PDA

View Full Version : Question on labor for suspension

dirtjumper577
12-10-2005, 10:40 PM
a local mechanic quoted me 9 hours @ $98/hour to replace my upper and lower control arms and all that goes with control arms, sway bar links ext. Throw on some coilovers or just some new shocks and springs. and replace both front wheel bearings. does that sound about right or im i just getting ripped off.
thanks

robsilvr85
12-10-2005, 10:51 PM
geez...98 bucks for a local mechanic! Thats like the labor for a stealership. Check out other shops bro...

SeanF
12-10-2005, 11:01 PM
yea... definately check into other shops... audi is 101 per hour in charlotte...

the shop i go to for most issues is $60 an hour...

alot of that stuff you listed is just nut and bolt stuff you could likely do yourself... and i dont think all of that stuff would take 9 hours...

i could do the springs/shocks in about 2-3 hours...

ExpLlclT
12-10-2005, 11:20 PM
?!?!?!

dirtjumper577
12-10-2005, 11:33 PM
allright i can look around. what type of tools do i need to do all the work? anything that is special that i would need

diegomatrix
12-10-2005, 11:48 PM
you'll need a special tool to help you push the wheel bearings out of it's housing... you can rent that at autozone

you'll also need a big hammer, but i'd prefer an aluminum bat (or any slugger would do).... you'll need it when you start getting pissed off when you're doing the control arms.... nyahahah......stupid bolts...

btw, go do your lower control arms at the dealership...it's under recall..

undertow999
12-11-2005, 01:08 AM
where in CA are you located? If in SoCAal I can recommend a couple great indi shops

SeanF
12-11-2005, 08:41 AM
its weird, i never had any problems with any of the suspension bolts, but right before i messed with them, the lower control arms were replaced under that service action... its not a recall, they just inspect them and replace them only if they have to...

dirtjumper577
12-11-2005, 10:18 AM
do they replace them for free? i am in nor cal, east bay area

undertow999
12-11-2005, 11:42 PM
the only replace the lower ones if needed, and yes its free.

MR VTEC
12-12-2005, 06:47 AM
$240 I paid to replace all the tie rods and control arms and oil change. he did have it the whole day though. i say about 5-6 hrs worth of work

lude2euroa4
12-12-2005, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by diegomatrix
you'll need a special tool to help you push the wheel bearings out of it's housing... you can rent that at autozone

you'll also need a big hammer, but i'd prefer an aluminum bat (or any slugger would do).... you'll need it when you start getting pissed off when you're doing the control arms.... nyahahah......stupid bolts...

btw, go do your lower control arms at the dealership...it's under recall..

WAIT UP!! this is under recall?!!! you serious!

i have a 97 1.8, and i have huge creeking noise when my driver side bounces up and down, it sounds like its coming from the center of he wheel like behind there, i was told it might be tie rods but also heard it might be control arms, is that control arms? AND if i go to dealership is that gonna be cover by the recall?

please god let it be its so ANOYING! someone help me out here, also anyone know where i can post video clips i would post the sound on this thread.

SeanF
12-12-2005, 07:50 AM
its not a recall, its a service action....

meaning you bring it in, they inspect it, and if needed, replace the control arms...

PS... you dont need to take the upper control arms off the steering knuckle to replace your struts springs...

its 3 bolts per side that you need to take out, then 5 in the back...

Scuba06Steve
12-12-2005, 10:04 AM
i went to the stealership when i got the letter in the mail saying there was a recall for that about 10 months ago.

they didnt tell me if they needed to be replaced but they did replace them for free so anyways u should go get ur checked out...

Gundem
12-12-2005, 05:14 PM
my dad's freind did it for my freind for $65 an hour

jjjoe
12-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Go to the Nor Cal forum and ask there. You will get some good recommendations for shops.

OutkastSL
12-12-2005, 10:24 PM
since you are local, i would recommend sgt in fremont. check out www.streetgeektuning.com and call/talk to tim. he helped me out with my avant.

Wholsea
12-13-2005, 06:24 AM
The labor to replace all of the control arms can easily go to 9-10 hours, depending on the tools you have.

Most air tools will not fit into the locations where most of the bolts for the lower control arms are (You have like a 2" by 1.5" hole to fit a wrench in, and only about 1/4 turn of motion you can get out of that wrench, couple that with the fact that the bolts are like 5-6" long, it takes quite a while to get it un-bolted)

Sometimes you have to lower the subframe a bit to even get the rear lower bolts out. Not to mention the long bolt that holds the ball joints of the upper arms to the wheel bearing housing (You all know which one I am talkin about)

I did my own in about 10 hours, but it took a bit longer on a friend of mine's b/c the tie-rod end's were rusted solid (Had to cut/re-drill), and the upper bolt for the upper CAs was fused solid.

Personally, I'd rather do 2 timing belt jobs than 1 control arm job.

Oh, don't forget that you'll need an allignment after you get the CAs replaced.

As far as wheel bearings go... those should cost next to nothing. ($40 a side labor total + the $60 or so for the new bearing) If you do the CAs yourself, pull the assy apart, and take the housings to a local shop, have them press the new bearings for you...

wakko
12-13-2005, 11:08 AM
dirt, I am from Socal and I go to VWSpecilties for my maintenance work. As a matter of fact, I am going there this week for my C-arms, upper-sway, cv-boot, possibly the front bearings as well, and I was quoted about $450-500.

Give them a call to look for ur options.