PDA

View Full Version : NewSouth Power Gasket

Quattrocket
12-12-2005, 04:01 PM
I installed this a long time ago and forgot to post my impression of it.
Its just a plastic gasket that replaces the thin metal stock intake gasket. Before the intake mani would be hot as hell, after the install it stays cool to the touch. they claim intake temps stay 30-50 degrees F cooler I beleive. I wouldnt doubt it. anyways I like it, heres a link.
http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?searchstring=power+gasket&searchqt=byvehicle&make=Audi&model=B5+A4&submodel=Quattro&engine=1.8T

A4Rob
12-12-2005, 05:45 PM
I'll second this. I did many hard pulls with my car then touched my intake manifold. It keeps it very cool

tkarwin
12-12-2005, 06:34 PM
Does the car feel any stronger?

goldenchild
12-12-2005, 06:41 PM
prob up top bc its increasing the length of the intake runners

tkarwin
12-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by goldenchild
prob up top bc its increasing the length of the intake runners

Wouldn't that increase low end torque? Longer runners=better low end, shorter=better high end?

goldenchild
12-12-2005, 07:32 PM
o ya haha i always mix those up. so i ment to say lose high end gain low end

Kruat
12-12-2005, 07:36 PM
I have one of these on my 2.0 16v GTI, works great. After a hard day of beating the crap outta the car, my intake stays pretty cool compaired to the rest of the motor.

bitterchild
12-12-2005, 07:50 PM
it's to isolate the aluminum intake manifold from the head. this keeps it from becoming a giant heat sink. Guess what's cooling it down... your intake charge. Has nothing to do w/ increasing the length of the runners

b00st
12-12-2005, 10:03 PM
the question is...is it worth it...or is it snake oil?
i've heard of peoples gaskets melting on them...i thought about doing this mod...so what do you guys think...worth it or no?

k0mpresd
12-13-2005, 05:34 AM
its worth it

only 2 cases i know of where the gaskets have failed

one melted, not sure of the owner of the car
and the other was steve soda's car and the gasket didnt actually melt, it just expanded, he was also making 700whp too

goldenchild
12-13-2005, 06:44 AM
i never said it had anything to do with the runners as to why it stayed cooled geez but when u do shorten or lengthen u do see a diff in low and top end. at a 1/4" i believe is what the thickness of the gasket if not its 1/2". i know on one of my cars they designed a intake runner like and gainded 30 hp up top on a n/a car.

bitterchild
12-13-2005, 09:30 AM
top end is associated w/ shorted runners, longer runners generally help low end pulse velocity and chamber filling... aka low end torque. no beef, sorry if it came off that way.

Cactus00S4
12-13-2005, 09:53 AM
i got one for sale, its for non AEB, wish it would fit my car, i would of put it on by now

mike-2ptzero
12-13-2005, 09:54 AM
Does anyone have any hard data on this type of product? I have yet to see any data of EGT, IAT and CHT of before and after the product is installed. Well most of all I would like to see before and after readings of the CHT's.

CHT = cylinder head temps

k0mpresd
12-13-2005, 11:44 AM
there have been dynos done to prove it works

i know this because i was offered by the guy that runs newsouth to test a new type of material for the gasket but couldnt because of the awd

the guy that got to dyno instead of me (and a free gasket too [mad]) is a good buddy of mine and i *think* there was a 7whp increase..dont quote me on that.. it was right around 10whp gain...they were hoping for a larger whp increase but blamed it on his fmic...his gti is an 03 so it has a k03s, revo 4 bar, greddy 31 fmic, samco tip, n75k valve, ghl 3" tb, and several other small engine mods

Originally posted by BSaudiA4
i got one for sale, its for non AEB, wish it would fit my car, i would of put it on by now
how much?

mike-2ptzero
12-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by k0mpresd
there have been dynos done to prove it works

i know this because i was offered by the guy that runs newsouth to test a new type of material for the gasket but couldnt because of the awd

the guy that got to dyno instead of me (and a free gasket too [mad]) is a good buddy of mine and i *think* there was a 7whp increase..dont quote me on that.. it was right around 10whp gain...they were hoping for a larger whp increase but blamed it on his fmic...his gti is an 03 so it has a k03s, revo 4 bar, greddy 31 fmic, samco tip, n75k valve, ghl 3" tb, and several other small engine mods

how much?

Well the problem is dyno testing for a gain of hp isn't going to tell us how it helps over a period of time which is longer then a 1 gear pull. Gained hp might be good for that 1 pull but will it be sustained over time. This is why I have been asking for actual hard data on the effects it has on the engine itself.

Cactus00S4
12-13-2005, 12:24 PM
kompressed, gimme a offer, its brande new, package is open from me lookin at it, its missin 2 bolts, let me no

k0mpresd
12-13-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by mike-2ptzero
Well the problem is dyno testing for a gain of hp isn't going to tell us how it helps over a period of time which is longer then a 1 gear pull. Gained hp might be good for that 1 pull but will it be sustained over time. This is why I have been asking for actual hard data on the effects it has on the engine itself.
i find it hard to believe that a piece of epoxy is only good for one dyno run then after that the effects are gone or start to diminish....it lowers intake temps and everything else is affected from that..ask anybody w/ them, they will all tell you the intake is cool to the touch..nobody says, the intake was cool and after i had for 10k miles it seemed to have lost its cooling affect

i know several people w/ them and all have been very happy w/ them and for $60 @ most, its cheap hp

A4Rob
12-13-2005, 01:01 PM
I will be dynoing my car again January. I'll keep you guys posted on the gains from last may. Since then I have done test pipe and larger exhaust.

mike-2ptzero
12-13-2005, 01:07 PM
i find it hard to believe that a piece of epoxy is only good for one dyno run then after that the effects are gone or start to diminish....it lowers intake temps and everything else is affected from that..ask anybody w/ them, they will all tell you the intake is cool to the touch..nobody says, the intake was cool and after i had for 10k miles it seemed to have lost its cooling affect

i know several people w/ them and all have been very happy w/ them and for $60 @ most, its cheap hp

Who says I am talking about the Intake Manifold temps? I am talking about the temps of the Cylinder Head. Looking for data that shows no changes in head temps since the IM is no longer used as a heat sink to lower the head temps.

This is a very easy test, all that is needed is a gauge that meaures the temps of the head. But yet even the company that makes it wont give up data for this type of testing.

k0mpresd
12-13-2005, 01:09 PM
well, if the iat are cooler i would imagine the combustion chamber temps are a little cooler

the company that makes them is just one single guy, the one guy is newsouth performance, older guy, very cool to talk to

i highly doubt he wants to get that technical about it, he has a proven dyno to show it works, more than 1...like i said, for $60 its cheap hp, what do you expect??

mike-2ptzero
12-13-2005, 01:15 PM
well, if the iat are cooler i would imagine the combustion chamber temps are a little cooler

That is a guess not actual data. The lower IAT's might lower the EGT's but that has nothing to do with the actual temps of the head itself.

BTW if it was that great and that cheap for the gained hp wouldn't it be on every manufatured car in the world?

Well I guess I will have to do the testing myself and post up the actual data. Just have to add a cylinder head temp gauge, I already have a egt gauge and I can record the IAT's with my LM1 wide band. I asked a shop about this same project and they said it wasn't really worth it for my car, but I guess I will find out soon enough.

k0mpresd
12-13-2005, 01:17 PM
dude...its $60 and it gives you almost 10whp, maybe more depending on your set up....what do you want?? its $60 for crying out loud...youre getting into a pissing match about hardcore data for a $60 part...if youre really worried about it that much then save your $60, obviously youre not hurting for $$$

petery18t
12-13-2005, 01:18 PM
I have the evolution tuning heatshield, a few more $$ than the powergasket (got it for $72 on GB), never heard of any failures though. I noticed a bit better pick up for around town driving, and intake mani is ok to touch now.

b00st
12-13-2005, 01:38 PM
i'm get one. it sounds like a good deal..if it gives a little gains...great...its not a big investment. and plus when coupled with a testpipe...it should show some decent gains, i would think. dyno looked good and if the intake mani is OK to touch then i know its working cuz you can't touch mine...unless you don't like your hand.

now stop the pissing match....we have enough of that on the B6 forum. [;)]

b00st
12-13-2005, 01:41 PM
anybody get any tech sheets for doing the swap out for the gasket. anything I should be aware of? how hard do you tighten the mani bolts to? just tighter than snug?

k0mpresd
12-13-2005, 01:58 PM
taking off the mani isnt too difficult, be careful w/ the oil dipstick tube..prob a good idea to go ahead and buy one because youll prob break it taking off your intake and the intake bolts dont have to be super snug...make sure to use some silicone on both sides of the power gasket, or 2 stock intake gaskets, one on each side, if you do that though youll have to use the longer bolts that come w/ the gasket

b00st
12-13-2005, 02:53 PM
cool..thanks for the info...i'll get some MR. GASKET.

didn't know you would need 2 stock gaskets, 1 for each side...prolly would said that on the instructions or if I bothered to read something.

k0mpresd
12-13-2005, 03:06 PM
you dont need 2 stock gaskets

you use either silicone OR 2 stock gaskets [up]

one8t
12-13-2005, 03:13 PM
I've had one for about 30,000 miles with no problems. The way it makes more power is not so much by truly cooling the intake air as lowering the temp as read by the IAT sensor. Slight difference, but end result is the same. Heat transfer from the cylinder head to the intake manifold makes the sensor read higher than it otherwise should. PG reduces the heat transfer and lets the sensor read more accurate, lower temps. Lower IAT will get you more timing advance in most programs.

b00st
12-13-2005, 03:43 PM
ahh...then me likey!
thanks for the info!