PDA

View Full Version : Power seats in non power seated car?

JuggernautB5
01-30-2017, 03:11 PM
Hey so picked up a project car few weeks ago 01 1.8t 5spd needs some work but is a sold car for a project, the car currently has non-powered seats but they are heated and have power lumbar but manual everything else now with that being said can I swap a set of s4 seats with power adjusting and heated with power lumbar? Only asking cause current seats are smoked an can get a great deal on some clean s4 seats

P.S. Yes I searched couldn't find any solid answers
Thanks in advanced

TheRedGlacier
01-30-2017, 03:35 PM
You cannot use the stock 1.8t seat bracket for the S4 seats, if you had a 2.8 it would be plug and play. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/487858-Swapping-B5-S4-seats-into-an-B5-A4-(pictures-and-install)

Would love S4 seats, but for now its A4 flat seats for me. Was gonna buy some sport cloths, but the seller disappeared.

JuggernautB5
01-30-2017, 03:40 PM
I believe the seats come with the brackets

TheRedGlacier
01-30-2017, 04:34 PM
No like the mounting point is different in the 1.8t. the holes in the floor. The link says everything you need to know.

JuggernautB5
01-30-2017, 04:40 PM
Got ya, my biggest thing is gonna be the wiring I suck with wiring

TheRedGlacier
01-30-2017, 04:53 PM
I feel ya lol. Good luck man. I'd love me a set of S4 alcantaras. Or Terracotta buckets.

JuggernautB5
01-30-2017, 05:33 PM
Yea the terra cotta's are nice I'd love to do them seats with everything else black

- - - Updated - - -

Where about sin NY are you?

TheRedGlacier
01-31-2017, 01:26 AM
I'm like 20 minutes south of Buffalo. I've got a weird obsession with Terracotta haha

JuggernautB5
01-31-2017, 06:52 AM
Shit I'm on the other side of the state and the terra-cotta is sick I think it would look sexy as hell in my car but trying to find just the seats would be a nightmare

TheRedGlacier
01-31-2017, 07:39 AM
I'll be most likely swiping a set in the Spring, but that's top secret lol.

JetG0ld
01-31-2017, 09:21 AM
Got ya, my biggest thing is gonna be the wiring I suck with wiring

I just did a swap with a set of premium leather out of a V6 B5 and all I had to do was splice the old harness with the new, it worked fine. Pretty simple. I am trying to get my hands on a Alcantara S4 set...

crazyquik22023
01-31-2017, 09:25 AM
If the seats in your 01 are heated and have power lumbar it should be plug and play for a direct swap for the s4 seats. No splicing or wiring needed. As stated above the mounting is different. The easiest way to do it is drill the pre-marked spots in the floor and use nut-serts.

JetG0ld
01-31-2017, 09:43 AM
If the seats in your 01 are heated and have power lumbar it should be plug and play for a direct swap for the s4 seats. No splicing or wiring needed. As stated above the mounting is different. The easiest way to do it is drill the pre-marked spots in the floor and use nut-serts.

Well the issue I had was the seats were out of a pre-facelift car. My car is an 01 with power lumbar, but the connectors were different (I'm assuming since the donor seats are pre-facelift)

JuggernautB5
01-31-2017, 09:46 AM
Seats are out of an 01 s4 so looks like Ill just have to put some nutserts in and I'm good to go

JetG0ld
01-31-2017, 09:49 AM
Seats are out of an 01 s4 so looks like Ill just have to put some nutserts in and I'm good to go

That portion is pretty easy, either take your carpet out or be careful not to burn it [;)]

JuggernautB5
01-31-2017, 09:53 AM
Sorry it's a 2000 not 01

crazyquik22023
01-31-2017, 09:58 AM
Sorry it's a 2000 not 01

All b5 s4 seats should be plug and play for you. If you were trying to add pre-facelift a4 seats then the connectors might be different like JetG0ld said.

JuggernautB5
01-31-2017, 10:34 AM
Good deal

JetG0ld
01-31-2017, 11:14 AM
For the S4 seats do you have to grind off the center rail guide on the floor of the car? I had to do that as well for the pre-facelift seats.

crazyquik22023
02-01-2017, 03:33 AM
For the S4 seats do you have to grind off the center rail guide on the floor of the car? I had to do that as well for the pre-facelift seats.

Yes you do, I forgot about that.. It's been years since I swapped s4 seats into my a4. The center rail guide does need to be cut down. But should that should be easy enough for the OP if he has some type of cut off wheel or angle grinder.

JetG0ld
02-01-2017, 09:40 AM
Yeah it's not difficult, just be careful of carpet. I'd honestly recommend taking the carpet out if you can... I have grey carpet in my car though so it shows burns easily.

Knikkz31
02-02-2017, 12:15 PM
I did a lot of research on this when I was trying to replace my manual passenger seats with a power seat. The wiring wasn't the biggest issue as that just takes some splicing, etc. Like everyone else has said, the mounting of them becomes the issue. In my floor, the holes were already pre-drilled. However, I read that since the original seat wasn't mounted there, the floorboard wasn't reinforced as it should be to support the seat. The power seat in my car ('96) has another plate under the floorboard that is spot welded to the floor as some extra strength. Even that cracked at one point, so I ended up welding the crack and haven't had an issue since. This, along with the questionable strength of the nutserts in the case of a crash made me change my mind on how to upgrade my seats. Some people feel fine with the nutserts, while others were adamantly against them. I'm not going to recommend against them because I've seen them used in some industrial applications, but make sure you pick the right kind. YMMV.

It'd make all our lives easier if they did everything the same with these cars instead of changing their minds every couple years.

JetG0ld
02-02-2017, 02:02 PM
Yes, there definitely is some risk in using these nutserts. In all honesty, I think the rear rails that the seats slide into will help in an accident as it utilizes the same slides as the stock seats. I am not, in any way, saying this is completely safe. But I thought about it, and unless im mistaken, the seat would have to break free of the nutserts, and slide all the way out of the rails. I don't see this as a very likely thing to happen but it could!

Knikkz31
02-03-2017, 05:36 AM
Yes, there definitely is some risk in using these nutserts. In all honesty, I think the rear rails that the seats slide into will help in an accident as it utilizes the same slides as the stock seats. I am not, in any way, saying this is completely safe. But I thought about it, and unless im mistaken, the seat would have to break free of the nutserts, and slide all the way out of the rails. I don't see this as a very likely thing to happen but it could!

I agree. I don't think it is that likely for the seat to shear off the nutserts to begin with, let alone coming entirely unattached from the floor. Not to get dark, but wearing a seat belt would hopefully hold you and the seat in place anyways if the accident was that bad.