PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain mount help?

TheRedGlacier
01-31-2017, 04:52 PM
Hey guys, I want to tighten up my drivetrain. Its um.. pretty sloppy at times. So I am putting a little chunk of my tax return into mounts; since my trans and engine mounts are pretty much shot. The car occasionally will psuedo nose dive when engine braking quickly, and the gear shifts are either sometimes not precise, and or the car will thunk when releasing the clutch even SLOWLY.
I'm also spending a little for a tranny flush and gear oil since first and second tend to stick in cold weather until everything is warmed up, and I really don't want to damage the synchros by forcing the gear.

Anyways, I was wondering, could I use Stern transmission mounts with OEM Hydraulic engine mounts? (I already had them lying around) What would I use for the second trans mount (manual 1.8t)? Also, should I bother getting a beefed up rear diff mount? If so, what are some suggestions?

redline380
01-31-2017, 06:11 PM
Might be best to use a DTS bar

MarcRogers
01-31-2017, 06:25 PM
I have 034 track mounts. For my trans. And I will be ordering the motor mounts. And I have a ECS rear diff mount. Huge difference. If you can deal with the vibrations it's worth it but if not they have a street density option which have less vibrations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DND
01-31-2017, 08:18 PM
The DTS I have uses a Chevy transmission anchor that costs a whopping $6 to replace, what an overpriced part when put on an Audi in an aftermarket kit (I had no idea when I bought the DTS).
I wouldn't make those transmission mounts too stiff, things need to move a bit for a reason... (or your car will break parts like mine has).

OverSpun
01-31-2017, 08:53 PM
I have 034's. The OEM motor mounts are fluid filled and leak when theyre toast. One of my was leaking so I replaced both with 034's stuff.

snub mount https://store.034motorsport.com/snub-mount-with-bracket-late-b5-a4-1-8t-awm.html
street motor mounts https://store.034motorsport.com/motor-mount-density-line-b5-b6-b7-and-c5.html
street trans mounts https://store.034motorsport.com/transmission-mount-density-line-b5-c5-audi-a4-s4-rs4-a6-s6-allroad.html and https://store.034motorsport.com/transmission-mount-density-line-a4-1-8t-drivers-side.html

I also have their adjustable upper control arms, rear sway bar, brackets, and adjustable end links.

Besides, I bought this breather kit asap since the car previously had some sludge issues with the previous owner- https://store.034motorsport.com/breather-hose-kit-aug-awm-amb-b5-b6-audi-a4-volkswagen-passat-1-8t-reinforced-silicone.html

I will eventually get this when I am bored- https://store.034motorsport.com/rear-differential-mount-polyurethane-billet-aluminum-b4-b5-audi-chassis.html

TheRedGlacier
01-31-2017, 09:05 PM
Alright thanks very much everyone! I've been contemplating a DTS (I've been told to only buy one with a poly mount kit?), but I kept reading that it doesn't make a difference, then that it's just a band aid.. ect. Then I've heard that it is amazing in every way... Anyways, so if I go with something such as 034 Street density, would that be an appropriate replacement for my transmission mounts while using the OEM engine mounts? Or is there too much a difference in stiffness between the two?

OverSpun
01-31-2017, 09:08 PM
Alright thanks very much everyone! I've been contemplating a DTS (I've been told to only buy one with a poly mount kit?), but I kept reading that it doesn't make a difference, then that it's just a band aid.. ect. Then I've heard that it is amazing in every way... Anyways, so if I go with something such as 034 Street density, would that be an appropriate replacement for my transmission mounts while using the OEM engine mounts? Or is there too much a difference in stiffness between the two?

Snub mounts are a lot less expensive than a DTS. IIRC, there is a significant amount of vibration while using an upgraded snub mount with a DTS but I have not ever bothered with it but my car feels pretty solid with my mounts.

btw, if you still have the original mounts, they are probably all shot at this point.

TheRedGlacier
01-31-2017, 09:16 PM
I put a new snubber in when I was doing my timing belt last month. Excuse my silly wording.. I meant I had purchased OEM engine mounts to put into the A4, and I just thought to tighten up the drivetrain within the past few days.

Davdraco1
02-01-2017, 06:03 AM
I have ECS poly snub and rear diff mount. 034 street density motor/trans/ rear diff carrier mounts. I get vibrations till about 2200 rpm. Then it's smooth after that. If I'm sitting still with AC on it vibrates bad bc if the poly snub. But none is this bothers me. I do a lot of high way driving so I'm never under 2200 rpm. Im interested in getting a DTS. what's the one that uses the Chevy mount?

MarcRogers
02-01-2017, 07:01 AM
Can someone inform me on the DTS? I'm missing something here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seerlah
02-01-2017, 07:27 AM
Drivetrain stabilizer bar. The factory one is trash, and I actually don't even have one. Was so rusted it broke in half...and I just took it off after that with no plans to replace it.

The factory one is like a metal strip that runs from one end of the subframe to the other, supposedly designed to keep the chasis more firm (from twisting). If you think about it...kind of a big burden for a strip of metal of you ask me?!?! So...not replacing it and have been fine for a while now. I do run 034 SD mounts all around, including 034 snub mount with cage. Then Stern Power Ring and Stern poly mounts for the rear carrier mounts. JHM Trio and 4:1 diy center diff mod and that is about it for my drivetrain mods.

But to me, I would not be surprised if your stock snub mount is trashed. I would start there. Aftermarket dts bars are more stout and seem they actually can keep things more tight. But the bonus with the ASP bar is it has a provision in the middle with rubber mount that can support the transmossion. My car is lowered enough to trash that unit and why I never purchased. But it is a well designed upgrade IMO.

OverSpun
02-01-2017, 06:16 PM
I put a new snubber in when I was doing my timing belt last month. Excuse my silly wording.. I meant I had purchased OEM engine mounts to put into the A4, and I just thought to tighten up the drivetrain within the past few days.

Just bought new OEM mounts? Those won't help a lot unless all of your mounts were shot. [:p] The 1.8t and S4 motor mounts are filled and will eventually leak and fail. Some say that the 2.8 motor mounts are void-free without fluid but I do not have those.

Seerlah
02-01-2017, 06:23 PM
^Missed that part, quoted and not. Disregard partially my initial response in relation to the snub mount.

Nick, thanks for pointing out I missed that!

TheRedGlacier
02-01-2017, 06:27 PM
From what I can tell, my engine mounts are shot (gunk dried on the sides that looks like the hydraulic fluid), tranny mounts are shot. Snub WAS shot, but I replaced it with standard rubber so I had SOMETHING that wasn't cracked in four places.

OverSpun
02-02-2017, 03:01 PM
From what I can tell, my engine mounts are shot (gunk dried on the sides that looks like the hydraulic fluid), tranny mounts are shot. Snub WAS shot, but I replaced it with standard rubber so I had SOMETHING that wasn't cracked in four places.

You definitely should replace the motor mounts. I prefer the street mounts to minimize chattering. I like mine. A higher density snub mount will feel better than the stock one (even better than a brand new OEM one). It definitely helps to help that sloppy trans feel. In the only days, I think we used to call that as the cheapest and best mod. But not the fastest install with the B5. But they are super fast with the B6 :)

b6Hate4
02-04-2017, 08:31 AM
My 2.7t DESPERATELY needs to be locked down.

Had I known how bad the motor is moving around I would have gone stern solid mounts instead of OE s4 mounts. I'm hoping a rear diff mount and snub mount help out a bit.

DND
02-05-2017, 08:27 AM
I'm going to take the opposite position, I regret ever replacing my perfectly good motor mounts with street density mounts, vibrations from hell. [headbang]

DND
02-05-2017, 08:29 AM
I think I have the AWE DTS: http://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-tuning-drive-train-stabilizer-dts
"Funny" how much that cheap little Chevy transmission anchor it uses costs with it though...

redline380
02-05-2017, 09:07 AM
I think I have the AWE DTS: http://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-tuning-drive-train-stabilizer-dts

"Funny" how much that cheap little Chevy transmission anchor it uses costs with it though...

That's because when you order the mount, you don't just get the mount, you get the whole hardware package, including the 01a adapter.

OverSpun
02-05-2017, 05:06 PM
I'm going to take the opposite position, I regret ever replacing my perfectly good motor mounts with street density mounts, vibrations from hell. [headbang]

Mine don't vibrate, Yours are probably incorrectly installed.

redline380
02-05-2017, 05:16 PM

After doing stern motor mounts, stern and 034 tranny mounts, and the awe dts bar, I get plenty of vibrations. Enough to make the keys jingle at idle. Kinda like it

TheRedGlacier
02-05-2017, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't mind the vibrations in say, the Trans Am. Hell, the seats and the shift knob are always shaking at idle on stock rubber mounts. But like in the Audi, I'd prefer to just get as tight of a drivetrain as I can, before getting very noticible vibration. A little is okay for me, but I can only imagine feeling like there is a misfire all the time or something.

Oh I just noticed today that the shift knob seems to vibrate rapidly in second gear. In the A4, I mean.

DND
02-06-2017, 11:26 AM

Well, either I was accidentally shipped the track density mounts, or my engine is unbalanced, or a certified VAG mechanic doesn't know how to install motor mounts. I highly doubt it is the last one. [;)]

redline380
02-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Well, either I was accidentally shipped the track density mounts, or my engine is unbalanced, or a certified VAG mechanic doesn't know how to install motor mounts. I highly doubt it is the last one. [;)]

Lol certified vag mechanic. Those are called ob-gyn.

b6Hate4
02-06-2017, 11:50 AM
Lol certified vag mechanic. Those are called ob-gyn.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170206/b3dd2414205e0705d7174f13aab6b259.jpg

If your guy had this motor mount tool then they are installed correctly.

thedanplasse
02-06-2017, 11:55 AM
I speculate something's going wrong here

DeathKing
02-06-2017, 12:03 PM
Apikol Snub Mount
034 Street Engine Mounts
034 Track Trans Mounts

Only the slightest vibration at idle coming from the steering wheel area. If I grip the steering wheel then no noise so maybe there's something loose in the area that I could fix.

Even with the vibration I'd say they are 100% worth the improvement. But for the record I do occasionally get the gear change thunk when I'm not being extra careful so this didn't help that.

redline380
02-06-2017, 12:22 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170206/b3dd2414205e0705d7174f13aab6b259.jpg

If your guy had this motor mount tool then they are installed correctly.

"yup, this one is bored out"

JetG0ld
02-06-2017, 01:02 PM
^Thanks for making me laugh out loud at work Redline

In regards to mounts, I just put the 034 Billet Motorsport mounts in my B5. I like my car to be planted, and these mounts definitely accomplish that. They vibrate like mad, I had to chase down a dash rattle or two. In the end, they were worth it to me and I don't mind the extra noise/vibration. I also have a snub mount but i wasnt aware of the 034 cage when i purchased mine. Does anyone know if the cage can be had separate of the mount?

TheRedGlacier
02-13-2017, 04:52 AM
My friend offered to sell me his AWE DTS with the poly mounts, for $130 with light use. I think I may just swipe it from him.

JetG0ld
02-15-2017, 01:23 PM
I saw one on one of the B5 S4 Facebook groups, I almost grabbed it but I've invested loads of cash into my B5 in the last few months.

Davdraco1
02-15-2017, 03:22 PM
I've heard mixed feelings on the DTS. Especially on lowered cars

Seerlah
02-15-2017, 03:26 PM
If your car is lowered enough, it will get trashed.

JetG0ld
02-15-2017, 03:27 PM
Yeah I am lowered, and have heard the same about it getting trashed. But I've ALSO heard it really helps with DT slop.