PDA

View Full Version : water in FMIC

NickW3
01-12-2017, 11:41 PM
Hey everyone, i put on a FMIC about 8 months ago and I took off one of the intercooler pipes (the cold side), and saw that there was oil in it. There's always oil in intercoolers and the piping because of blow-by like everyone knows, but it was light brown, like the color it gets when mixed with coolant. I decided to look into the core of the intercooler then, and there was a decent amount of water puddled at the bottom of the core. I took it off and poured it into a drain pan and there was a good couple ounces of water mixed with oil that poured out. I'm assuming this is from coolant leaking in and being vaporized and then condensing in the core over time, but don't know for sure. I thought coolant couldn't get into the turbo itself from the seals being bad, I thought only oil could get in? The part that confuses me is the car doesn't burn much coolant at all, the last time i had to add even a tiny bit was probably about 8 months ago. So i don't know what it could be, but thanks for any replies!

Davdraco1
01-13-2017, 07:59 AM
I guess the moisture in the air could condense in there if you live in a wet environment. Idk though.

NickW3
01-13-2017, 10:02 AM
I guess the moisture in the air could condense in there if you live in a wet environment. Idk though.

This was a significant amount though. And I wouldn't thing water vapor would be sucked through the intake and turbo and still survive. I live in NJ it has rained a lot this year but it's not a rainforest lol. Should mention though that I have no front bumper since putting the FMIC on

Believer
01-13-2017, 10:10 AM
This was a significant amount though. And I wouldn't thing water vapor would be sucked through the intake and turbo and still survive. I live in NJ it has rained a lot this year but it's not a rainforest lol. Should mention though that I have no front bumper since putting the FMIC on

I would verify there are no leaks/holes in the FMIC as well as all of your charge connections.

What is your filter setup?

NickW3
01-13-2017, 10:13 AM
I was thinking the same thing but as far as I know there's no leaks but I'll have to check. Even if there were some, it wasn't sitting in a puddle while running or anything. I wouldn't think that much water could get in there just from driving, ya know?

And I just have a cheap cone filter on my map with a TIP. Might go back to airbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NickW3
01-30-2017, 09:16 AM
update:
i checked for leaks and didn't find any, so i have no idea what this could be. Anybody have a clue?

Avant Nate
01-31-2017, 06:23 AM
I'm willing to bet it's just condensate. You have your turbo heat and compress the air, and the intercooler cools it with some decompression.

NickW3
01-31-2017, 11:30 AM
I'm willing to bet it's just condensate. You have your turbo heat and compress the air, and the intercooler cools it with some decompression.
makes sense to me, it was quite a bit though