PDA

View Full Version : Port and Polished Exhaust Manifold, quite a surprise!!!!

geeboyjibber
12-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Well my K03 sport was making the infamous dentist drill sound and when I took it apart, I decided that it was a good time to put on our port and polished exhaust manifold. So after we started it up, after battling a tedious exhaust leak, we finally took her out for a test drive. And boy were we surprised. The car pulled noticeably stronger and boost held a little longer than before. Spoolup was also much shorter and boost was earlier than before.

Bear in mind that this is equipped with sh!tty Neuspeed programming. I bet if it were with a GIAC or APR chip, the yield would be much better.

Ultimately, with all our testing it only shows that our stock K03 is way too small and lacks top end. While this manifold may not cure the K03's horrible top end, we find that it is defitnitely a great bang for buck mod for those who cant afford or choose not to go for a turbo bigger than a K04. This mod is definetely a better mod in price and gains than any given intake kit.

Cheers,
Jon
IOTA Port and Polish Services (http://gotpnp.com/)

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2593audizine_iota3-med.JPG
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2593audizine_iota2-med.JPG
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2593audizine_iota-med.JPG

drlandry00
12-08-2005, 07:28 PM
who did the work?

geeboyjibber
12-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Our master tech.

www.gotpnp.com (http://gotpnp.com)
I guess the link was hard to see under my name in the original post.

drlandry00
12-08-2005, 07:35 PM
is this something one can do themselves? or do I need special high tech gadgets?

geeboyjibber
12-08-2005, 07:40 PM
You can try yourself at your own risk. Most consider port and polishing as an art more than a skill. It takes a trained eye as well as a steady hand. Our master tech has been doing this for years and has undergone rigorous training. Also, in most cases what looks good doesnt necessarily perform well. Proper tools i.e. flow bench are the only way to insure that airflow is maximized.

MR VTEC
12-08-2005, 07:41 PM
site doesn't say much

duhvinci
12-08-2005, 07:44 PM
So what would be the charge for doing something like this at your shop?

D

drlandry00
12-08-2005, 07:44 PM
where are you located geeboy?

ray-ray
12-08-2005, 07:46 PM
jon do you go to school at UCR?...and do ou drive that silver avant with OZ SL's?..i might have met up with you at a meet before.

geeboyjibber
12-08-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by MR VTEC
site doesn't say much

In the past, most of our services were targeted towards subarus. Lately we've started some R&D on our own project B5. We hope to have our site updated with more current Audi/VW information and pictures. Expect to see big changes with the site in the next couple days (I promise that this will not be "two weeks").

geeboyjibber
12-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by duhvinci
So what would be the charge for doing something like this at your shop?

D

We have done mostly local work for a few audi customers at 200 for the port and polish/manifold and 125+shipping for the service alone.

We also carry multiple manifolds for customers in need of core exchanges. This requires a $75 deposit that will be refunded upon return of your stock manifold.

geeboyjibber
12-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by ray-ray
jon do you go to school at UCR?...and do ou drive that silver avant with OZ SL's?..i might have met up with you at a meet before.

Hey ray! hows it goin?

Yup thats me :)

ray-ray
12-08-2005, 08:15 PM
cool nice to see you postin on AZ. i always see your car by MLK and Chicago on the corner with all the Subarus and VWs on the driveway when im going to RCC in the morning. we should meet up sometime again man. Go and get a GIAC chip on your car and put your new mani to its fullest potential![up]

tkarwin
12-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Hhhhmmm, I might be interested in this service. That is a good price for the service. Other places charge more.

Daddy Shroom
12-08-2005, 08:44 PM
Nice job!

[:D][up]

bitterchild
12-08-2005, 09:50 PM
apparently you guys haven't been around long enough to see manifold cracking both stock cores and ported pieces.

good prices and the turbine entry angles are pretty well defined considering.

thanks for contributing to the market, hope to see more from you guys

geeboyjibber
12-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by bitterchild
apparently you guys haven't been around long enough to see manifold cracking both stock cores and ported pieces.

good prices and the turbine entry angles are pretty well defined considering.

thanks for contributing to the market, hope to see more from you guys

Thanks for the compliment bitterchild.

We actually have noticed a lot of the stock manifolds with cracks near the manifold outlet. This is one reason we really spread caution to all of those attempting this. With regards to the manifold outlet, we were able to increase flow even futher on a earlier manifolds. however, because of the cracks we encountered, we believe that the final product above has the most efficient port that wouldn't further jeopardize the integrity of the manifold.

Jeff
12-09-2005, 12:42 PM
All stock mani's crack regardless. Porting it will just futher weaken its structural integrity.

bitterchild
12-10-2005, 12:20 AM
well if you could take a new old stock mani and cryo then coat it. It might do a little better. then again that's squeezing juice out of a bean

nizmosx
12-10-2005, 12:41 AM
i have this manifold... i wish i can tell you if it made a difference but i put it on right after i bought a new motor and put in a couple other parts at the same time. but the car does pull stronger. That might contribute to the fact that i had perfect compression with the new motor.

WhippeD
12-10-2005, 02:34 AM
do you think this power gain from port and polishing will be noticable for us 2.8 guys also?
if so i might be visiting your shop soon.

quickglx
12-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Jeff
All stock mani's crack regardless. Porting it will just futher weaken its structural integrity.

You and bitterchild make it seem like every manifold is cracked... I don't think this is as much of an issue as you make it out to be. I haven't seen or heard of ANY issues at my dealer, at stock boost levels anyway...

Jeff
12-10-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by quickglx
You and bitterchild make it seem like every manifold is cracked... I don't think this is as much of an issue as you make it out to be. I haven't seen or heard of ANY issues at my dealer, at stock boost levels anyway...

For stock applications, you will be fine (though you'll always have a hairline crack). As soon as boost levels and heat increase, the stock manifold (ported or unported) WILL crack. Perhaps I am running a bit too much power (320whp+ GT28RS on adapter plate), but as soon as I had the stock manifold ported, it cracked within a month. It's not the actual outside that cracks, it is typically the collector to runners 2 and 3 that starts from a hairline crack, to eventually splitting in half.

JeffM1587
12-10-2005, 03:17 PM
wanna talk about a crack
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/JeffMas/My%20Car/P1010354.jpg

A4ed
12-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Are you able to do this for 2.8s? Do you think the power difference will be worth $200?

A4ed
12-10-2005, 04:01 PM
hey whipped, when are you getting supercharged?

bitterchild
12-10-2005, 05:05 PM
a chipped k03 likely puts more stress on the manifold due to the heat and high backpressure. Then again a big ass turbo dumping fuel out w/ timing retard isn't any better. All I know is that it is well documented that the stock manifolds crack pretty much no matter what.

WhippeD
12-11-2005, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by A4ed
hey whipped, when are you getting supercharged?

after i got enough money from man whoring..lol...still workin on it dude..

now back to the question..
WILL THIS BE WORTH IT FOR US 2.8 GUYS?????

bmocnma4
12-11-2005, 06:53 PM
I just took a look at your website, and your pricing list.. Is this for Audi's as well? Also, how beneficial would these services be for a Naturally Aspirated Audi?

Thanks in Advance

geeboyjibber
12-14-2005, 05:34 AM
Currently, our only VAG project car is a 1.8t but we have been beta testing some exhaust manifolds for some local 2.8 customers. If anyone is interested, we are still looking for some local 2.8 beta testers for manifolds.
Throttle bodies on the other hand have completed testing for both 2.8 30V and 12V cars and have shown significant results in both throttle response across the powerband especially up top. For those of you that remember, TAP use to sell a ported throttle body but we can just port them and send them back to immediately. Turn around for throttle bodies are 1 business day with a downtime of no more than 3-4 business days.

geeboyjibber
12-14-2005, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by bmocnma4
I just took a look at your website, and your pricing list.. Is this for Audi's as well? Also, how beneficial would these services be for a Naturally Aspirated Audi?

Thanks in Advance

While the pricing that is listed on our website is specifically for Subarus at the moment, you can contact us for pricing which should be pretty close to what we have listed.

Entertainment72
12-14-2005, 06:01 AM
can u polish an ATP mani?

bitterchild
12-14-2005, 08:03 AM
should be a bit less since that 1.8t mani is a lot easier to pnp than your average subaru manifold

Hassmeister
12-14-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by geeboyjibber
We have done mostly local work for a few audi customers at 200 for the port and polish/manifold and 125+shipping for the service alone.

We also carry multiple manifolds for customers in need of core exchanges. This requires a $75 deposit that will be refunded upon return of your stock manifold.

Ouch.
We'd like to see some flow bench comparisons (stats) on stock vs the port/polished unit to be able to justify the down time and money spent on something like this.
Butt dyno is one thing, documented stats is another.

geeboyjibber
12-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Entertainment72
can u polish an ATP mani?

Absolutely!! You've got PM.

geeboyjibber
12-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Hassmeister
Ouch.
We'd like to see some flow bench comparisons (stats) on stock vs the port/polished unit to be able to justify the down time and money spent on something like this.
Butt dyno is one thing, documented stats is another.

When R&D is officially complete for 2.8 manifolds, we will provide flow tests and eventually dyno plots of before and after. Preliminary results from the 1.8T manifolds have yielded an increase of 14-17% (at 14.7 psi) in flow.

geeboyjibber
12-27-2005, 12:14 PM
so far we have great feedback from the community. Keep an eye out for even more stuff with pics to come.

cheers