PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug gods...I need help.

TJHUB
12-09-2005, 06:16 PM
I was emailing back and forth with Mike @ AWE-Tuning about my poor fuel mileage and black soot coming out of my tail pipe and that I'm wondering if I'm running rich. This black soot started when I upgraded my software from K03 to K04 and added a 5 bar FPR. Also, the car never felt as quick with the K04 software as it did with the K03. Anyway I'm getting about 20.5 mpg mixed driving mostly interstate and I was at 24-25 mpg with the K03 software and 4 bar FPR.

Mike suggested that I lose the NGK BRK6E and go back to the Bosch F7LTCR that the setup I have was designed for. Now, I have searched and did read a ton of info and opinions on spark plugs and gapping and I'm asking you this: Could it be that my setup doesn't like the .028" gapped NGK's and I'm not getting a good burn in the cylinders? Would increasing the gap slightly help this condition?

My new Borla exhaust tips are black after about 50 miles of driving and I'm getting pretty sick of the black stuff speckling my bumper too.

What do you think?

turbojunkie
12-09-2005, 07:32 PM
Was the k04 software intendend for a 4 bar rail or the 5 bar you put on..... If it was intended for the 4 bar, than I'm assuming that that's the problem......but I could be wrong.

TJHUB
12-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Yes the 5 bar is necessary for this setup. I emailed AWE to see if they thought maybe their supplied 5 bar (which is really a modified 4 bar) was faulty in some way. They really don't seem to be going down that path. I just really want to know about the spark plugs and gaps question.

turbojunkie
12-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by TJHUB
Yes the 5 bar is necessary for this setup. I emailed AWE to see if they thought maybe their supplied 5 bar (which is really a modified 4 bar) was faulty in some way. They really don't seem to be going down that path. I just really want to know about the spark plugs and gaps question.

Cool, just making a suggestion.

bitterchild
12-09-2005, 10:01 PM
you're most definetely running rich. are you sure you don't have any codes? bkr6e and f7ltcr is the same heat range. only difference is multi prong platinum

Quattrocket
12-09-2005, 11:59 PM
i think Im the spark plug GOD because Ive fouled about 4 sets trying to tune this goddamn pc-16 set-up. Its all good now though.
BTW def. running rich thats what my plugs looked like except mine wouldnt fire.

TJHUB
12-10-2005, 07:34 AM
bitterchild: I ran a scan this morning for all codes and I didn't have any. I think it's running rich too, but the question is why? I was thinking it was the 5 bar FPR.

TJHUB
12-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Quattrocket: What did you do to fix your problem?

bitterchild
12-10-2005, 07:55 AM
you should see my pile of bkr's. There's at least 50 of em in a bucket

TJHUB
12-10-2005, 08:10 AM
bitterchild: Any suggestions on what I should try? I'm going to get new plugs and try a bigger gap (.032") for grins. I'm really thinking I should just get an adjustable FPR and tune the fuel down using my VAG-COM to check block 31 to verify that I don't lean out the motor.

bitterchild
12-10-2005, 08:35 AM
First of all, a narrowband o2 is useless for any readings under load. I find it odd that a kit from awe would need that much additional tuning. I would throw on a wideband to check the a/f. One thing you should check is whether it is running rich during part throttle, low load and/or under wot. To do this you would want to put in new plugs, idle up and shut the car off immediately. Check the plug, if it's rich, put a new one in and go WOT somewhere. Shut off the car before you let off the gas and pull another plug. If it were rich in both scenarios you may get by adjusting the rail pressure

Quattrocket
12-10-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by TJHUB
Quattrocket: What did you do to fix your problem?
i dialed down the pressure until the plugs stop fouling. Then I ran it like that for a little while. nothing crazy just for a little bit. then slowly and gradually moved it back up until I got almost to the suggeseted pressure without fouling. I think that everything just got carboned up inside because i ran it really rich unwitingly at first. As the engine cleaned itself out over time it kept fouling plugs. Thats when I ran the seafoam through it and killed 2 more sets as the carbon cleared, now its back to pretty well normal.
SSSSSSSSKAAAAAHH! I heart my k04