I'll drive, turn off the car, do whatever for like a few minutes, turn the car to the on position with the engine off and bam it's on the first click. I'll start the car and when I begin driving again, the temp goes back to the middle.

Davdraco1
02-28-2017, 06:35 PM
It will always go beyond the middle position when you turn it off, your not moving coolant and there's no air going through the rad to cool the coolant. That's normal. Does it over heat when you turn it off?

jordeeeezy
02-28-2017, 07:08 PM
It will always go beyond the middle position when you turn it off, your not moving coolant and there's no air going through the rad to cool the coolant. That's normal. Does it over heat when you turn it off?

It just goes to the first click and not past that. A shop said that i have a cracked cylinder head, or the head gasket is blown or not sealed properly. They ran a pressure test for the cooling system and it was at 70 PSI. I didn't know that the temp going up while the car is off a normal thing for a 2001

Davdraco1
03-01-2017, 04:29 AM
The coolant temp will always increase a little after you turn your car off. Your no longer cooling it. In regards to the chop saying you have a cracked head, are you loosing coolant? Does your oil look like milk? Are you down on power? Maybe a compression test would help rule this out.

mfdk
03-01-2017, 10:22 AM
My 2.8 a4 does the same thing when you turn it off after its been driven on hot weather or long trip and so did my A6. What your describing sounds normal to me as long as it does not go beyond the middle point, sometimes if your stranded in traffic and car its just idling you may see the needle just a tad over the middle but once the car gets moving should go right back to the middle (stricly on hot weather).

If you want to be on safe side then do what others have suggested, compression test or leak down test but i highly doubt you have any of those things that the Shops mentioned to you.

jordeeeezy
03-01-2017, 12:22 PM
The coolant temp will always increase a little after you turn your car off. Your no longer cooling it. In regards to the chop saying you have a cracked head, are you loosing coolant? Does your oil look like milk? Are you down on power? Maybe a compression test would help rule this out.

They put a new head gasket because I had a bent valve when they changed my timing belt (belt was missing teeth). I do notice a lack on power when I'm in lower RPMs in 2nd and 3rd but it'll pick up after.

jordeeeezy
03-01-2017, 05:36 PM
My 2.8 a4 does the same thing when you turn it off after its been driven on hot weather or long trip and so did my A6. What your describing sounds normal to me as long as it does not go beyond the middle point, sometimes if your stranded in traffic and car its just idling you may see the needle just a tad over the middle but once the car gets moving should go right back to the middle (stricly on hot weather).

If you want to be on safe side then do what others have suggested, compression test or leak down test but i highly doubt you have any of those things that the Shops mentioned to you.

The return hose starts bubbling after awhile and the reservoir gets hotter than normal. Not sure why though.

mfdk
03-01-2017, 09:21 PM
The return hose starts bubbling after awhile and the reservoir gets hotter than normal. Not sure why though.

Maybe when the Coolant was replaced it was not properly bled..!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

Davdraco1
03-02-2017, 07:28 AM
Let the car idle with the over flow cap off for a while. See if any air comes out.

jordeeeezy
03-02-2017, 11:31 AM
Maybe when the Coolant was replaced it was not properly bled..!

I hope that's the reason. I mean the only other reason would be exhaust fumes going through, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Let the car idle with the over flow cap off for a while. See if any air comes out.

I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

Davdraco1
03-02-2017, 12:24 PM
What do you mean exhaust fumes going through it?

mfdk
03-02-2017, 07:54 PM

Yeh, was going to ask him the same question[emoji15]

Davdraco1
03-02-2017, 10:03 PM
If you have exhaust fumes getting into your coolant system you have a bigger problem, specificlybyou own an engine that no one else does.

jordeeeezy
03-03-2017, 03:53 AM

By a cracked head or head gasket not sealed properly 😅

I've just noticed something though. It only heats up when my AC is on. I haven't had it on cos it's been pretty chilly the past weeks in LA except today when it was 80. So I turned my on my AC on the way to work and noticed that the temp would move past half (about in between the middle and first click). I turned it to high since my heat doesn't work (heater core hoses are both hot so I think it's the blender door) and temp went down. I'm thinking it's one of the fans? The ambient temp was reading 84 when the actual temp was 76 while the AC was on. Ambient temp went down after I turned off the AC.