PDA

View Full Version : for those of u who have southbends

aesthetics
12-06-2005, 07:40 PM
So my clutch is broken in...i have about 800 miles on it( its a southbend DXD).

i was fuckin around just before and doing small launches at about 3k. before i start going higher, i want to know how you guys launch with this clutch. do you guys rev it up...hold it...and then just quickly drop the clutch completely? do you guys rev it up...hold it...and then slowly release?

I just want some tips on how you guys launch with this clutch cuz it feels a lot different from the stock clutch

k0mpresd
12-06-2005, 07:49 PM
i rev'ed mine up to about 3500 and dumped the clutch last night...first launch ive ever done w/ it

it was wet, the tires slipped for a little bit till boost hit then they just fully let go and the tach jumped to 6k...spinning all 4 wheels is fun [:)]

aesthetics
12-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by k0mpresd
i rev'ed mine up to about 3500 and dumped the clutch last night...first launch ive ever done w/ it

it was wet, the tires slipped for a little bit till boost hit then they just fully let go and the tach jumped to 6k...spinning all 4 wheels is fun [:)]

haha niceee..yea ive done a awd burnout before...i had to slowly roll down a hill backwards..then launch...and i was in the pouring rain. but anyway...when u say "dump" u mean just completely let go of clutch quickly right?

buck
12-06-2005, 08:13 PM
on my stock clutch - I dont right dump it - but a rather quick controlled release. when you get the feel for it and hit that solid launch - man, it's like a dang slingshot!

bitterchild
12-06-2005, 10:11 PM
since you're na you can hold an rpm and then slip the clutch to launch.

94jedi
12-07-2005, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by bitterchild
since you're na you can hold an rpm and then slip the clutch to launch.

yep, I was just gonna chime in with that. basically just hold a specific rpm(you'll have to play with it to see what produces bog/traction), then slip/feather the clutch as you see fit....you pretty much want to be on the edge of traction the whole time.

TomRitt18944
12-07-2005, 07:02 AM
hold the peddle on the right all the way one the floor, sidestep foot off peddle on the left...

ok maybe not, just do what the other guys said, shouldnt be that hard na

aesthetics
12-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by TomRitt18944
hold the peddle on the right all the way one the floor, sidestep foot off peddle on the left...

ok maybe not, just do what the other guys said, shouldnt be that hard na

lololol nooo see thats what ur not supposed to do....are you saying to hold clutch in...rev up...and slide ur foot off the clutch quickly to the left?

maybe thats not what u meant..but thats just wat i think lol

thanks everyone tho, i figured it shoudl be a quick, controlled release of the clutch with feathering and slipping included. if anyone got anymore tips, jus let me know

bitterchild
12-07-2005, 01:16 PM
your only concern should be bog, thus concentrate on your clutch slipping and dipping in to the throttle

nizmosx
12-07-2005, 01:19 PM
I just got my southbend ofe ss. cant wait to put it in. i was quoted 455 for install at drs

aesthetics
12-08-2005, 11:37 AM
niceee..thats not bad for install.....KMD charged me 510 for install of my DXD

tkarwin
12-08-2005, 11:55 AM
what is the best launch style for a 1.8T then?

And when you say the clutch feels different compared to stock, what do you mean? Where does the clutch let out? Is it a stiffer pedal than stock? Is it more of an on off engagement, or are you still able to do nice smooth starts? Thanks for the info. I will be needing to replace my clutch sometime soon and I think I will be going with either the Spec or the Southbend. (Not threadjacking!!!)

aesthetics
12-08-2005, 12:06 PM
I say go southbed...they get only good reviews. i hear good things about spec clutches also, but people say to get a southbend. the main difference is the stiffness of the peddle and how much smoother it is when u engage in each gear. It still catches at the same spot, but the peddle is just stiffer.

alen
12-08-2005, 12:37 PM
pedal.