PDA

View Full Version : B5 A4 Appreciation

TheRedGlacier
01-19-2017, 05:55 PM
Hey guys, just thinking a little bit, and I wanted to ask, for those of you who have modified A4s, from coilovers and a short shifter, to big turbo setups, why did you decide to put the money into the A4? Originally, I bought my car as a winter beater, but I grew to want more from my car, but by the time I learned about the S4, I was too broke to afford one. I'm trying to find reasons for me to eventually slap on like some coilovers, or to like throw a bigger turbo under the hood when mine goes.
Right now, I've got little car funds, and enough parts to install for awhile. My car has 206,8xx miles on her, and I bought her for $1500. I know its my money, but my parents always tell me that its just that: a $1500 car, and that I shouldn't bother buying performance/aftermarket parts.

For those of you who own S4s as well

Turbo_B5
01-19-2017, 06:01 PM
Cause b5 is life. The design is timeless. Looks better then most of today's modern cars. The analog feel of the hydroponic steering and mechanical Quattro I love. I could of had a fancy brand new Mazda 3 but it drove like shit, decided to keep my rusted out 97 a4 modding it until it's death. Then I bought another two...

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 6s iOS9.3.3 using Tapashit

b6Hate4
01-19-2017, 06:20 PM
I'll second that.

I've done enough work to all my A4s that I hear the same damn response every time..."You should have bought an S4"

Well, hindsight is always 20/20. Lol.

For me, my B5 is more raw, and more connected to the road vs. my cushy B8. It's a more intimate feel, along with the fact that the looks are totally timeless.

ActiveMonkey
01-19-2017, 06:25 PM
Cause b5 is life.

Perfectly said. I am on my second B5 and I will always own one. I sold my first back in 2008 and regretted it for 8 years. My main reason for staying B5 is that there is literally nothing I cannot fix on it now. Between the two cars I have replaced virtually every vital system at least once over. A few months ago my T-Belt stripped, but 30 hours, 1 doner engine, and many hot wings later the car runs better than ever. I would buy an S3 in a heartbeat but no third pedal, no purchase. I love the agility of the B5 A4 vs the newer HEAVY models.

I agree that the look of the car is classic and I love it. I modified the car because I wanted more fun. Coil overs to have fun in the twisties, exhaust to hear the engine, track density mounts to feel the car, chip to get a little more zoom. I purchased my B5 A4 and modify it so I can have a fun daily driver that I enjoy driving.

If I get a good deal on a B5 S4 I may pull the trigger and simply park it in the garage. I'd probably build it into a stage 3 garage queen and use it only a few times a year on special occasions. My daily and main go to will always be my B5 A4.

My baby with her winter shoes.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_4593.JPG

Davdraco1
01-19-2017, 06:26 PM
I was 19, wanted a stick, wanted AWD, wanted a turbo. The aftermarket is second behind the LS/SBC motors. Looks great for being almost 20 years old. Not an inch of rust on it. Even after I blew the motor and trans I still fixed it. It made more sense to spend a couple grand fixing it then buying another POS that I probably wouldn't enjoy and would have the same if not worse issues.

b6Hate4
01-19-2017, 06:34 PM
Plus we here in the B5 section do some cool things with these cars...always something exciting to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockbeau25
01-19-2017, 07:23 PM
Can't explain it, mod bug bites and it bites hard

OverSpun
01-19-2017, 07:28 PM
Cause b5 is life.

I'll second that.

I've done enough work to all my A4s that I hear the same damn response every time..."You should have bought an S4"

Well, hindsight is always 20/20. Lol.

For me, my B5 is more raw, and more connected to the road vs. my cushy B8. It's a more intimate feel, along with the fact that the looks are totally timeless.
Third that.

It is difficult to find a clean unmodded low mileage S4 these days. I'll buy a 6mt S4 Avant when I see one but I got lucky to find my current Avant w/ 85k on it and not much wrong with it.

I bought my first B5 when I was 18... The B5 is a classic. I wanted another one for a long time, especially an Avant. It's working so far. People still think my car is an '09 (If they don't know much about Audis) [:p].

After a lot mods (turbo, fmic, coilovers, everything) and here we go:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/OverSpun/B5%20transport/Nick%20B5%20Avant_zpsdoqchn2n.jpg

I'm not done! It's a bad habit. [facepalm]

At least this car is a lot less expensive to mod compared with my last cars. [:)]

rockbeau25
01-19-2017, 07:43 PM
Third that.

It is difficult to find a clean unmodded low mileage S4 these days. I'll buy a 6mt S4 Avant when I see one but I got lucky to find my current Avant w/ 85k on it and not much wrong with it.

I bought my first B5 when I was 18... The B5 is a classic. I wanted another one for a long time, especially an Avant. It's working so far. People still think my car is an '09 (If they don't know much about Audis) [:p].

After a lot mods (turbo, fmic, coilovers, everything) and here we go:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/OverSpun/B5%20transport/Nick%20B5%20Avant_zpsdoqchn2n.jpg

I'm not done! It's a bad habit. [facepalm]

At least this car is a lot less expensive to mod compared with my last cars. [:)]

Nice car! Yours looks to be about where I want mine to be

A1 A2 German
01-19-2017, 09:33 PM
It's timeless.

It's kinda nostalgic (kinda like a Mk1 Rabbit).

In modded form (with out even being radically built) there's videos all day of 100% street legal, non-gutted A4 B5s taking down 911 GT3's, Viper ACR's, Porches and of the sort. On a GT2871R Elim, C63 and Camro SS's are victims, all on stock motor. You have to understand the B5 was so fast in it's day when raced, it was banned. It is thee best handling car I've ever owned, and ever been in. Now however heavily modified and a legit track car (but not stupid over the top crazy, still rocking the 4 banger, and oem-ish) is the 034 Motorsport B5....faster then every production car ever built..included every exotic (Zonda, etc)...kinda crazy considering I believe they were only ~450 hp.

You're talking about 4 door family sedan.

I also love it's size, I don't believe people realize how small of a car it is, our Camry dwarfs it

I also call it the "Goldy Locks Car." It's the perfect blend of analog meets the modern world. I have a cable to my tb, to my ebrakes, a real manual transmission, real hydraulic steering smooth as butter, yet full VAGCOM and tunning suites.

OverSpun
01-19-2017, 10:15 PM
^... haha. That is my goal with my avant when I pick up a new DD. It is too slow for me with a F21 turbo. At least its better than the K03. The stock avant handles and drives unbelievably better than the sedan after owning both. :)

I'm hooked on Avants after this one.

Nice car! Yours looks to be about where I want mine to be

Thanks!

TheRedGlacier
01-20-2017, 06:28 AM
Wow guys, I'm absolutely loving the responses! As I said, I bought mine as a beater, but I grew to love the design. Sadly, I'll admit I had a phase where I really wanted a B6, and keep it stock.. but I quickly realized the B5 was perfect for me. If I could just shut the wheel bearing up, I'll be so much happier. Haha soon. I gotta say, going off of the statement of it being a timeless design, I HAVE had people look at me like I'm crazy when I say she has 206k and is 16 years old. Personally, I think the interior is nicer than like new BMWs. I mean, Audi is all about interiors.. but that is still saying something.

I also am contemplating painting my lowers. Thoughts? If I do, I'd try to paint the rear valance to clone a Euro s4's. Just fill in the plastic and sand it where the silver would be.

nynoah
01-20-2017, 06:55 AM
I love my B5 A4. I have owned it since 2002. Sadly Audi does not make a car that makes me want to buy a new one. I want an AWD Manual Avant.... why do they not do those anymore?

I do admit sometimes dream of getting an S4 but then think about trying to work on 2.7tt engine. Its a nightmare where you have to pull the engine regularly to do any work on them There is just no room in there. Right now my car is pretty much an S4 with a 2.0t engine.

TheRedGlacier
01-20-2017, 07:01 AM
I wouldn't mind a B8 A4, but I have no doubt in my mind that these cars are more "involving", if you will. I also don't have the money lying around to buy one, even though they can be relatively cheap.

I also just have a hard time justifying modifying my own A4, with all of the miles she has, and the lack of knowledge I have about her.

Believe me, I'd love to install a new turbo, coilovers, true catback, wheels, ect.. but alas, I don't really make the kind of money that I can afford that quite yet. If I have my B5 when I do, I probably will.

chris164935
01-20-2017, 09:49 AM
I built mine for speed. But, it has been bittersweet because I've been building her for close to a decade. Lol. Luckily, I have a 2016 A3 as my daily driver. Even though the car isn't a manual, it's still really fun to drive. The 2.0T definitely moves, and even though it's not true quattro, it will still put you back in the seat, especially when using launch control on the Stronic. But, my long term goal is to eventually get rid of the B5 and maybe the A3 and pick up a used R8. The 2008-2010 models are almost in my (read, my wife's) price range. [:D]

PringlesInVic
01-20-2017, 09:49 AM
My answers is

D: All of the Above

I fell in love with the car before I owned one. It's looks are what drew me in, then driving it sealed the deal. Now, after modding it I love it so much more. The exhaust note is just right. The coilovers make it stick and beg you to push it around corners. I just recently took a lot of slop out the driver front corner with a new wheel bearing and S4 tie rod end, and now I can't stop thinking about driving it. It was great before, now it's like a whole new car.

The aftermarket is second behind the LS/SBC motors.

This says so much about the platform. There is a staggering amount of support for a car that hasn't seen production in 16-17 years.

Cactus Avant
01-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Pretty much everything above it true. The design is timeless, the platform of AWD, turbo, manual, and wagon is what sold it for me. Also the rust protection on these things is incredible compared to so many other cars. Mines been in New York winters since 1998 and its held up really well all things considering. Speaking of which, I have never ever seen rust on a B5 quarter panel (unless of course it was damaged. The quality of B5's is amazing too. Look at the interiors of essentially any audi after the B5 era and you'll probably see a lot of scratched off buttons (@B7 and b6), broken armrests, glove boxes, etc. Im not saying the newer Audis are bad, but the B5 interior (other than the drivers seat of every 1.8t lol) has held up very well for the most part.

Also, as much as we complain sometimes, the B5 A4 is not terrible difficult to work on. B5s have a huge potential, they are quality cars, and have a very good feel to them.

Avant Nate
01-20-2017, 10:45 AM
You start modding because stock is boring. Outside of normal maintenance, for a few grand, you can have a car that outperforms some newer sports cars. Especially if you buy used and do your own work.
I do have a hard time justifying spending more on coil overs than the car is worth. But that's why I have H&R sport springs.

19birel
01-20-2017, 11:06 AM
+1 to everything else said

I bought my car for $900 to use as a beater with the intent to just get it running and drive it till it dies, it's not perfect, but it was a clean enough base that I felt comfortable making it into something I can be proud of rather than the "would be great for parts" car described by the guy who sold me it. The way I look at it, 18 years ago my car stickered for the equivalent of over $40k in todays money. Yes I bought it for $900 not running, and looking like a turd, but it still had the potential of a $40k car, the potential to be nearly just as refined as a new one. My car has a couple mods (wheels, 2.8transmission swap, and sway bar endlinks that still need to be installed) but I admit most of what I've done is maintenance. As a result, I constantly get compliments from random people and surprised friends that can't believe the car is as nice as it is and I can get into my car after driving a new Audi and not think it's a total pile.

My point is, yes you bought your car for $1500, and if you treat it like a $1500 car, that's all it will ever be. However, if you treat it like the completely depreciated $40k luxury sports sedan that it is and give it the maintenance it needs before going crazy with mods, you'll find that you have a pretty nice car. Just make sure that if you're going to spend money on it, that it's a clean car to start with (doesn't burn tons of oil, not covered in rust etc.) and don't forget maintenance first and mods later.

As far as the S4 argument goes, those are great too, but I honestly prefer my 1.8T because it has less weight over the nose for better balance, it's easier to work on, and gets better fuel economy. There are reasons to prefer either one over the other, it's all preference really.

MarcRogers
01-20-2017, 11:58 AM
Cause b5 is life. The design is timeless. Looks better then most of today's modern cars. The analog feel of the hydroponic steering and mechanical Quattro I love. I could of had a fancy brand new Mazda 3 but it drove like shit, decided to keep my rusted out 97 a4 modding it until it's death. Then I bought another two...

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 6s iOS9.3.3 using Tapashit

This. Sums it up.

MarcRogers
01-20-2017, 12:02 PM
I'm more of a recent person when it comes to b5s Ive had 2 but only in the last two years. What it really comes down to is what you like. To answer your question I think people honestly chose A4s because it wasn't a joke piece of shit like a Honda or something but it wasn't so expensive. It's a turbos sedan. Pretty modern for the time period. And there is a bunch of options for the car from simple wheels and coils, to full stoker kits if you really want to do it up.

MarcRogers
01-20-2017, 12:05 PM
It's fun to drive fast car. But when you build a slow car and drive slow car fast there's nothing better than that

nynoah
01-20-2017, 12:17 PM
The B5 A4 is a modern classic. Sure you can get them cheap, I am thankful for that, because I value my car far more and the used parts are cheap now. I honestly picture owning this car for another 20 more years.

clean_b5
01-20-2017, 12:32 PM
I am actually pretty new to posting on THIS forum. With that being said...

I personally fell in love with the B5 back in 2008 after a friend who was apart of a few mk4 jetta forums showed me a few S4s on vwvortex and fell in love immediately. From the design, to the interior, to the twin turbos and of course awd.

I am a Ford guy. Owned 2 svt foci, a long traveled f150, a bone stock f150. I grew up Ford.

It wasnt till 2015 that i decided to purchase an A4. It had to be a B5. Picked one up in Calabasas for $3k, had 170k on it but literally was flawless. 100% stock and a heafty folder of all the maintenence done.

As of now, the car sits at 196k. Original head, bottom end and turbo. She has been maintenence happy the past few months but i love this car. I do wish i would have purchased it in Quattro but its ok. I commute 110 miles a day. I chose the b5 honestly because it was an Audi and had a turbo. That is 100% the truth. I had no intentions of modding it. Almost 2 years later and a k04 on the way. I think it is safe to say i made the right choice.

With that being said. It is nice to see this community still alive and well. Here are a few pics. Thanks guys...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/aaf409aa561dbf2f483860dc97b75ee2.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/f624eebbd4bcabdefe46aab670648eb7.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/f3735b6e7669bb755fe64d7a9f8da7b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Audizine mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

Fink_tha_Audi
01-20-2017, 12:42 PM
In my opinion its really up to you, we all here love these all cars and support each others' tastes and choices. The way I see it , at least for me I've always been a tinkerer someone who is always going to find a way to fix, repair, change something. B5 was my first purchase as an teen that I can call my own. Even if I got a newer car I would eventually throw money at it. Its an endless cycle.

So some words of wisdom, if you are hesitant to mod, then repair. Make it as reliable as you can. Eventually you'll be able to get some big ticket items. Its a possibility that your parents are probably right because they have been through it too, they have the experience.

b6Hate4
01-20-2017, 05:51 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170121/177293c4ff1b9fd4be7a887c2a027f94.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170121/995c790b639dcb0e6b2491f38865168d.jpg

There are too many mods for these cars to ever get bored, and as previously stated they can be as fast as a land missle! My car is really barely recognizable as the A4 it once was... But Ayrton (19briel) hit the nail RIGHT on the head, treat it like a well aged 40k car, and you'll have a very nice car. You get out what you put in. Currently this slut needs...

-Brakes
-Control arms
-Suspension
-Paint
-Interior to be finished
-Probably more that I'll come across. Would I trade it straight up for a newer a4? Not a chance, because I have had almost every A4 chassis and I can tell you the B5 is very special.

tar
01-20-2017, 06:12 PM
I put money into my b5 because why not. Its a timeless car and a b5 was my first car. my color is rare as possible plus it's a 01 avant 1.8t 5speed quattro

Currently I've done brakes, interior, wheels, coils, trans, bunch of motor stuff including bt ect bunch of body stuff were already done when I got the car, rs4 front, euro rear, s4 sides ect.
I tend to just buy stuff without thinking and never have any regrets, just keep it tasteful and use reputable products and it will stay awesome.

I'm buying a b8 s4 tomorrow that I won't mod much just so I can keep dumping into the b5.
Next up is recaros, efr setup, new wheels, I don't plan to ever stop modding the b5 as its the last of its kind.

Dan[FN]6262
01-20-2017, 06:54 PM
To be able to post sweet pics on the internet, bruh

http://i.imgur.com/9xes0K7.jpg

redline380
01-20-2017, 07:20 PM
Fuckin Dan just postin pics of EFR bidness....

I have a stock A4 avant, big turb'd sedan, and a stock b5 s4 sedan. Been B5'n for over 8 years now and not looking back. Bought it originally because I wanted something less common, and these came with a turbo, AWD, and a stick.

Fast forward 5 years from that and I decided to build an engine, mostly to keep up with the crowd. And totally glad I did it. I regret nothing, not a penny spent. I learned a ton about these cars and made mine fast enough to make it fun.

It is true what most people say, though. S4s are better than stock A4s, by a wide margin too. Sons a bitches are quick! Picked mine up last summer for $2650, but fixing it up. Will eventually spend way more on it than a good S4, but I need something to do.

I would definitely advise an S4. They are pretty quick. But with that said, not a chance in hell I am going to sell either of my A4s. And the one is a good bit quicker than a stock S4 at that ;)

Dan[FN]6262
01-20-2017, 07:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/IT38HLp.jpg

Pretty much what everyone else has been saying. It has a great feel, much sportier feeling than my B6 was.

The body lines are classic.

My B5 is my most favorite car I've ever owned so far. The B6 was stupid fast, but the B5 is so much more everywhere else.

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind, the E30 is definitely more fun. But I do love the B5

FU5E
01-20-2017, 08:08 PM
Sometimes I wonder why I don't own a C5 corvette, but I like to be different and everyone has a mustang, Camaro or a Vette, I love these cars not totally sure why. I own a 2005 B6 Stage 2 as well, that is a decent daily but the B5 just has its own feel and driving dynamics. I live in Michigan so the fact that they don't rust out like everything else is a huge bonus too.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/399/32311399941_089cef6285.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Refnur)milan dragway retouch 1 (https://flic.kr/p/Refnur) by Paul Fuller (https://www.flickr.com/photos/147797875@N08/), on Flickr

wallcouldtalk
01-20-2017, 09:19 PM
I only have an APR tune on my A4, but I honestly enjoy driving it FAR more than I enjoy my S4. I can't wait to get rid of it.

OverSpun
01-20-2017, 09:31 PM
Sometimes I wonder why I don't own a C5 corvette, but I like to be different and everyone has a mustang, Camaro or a Vette, I love these cars not totally sure why. I own a 2005 B6 Stage 2 as well, that is a decent daily but the B5 just has its own feel and driving dynamics. I live in Michigan so the fact that they don't rust out like everything else is a huge bonus too.

I'd take a C5 Z06 over any mustang or camaro. Theyre pretty inexpensive these days.

TheRedGlacier
01-21-2017, 02:58 AM
In regards to the car not really being common, that's something I love about both of my cars. When I pass another B5, they usually'll wave at me. I've had them park next to me a lot too. The one thing I wish, is that I had a more unique color. There's a pelican blue one for sale on Craigslist for $3k.. lol. But I think I'll stay silver..

19birel
01-21-2017, 03:26 PM
I wished my car was a more unique color for a while, especially because I already have a silver car, but I've grown to appreciate the cleanliness of my car's Light Silver Metallic paint, it may be boring silver, but I think it still looks pretty good.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1583/26155894614_6764421a3c_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FRiNdf)a4 (1 of 1)-18 (https://flic.kr/p/FRiNdf) by Ayrton @ Drive19 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/82943374@N03/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/708/31085141724_2a49ace2e0_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/PmTtDo)Audi Sewickley (1 of 1)-4 (https://flic.kr/p/PmTtDo) by Ayrton @ Drive19 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/82943374@N03/), on Flickr

Turbo_B5
01-21-2017, 03:34 PM
I would take a silver car over black any day. I miss my silver 97 a lot, but when brilliant black is clean and all polished up its pretty classy.

Also I didn't want a car that everyone has and wanted something you don't see every day.

OverSpun
01-21-2017, 03:45 PM
In regards to the car not really being common, that's something I love about both of my cars. When I pass another B5, they usually'll wave at me. I've had them park next to me a lot too. The one thing I wish, is that I had a more unique color. There's a pelican blue one for sale on Craigslist for $3k.. lol. But I think I'll stay silver..

Pelican, Casablanca White, Volcano Grey, and India Red are cool but pretty rare considering that Audi makes too many silver cars. I'm sick of silver. All 3 of my Audis have been silver because it was too difficult to find a different color with the options that I wanted.

I would have taken any of those colors over my silver avant. Prefer Volcano or Casa.

TheRedGlacier
01-21-2017, 04:05 PM
Honestly, I would love to own a Pelican A4 or Volcano Grey.
I mean, technically I could afford to pick it up, but I don't really think I'd want to do that to my A4.

Seerlah
01-21-2017, 04:07 PM
6262;12150140']To be able to post sweet pics on the internet, bruh

http://i.imgur.com/9xes0K7.jpg

Is that the new twin inline-4 twin EFR I've heard about? Purty!

Dan[FN]6262
01-21-2017, 04:23 PM
Very top secret, I shouldn't have posted that development picture.

tar
01-21-2017, 04:55 PM
Pelican, Casablanca White, Volcano Grey, and India Red are cool but pretty rare considering that Audi makes too many silver cars. I'm sick of silver. All 3 of my Audis have been silver because it was too difficult to find a different color with the options that I wanted.

I would have taken any of those colors over my silver avant. Prefer Volcano or Casa.

I love my India. Would love to paint a b8 or new car that color for daily. I work with oranges so it makes sense for me.

OverSpun
01-21-2017, 05:56 PM
I love my India. Would love to paint a b8 or new car that color for daily. I work with oranges so it makes sense for me.

I have only seen one in person and it was probably yours. I sold my carpet mats to the previous owner if its the same car. Had an RS4 bumper and S4 euro rear bumper if I am correct. Pics?

tar
01-21-2017, 06:02 PM
That's mine

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

TheRedGlacier
01-21-2017, 06:10 PM
Got any pictures of the car Tar? Would love to see her. I want to change my bumper to look like a euro s4.

OverSpun
01-21-2017, 06:14 PM
That's mine

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Looks good on your profile. I only saw it at night. David was driving it, previous owner?

Got any pictures of the car Tar? Would love to see her. I want to change my bumper to look like a euro s4.

He has a legit one but mine has a molded valence that looks like a euro S4 bumper. Good enough, I got it used.

http://cl.ly/image/2p0q3h1J2U3a/IMG_1334.jpg

TheRedGlacier
01-22-2017, 02:35 AM
Oh I understood that definitely. I'm aware the euro S4 bumpers are one piece, but I'm a little handy in the art of body work ;) we'll see though. I'm just too cheap to buy a genuine one, but I love the look. All depends if I paint my lowers. I just don't want to come across as an S4 poser/wannabe.

Edit: Just saw a Volcano grey B5 for sale on Craigslist, 20 minutes away. What are the odds? Haha

sean1.8t
01-22-2017, 03:03 AM
Bought my first A4 when I was 18. I was originally looking to buy a WRX (because racecar!); REALLY wanted an Evo8 but couldn't afford one. Test drove a few bugeye rexs but they just didn't feel right to me; I didn't like the reality of how they felt on the inside and how they drove compared to the fantasy I had created by dreaming of owning one since I was 14-ish years old. Then, I think it was my dad, who told me about another AWD turbo 4 cylinder sedan that was in my price range. Enter the B5. I drove one and instantly fell in love. So much better of a car inside and out for the exact same price. Not NEARLY as easy and cheap to mod as the 2.0l flat 4, but I didn't know that at the time and it didn't matter anyways. Coming from my first car which was a 1997 Plymouth Neon auto (auto transmission, NOTHING else on that car was auto haha), the A4 felt like I was driving a Bentley. I bought the first one I test drove and never looked back.

So crazy what the B5's are worth now days. I bought my B5 in 2005 for $17k [eek]

Rodgman15
01-22-2017, 06:38 AM
Because they told me it wouldn't hold together at 40psi.

They were wrong.

rockbeau25
01-22-2017, 07:21 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170122/fbfb54cfb6080d1568c77b7f08fc4384.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170122/cc33a13ed8082433e465b36abd100605.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170122/8fb5a5595e24fb5d0706618a1d42b071.jpg

Did someone say Volcano?!

Turbo_B5
01-22-2017, 10:05 AM
Did someone say Volcano?!

whore.

rockbeau25
01-22-2017, 10:09 AM
whore.

https://youtu.be/RC7hZY3sVxE

Hoor*

b6Hate4
01-22-2017, 10:13 AM
I'm bummed that my Volcano is in such shit shape requiring a respray, previous owner treated the car like dogshit

redline380
01-22-2017, 10:19 AM
all this talk of volcano and no mention of ebony pearl effect? For shame. And I own two! If I find another cheap one for sale, I might get it for shits and gigs

Turbo_B5
01-22-2017, 10:24 AM
my beater is ebony no sunroof. [cool]

b6Hate4
01-22-2017, 10:26 AM
all this talk of volcano and no mention of ebony pearl effect? For shame. And I own two! If I find another cheap one for sale, I might get it for shits and gigs

Whoops mine is actually ebony pearl effect.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170122/2ada7e87b79d123cdd8ef12a639498e3.jpg

Along with some other colors. Lol. Paint supplies have been bought :)

OverSpun
01-22-2017, 12:32 PM
Oh I understood that definitely. I'm aware the euro S4 bumpers are one piece, but I'm a little handy in the art of body work ;) we'll see though. I'm just too cheap to buy a genuine one, but I love the look. All depends if I paint my lowers. I just don't want to come across as an S4 poser/wannabe.

Edit: Just saw a Volcano grey B5 for sale on Craigslist, 20 minutes away. What are the odds? Haha

Yea, the S4 Euro bumper is 1 piece. Haha... you're only a poser/wannabe if you put S4 or RS4 badges on your car. We've been putting S4 bumpers and side skirts on A4s forever to get rid of the black lowers. Looks a lot better than painting the factory lowers.

rockbeau25
01-22-2017, 06:39 PM

Aren't they essentially the same?

TheRedGlacier
01-23-2017, 07:53 PM
Ebony pearl looks like black with a purple pearlescent, from the pictures I've seen, where as Volcano grey has a lighter pearlescent to it, its more of a slate color than a black. Hence, grey. :)

$teady$upreme
01-24-2017, 01:31 AM
Back when i was in gr. 11, i was fortunate that my dad had given his 1999 acura 3.2TL to me. After 2 years of driving it, i decided to get something i like. During that period, i was pretty set on DC2 integra, BB6 prelude or the GC8 impreza. Until i started browsing for some used B5. With better interior, Quattro, turbo, i am hooked on the B5. More importantly, one of my soccer friends who had a B5 was moving back to Hong Kong, and he offered a price cheaper than the market price at that time.

I still remember that i didn't know how to drive manual and asked my dad to go test drive for me. Everything went well, i sold my 3.2TL and be able to save up some cash and finally bought my friend's B5. And that's what i still have at the moment. Later i found out that, it is the "best of both world", 99.5 non-dbw model and it has the Volcano Black paint and only 7500km.

Through out the years, I also had a 98 Pearl White with GT28 elim kit and a 01 Stage 3 S4, but both of them been sold now. However, the Volcano Black is still going strong here and i will be keeping it forever.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/541776b2ca40270d83ec10990aa22f6b.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/a50ea13db382021051a55151cf6e6b54.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/918e8d57747e15eb0ac767199398e229.jpeg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/4174cc70bba65b0fe57fd2a8a4096fb0.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/9bb9748be4d01e4a6ca39698a635a4d5.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/9bb9748be4d01e4a6ca39698a635a4d5.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/421816b10dacaa11f69747b85bd1b635.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/98ccc31609a0a517406b40016e57c98e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

Quattro420
01-24-2017, 03:59 AM

I love my India red a4 as well I wanna paint everything that colour

sean1.8t
01-24-2017, 06:55 PM
Back when i was in gr. 11, i was fortunate that my dad had given his 1999 acura 3.2TL to me. After 2 years of driving it, i decided to get something i like. During that period, i was pretty set on DC2 integra, BB6 prelude or the GC8 impreza. Until i started browsing for some used B5. With better interior, Quattro, turbo, i am hooked on the B5. More importantly, one of my soccer friends who had a B5 was moving back to Hong Kong, and he offered a price cheaper than the market price at that time.

I still remember that i didn't know how to drive manual and asked my dad to go test drive for me. Everything went well, i sold my 3.2TL and be able to save up some cash and finally bought my friend's B5. And that's what i still have at the moment. Later i found out that, it is the "best of both world", 99.5 non-dbw model and it has the Volcano Black paint and only 7500km.

Through out the years, I also had a 98 Pearl White with GT28 elim kit and a 01 Stage 3 S4, but both of them been sold now. However, the Volcano Black is still going strong here and i will be keeping it forever.

That's a cool story, man. Good to know at least 1 B5 will be properly looked after for life [up]

bikerbob951
01-25-2017, 06:01 AM
Just to echo what everyone else is saying, these are fantastic cars if treated correctly. Mechanical AWD, turbo, and absolutely killer silhouette are among it's strongest qualities in my opinion.

My personal story, in brief: bought my 99' 1.8TQ in 2007, fell in love instantly. I knew I wanted something I could autocross, but hadn't been looking for B5's, it found me. Didn't realize at the time that the jaspis green pearl metallic color was extremely rare (my car is 1 of 46), and had many great years of racing and such. Sold the car in January 2013 to fund an engagement ring, and while the ring was very much worth it, I missed the car every day. Summer of 2015, my car popped back up on CL, and I wound up buying it back from the guy I sold it to. While he had it, he treated it with respect as well, and did some mods I had intended to do (partially gutted interior, racing seats, harnesses, sways f&r...). Now the car sits happily in the garage and is my sultry little track slut. Next is coilovers and front splitter for track use.

http://i.imgur.com/VxqF6Fbh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HGKkj7mh.jpg

Also, David I have just got to point out that your car is one of my main inspirations, particularly this picture. Absolutely perfect.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/541776b2ca40270d83ec10990aa22f6b.jpg

TheRedGlacier
01-25-2017, 06:53 AM
There is a Japis Green Pearl with a GT28RS Eliminator for sale on Craigslist for $2500 right by me, has sport cloth. Body is fairly rough. A little rust, drift stitches on the bumper.. I knew the color was unique, but I didn't know it was that rare! Beautiful car!

bikerbob951
01-25-2017, 07:02 AM
There is a Japis Green Pearl with a GT28RS Eliminator for sale on Craigslist for $2500 right by me, has sport cloth. Body is fairly rough. A little rust, drift stitches on the bumper.. I knew the color was unique, but I didn't know it was that rare! Beautiful car!

Thank you! It's pretty rare, and it's stunning in person. 10 years with this car and I'm still not tired of the color!

TheRedGlacier
01-25-2017, 08:18 AM
I can definitely believe it! Audi knows what to do. We might as well change the title of this thread to "B5 A4 Appreciatiation"

To David, you're car looks wonderful as well! Love the spacers! I would love to throw maybe 10mms on front and rear.. but money.

OverSpun
01-26-2017, 03:28 PM
I can definitely believe it! Audi knows what to do. We might as well change the title of this thread to "B5 A4 Appreciatiation"

To David, you're car looks wonderful as well! Love the spacers! I would love to throw maybe 10mms on front and rear.. but money.

Haha, I can change the title if you want it done.

nunya
01-26-2017, 03:45 PM
I have been modifying mine since i got it 13 years ago and was the first car i ever bought myself. It's on its 4th motor, countless turbo's, driven from coast to coast, and i still have fun with it. I dont drive it as much as i should since i got the B8 S4, but i still love the car.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/piuP4gY3LxuZWHBrZZAGq_dpOcJtMbF6qDxj133ItcGTyUg9hw DKXIrJG9e8wKkX8fOQSCSUaYmZtZ5mL6Rl9T3EVa5PwQ910yfA GneNiwIdy8TuMx16Szu783-5dz2KqdMpq3KS7xNKcgUdN0jyB68_9d4FP65JVlQPgdFOX8F7Q 5snJNjDxPdkfsWYZXc50J-ZSS9dWrVa36AzhhcJOR9_p0IIyN9fHIH55OZlWXEuVy8EUKQWM jzh1svC189Y9UeFUwp8lcgCOwdBhdquOboXqREt19oGKqWE1TD zt94RRTpRSIJ-PD9WsZMHwWmDkzXSsb9UjZLnns21DuAntU6veVG4s3beT1_j3M EEHFqDZs8_ST73K4UOeRrdkEsW5xHo97cl5al-PU-wGAB1UhCh7K-M34_AfYyuOY0A2R-Ww2aLX5InrixSEp89nYPBqMXMFoIaZJhPrOYut4UwHM5kUo8py fXBVos6f_Eeb86Pt5ZkobSqbkcMLPBgP5X2xuTbvN6XFXj9rgY lXOX-Hmt-ff5EbptQ730t6t4XQDeXnjm6Vdg0AbxMtuxU3eS1l-dGMNhIfXJPNPnWdBBf1qCiplPpfPsVpj9Vlzhkxq0NEi1281Is WJBQ_6mICmWJnhInneYnQxSzzFJWcEeWAtpMbb67yaaK_K-B-_z40LA=w800-h600-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/kPjrZVna4WCsPePGgs7mA6JXbu3_IkqCwVUaDRrff5LKx5s9M5 RY7KReDxxkrMVNQdluGXifsnky5cQELvUr1bGn5QLE85AoMSbS QByNo4f2BEl7GMdNRZPhmFquCRm6szi9WPle1mUm0ST6RAdfTe 6O8t6bdzG2q59i43E0fu1AJmc0iWRRp8mh9-tevpjqSUaiBxuvy607RYq7HWgsa8cHxNMsqQEEAMVGNvgcC5yx tZGgl8XeVB8zYSfd5MPtxCv0YLcRP3AaGt_EbrTbh-hAFQClKVlkxSUDa5PZDoyQMQodyBqzD7GreUuPPNNu2Lv8Szcd akUh5Ur0Y8qLnjvuMzdihwhOFqmarZiX9DNOSBN_oMeRXcB1De Q57WQN5bH-l1GBPlb7YLJk3rxjLNb_0cQfpkJ1t-OetLrNY9_bRa3xK-qtLmuyVgRuoAhUSPNrl5m2L1XjNRqQL9VgsL25Jt0oEhnY_ZIa L7XhiDiD4DVl9NuZQ5DSxvSlaWQ_89cUkfHkx43efWLKBYCfBY e9HpJMP4vYioOO8FDbTGrDdnYXBAPud1yxGUGLWykNjSrF7zcF mosKgD46Odk3LD_K2SI8ZSLq_DOKbAUJLDAUFv87A6j36mptOy 9plVle4_TDKitB1EItRinStVw8z0ARDHeLo9S20b3hWBEUkSs= w800-h600-no

b6Hate4
01-26-2017, 03:51 PM
Haha, I can change the title if you want it done.

Title change + Sticky lol

I really, really like to see what people do with these things, from just keeing them in tip top shape, to the people who update the interiors/exteriors to almost look like the car is something that should be 10 years newer (oem RNSE, B8 steering wheels ect)

TheRedGlacier
01-26-2017, 04:26 PM
Nick, if you don't mind, that might be a good idea!
It would be nice to keep the topic around, as we've already seen the amount of people who are posting. Everybody's car I've seen so far looks fantastic, and it is pretty cool to see the "patriotism", if you will, for these cars.

B6Hate4, I definitely agree! There is a B5 S6 engine swap that you've probably seen on here. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/733011-PVW-feature-2000-A4-w-S6-v8-swap

Love the interior in that!

Nunya, what paint code is your car? I don't recall seeing that color before.

b6Hate4
01-26-2017, 04:45 PM
Nick, if you don't mind, that might be a good idea!
It would be nice to keep the topic around, as we've already seen the amount of people who are posting. Everybody's car I've seen so far looks fantastic, and it is pretty cool to see the "patriotism", if you will, for these cars.

B6Hate4, I definitely agree! There is a B5 S6 engine swap that you've probably seen on here. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/733011-PVW-feature-2000-A4-w-S6-v8-swap

Love the interior in that!

Nunya, what paint code is your car? I don't recall seeing that color before.

Oh that car is incredible! I'm smack dab the middle of my engine swap/ saving a B5 from the junkyard and that car had been one of my main inspirations to get into the B5 game!

19birel
01-26-2017, 05:08 PM
Yes! Sticky this please!

This thread is a really good source of inspiration

TheRedGlacier
01-26-2017, 07:03 PM
I love the inginuiety that goes into these things. I wonder if Audi knew this would come from their sheet of paper (puns intended)

I really love the idea of putting the coolant reservoir under the rain tray.

nynoah
01-26-2017, 08:16 PM
I have been modifying mine since i got it 13 years ago and was the first car i ever bought myself. It's on its 4th motor, countless turbo's, driven from coast to coast, and i still have fun with it. I dont drive it as much as i should since i got the B8 S4, but i still love the car.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/piuP4gY3LxuZWHBrZZAGq_dpOcJtMbF6qDxj133ItcGTyUg9hw DKXIrJG9e8wKkX8fOQSCSUaYmZtZ5mL6Rl9T3EVa5PwQ910yfA GneNiwIdy8TuMx16Szu783-5dz2KqdMpq3KS7xNKcgUdN0jyB68_9d4FP65JVlQPgdFOX8F7Q 5snJNjDxPdkfsWYZXc50J-ZSS9dWrVa36AzhhcJOR9_p0IIyN9fHIH55OZlWXEuVy8EUKQWM jzh1svC189Y9UeFUwp8lcgCOwdBhdquOboXqREt19oGKqWE1TD zt94RRTpRSIJ-PD9WsZMHwWmDkzXSsb9UjZLnns21DuAntU6veVG4s3beT1_j3M EEHFqDZs8_ST73K4UOeRrdkEsW5xHo97cl5al-PU-wGAB1UhCh7K-M34_AfYyuOY0A2R-Ww2aLX5InrixSEp89nYPBqMXMFoIaZJhPrOYut4UwHM5kUo8py fXBVos6f_Eeb86Pt5ZkobSqbkcMLPBgP5X2xuTbvN6XFXj9rgY lXOX-Hmt-ff5EbptQ730t6t4XQDeXnjm6Vdg0AbxMtuxU3eS1l-dGMNhIfXJPNPnWdBBf1qCiplPpfPsVpj9Vlzhkxq0NEi1281Is WJBQ_6mICmWJnhInneYnQxSzzFJWcEeWAtpMbb67yaaK_K-B-_z40LA=w800-h600-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/kPjrZVna4WCsPePGgs7mA6JXbu3_IkqCwVUaDRrff5LKx5s9M5 RY7KReDxxkrMVNQdluGXifsnky5cQELvUr1bGn5QLE85AoMSbS QByNo4f2BEl7GMdNRZPhmFquCRm6szi9WPle1mUm0ST6RAdfTe 6O8t6bdzG2q59i43E0fu1AJmc0iWRRp8mh9-tevpjqSUaiBxuvy607RYq7HWgsa8cHxNMsqQEEAMVGNvgcC5yx tZGgl8XeVB8zYSfd5MPtxCv0YLcRP3AaGt_EbrTbh-hAFQClKVlkxSUDa5PZDoyQMQodyBqzD7GreUuPPNNu2Lv8Szcd akUh5Ur0Y8qLnjvuMzdihwhOFqmarZiX9DNOSBN_oMeRXcB1De Q57WQN5bH-l1GBPlb7YLJk3rxjLNb_0cQfpkJ1t-OetLrNY9_bRa3xK-qtLmuyVgRuoAhUSPNrl5m2L1XjNRqQL9VgsL25Jt0oEhnY_ZIa L7XhiDiD4DVl9NuZQ5DSxvSlaWQ_89cUkfHkx43efWLKBYCfBY e9HpJMP4vYioOO8FDbTGrDdnYXBAPud1yxGUGLWykNjSrF7zcF mosKgD46Odk3LD_K2SI8ZSLq_DOKbAUJLDAUFv87A6j36mptOy 9plVle4_TDKitB1EItRinStVw8z0ARDHeLo9S20b3hWBEUkSs= w800-h600-no

Is this the car that 034 did a write up on? Its such a beast.

skene
01-26-2017, 09:21 PM
I forget what it was like to mod an Audi... However I think they were fun to drive and partially the community made it all the more better.

DeathKing
01-26-2017, 11:54 PM

I love to hear that. I just picked up a 2017 GTI but plan on keeping the B5 :)

thedanplasse
01-27-2017, 05:58 AM
Ive owned my mkv gti for around 6 years. built it into a fully blown show car. pulled fenders full respray shaved everything, full leather interior re wrapped, r32 brakes, (bags and rs') lol, shaved bay. don't have much other than the engine to build but its a show car so im not going to make it fast. that being said ive gotten bored of cars lately. picked up a 2000 a4 avant Santorin blue 1.8t 5speed off my girlfriends mom for $200 last year. ive fallen in love with it. doing a full engine build, o1e swap, big brakes, everything. been hoarding all sorts of b5 things. it has restarted my love for cars again. not to mention ive wanted a b5 since I started driving.

bikerbob951
01-27-2017, 08:35 AM
Ive owned my mkv gti for around 6 years. built it into a fully blown show car. pulled fenders full respray shaved everything, full leather interior re wrapped, r32 brakes, (bags and rs') lol, shaved bay. don't have much other than the engine to build but its a show car so im not going to make it fast. that being said ive gotten bored of cars lately. picked up a 2000 a4 avant Santorin blue 1.8t 5speed off my girlfriends mom for $200 last year. ive fallen in love with it. doing a full engine build, o1e swap, big brakes, everything. been hoarding all sorts of b5 things. it has restarted my love for cars again. not to mention ive wanted a b5 since I started driving.

$200? That's a steal, even if it were totally un-drivable. Yeah... we're gonna need to see a build thread.

thedanplasse
01-27-2017, 09:00 AM
$200? That's a steal, even if it were totally un-drivable. Yeah... we're gonna need to see a build thread.

she was going to scrap it because she just bought a new tdi touraeg. planned on using it for a dog hauler until it started misfiring, at that point she decided it wasn't worth fixing anymore since shes been fixing it for like 5 years, and that she was going to scrap it.Has an atw in it with 168k but wasn't getting any power past 4k, decided instead of trying to daily it, that id build it. only reason I don't have a build thread going is that im too lazy to upload all the pictures to url format lol. so I offered her 200, and the rest is history. picked up an aeb and ripped it apart, bought je pistons, scat rods, block just came back from the shop. picked up ferrea exhaust valves, and IE springs and retainers to withstand the cat 3658 cams ill be buying. doing all arp head/main studs with calico rod and crank bearings. holset hx35 with a tims turbo .63 hotside. probably running eurodyne tuning. hoping to put down mid 4's to the wheels. found an o1e full swap (subframe, trans, drive shaft, front axles, rear diff, shift box/linkage for a steal, and he had an s4 front bumper to go along with it. had a local guy parting an s4 so I grabbed the rear valence, and skirts for cheap. keep forgetting I got a 96 hatch for cheap too. grabbed some brides for cheap with sliders and brackets to replace the ripped and stained tan leather seats. the list goes on, and ive been sucked into the b5 project life. I have my work cut out for me that's for sure.
maybe soon ill post a build thread, who knows

TheRedGlacier
01-27-2017, 09:00 AM
Most definitely need to see a build thread pop up! Got any plans for a larger turbo to go with the engine rebuild, and that fancy shmancy 0IE?

thedanplasse
01-27-2017, 09:03 AM
I post a little on my instagram but that's basically it @thedanplasse if you care to look

TheRedGlacier
01-27-2017, 09:11 AM
Yeah, that's sounds good! Sorry, I guess we had posted at the time lol

nunya
01-27-2017, 01:19 PM
Is this the car that 034 did a write up on? Its such a beast.

Yep. They built the majority of it. I have done a few things since the write up.

--dillon

nunya
01-27-2017, 01:23 PM
https://store.034motorsport.com/blog/dillons-big-turbo-b5-audi-a4-1-8t-quattro

OverSpun
01-27-2017, 04:30 PM
https://store.034motorsport.com/blog/dillons-big-turbo-b5-audi-a4-1-8t-quattro

That's a sweet car. [up]

DeathKing
01-27-2017, 05:03 PM
Yep. They built the majority of it. I have done a few things since the write up.

--dillon

I remember reading that write up a while ago. Do you have a thread on here? Amazing ride.

nunya
01-27-2017, 05:31 PM
Na, just did it without posting. It's fun, and scary. I call it lil beast.

DeathKing
01-27-2017, 10:24 PM
Na, just did it without posting. It's fun, and scary. I call it lil beast.

Yeah, I bet! haha

Did you ever end up getting new keys cut? I was thinking about ordering a new key...

TheRedGlacier
01-28-2017, 08:08 AM
I feel like I probably should get another key too. My car only came with one fob