PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever install a dash mounted headlight switch and remove the column one?

b5v6
01-23-2017, 05:01 PM
I'd like to install a headlight switch in the dash under the drivers side vent and tap the fogs into that. Anyone know if this has Ben done on a B5 before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OverSpun
01-23-2017, 05:20 PM
Why? You would have 2 switches. Sounds like an unnecessary waste of time.

Like the B6/7 A4s...?

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/Kengineer58/Headlight%20Switch/IMG_0475.jpg

TheRedGlacier
01-23-2017, 05:55 PM
Agreed. You could do it, but you would have to splice into the connection from the column, and run the wire through the knee bolster over to like the foglight buttons, or install one in the ESP spot (blank button) if you do not have ESP.
You'd still have two switches. Unless you cut the wire and left the stalk end of the headlight wiring lying in there, but for all of that trouble, why would you bother? Just to be different? Is there a problem with the stalk?

b5v6
01-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Yes, like the B6 and B7 A4s.

I'd do it to have the fog lights and the headlights on a single switch.

TheRedGlacier
01-23-2017, 08:10 PM
I dunno. If you feel like you really want to do it, it should be simple enough if you can solder/use crimps. I personally wouldn't wire it to the fog switch. I mean its your car, if you want "One touch lights" (if you will..), go for it.. but I hate when people always run their fog lights at night. Its sort of a d*** move, especially if you have HIDs. The two sets of lights are enough to blind a man! Or a few!

b5v6
01-23-2017, 08:31 PM
Thanks, I'm thinking about it, not sure I'll do it. In the midst of doing the facelift console retrofit and if I'm gonna go through the hassle of installing the fog light control module figured I'd take it one step further and put a switch in the dash.

TheRedGlacier
01-23-2017, 08:46 PM
I gotcha! Hey man, its whatever you decide you want to do. Its your car. Good luck if you go through with this!

walky_talky20
01-23-2017, 09:26 PM
Just note that the B6/7 switch is entirely different from the B5 switch. In a B5, the full electrical current of all 4 headlamp bulbs (low beam and high beam) and the full current of all the parking light bulbs goes through the headlamp switch. The B6/7 switch is just a low-power trigger input to the central electronic module. You cannot run actual parking lamp or headlamp current through it. It will burn up in a second. You will have to build your own bank of relays to make it work. Not less than 3 relays I would think.

b5v6
01-23-2017, 09:54 PM
Ok, I saw your write up for the euro fog control module with the relay bank. Not sure how deep I want to go with this. I wonder if the B5 Passat switch is designed for lamp current to flow through it

crazyquik22023
01-24-2017, 02:57 AM
Ok, I saw your write up for the euro fog control module with the relay bank. Not sure how deep I want to go with this. I wonder if the B5 Passat switch is designed for lamp current to flow through it

No B5 passat's have a CCM as well that controls the current of the headlamps etc.

b5v6
01-24-2017, 06:16 AM
No B5 passat's have a CCM as well that controls the current of the headlamps etc.

Does that include the '98 B5?

crazyquik22023
01-24-2017, 04:37 PM
Does that include the '98 B5?

I'm not sure on that one. Its possible it is different

TheRedGlacier
01-25-2017, 06:47 PM
I would assume so as well. I'm personally not too familiar with the round switches, but I you would probably not be able to toggle city lights/headlights if you hooked the wiring for the switch into the foglights, it'd just be headlights all the time.

garytightpants
01-25-2017, 09:24 PM
Just note that the B6/7 switch is entirely different from the B5 switch. In a B5, the full electrical current of all 4 headlamp bulbs (low beam and high beam) and the full current of all the parking light bulbs goes through the headlamp switch. The B6/7 switch is just a low-power trigger input to the central electronic module. You cannot run actual parking lamp or headlamp current through it. It will burn up in a second. You will have to build your own bank of relays to make it work. Not less than 3 relays I would think.

what this guy said^^^
in one of my previous b5's, i had the stalk stop working for the headlights, so i ran it to a toggle switch on the dash temporarily.
It was burning through the most heavy duty toggles i could find, one every week. the amount of current would heat up the switch on long drives and it would warp and break the contacts. then i had to try and pull over with no lights and swap the switch for a fresh one. got old real quick.

walky_talky20
01-26-2017, 08:45 PM
Indeed. There is a lot of current going through the headlamp switch. I believe it's an unnecessary and, frankly, irresponsible amount of current. In own my opinion, the decision of Audi's electrical engineers to ship the B5 without relay-driven headlamps was foolish and potentially unsafe. Not to mention the level of circuit protection in general leaves much to be desired (ie: completely un-fused battery power all the way to the ignition switch, headlamp switch, and many relays).

BaseDrifter did a nice write-up on adding relay-driven headlamps to the B5:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/553972-A4-B5-DIY-Install-headlight-relays