PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifold crack?

eisman
12-12-2005, 07:51 AM
I have an ever increasing exhaust sound coming from the engine bay. I have been all over the piping and can't find any leaks. I swear the leak sounds like it is coming from the cat, but the flanges are all fine! I've checked 3 times now. What I haven't checked is the mainifold itself. Do these have a history of cracking or gaskets blowing out? And if so, how big of a job is it to replace? I'd like to do it myself.

The reason I thought the leak was behind the turbo is that I still get 14-15psi boost at WOT. If it is indeed the manifold, what should I replace it with? I assume stocks are just about as expensive as putting on an ATP or something. Will I have problems if I put a high flow on, everything else being stock?

bitterchild
12-12-2005, 08:25 AM
You'd be better off finding an old stock manifold to buy. I sold mine for $50. There are plenty floating around. You could buy a ported unit from Kinetic motorsports as well if you felt the need. Aftermarket manifolds are not going to fit.

eisman
12-12-2005, 08:38 AM
Thanks, didn't realize they were that common. Didn't want to spend money needlessly if I could prepare for an upgrade later.

tim@sgt
12-12-2005, 09:20 AM
i have a couple stockies call me up