PDA

View Full Version : What's your winter setup?



belinko
12-07-2005, 09:35 AM
What tire, wheel and suspension setup do run during the winter? Please try to specify your suspension settings as accurate as possible.

My all year round setting is: Pirelli Pzero nero M&S, on 17 x 17.5 RS4 reps, stock sport suspension. This setup should do me good this winter, but I think I'm going to do something else for the summer.


Just curious, because I don't have too much experience for winter settings. Although I do have experience driving in the winter.

Thanks Everyone.

UCFQuattroguy
12-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Exactly the same as summer.... Gotta love Florida!

matt719
12-07-2005, 10:33 AM
The only money I could put into my winter setup was a $2 ice scraper. I have nearly bald all-season Dunlop Sport A2s on 16" stock sport rims and non-sport suspension. It's funny because even with awful tires my car still fairs better than any non AWD car regardless of the tires. Quattro + ABS = Saved my life already this winter.

RedRocket
12-07-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by matt719
It's funny because even with awful tires my car still fairs better than any non AWD car regardless of the tires. Quattro + ABS = Saved my life already this winter.

Don't bullshit yourself. Quattro has nothing to do with breaking. If you wanna stop in the snow, it's all about tires.

matt719
12-07-2005, 11:31 AM
No, you're most definitely wrong. With rear wheel drive it is very easy to fish tail out of control. Ask me how I know. This problem is almost completely solved by AWD. ABS is even more beneficial... without ABS your wheels would lock incredibly easily in the snow and you would skid out of control.

RedRocket
12-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by matt719
No, you're most definitely wrong. With rear wheel drive it is very easy to fish tail out of control. Ask me how I know. This problem is almost completely solved by AWD. ABS is even more beneficial... without ABS your wheels would lock incredibly easily in the snow and you would skid out of control.

What am I wrong about? If you know how to control a gas pedal, you don't need AWD to avoid fishtailing while turning.

AWD and Crap tires is not better than RWD and good snow tires. I have both cars.

Good tires is the basics of all snow handling. Then brains, then equipment.

You are full of shit about ABS too. It's only been around for about 15 years. What did people do before that? Skid out of control???? NO!

It's called pumping the break and many will argue that it works better than ABS.

Are you trying to teach me something? Do some research before you reply.

matt719
12-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Ok... maybe tons of experience and good driving techniques COULD do as good of a job as AWD and ABS... or you could just take the "easy way out" and get ABS and AWD. ABS adjusts thousands of times per second. Let me know when you find someone who can pump the brakes that fast. What is your argument here anyways? Are you suggesting it's safer to drive without AWD and without ABS?

RedRocket
12-07-2005, 12:06 PM
^^^Read my first post to you. that's my point.

And ABS is not always better. Do the research yourself if you wanna know why, or just disregard what I'm saying.

ABS and Quattro have nothing to do with each other. My point in my first post.

Starting
12-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by matt719
I have nearly bald all-season Dunlop Sport A2s on 16" stock sport rims and non-sport suspension. It's funny because even with awful tires my car still fairs better than any non AWD car regardless of the tires. Quattro + ABS = Saved my life already this winter.

That's a completly bs statement.

jones3000
12-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Tires matter more than anything. Quattro cannot do what it's designed to if none of the wheels have grip. period.

IKE20VA4
12-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by matt719
Ok... maybe tons of experience and good driving techniques COULD do as good of a job as AWD and ABS... or you could just take the "easy way out" and get ABS and AWD. ABS adjusts thousands of times per second. Let me know when you find someone who can pump the brakes that fast. What is your argument here anyways? Are you suggesting it's safer to drive without AWD and without ABS?

i think his main argument is about the good tires for snow.

but i have to agree with you that for the leigh person who cannot pump their brakes even 10 times per second that ABS will probably stop you quicker and in more of a straightline that pumping and risking a skid (IMHO) but i could be wrong too!
either way, i also agree that better rubber will stop you much faster in snow than bald rubber.

EVIL-AUDI
12-07-2005, 12:14 PM
4 wheels slipping is always going to be 4 wheels slipping. Means nothing that they all are being driven by AWD

jaredpgh
12-07-2005, 12:18 PM
17x17.5???? Thats a WIIIIIDE wheel. you'll be floating over the snow instead of driving through it.

a4cefed
12-07-2005, 12:19 PM
i hate abs, and evil said it best!

RedRocket
12-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by 20VTURBOA4
ABS will probably stop you quicker and in more of a straightline than pumping and risking a skid (IMHO) but i could be wrong too!
either way, i also agree that better rubber will stop you much faster in snow than bald rubber.

Dont' get me wrong, I like ABS. Especially when it comes to the streight line factor. but this 719 guy is just blerting out that Quattro and ABS even with shit tires makes you a street God in the snow and that's TOTAL BULLSHIT. I don't want other drivers getting the impression that they are above physics with Quattro. That's all. And the truth is, Tires is what matters the most.

I've driven RWD, bald tires, and no ABS all in one. Good thing it was a Volvo.

diegomatrix
12-07-2005, 12:34 PM
[rolleyes] [headbang]

Gundem
12-07-2005, 12:44 PM
my whole year setup

peja
12-07-2005, 12:46 PM
15's with dedicated snows for the winter.

coilovers raised up about 1.5 inches to something around stock sport height.

still no abs though :) *beeeep beeeep beeeep*

goody6691
12-07-2005, 01:01 PM
97 jeep wrangler with a 3in lift a 33's the audi is sleeping for the winter in the garage

matt719
12-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by RedRocket
Dont' get me wrong, I like ABS. Especially when it comes to the streight line factor. but this 719 guy is just blerting out that Quattro and ABS even with shit tires makes you a street God in the snow and that's TOTAL BULLSHIT. I don't want other drivers getting the impression that they are above physics with Quattro. That's all. And the truth is, Tires is what matters the most.

I've driven RWD, bald tires, and no ABS all in one. Good thing it was a Volvo.

No, you're incorrect. I was merely suggesting you're a moron to tell me that Quattro and ABS didn't keep me from crashing, which indeed, you are a moron. Last time I checked, I wasn't winning and winter rally cross races with my setup, nor did I claim to; I only said it saved my ass.

Now, to get back to my point.. assume you aren't a professional-class driver (of whom you all seem to think you are) and you lock up your brakes in the snow. Give me one reason you'd rather not have ABS when the pedal is to the floor. The key isn't stopping faster one way or the other anyways; if you get into a skid, you could likely spin and end up off the road. With ABS you won't skid.. you might not slow down as fast as possible but the idea is you can still steer.

Also, I'm not praising Quattro specifically.. just the fact that it's all wheel drive, especially on a solid car.

The bottom line: I would trust my life to my A4 with Quattro and ABS and all-season tires over an old rear wheel drive Volvo with snow tires any day.

belinko
12-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Just about everyone here has a fundamental understanding and knowledge of Quattro and ABS. But what winter setup are you guys running.

Although I live in sunny SoCal, I'd really like to have a winter setup, since I do a lot of mountain driving in the winter. Please, I need some suggestions.

diegomatrix
12-07-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by matt719
No, you're incorrect. I was merely suggesting you're a moron to tell me that Quattro and ABS didn't keep me from crashing, which indeed, you are a moron. Last time I checked, I wasn't winning and winter rally cross races with my setup, nor did I claim to; I only said it saved my ass.


i call bullshit

just end the abs bs here....plz.....
this is the dumbest thread on abs and awd i've seen in a long.. and in the end, we all know who's right or wrong..

diegomatrix
12-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by belinko
Please, I need some suggestions.

tires discussed in another thread (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73667&highlight=winter)

matt719
12-07-2005, 02:21 PM
You yeah guys are right.. quattro and abs must just be some crazy marketing scheme..

Starting
12-07-2005, 02:27 PM
I'm running dunlop m3's on my 15" stocks.

Yuikio
12-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by matt719

The bottom line: I would trust my life to my A4 with Quattro and ABS and all-season tires over an old rear wheel drive Volvo with snow tires any day.

Snow tires>anything else, be it quattro, ABS, a 6 inch lift or a snow plow. I'd take the Volvo with snow in the conditions we had today. No matter how many times ABS pumps the pedal, if your tires are shite, you still don't have traction. I know; I've been sliding around the last two days with Quattro and ABS without snow tires.

matt719
12-07-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm not saying I disagree, you're certainly right that tires are important; however, I find my all-seasons to be adequate. Either way I can't afford snow tires so it doesn't matter [:D]

If you look at what most people drive through the winter... two wheel drive with bald summer tires in 2000lb cars, then I still feel safer than the average person.

Yuikio
12-07-2005, 03:26 PM
more like FWD with bald, crappy all seasons in 3600-5600lb cars.

As long as you don't hit me, I don't care.

belinko
12-07-2005, 03:45 PM
I guess I'm more interested in suspension setups for winter.

AudiSnawb
12-07-2005, 03:47 PM
OEM 15 inch sheels with Michelin Alpine Alps.... Love them they do AWESOEM in the snow :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/audisnawb/winterpic3.jpg

joeya103
12-07-2005, 04:15 PM
hey matt, no one was bashing abs or quattro. it's just dangerous to assume quattro will make you a snow god with bald tires.

quattro w/bald tires > 2wd w/bald tires.

but bald tires = dangerous. period.

i actually know people who have crashed specifically because of their false sense of security w/awd. they go out there and drive stupid, thinking they're the king of snow, when really...awd is a way to be safER than other cars. (wasn't major, just hit a light pole haha)

anyway, this is stupid. =P

i'm just truckin' on my 18s, hoping nothing happens to them haha. (shouldn't have sold my stocks! argh)

Yuikio
12-07-2005, 04:34 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/Yuikio/Snowcar.jpg

My new (used) snow tires (Dunlop M3s 235/45-17) are in the backseat, but I've had a bitch of a time getting someone to mount them. Costco refuses to, which I only learned after waiting there for almost an hour and a half. And today it was too cold for tire shops to do it, which is BS, but it's what they told me. They go on tomorrow.

RedRocket
12-08-2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by matt719
No, you're incorrect. I was merely suggesting you're a moron to tell me that Quattro and ABS didn't keep me from crashing, which indeed, you are a moron. Last time I checked, I wasn't winning and winter rally cross races with my setup, nor did I claim to; I only said it saved my ass.

Now, to get back to my point.. assume you aren't a professional-class driver (of whom you all seem to think you are) and you lock up your brakes in the snow. Give me one reason you'd rather not have ABS when the pedal is to the floor. The key isn't stopping faster one way or the other anyways; if you get into a skid, you could likely spin and end up off the road. With ABS you won't skid.. you might not slow down as fast as possible but the idea is you can still steer.

Also, I'm not praising Quattro specifically.. just the fact that it's all wheel drive, especially on a solid car.

The bottom line: I would trust my life to my A4 with Quattro and ABS and all-season tires over an old rear wheel drive Volvo with snow tires any day.

You are contradicting yourself. One minutes it bald tires, the next it's "all-season"

For your information I am a professional rally car driver. But I would never race against you. You have Quattro and Bald tires with ABS and that's a good setup. Heh, better than any FWD or RWD car that is.


Originally posted by matt719
I have nearly bald all-season Dunlop Sport A2s on 16" stock sport rims and non-sport suspension. It's funny because even with awful tires my car still fairs better than any non AWD car regardless of the tires.

^^^^This statement says it all. So stop trying to back up on your words.

Oh ya, and you wanted an example of when no ABS is better? ABS are lengthen your stopping distance. Ask anyone who off-roads.

And don't call me moron, I'm trying to help you sound smarter, as well as make sure nobody gets the sense that having Quattro makes them a snow God.

tYcOoN
12-08-2005, 12:39 PM
check my sig ! [:D]

Michelin Alpin Snow 205/55 R16

kris_tdi
12-08-2005, 12:50 PM
actually abs is slower to stop in the snow, thought it was common knowledge.

Yuikio
12-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by RedRocket

For your information I am a professional rally car driver.

Are you really? That's so badass.

I can personally vouch for the snow tires>quattro debate. Quattro=shit in snow without decent tires. I couldn't stop yesterday. Then I got my Dunlop M3s mounted this morning, and it's like the snow isn't even there.

onemoremile
12-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by kris_tdi
actually abs is slower to stop in the snow, thought it was common knowledge.

yup. snow piles up in front of a skidding tire like a snow plow. it works, well, some of the time.

due to a sidewall gash in one of the summer tires, i've had the snows on for a couple months now. i also got a chance to drive the S4 with it's summer GS-D3 on back to back with my car. holy crap that was a scary ride. like running down a snowy sidewalk with dress shoes on.

motive traction is what it is.
4 x nothing = nothing.
4 x something = more than 2 x something.


my winter setup is 225/45-17 Dunlop M2 SnowSports on 17x8 Flik Lex, stock sport suspension, A8 brakes, H-sport anti-roll bars, and a turbo kit that performs like it was made for children.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/IMG_2205_small.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/IMG_2213_small.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/IMG_2300.jpg