PDA

View Full Version : How do you react?

TheRedGlacier
02-02-2017, 04:38 AM
When your engine isn't at operating temperature yet, and you're at a red light. When it turns green, most of you would most likely do as I do, and accelerate slowly/ stay out of boost. Well how do you feel about the inevitable d***s who fly up on you, then aggressively change lanes while you are accelerating "Oh so slowly"?

It frustrates me more than I feel like it should. Sorry haha, its been bugging me for a few days. Sometimes I'll laugh about it, sometimes I'll feel like a jerk for going "slow", but its not my fault that I'm trying to avoid abusing my car. Right? Haha.

yxri
02-02-2017, 05:12 AM
When your engine isn't at operating temperature yet, and you're at a red light. When it turns green, most of you would most likely do as I do, and accelerate slowly/ stay out of boost. Well how do you feel about the inevitable d***s who fly up on you, then aggressively change lanes while you are accelerating "Oh so slowly"?

It frustrates me more than I feel like it should. Sorry haha, its been bugging me for a few days. Sometimes I'll laugh about it, sometimes I'll feel like a jerk for going "slow", but its not my fault that I'm trying to avoid abusing my car. Right? Haha.

Same problem. My thermostat is stuck open so I takes twice as long to warm up my car. I dont go over 3k rpms all the way to work.

b6Hate4
02-02-2017, 05:18 AM
I slow down even more.

Slow and steady wins the race.

rockbeau25
02-02-2017, 05:21 AM
Happened to me yesterday. Dumbass passed me in oncoming traffic

yxri
02-02-2017, 05:56 AM
Happened to me yesterday. Dumbass passed me in oncoming traffic

Probably was driving a BMW.

rockbeau25
02-02-2017, 05:58 AM
Probably was driving a BMW.

Nah some neck beard white trash fatass in an impala

TheRedGlacier
02-02-2017, 05:58 AM
Same problem. My thermostat is stuck open so I takes twice as long to warm up my car. I dont go over 3k rpms all the way to work.

That's gotta suck man.

I purposely will leave like 15-20 minutes before work or school so I can get everything warmed up all the way, since I live a mile away, and like 10 miles away from school.

I think the funniest thing is when somebody who owns a boosted car does it. This one kid at my school has an Evo X, and I know for a fact his car was cold, GUNS it past me right onto the street. Poor turbocharger.

QuinnsterKID
02-02-2017, 06:27 AM
How long does it take you east coast guys for your cars to warm up? It was a chilly 67 here in Vegas yesterday haha

TheRedGlacier
02-02-2017, 06:45 AM
This morning, it took me about 5-10 miles while going between 25-50 mph. Its 26 out right now where I am. When it gets closer to 0, it takes more like 15 miles.

b6Hate4
02-02-2017, 06:48 AM
My thermostat is also stuck open, So I usually take the B8, last night I rigged up a piece of cardboard over the upper half of the radiator to take out the B5 for a cruise, worked beautifully. Hopefully next month it will be warm enough for a TB job.

yxri
02-02-2017, 06:51 AM
It's 20 degrees here in Michigan.

This morning, it took me about 5-10 miles while going between 25-50 mph. Its 26 out right now where I am. When it gets closer to 0, it takes more like 15 miles.

I also let the run for 10 minutes just so it isnt completely cold when I start to drive it.

TheRedGlacier
02-02-2017, 07:06 AM
That's what my parents usually do, but the manual insists it is best to drive the car as soon as you start it. I always give the car like 30 seconds to a minute to circulate the oil, but they claim that it causes premature wear in certain areas. I don't really buy that. The only thing I could see is carbon buildup.

yxri
02-02-2017, 07:18 AM
That's what my parents usually do, but the manual insists it is best to drive the car as soon as you start it. I always give the car like 30 seconds to a minute to circulate the oil, but they claim that it causes premature wear in certain areas. I don't really buy that. The only thing I could see is carbon buildup.

Thats bullshit. I read an article the reason that the manual says that is to reduce emissions in general. If everyone let their car idle for 10 minutes the amount of pollution would be greatly increased. Lies from the government. I'm also straight piped so yah doesn't really help the environment too much.

LINK to article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/01/06/this-is-why-people-still-think-they-should-idle-their-cars-in-winter/?utm_term=.4a7bcf1e8f58

andyrew
02-02-2017, 07:31 AM
Let idle for 30 seconds to idle down and circulate oil, then drive like normal. Couple PSI is fine. I dont get into real boost till I get a reading from the temp guage, once I do I dont mind getting into boost but try not to go full throttle till about 160deg.

Believer
02-02-2017, 07:52 AM
Let idle for 30 seconds to idle down and circulate oil, then drive like normal. Couple PSI is fine. I dont get into real boost till I get a reading from the temp guage, once I do I dont mind getting into boost but try not to go full throttle till about 160deg.

This is pretty much my process. I will let idle, the time depends on if I start it then run back inside for something or if I am just waiting for high idle to come down. I won't go more than a few PSI until I see movement on the oil gauge.

Seerlah
02-02-2017, 08:26 AM
Let car idle out of cold start rpm, then cruise with rpm 4k tops. You can feel what the engine does and does not like. Starts off 3k rpm tops to like 4.5k rpm tops gradually. Then your coolant is up to temp and oil follows right after.

NickW3
02-02-2017, 09:45 AM

This should not frustrate you less than it does. Because I know nothing bothers me more (besides maybe people that have their windshield wipers at full speed when its barely drizzling[facepalm]), than when people do this, which is every day here in NJ.[headbang] People beep, aggressively change lanes like you said, and ride your ass, and I don't understand why. I actually care about my car and don't want to have to replace my turbo and/or engine after a few thousand miles. I've thought about it and I think there's two main reasons these people are such jackasses:

1) Because a lot of people lease cars and don't care what happens to it because its not their problem after 3 years; so you might as well beat the piss out of it.
2) A lot of people nowadays are just ignorant and have not the slightest amount of knowledge about cars and engines, so they then proceed to get mad at the people who actually care about our cars, like all of us here, and then floor their cars and pass you while beeping, and while their engine is cold.

This is especially confusing while on the highway, because I'm in the SLOW lane going the speed limit or just under, waiting to get up to operating temp, and these same people drive right up on my ass like their isn't 5 open lanes right next to them where people are going faster. This is why it's called the slow lane, for people that are going slower, aka me. Sorry for the little rant, but this has bothered me for a while now and i've been waiting for someone to make a post about it lol.

JetG0ld
02-02-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm swapping my turbo out for a GT2871R soon, so prior to knowing that for sure I was babying the car around while cold. I did let it rip when the coolant was only warmed up the other day and in the cold crisp air in the morning it wanted to fly.

Spectre1130
02-02-2017, 03:00 PM
Don't let stupid drivers get to you, I used to be a very angry driver. Now I just laugh and flip them off if they are extremely aggressive. I carry a 1911 in my glove box and could care less what they do as long as they don't hit me.

EDIT: Don't carry a gun in your car if you get easily bothered by stupid drivers btw.

TheRedGlacier
02-02-2017, 04:31 PM
Don't let stupid drivers get to you, I used to be a very angry driver. Now I just laugh and flip them off if they are extremely aggressive. I carry a 1911 in my glove box and could care less what they do as long as they don't hit me.

I like you. Lol. Sidenote, 1911s are beautiful. Good man.

Back on point... I don't give in to what they want, but still gets to me how ignorant these people are with their cars. Like Nick said, they just don't seem to care as most people lease them and abuse them.

Turbo_B5
02-02-2017, 04:42 PM
zero fucks with k03, let it idle for like a minute then romp the fuck out of it. I'm usually under 10psi on the k04 untill its warm but other times zero fucks.

Spectre1130
02-02-2017, 04:45 PM
I like you. Lol. Sidenote, 1911s are beautiful. Good man.

Back on point... I don't give in to what they want, but still gets to me how ignorant these people are with their cars. Like Nick said, they just don't seem to care as most people lease them and abuse them.

It's a RIA 1911, little cheap thing. I also CC my S&W M&P .45, so I guess if I needed to I could go dual wield status if someone messes with me while I'm in my car.

There are a ton of people like that where I live though. Most are military/assholes (I'm a veteran, not calling all military assholes) in a big truck. They fly up behind you and tail gate you for a while then aggressively speed around you and go hauling off down the road at 15-20 mph over the speed limit. I really just wish mounting guns on cars (only my car) like in death race was okay. It could solve so many issues.

I generally don't keep my car out of boost while warming up. I just don't beat on it. Also never feel like a jerk as long as you are driving safe.

yxri
02-02-2017, 08:35 PM
zero fucks with k03, let it idle for like a minute then romp the fuck out of it. I'm usually under 10psi on the k04 untill its warm but other times zero fucks.

I like your attitude.

*2 months into future*

King posts "guys have problem. Turbo seems to be fucked. Any help??!??"

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

Turbo_B5
02-02-2017, 08:45 PM
I like your attitude.

*2 months into future*

King posts "guys have problem. Turbo seems to be fucked. Any help??!??"

I've been beating on it for a year. :)

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 6s iOS9.3.3 using Tapashit

chris164935
02-02-2017, 11:51 PM
Lol. This thread is funny. You're worried about your turbocharger blowing up because you hit 1 psi before the engine wasn't up to temperature but you'll let your car idle for 10 minutes in the cold? The ECU dumps more fuel during cold starts because the fuel has a harder time vaporizing when it's cold. This makes the combustion process harder and likely to leave some unburnt gas in the cylinder that could potentially wash the oil of the cylinder walls causing excessive wear on the piston rings and/or cylinder walls.

And I drove my previous B5 daily for over 10 years, and at least 5 of those years I was on the highway doing 80 3-4 minutes after leaving work. Same turbo and motor. No excuses for driving like a grandma... Unless you are one.

WillŽnskraft
02-03-2017, 12:05 AM
Don't have a B5, but I do the same both from a stoplight and coasting towards a redlight. Mostly to conserve fuel. Besides, as a general rule of dumb I have to see the entire front end of the vehicle behind me. Otherwise it just gets to me.

Mattr567
02-03-2017, 08:13 AM
I don't let it idle, max for like a minute. Then shift a little earlier than normal, 4300k or under which is in boost a bit but not beating on it.

If it's cold enough outside for the first like 2-3 minutes on boost it will make the dentist drill sound, but will go away pretty quick.

Sent from my A0001 using Audizine mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

yxri
02-03-2017, 10:07 AM
Lol. This thread is funny. You're worried about your turbocharger blowing up because you hit 1 psi before the engine wasn't up to temperature but you'll let your car idle for 10 minutes in the cold? The ECU dumps more fuel during cold starts because the fuel has a harder time vaporizing when it's cold. This makes the combustion process harder and likely to leave some unburnt gas in the cylinder that could potentially wash the oil of the cylinder walls causing excessive wear on the piston rings and/or cylinder walls.

And I drove my previous B5 daily for over 10 years, and at least 5 of those years I was on the highway doing 80 3-4 minutes after leaving work. Same turbo and motor. No excuses for driving like a grandma... Unless you are one.

Redline a cold start !!! jkjk. [:D] But do it and film it for my pleasure. But Cold is all relative.... I live in Michigan and my "cold" is a lot colder than people who live in the south. today it is 14 degrees out. Not the favorite spot for your oil to be in.

blitz2190
02-03-2017, 10:18 AM
tailgating is just natural driving over here, if you were doing 5 over or 50 over someone here will still be on your ass until you move then they get in front of you and slow down lol, Its the masshole way. If you don't get cut off 5 times, tailgated and honked at your having a good day.

b6Hate4
02-03-2017, 10:35 AM
tailgating is just natural driving over here, if you were doing 5 over or 50 over someone here will still be on your ass until you move then they get in front of you and slow down lol, Its the masshole way. If you don't get cut off 5 times, tailgated and honked at your having a good day.

QFT. NE drivers can eff off.

yxri
02-03-2017, 11:17 AM
QFT. NE drivers can eff off.

Michigan is pretty nice about it. Besides that we have legit no car laws so you can drive our damn go kart on the road. People don't bother getting anything fixed

Dan[FN]6262
02-03-2017, 11:32 AM
I let it idle for about 3 minutes then rip and tear.

Avant Nate
02-03-2017, 06:07 PM

I second this, just drive like a normal person. Then when it's warm, then beat the shit out of it.

jacobsen
02-04-2017, 03:13 AM
If you live in an area where it gets down to single-digits and Below. Like here in Minnesota it's normal to have negative 20 or even the occasional -40 or 50 I mean it doesn't happen all the time but it's going to happen from time to time. You'd be a real dummy if you just started your car and drove off with the motor and transmission that cold. You definitely have to give it a 10 or 15 minute warm up here just to get the juices flowing and some kind of Heat going. Rapid Heating and Cooling are never good for metal, cars get a real beating up here in Minnesota. Winter will expose problems and weaknesses that's for sure.

As for the dipshit who thinks he's going to pass me because I'm being a reasonable safe driver... That's easy, follow them to work and gun them down. Then take the carcass and turn it into human jerky. Send an anonymous gift package to their work and after everyone's polished off the last of the jerky. Tell them the news.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Luxus Panzer
02-04-2017, 07:16 AM
I ignore idiots.

Dan[FN]6262
02-04-2017, 08:17 AM
As for the dipshit who thinks he's going to pass me because I'm being a reasonable safe driver... That's easy, follow them to work and gun them down. Then take the carcass and turn it into human jerky. Send an anonymous gift package to their work and after everyone's polished off the last of the jerky. Tell them the news.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You're fucked

B5nDisciple
02-04-2017, 11:02 AM
This is pretty much my process. I will let idle, the time depends on if I start it then run back inside for something or if I am just waiting for high idle to come down. I won't go more than a few PSI until I see movement on the oil gauge.
This is what I do. I try to stay completely out of boost until the oil temp gauge moves, but that usually doesn't happen. Under a few psi is usually where I'm at. I also will stay completely out of boost until the coolant temp is up to operating temp, and then less than 3 psi until oil gauge budges.

But it is annoying having to accelerate that slowly. Cars behind end up getting too close for comfort as I shift normal form 1-2 and 2-3.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

TheRedGlacier
02-04-2017, 02:00 PM
I stay completely out of boost until a few miles after my coolant temp hits the middle (My oil gauge is non-functional due to a bad sensor. I replaced it with a Napa sensor, but that didn't work, so I'm waiting for the next oil change to put my Hella one in).

Slow acceleration is even more frustrating with sticky tranny oil. When the engine/trans are cold, I go to shift from first to second, and I have to wiggle it in neutral (not double clutch) once and then it'll slide into 2nd. If I don't, I either have to fight the synchros ( which is :( ) or I'll hear a clunk or whatever. So I just do that most of the time.

Anyways, I generally rev up to a max of 2800 while the car is COLD. Once the coolant gauge starts to move, I'll let her go to 3k. At full hot, I never shift more than 3,200 rpm, unless I'm driving in a spirited way.

Joe Jr.
12-15-2017, 10:06 AM
just came across this thread. it's interesting here in colorado. in the mornings here now it can be down around 20 degrees then by lunchtime its 60. Big temp change here everyday. So in the mornings i stay out of boost until i get normal temp reading on the coolant gauge. But i hate when people ride my ass in the mornings before the car is warmed up. I always want to tell people to leave a cup of motor oil out in the garage or outside during the winter so you can see how damn thick the oil gets. But most don't give a flying crap about their cars. They just buy a new one after their current loan is paid for....ok off my rant. lol

Joe Jr.
12-15-2017, 10:16 AM

what's the coldest it ever gets in Florida? lol...does it ever drop down to 32 deg?

QuattroLegacy
12-15-2017, 10:28 AM
I feel the same way when people do that crap and Iím letting the engine warm. Where I park at my college means that in the time it takes for me to start my car and then get off-campus to the main road, the engine is warmed up. I still donít romp it above 4k rpmís until Iíve been driving for about 15 min.; plus I go to school in FL so it rarely gets below 40 degrees