PDA

View Full Version : Changing Shift Points (auto)

rjpiselli
01-31-2017, 09:44 AM
I recently bought a 2000 A4 Avant Quattro with the 2.8L and 5spd auto tip. First of all, it runs really well. The engine is strong and the transmission shifts smoothly. That being said, I suspect that this transmission is not the original, and also that it is from a 1.8t. I think this because although everything operates well, the RPMs seem awfully high, compared to my speed, for the 2.8L (approx. 4k at 70mph). I verified the speedo is accurate using a GPS.

Regardless, I am ok with that. The problem I have is that under WOT the trans doesn't shift until almost 7,500 rpm, which is about 1k past redline. Of course I can ease off the throttle to make the car shift or utilize the tip to shift on my own; but when I'm driving the car and feel like passing someone I'd like to be able to do so without the extra attention on my RPMs, and really would just like the peace of mind that would come with knowing the car wont go past redline.

So my question is: can I set shift points using vcds? If so how? If not, any suggestions on why this is allowing the engine to go so far past redline before shifting and what I could do to fix it? I've read online that there are tunes that will alter 'redline', but given that the car really doesn't perform any different than any of the other Audi's I've owned (b5 2.8L included), that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm not at all concerned with performance here, just practicality and everyday reliable driving.

Thanks in advance!

JetG0ld
01-31-2017, 01:39 PM
Wow, thats really interesting... I have no idea what would allow the car to do that... but have you looked at your TCM to verify the part # is for a 2.8 vs a 1.8t? Your TCM should be in your passenger floor board.

rjpiselli
01-31-2017, 05:23 PM
Wow, thats really interesting... I have no idea what would allow the car to do that... but have you looked at your TCM to verify the part # is for a 2.8 vs a 1.8t? Your TCM should be in your passenger floor board.

I've not. I figure regardless of which tcm is in the car, it's prob the one that's needed to make whatever parts are in the car work properly (or almost properly) lol

But now that you mention it I'll try to check that out. Just got a bit of snow here in pa. As soon as I get a half decent day I'll try to dig around and find the tcm

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

JetG0ld
02-01-2017, 09:39 AM
I could be totally wrong, but my thought was perhaps its a TCM for a 1.8t and is telling the Trans to shift later.

rjpiselli
02-01-2017, 01:47 PM
I could be totally wrong, but my thought was perhaps its a TCM for a 1.8t and is telling the Trans to shift later.

I'll check it out. If it is a tcm for a 1.8 I wonder if a tcm for a 2.8 would even work. If so, wouldn't seem like there'd have been a point in swapping it.

Thanks for the advice!

JetG0ld
02-01-2017, 03:10 PM
I'll check it out. If it is a tcm for a 1.8 I wonder if a tcm for a 2.8 would even work. If so, wouldn't seem like there'd have been a point in swapping it.

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah... That's beyond my level of peasant Audi Knowledge. Glad to try and help though!