PDA

View Full Version : Can't shift into gear with the car running. Fine when off. Pressure plate?

4A Play
02-27-2017, 06:47 PM
So out of the blue today I'd get random spikes of rpm in first gear today. At a few stop lights while slowing down and shifting from second, into neutral, then when going back to 1st it wouldn't go into first. I'd rev it up and it would pop into 1st.

I got home and go to back into my spot, rpm jump and it stalls. I go to back up and it goes into reverse, I get into my spot and the car stalls again. I go to start it and it starts fine in neutral but won't shift into any gear while running. I can turn off the car and it shifts perfectly into every gear when off. But running in locked out of gear.

If I start the car in first gear, it'll start, idle fine but when I start to lift off the clutch the car lurches forward and stalls. It will not shift into neutral from first.

So far I topped off the fluid. Clutch pedal feels the same as always.

Any ideas here guys?!

I purchased the car as a stage 3 project. The previous owner said he put in a south bend stage 3 clutch and pressure plate. No way to verify. It's been running and driving just fine for a year. I don't beat on my clutch and am an adult driver.

Any ideas here guys? I'm thinking the pressure plate is seized up.

Thanks!

OverSpun
02-27-2017, 07:53 PM
How long has the clutch been installed? If not properly worn in and/or having the flywheel machined to perfectly matched. It's been a long time but IIRC, Southbend used to machine and match the flywheel with the ordered clutch if it is shipped to them. Possibly one or both of those could be part of it if you were launching the car since I have seen it happened once.

4A Play
02-27-2017, 08:32 PM
It's two years old and I followed SBs break in just in case. I've also never launched it either.

Looking at replacement clutch kits and it's insane. I need an affordable 400hp kit that won't break the bank.

PringlesInVic
02-27-2017, 09:17 PM
I think you can still get in on the B7 RS4 TTV Group buy

OverSpun
02-27-2017, 09:42 PM
It's two years old and I followed SBs break in just in case. I've also never launched it either.

Looking at replacement clutch kits and it's insane. I need an affordable 400hp kit that won't break the bank.

Oh, after 2 years... it has to be something else. My example was only with a fresh install from the car being abused asap without properly broken in. (Not my car).

I will also eventually need a new clutch since I am still on my stock clutch. I will also likely pick a new clutch that can handle a bigger turbo and built motor in the future. I will wait until this one blows. :)

4A Play
02-28-2017, 12:20 AM
I saw that group buy and also was reading up on a vr6 6 puck with g60 12 pound flywheel option as well.....

Seerlah
02-28-2017, 04:29 AM
My guess is bad throw out bearing coupled with other stuff. Regardless...clutch needs to come out for true inspection. And since it is SB...have a replacrment bell housing fork ready to swap in (joking...but not at all; have one ready).

4A Play
02-28-2017, 04:55 AM
I've had those go on other cars in the past. Usually makes a sound when pressing the clutch pedal which threw me off here.

Seerlah
02-28-2017, 05:13 AM
Since running a South Bend clutch, I assume a compromised fork where the TOB seats in damaged. Taking a guess, but that is my speculation. If you were not running that clutch, I would he slightly stumped. But you are...so I'm not. That kit does damage.

4A Play
02-28-2017, 06:00 AM
Roger that. Thank you sir 👍👍

That's just speculation on the kit. It's what I was told by the seller. Everything else he has claimed checked out so no real reason to doubt him.

I'm due for a timing job so I'm debating building a second motor and just swapping it at the same time as the clutch. Such a pita.

4A Play
02-28-2017, 06:09 AM
I guess the good news is that I can have the clutch remaned and machines by SB for $250. If it truly is a SB when I pull it.

Seerlah
02-28-2017, 06:19 AM
That pressure plate is problematic to our bell housing forks. Rebuild and resell. Use money towards a different clutch. The SB is durable...but damaging at the same time. I figure some type of process to reinforce the fork can counteract this. Another viable option. And your welcome!

4A Play
02-28-2017, 10:39 AM
Ok. So plot thickens.

I inspected my linkage. All is well. Looked through the bell housing port and I can absolutely see a 240mm flywheel in there. Which is good. I no longer have to do the group buy. With the car off I put it in first gear, pop start it and off I go. I get on the highway and it shifts fine, needs a push to get into 5th but I kept it in fifth all the way to my storage unit.

Once at the storage unit I put the car in neutral. Get out, pull my daily driver out of the unit and get back in the a4 to pop start it in first again. Install it twice trying to pop start it. The third attempt, I don't need to have the car off to shift into first. It is now in the garage shifting through all the gears with the car running. I have no idea what's going on? Debris in the bell housing? I'm thoroughly confused here. I'm not testing my luck and trying a test drive........

Seerlah
02-28-2017, 11:18 AM
If I had to guess, TOB. Most likely symptoms will reocurr.

4A Play
02-28-2017, 11:31 AM
And I'm dropping the trans anyway. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Pushed her from the storage unit for a wash before I start tearing it down. Again.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/teacupunderfire/2014-07/6F3F0813-3B9D-4B47-964A-5CE64F2A9232_zpsy671hkcv.jpg (http://s115.photobucket.com/user/teacupunderfire/media/2014-07/6F3F0813-3B9D-4B47-964A-5CE64F2A9232_zpsy671hkcv.jpg.html)