PDA

View Full Version : Oil level sensor issue continues...

TheRedGlacier
02-17-2017, 06:42 AM
Hey guys, I replaced my oil level sensor with a Napa "Uro" Sensor back in the Summer, to remove the error from the DIS, and to try to get my oil temp gauge working again. Well of course the piece of ya-know-what doesn't work right. It'll only display the oil temp for a few seconds if you cycle the battery.. which I guess is better than nothing.

Fast forward a couple months, I bought a HELLA sensor after finding out that the sensor probably wasn't working properly due to it not being OEM..

Fast forward again to yesterday. I changed my oil (To 0w40 Belgian Castrol, which feels smoother than the M1, and cheaper at Wally World); and the freaking temp gauge STILL is doing the SAME thing as the Napa sensor. I'm like slightly PO'd... Any suggestions?

I know I don't really need the oil temp gauge; as I've always just waited a few miles after hitting the coolant operating temperature before boosting, but I hate looking at a dead gauge.

Davdraco1
02-17-2017, 08:04 AM
I've had the same issue for almost two years now. I still don't know why he guards doesn't read.

pkfinn
02-17-2017, 08:16 AM
You sure you're replacing the correct sensor? Oil level sensor is on the pan, temp sensor should be on filter housing.

TheRedGlacier
02-17-2017, 08:22 AM
Its a 2001 1.8T. i thought both were integrated in the oil pan sensor

Believer
02-17-2017, 10:24 AM
That's correct - on 01 the one in the pan is level and temp

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

TheRedGlacier
02-17-2017, 11:14 AM
I guess I just got a dud... That sucks though :/

Avant Nate
02-17-2017, 02:40 PM
What are the readings in vcds?

OverSpun
02-17-2017, 02:56 PM
What are the readings in vcds?

Beat me. [up]

I only had oil sensor issues were when a rabbit chewed the wire off in my B6 and when I drove over a bowling ball that was cleverly rolled down a hill in my first B5 (15 years back). That was more than a sensor... dead oil pan and subframe. [:p]

TheRedGlacier
02-17-2017, 03:11 PM
Hehe... See the funny thing with VCDS... I don't own one, nor do I know anybody who does. I would have bought the cable by now, but I don't have a laptop to use right now, as my garbage HP's motherboard burned out right after its warranty ended.

I'm definitely working towards it though..

@OverSpun: My god! I would find the individual responsible for that and murder him in cold blood.

Mattr567
02-17-2017, 03:12 PM
Beat me. [up]

I only had oil sensor issues were when a rabbit chewed the wire off in my B6 and when I drove over a bowling ball that was cleverly rolled down a hill in my first B5 (15 years back). That was more than a sensor... dead oil pan and subframe. [:p]
A bowling ball? Lol that's something I wouldn't expect to see in the road.

Sent from my A0001 using Audizine mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

OverSpun
02-17-2017, 04:00 PM
A bowling ball? Lol that's something I wouldn't expect to see in the road.

Sent from my A0001 using Audizine mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

Yea... My insurance gave me an award for the most bizarre claim. Likely some stupid kid thought it was a great idea. I found half the ball when the tow truck showed up.