PDA

View Full Version : bought an ebay short shifter

Poopie
12-06-2005, 10:47 PM
we'll see how it goes. As far as i know, there are 2 generic brand short shifters on there. There is the 30-40% reduction one and the 45-50% reduction one so I went with that one. Seemed like the seller had happier costumers. I was looking into a v&s so if this one doesn't work out i'll go with that. Anyone else running one?

scooter44
12-06-2005, 11:17 PM
let us know how it works out..

BranCKY3
12-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Yea definately post any problems / good outcomes. They seem too inexpensive to be true.

Poopie
12-06-2005, 11:42 PM
I really don't see how much the difference can be from a b&m unit. If the shifter comes with what is pictured, its only missing the packets of grease, and some shims. I have some .001" stainless steal foil and a punch set so I can shim it up if there is slack. I definantly predict its gonna take a little more work to get it working smooth.

$teady$upreme
12-07-2005, 12:34 AM
do you have an eBay link, i want to check it out as well~

BranCKY3
12-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Poopie
I really don't see how much the difference can be from a b&m unit. If the shifter comes with what is pictured, its only missing the packets of grease, and some shims. I have some .001" stainless steal foil and a punch set so I can shim it up if there is slack. I definantly predict its gonna take a little more work to get it working smooth.

I'm hoping for the best.. Hopefully it will be just as good so I don't have to spend $150 on a SS.

peja
12-07-2005, 05:50 AM
94jedi will chime in about this, the consensus last time this was brought up that the ebay shifters didn't have very good fitment.

my take:

v&s = the way to go.

+ sergio is a fellow audi enthusiast and a great guy to deal with.

Starting
12-07-2005, 06:18 AM
a guy on aw has one and hasn't had a problem yet.

94jedi
12-07-2005, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by peja
94jedi will chime in about this, the consensus last time this was brought up that the ebay shifters didn't have very good fitment.

my take:

v&s = the way to go.

+ sergio is a fellow audi enthusiast and a great guy to deal with.

if I had to do it over, I'd go V&S. I bought the b&m knock off version off ebay. It was pretty crappy quality. the pieces that were supposed to fit didn't and I had to grind things down to make them fit. Oh and the instructions I got were a very poor photocopy....luckily I was able to download the intsructions from B&M's website.

it's in now and working fine but it was kind of a pain. I would've rather gone with the V&S.

goldenchild
12-07-2005, 06:43 AM
i have one and love it. the only thing that was bad was that ball on it needed to be shaved down so that the c clip could hold it in place as said before fitment issues but it was worth savin 100 bux

94jedi
12-07-2005, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by goldenchild
i have one and love it. the only thing that was bad was that ball on it needed to be shaved down so that the c clip could hold it in place as said before fitment issues but it was worth savin 100 bux

oh yeah, same thing here too.

Poopie
12-07-2005, 10:58 AM
check out link 8019844626

thats the one I got. The other one is ebay is 8020794278

notice the ball placement.

SeanF
12-07-2005, 01:34 PM
that one looks of better quality than the one i remember 94jedi picking up, maybe he'll comment on that...

DLN84
12-08-2005, 10:54 PM
friendly bump...let me know how the ebay shifter goes, im really interested...would love to save the money if i can. Please post pics once you have it installed...good luck

Poopie
12-09-2005, 12:12 AM
I'm going boarding for the weekend =) so no pics this weekend unless I get it by tomarrow. I'll definantly let you all know how it goes.

94jedi
12-09-2005, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by SeanF
that one looks of better quality than the one i remember 94jedi picking up, maybe he'll comment on that...

that's pretty much the same one I have, They are all b&m knock offs. IIRC, the ball is not fixed to the shifter. it comes off and can be moved around so don't pay too much attention to the placement off it. In my car, the ball was not used. The instructions said to re-use the plastic stock one.

DLN84
12-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by 94jedi
that's pretty much the same one I have, They are all b&m knock offs. IIRC, the ball is not fixed to the shifter. it comes off and can be moved around so don't pay too much attention to the placement off it. In my car, the ball was not used. The instructions said to re-use the plastic stock one.

so how come it came with a ball?

DLN84
12-11-2005, 12:05 AM
im thinkin ebay shifter as well though... i have more time to spend than money.

Poopie
12-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Hey, not so fast. I just got mine in today finally. It took about a week which isn't bad. My anticipation made it seem like a while. I'll let you know how it goes to see if its worth it. It didn't come with any grease so i'm gonna get some after I got wash the salt off my car. Hopefully I'll let you know how it goes by tonight. Initial impressions, its pretty nice. The machining isn't perfect, but its pretty good. It just needs a little better finishing job. Compared to a B&M at first glance it seems to be missing a few parts, but i don't have a unit side by side to compare to. Its just and impression. I'll take some pics as well as some before and after shots.

94jedi
12-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Hey, not so fast. I just got mine in today finally. It took about a week which isn't bad. My anticipation made it seem like a while. I'll let you know how it goes to see if its worth it. It didn't come with any grease so i'm gonna get some after I got wash the salt off my car. Hopefully I'll let you know how it goes by tonight. Initial impressions, its pretty nice. The machining isn't perfect, but its pretty good. It just needs a little better finishing job. Compared to a B&M at first glance it seems to be missing a few parts, but i don't have a unit side by side to compare to. Its just and impression. I'll take some pics as well as some before and after shots.

that's how they save a few bucks. they only send you the parts you need for your year car. go download the instructions from the b&m website. B&M has one kit. when you install it, you only use the parts for your car and have a few left over. not so with the ebay kit. plus as you found out they don't send you grease. I mean how cheap is that? Like I said, I have it and it works fine but I feel like I'm just waiting for it to crap out somehow.

qtek16
12-14-2005, 01:52 PM
let us know

DLN84
12-14-2005, 03:37 PM
yes yes bump for pics:)

Poopie
12-14-2005, 07:51 PM
sorry guys, no pics. i was way too frustrated to take pics. Pics would look like any on the net. The installation was the worst EVER. Finally impression, installing a new short shifter is a total pain in the ass. The parts themselves were perfectly fine for the most part. I had no fitment issues and everything seems tight except for the reverse pins. The B&M instructions wanted you to remove 4 nuts. 2 are unaccesible in 99.5 and below. I wasted so much time trying to take them off. I gave up and realized after looking though the instructions they didn't really do anything. The easiest way to do this is the follow the write up on AW. Thats what I resorted to. Be prepared to scrape up your hands. You really don't have a choice. I didn't like wearing gloves because the space is very limited to work with and you really need to feel around with your finger tips. Taking the assemble off should be pretty straight forward now that i went through it. I'll do my best from start to finish to explain the process. Sorry again for not taking picture. I was greasy and pissy the whole time. have 98 1.8tqm.

1) take shift knob and boot off. Knob screws off and shift boot pops up.

2) take away padding away if you have it. There are two nuts holding on an inner plate. Take them off and lift plate up.

3) unbolt the 2 bolts holding on the shifter assembly. There are 2 different sizes and are blow and above the shifter

4) unscrew the allen head screw holding on the shifter arm. You'll see what I mean. Its silver and 6mm. This was a bitch to get off. Its attached with some indestructable thread lock. I have a t handle allen wrench and i broke it trying to get it off. I ghetto rigged a socket extention with a 6mm socket and slid my broken wrench in and broke the sucker loose.

5) with all that off the shifter assemble can come out. If you have reverce remove the clip holding the spring down. Remove the spring and slide down the shifter. There is a spring loaded bullet so be careful taking it off. once the push down assembly is off, take off the retaining clip and you can yank the ball out of the socket

6) now is where you prep the ebay shifter. I highly recommending NOT having a pushdown reverse. Its a pain in the ass to have and a pain in the ass to reinstall. The parts that came with my kit did not fit very well. I broke them and said fuck it. No pushdown reverse. Saves a ton of headache. Another bonus to this is that you get to use the supplied ball. It tightens up the shifter and removes a lot of play i had with my stocker. Put the supplied oring in the slot on the shifter and slide the ball down and put the retaining clip.

7) grease the ball up and push the ball into the socket and put the clip back on.

8) This is the worlds most frustrating part. You have to somehome find away to line up the linkage, then put the spacer on top, then put th screw in. I can even descrivbe how i did it. Lots of trial and error. I recommend only using steel tools and then get a magnet tool to pick them up if you drop them in the hole. It tool me aobut 30 tries.

Once that is done, put all the pieces back in reverse order. You will need to find a way to space up the shift boot or it will sag all the way down and expose the shifter.

I hope this was some help. Post up if you have any questions.

4)

Poopie
12-14-2005, 11:32 PM
haha whoops, sorry for the grammer and shit. I'll fix it later

R-Dub
12-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Worth it?

Poopie
12-14-2005, 11:41 PM
of course. I would do it all again. The problems I had were not really related to the quality of the part. I would have gone through the same process if i bought a v&s or B&M. Maybe I'll change my mind in a week. lol

docurley
12-15-2005, 05:42 AM
Have you a link to the seller you got yours from?

Poopie
12-15-2005, 07:06 AM

DLN84
12-15-2005, 07:17 AM
its that easy to bypass the push down reverse? i would love get rid of it, but im too affraid to leave out some steps since i dont know how the mechanism works

94jedi
12-15-2005, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by DLN84
its that easy to bypass the push down reverse? i would love get rid of it, but im too affraid to leave out some steps since i dont know how the mechanism works

yeah there's a little machined "T" that goes into the side of handle. if you don't put it in, it doesn't get hung up on the lip on the right side of the shifter bracket(sorry for the poor description). Basically, you won't have to push down for the "T" to miss the lip. it will just slide past it.

Poopie
12-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Its more involved to actually get the push down reverse to work. Just don't do it, its not convenient at all. After a day of driving with it, I really really like it. The shifter is not sloppy anymore, no push down reverse is awesome, and the throws are so short! I feel like an formula one driver cause the throw distance is so short.

Poopie
12-15-2005, 05:58 PM
Found a cheap easy solution to keep the shift boot from sagging down the shaft, just zip tie it really tight.

DLN84
12-16-2005, 03:47 PM
so does the up and down motion still exist? i think that was the one thing i didnt really like because sometimes the shifter would go up and down while shifting since its a push down reverse.

Poopie
12-17-2005, 12:05 AM
nope, no more. The shifter is solid as a rock. Go ahead and get one. I really like mine.

jbrentd
02-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Back from the dead.

Is a set of snap ring pliers the only specialty item that is needed for the install?

Poopie
02-20-2006, 02:50 PM
you don't NEED them. I went to buy them but the cheapest place had them for $20 so I passed. I just used pliers to pull them away.

SeanF
02-20-2006, 02:54 PM
so how aggrivating is this?

Poopie
02-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Sucks, but well worth it in the end. All shoft shifters are a pain to install if you don't have that detachable shift plate on the 99.5 and above. B&M has the instructions online. I can't remember the size of the hex key, but I think you need a 7mm. Besure to get a good long one and one with a ratchet attachment.

94jedi
02-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Sucks, but well worth it in the end. All shoft shifters are a pain to install if you don't have that detachable shift plate on the 99.5 and above. B&M has the instructions online. I can't remember the size of the hex key, but I think you need a 7mm. Besure to get a good long one and one with a ratchet attachment.

lol, yep, and keep a magnet preferably telescopic on hand.

Silver98A4
07-15-2007, 12:08 PM
wow man, i know this is an old thread but i just completed the install on my ebay short shifter today and i recommend it to everyone.

it is a pain in the ass to install...especially if you have a pre 99.5....but i bypassed push down reverse, followed a few different sets of instructions, had left over parts, and in the end....it came out absolutely wonderful.

the shift feel is so solid now its unbelievable...the throws are so short and crisp....and all for about $40 shipped...its a steal. this new shift kit and my muffler made me almost fall in love with my car again and want to just go out drive it for miles

GdavB51.8Q
07-15-2007, 01:01 PM
who was the seller on ebay you bought your kit from?.....cause im looking into getting one too soon

GR-RALLYE
07-15-2007, 01:39 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-01-AUDI-A4-S4-RACING-SHORT-SHIFTER-97-98-99-00_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33736QQihZ005QQitemZ 150141169238QQrdZ1

this is the one i have. i definitely recommend it. its basically a B&M replica so just use the instructions on their site to install it. if you do get this make sure to use lock-tite or the bolts will loosen themselves up.

a4Tacoma
07-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Mine was well worth it.. Yeah it takes a little and it pisses you off when you install it, but every brand does.. They are mechanical, no different other than maybe type of metal.. I had to buy a different c clip, but other than that works exactly like my friends 250 b and M... Up to you if its worth paying for a name...

Silver98A4
07-15-2007, 01:45 PM
^^ yeah i bought that exact kit that michael posted...

using B&M instructions would have you removing the whole front console (all the way back to the rear ash tray) for cars earlier than 99.5.....but since the replica kit doesnt come with rails....you dont need to take that all off. just take off the shift boot, all the stuff in there...and use a long handled T Allen Wrench....squeeze your fingers in some tight spaces...and have patience when reconnecting the new shifter to the linkage at the end (prob the hardest part)

when you step back and think about it....its a pretty simple install, you just have to take everything apart and think logically

cabelooo
07-15-2007, 02:06 PM
i have one on my car either....only problem i had is that i didnt mark the positions so first gears needs a lil push to the left... i took a few pics and videos...i'll post wheni get home

Euro
11-18-2007, 10:51 PM
I just bought one.

.Mad Hatter.
11-18-2007, 11:03 PM
im having a very tough time finding the kit...i can see just the shifter, but none of the hardware comes with it...where are you guys seeing the kit?

Poopie
11-19-2007, 12:34 AM
no clue. I bought mine two years ago...still works like a charm

SouRce4
11-19-2007, 07:14 AM
i bought my short shifter off of ebay and absolutely love it. it really couldnt get any better. i even cut min e down to be even shorter and then took the die and re-threaded it. it sits real low, is really strong and really makes shifter hard nice. definately +1 to a good deal

auditi
11-19-2007, 10:30 PM
i just got and installed this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-01-AUDI-A4-S4-RACING-SHORT-THROW-SHIFTER-97-98-99-00_W0QQitemZ190175240576QQihZ009QQcategoryZ33736QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it completely transformed the way the car drives, should be stock.... and this kit came with everything i needed and more... i'd recommend having snap ring plyers, and make sure you have a 6mm hex driver, and grease...

.Mad Hatter.
11-19-2007, 10:38 PM
i just ordered one...if anyone has any tips on how to install on a 97 that would help...nows the time, lol.

auditi
11-19-2007, 10:56 PM
my biggest tip.... have lots and lots of patience... the rubber piece on the shifter was a pain. the shift throws are tight and precise, and now it isn't ackward shifting with the armrest down.... it will be well worth it when you are done...

.Mad Hatter.
11-19-2007, 11:01 PM
patience....damnit, thats going to be a problem, lol. its harder for the pre facelift cars because i cant remove the surround...looks like ill have to make sure i have lots of time with this one

auditi
11-19-2007, 11:05 PM
if you've worked with snap ring pliers before, and have all the proper tools, it won't take too long... its really not too bad, just frustrating at times...

this is one of the writeups i used that helped... (http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2539568.phtml)

.Mad Hatter.
11-19-2007, 11:07 PM
sweet, i appreciate it...B&M install instructions right?

deux321
11-19-2007, 11:17 PM
needle nose pliers FTW!!! haha screw snap ring pliers, who needs them.

auditi
11-19-2007, 11:19 PM
lol, i've never had luck with the needle nose on snap rings...

and i used b&m and the one from the link, they have different pictures that helped making the install smooth...

MikeWasHere05
11-20-2007, 06:41 AM
Wow old thread. Heres a quick tip that'll save you a big headache. Make sure to tighten down the bolt that connects the linkage from the fork to the piece that goes to the tranny. Preferably use some loc-tite, after you've adjusted it. I had that bolt back itself out because I didn't tighten enough one time, and had to drive 3 miles back home in 4th (only gear I could get it into) on a brand new SB STG3 clutch...

seank
11-20-2007, 10:03 AM
buy a box of band-aides, you will cut yourself when installing it, hands really don't fit well in the space you have to work in, but in the end it is totally worth it.

BranCKY3
11-20-2007, 10:38 AM
I have one, but I lost the circular clip that holds the shift rod tight against the ball. Any where I can find a new one? I've had it for about a year, and I use zip ties to hold it up [:p]

seank
11-20-2007, 12:16 PM
most hardware stores should sell circ clips

317ssayzarc
11-20-2007, 05:59 PM
not saying i endorse the use of ebay ss but they seem to be fine... my car came with a b&m so i have no need to buy another but if it didnt come with one, id probably pick up an ebay one [drive]

aRIf
11-20-2007, 06:24 PM
This is mine. Ebay SS.

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/5792/shortshifter006ag3.jpg

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/6776/39913529xf3.jpg

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/5830/97898952en7.jpg

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/5750/58135344ea8.jpg

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/8163/shortshifter013fz6.jpg

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8374/shortshifter014hw1.jpg

Stock 3rd 4th Gears
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/6452/shortshifter004om1.jpghttp://img386.imageshack.us/img386/3079/shortshifter005qa2.jpg

SS 3rd 4th Gears
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/3866/shortshifter015mj7.jpghttp://img386.imageshack.us/img386/170/shortshifter016ba3.jpg

GetBoosted84
11-20-2007, 09:00 PM
I have an eBay shifter in my car. They sent me all sorts of parts for it to support the push-down reverse junk but I didn't install that (my car never had it to begin with and I don't want it). The only issue was that with the shifter when I put it in the lowest possible position it did not allow the shifter to shift between gears because it would hit the bottom portion of the basket. No big deal though, just moved to the next position and it works great. Definitely remember to zip tie the plastic ball that goes over the metal one though. Feels SO much better after doing that.

Actually my shifter is the same exact one as pictured above in aRIf's post

.Mad Hatter.
11-20-2007, 09:11 PM
sweet, thanks for the pics...i cant wait

317ssayzarc
11-21-2007, 06:29 AM
hey guys check this thread out, seems to be a decent thread on ebay ss http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=3459359

Matt@JHM
11-21-2007, 10:04 AM
Pfft... this is my shifter - except with the threaded end and no pushdown.

http://jhmotorsports.com/forum/arctivavant/182324883-O-1.jpg
http://jhmotorsports.com/forum/arctivavant/182325287-O-1.jpg
http://jhmotorsports.com/forum/arctivavant/182325049-O-1.jpg
http://shop.jhmotorsports.com/images/11712388761771870071846.jpeg

[rolleyes][up]

ngrover
02-03-2008, 02:53 PM
6) now is where you prep the ebay shifter. I highly recommending NOT having a pushdown reverse. Its a pain in the ass to have and a pain in the ass to reinstall. The parts that came with my kit did not fit very well. I broke them and said fuck it. No pushdown reverse. Saves a ton of headache. Another bonus to this is that you get to use the supplied ball. It tightens up the shifter and removes a lot of play i had with my stocker. Put the supplied oring in the slot on the shifter and slide the ball down and put the retaining clip.

I just installed the ebay short shifter. Everything went smooth. I learned a few things

1) In order to keep you sanity and avoid having to use magnets or "picker tools" to grab dropped bolts, just stuff the shifter area with paper towel when putting everything back together, that way the bolts can't fall so far that you can't use your hands to get them out.

2) And this has to do with the quote above. I was able to use the steel ball which took out all the slack in my shifter. I was also able to retain the "push-down into reverse" functionality. Basically, I cut the old original plastic ball off the spring loader piece and put it on top of the metal ball. If you have the kit and re-read what I just said it should make sense.

In the end, I had no issues with the quality of the kit. Everything fit together and my shifter feels really slick (no slop, short throws). It took me three hours (not 1 like the B&M instructions say. I have a pre-99 so it's tougher to do). Some people may think the reverse blocking T-shaped piece is poor quality and a poor fit but I think it's like that for a reason... it's supposed to be hammered in and never move thereafter so it fits very very tight.

dualaudi
02-03-2008, 03:51 PM

I have a 99.5 and my reverse is the standard far right and back (no pushing down) - does that mean i have a short shifter? doesn't feel short...

.Mad Hatter.
02-03-2008, 07:17 PM
nope, i believe 99.5 is when they stopped using pushdown...if not before that.

Yaktizzle417
02-03-2008, 09:49 PM
yeah my 2000 doesnt have pushdown.

anyone else have a problem with washers between the linkage connector coming loose causing severe slop and stuff?

Poopie
02-03-2008, 11:01 PM
still no issues on mine. Push down reverse only came on the preface lift cars.

oldblu
02-04-2008, 06:21 PM
One thing I love about the stock shifter is it's neutral..Feels really good going left and right. How is that affected with the ebay ss?

oldblu
02-05-2008, 08:27 PM
seriously, someone please fill me in... I don't want it to feel like I'm trying to get into gear. I love the smoothness of the stock. With the ebay part, how is that affected?

Solaris
02-05-2008, 08:30 PM
You'll still have the same rubbery feel of the stock shifter, just the throws will be shorter.

auditi
02-05-2008, 09:22 PM
i lost most of the rubbery feel when i put my ebay ss on, much shorter throws, and smooth engagement....

ngrover
02-05-2008, 11:13 PM
After installing my ebay ss i've lost a lot of the "rubber". Feels much different. Make sure to install as much of the hardware as you can including the metal ball. I have no play in my shifter when in neutral.

Yeah so far it requires a little more arm power to shift but not very much. I consider my ss a good upgrade without question.

.Mad Hatter.
02-06-2008, 06:48 AM
if youre having issues getting it into gear you need to loosen that lower linkage bolt(you know the one thats a pain in the ass to get to). make sure the shifter is in centered when you tighten it.

Solaris
02-06-2008, 07:02 AM
You lost a lot of rubber feel because you aren't moving the shifter as much. It did that with mine, too, but it still feels rubbery. I'm certainly going to do the JHM linkage and bushing upgrade.

auditi
02-06-2008, 11:52 AM
You lost a lot of rubber feel because you aren't moving the shifter as much. It did that with mine, too, but it still feels rubbery....

that and i used the new plastic bushings instead of the old rubber ones....

also during the install, when the shifter is in, before you put the console back together, move the shifter into all gears and side to side to make sure it doesn't hit on anything. at first mine did, but a quick adjustment and it was fine. this install was the best thing i could have done to this car...

gotboost?!
02-06-2008, 03:32 PM
quick question should i use normal grease or is there something different for shifters?

.Mad Hatter.
02-06-2008, 06:31 PM
i used normal grease...whatever was in my toolbox, bearing grease.