PDA

View Full Version : K04 dilema

pigliiit
12-13-2005, 06:33 AM
Okay, I have a chance to get into an MTM K04 setup for around $1500 (buying a used K04 and injectors from a B6, but should be the same for my B5, getting software from Hoppen). The problem is there is a little difference that I've seen in the kit. Anderson Motorsports says you need a gutted cat, ported exhaust manifold, and a 4 bar fpr. Hoppen says you can have a hfc (on its way already for Christmas), stock 5 bar fpr, and doesnt mention anything about the manifold. I emailed Andersons about this and havent heard back yet. Hoppen says that the software needs to be checked for correct fuel trim after install, and i was hoping that Anderson can check that, but since I havent heard back from them I dont know if I should buy the kit or not. Any suggestions or ideas? If I were to install the kit with the software thats sent, will it run fine at first even without the fuel trim check, or would it be unsafe for the car to run it until it is checked? I think I wanna stay away from the real BT kits, I dont need a ton of power and i like the way the K04 hits early in the revs. Plus, its still like 200 whp and 240 wtq, which is plenty for me. Thanks.
edit- I can get a ported exhaust manifold from the guy for another $100, since its from a B6 it should still fit a B5 right?

goldenchild
12-13-2005, 06:38 AM
well b6 usually use diff injectors...long necks....if the fuelin is not right there are goin to be big problems on how it runs. to even fix that u would need a adj fpr. u r only saving 200 bux which isnt anything special by any means id just get a brand new kit. u realyy dont need injectors unless ur gettin an upgraded software version like the giac pc-16 or j31 file is.

pigliiit
12-13-2005, 06:55 AM
I should have specified, I have a 2001, so my K04 options are limitted to pretty much only MTM unless I want throttle cut and other issues. I checked already and they are the right injectors.

goldenchild
12-13-2005, 07:21 AM
well i have an 01 and went with upsolute audi tt 225 injectors at a stock 4 bar and it ran great. id also get a mbc this thing prob isnt goin to run great off the bat. i had to tweak my fuel mbc and went through mass plugs to get it runing right but once i did i sold it haha if the fuel curve isnt right on the software then just look at diff fpr also what cc r the ones ur goin with? ur deff goin to need that mbc for that throttle cut unless mtm claims to by pass it.

pigliiit
12-13-2005, 08:03 AM
they claim to bypass it.

goldenchild
12-13-2005, 09:06 AM
well then id have to say go for it. but the only thing is u might hjave to mess with the fuel pressure is all

BranCKY3
12-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Wait a little bit and see what GIAC does with the k04 chip. Jeff Moss is working on it right now.

goldenchild
12-13-2005, 09:44 AM
id say wait for that then bc then u have a better chance of gettin an aggresive file upsolute got me an aggresive file for my 01 but no one seems to like em i do

pigliiit
12-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks, thats what I need to know. Are they going to be doing big injectors (TT's?)? Wasnt someone saying Revo was working on a big injector also for the 2001? Any idea on a timeframe with the GIAC? Does Jeff Moss work for GIAC? If I ordered the kit from AWE I assume it would come with the right software for 01's once its done?

tkarwin
12-13-2005, 10:54 AM
A lot of 01 guys are in the same situation. I guess all we can do is wait.

BranCKY3
12-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Yea Jeff works with GIAC. I think he's just working on getting the regular K04 chip with 5bar fpr (the one I have) to run correctly. I have no idea how long it takes, I don't really care because it's getting fixed and I have no desire to go fast in winter.

pigliiit
12-13-2005, 11:41 AM
The only reason I ask about the timeframe is I was hoping to get in on the AWE christmas sale, save a little money.

bitterchild
12-13-2005, 11:59 AM
I would contact Moss directly at Torque Factory and explain your situation. He should be able to let you purchase at the AWE discounted price and offer some sort of upgrade as the new file is completed. These are just my thoughts, you should talk directly to Jeff to get your questions answered definitively

BranCKY3
12-13-2005, 12:10 PM
I believe that GIAC offers free updates on chips, and the new file should just be replacing the old one.

geeboyjibber
12-13-2005, 02:21 PM
I talked to Jeff and I am pretty much in the same boat. Yes, Jeff charges a minimal fee for his software change from generic GIAC K04 software to his even if you didnt buy it from him. I called him last week and he is working on software for the 01's with a CH box and is tuning with a FMIC and bigger injectors in mind. He says that this new program should be stronger than PC-16 or J31 files.

geeboyjibber
12-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, it is around $37 for an upgrade if you already have GIAC K04 software and $200 if you are going from GIAC normal K03 software to K04 software. These were the prices that he told me over the phone so they should be correct but dont quote me for them.