PDA

View Full Version : Help! Brake Fluid Leak

gtsingh91
02-19-2017, 03:32 AM
2001 AWM 1.8T Quattro Manual 195k miles.

Since I think I'm done chasing my oil leak, it's time to look into my slow brake fluid leak. Every 2500 miles or so I need to top it off because I get the beeping Brake light. I never run it dry though. I cannot pinpoint the leak. The calipers are dry and the slave cylinder is dry (as well as the surrounding areas). However, tiny puddles (maybe the size of 4 quarters)form overnight directly underneath in the center of the car. It's definitely brake fluid and not oil. Where is this coming from?

MarcRogers
02-19-2017, 05:31 AM
Did you see if the master was leaking. If not hat then it's one on the lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtsingh91
02-19-2017, 06:21 AM
What's the easiest way to check the master leak? There's nothing by the battery tray. It's hard to tell where its coming from from underneath but it's like the center, near the tranny. Do you mean the lines right off the master might be leaking?

gtsingh91
02-20-2017, 01:03 PM
Are the only places brake fluid can leak out of, 1) the two brake lines that go into to the master cylinder, 2) the slave cylinder (fluid on top of the transmission), and 3) the calipers/pistons? Can there be an internal brake fluid leak that happens to magically appear on the ground in the center of the car (dripping off of the front sway bar)? All three of the aforementioned areas seem dry. I'm at a loss for ideas right now

Seerlah
02-20-2017, 02:31 PM
Center of the car would indicate brake line compromised.

gtsingh91
02-20-2017, 02:49 PM
Center of the car would indicate brake line compromised.

Where do you recommend starting with this? I'm unfamiliar with the brake lines on these cars, as I've never had an issue like this before. The rubber lines to the calipers are dry and good so do I trace those back towards the master cylinder? How would one go about R&R brake lines? Not many DIY's at all for brake lines.

Seerlah
02-20-2017, 08:53 PM
Note exactly where the leak is by position of the puddle. Lay on ground, peak head under car, make mental note of vicinity, jack car up and find exact location of the leak. Brake lines are hard line leading under the car. Youtube how to double flare. Pick up tool from Autozone for free, proper line size (I have no clue, but the interwebz might), and replace compromised section. Brake lines can be bent...but DO NOT kink it. Cut line with a small pipe cutter and ream out properly. Car should have all 4 corners off ground for this. When done, fill reservoir and bleed rear calipers. Take opportunity to flush all lines. This assuming it is coming from center of car out a brake line.

gtsingh91
03-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Took a look under the car today since the weather was finally nice but I couldn't see the source of the brake fluid leak. The lines off the calipers and underbody looked dry and so did the slave cylinder. There is definitely brake fluid dripping ever so slightly from the center of the underbody by the subframe/swaybar.

ECS Tuning-Audi
03-09-2017, 08:52 AM
An easy way to check for leaks is to pick up a pressure bleeder.

Hook the pressure bleeder up to the fluid reservoir and then pump it up to about 10-15 PSI do NOT exceed this or you could bust some stuff up.

If there is a leak the pressure will steadily deplete from the bleeder tank, it will also push fluid out of the leak which you should hopefully be able to spot.

We have them available below.

Click HERE to order or for more information (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/3-liter-european-pressure-brake-bleeder/007237sch01a/?salesrep=JMarusic&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=JMarusic&utm_campaign=postrepy)
https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/829292_x800.jpg (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/3-liter-european-pressure-brake-bleeder/007237sch01a/?salesrep=JMarusic&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=JMarusic&utm_campaign=postrepy)

Also if you are noticing it's leaking in the middle underneath the vehicle it may also be the slave cylinder (assuming you have a 5spd).

Jason