PDA

View Full Version : Need help with problem

jdyno718
02-20-2017, 12:16 PM
Car is acting very weird from stop till about 5 mph. I try accelerating and the car barely goes. It revs and pull for a second then nothing then revs and pulls then nothing. Each Rev is a about a second and the down is about a second. This causes the car to buck. Nothing shows on gauges and no codes are thrown. It only did this a few times here and there but this morning it did it at every stop. Once I get to about 5mph it drives normal.

Another issue, may be related or not, is the fan will intermittently turn on and off while I have it turned on.

Any ideas on where to start? It has 155,000 miles and has been taken care of, original motor, trans, and turbo. It's an automatic.

Sent from my D6708 using Audizine mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

cclarkb5
02-20-2017, 12:23 PM
Sounds like the clutches in the trans are slipping. Have you ever changed the ATF? It could be something else but never underestimate the capacity of a tiptragic to give you problems (I have one too)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdyno718
02-20-2017, 12:39 PM
I haven't. I thought that the fluid was a life time fluid on the automatics.

Sent from my D6708 using Audizine mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

TheRedGlacier
02-20-2017, 01:08 PM
No, it should state somewhere in the owners manual when Audi wanted it to be changed. I have a manual transmission; but think of this. Moisture is always in the air; and moisture changes the properties of the various fluids in the car, and can even nullify the anti-rust properties in them; hence why brake fluid should be changed every two years to avoid taking a chance of rusty lines.

Case in point: Although I feel bad for "trashing", the previous owner of my Trans Am last changed the oil NINE YEARS AGO!!! His reasoning for this was that he only drove the car for around 2500 miles on that oil change. So I'll probably run into an issue down the road. Hopefully not if I'm lucky. Sorry for getting off topic... Change the fluid and go from there.

cclarkb5
02-22-2017, 10:07 AM
The manual may say lifetime ATF, but don't believe it. Lifetime to Audi is the time frame before it becomes to expensive to repair the car and you just buy a new one. The fluid change is a little complicated, but not as crazy as the threads about it would have you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OverSpun
02-22-2017, 02:43 PM
Car is acting very weird from stop till about 5 mph. I try accelerating and the car barely goes. It revs and pull for a second then nothing then revs and pulls then nothing. Each Rev is a about a second and the down is about a second. This causes the car to buck. Nothing shows on gauges and no codes are thrown. It only did this a few times here and there but this morning it did it at every stop. Once I get to about 5mph it drives normal.

Another issue, may be related or not, is the fan will intermittently turn on and off while I have it turned on.

Any ideas on where to start? It has 155,000 miles and has been taken care of, original motor, trans, and turbo. It's an automatic.

Your thread may be in the wrong forum if it is about your A6 that is listed under your garage... If so, I can move your thread. :)

jdyno718
02-22-2017, 09:16 PM
Oh no I sold my c5 and picked up this b5 from s family member, I'll update my signature.

The ATF fluid was changed around 100k, and the car has no hesitation or slipping when shifting, which is why I'm hesitant that it is trans related. But I'll do more reading s this is the suggestion.

VanCityA4Q
02-23-2017, 05:41 AM
Sounds to me like a fuel/air mixture. I had a similar problem caused by an O2 sensor not reading fast enough. It didn't throw a code at all, but you could see the slow response on VCDS. Replaced my O2 and all was good.

If you can run a log file and post it, I could tell you for sure.

TheRedGlacier
02-23-2017, 05:49 AM
JDyno, do you have access to a VCDS/"Vagcom"; or know anybody who owns one?

jdyno718
02-23-2017, 06:04 AM
I know someone who has a vagcom. I'll meet up and see.

kwnk
02-23-2017, 07:56 AM
Sounds to me like a fuel/air mixture. I had a similar problem caused by an O2 sensor not reading fast enough. It didn't throw a code at all, but you could see the slow response on VCDS. Replaced my O2 and all was good.

If you can run a log file and post it, I could tell you for sure.

Hey Van, which blocks do you log in regard to diagnosing a slow O2 sensor?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87676)

VanCityA4Q
02-23-2017, 06:33 PM
Bahaha that was at the end of my 12 hour midnight shift. Sorry 😂
A log file won't help much, I just needed to watch my O2 sensor in real time and compaired it to my friends B6 A4, his visually had a much quicker response time. Mine was changing every 1-2 seconds, his constantly. Sorry for the confusion.

jdyno718
06-13-2017, 01:17 PM
Update -

Car finally threw a code this morning, p0103, MAF sensor issue. So I will be checking that. I would add the code to the thread title but don't know how...

walky_talky20
06-13-2017, 02:25 PM
Generally, you can unplug the MAF and see if the car runs better. Kind of a double check that you are on the right path. Just remember that a MAF code can be a faulty sensor, but it can also be a faulty reading due to air leaks in the intake path between the sensor and the engine.

If you can check your fuel trims with VCDS (measuring block 302), it can help you determine if it seems like a faulty sensor or an intake leak. It can even help you figure out where that leak might likely be.

jdyno718
06-15-2017, 02:14 PM
Thanks walky_talky. I unplugged the MAF yesterday and that definitely improved things back to normal!!