PDA

View Full Version : Do all 2001 a4s have heated seat switches??

ajbennett60
01-05-2017, 05:18 PM
Considering a heated seats retro fit. Long story long:

I bought a used a4..it has the 0-6 heated seat switches in the dash but they don't heat the seats nor do the #s light up when turned on. There was no fuse in the heated seats slot so I tried to put the appropriate size in but it was all loose and didn't feel like a fuse was meant to be there.

SO I had my Audi mech look into it and he said he checked the VIN and my car didn't come with them so he guessed that a previous owner must've put in new dash controls at some point (makes sense cuz there's some evidence of a sticky drink spill elsewhere in the region).

Well my drivers seat has a couple tears in it so I asked a local guy how much to repair: $200.. while a local parts yard wants $250 for both non-torn seats from a parts car that's the same year, model and interior. All he'll let me see are pics of them as public aren't allowed in the yard, but they look to be in good shape.
https://caveman.autopartsearch.com/catalog-6/itemdetail/2001_audi_a4/OR20-38124#lg=1&slide=8

another pic of the parts car shows the dash WITH THE HEATED SEATS SWITCHES
https://api.autopartsearch.com//urgimages/or20/images/C16213/C16213_109319.jpg

but the guy said the seats are not heated..

So either my mech is wrong and all 2001 a4s come with the switches whether they have the wiring and seat elements or not...
OR the parts yard doesn't really know if the parts car seats are heated (but I checked the VIN and didn't see they are)...
OR both my car and the parts car coincidentally had switches installed for other reasons.

All this matters bc if I can get untorn seats that have the heating elements in them then all I'd need is the wiring harness to pull a retrofit! I need a way of knowing if the parts yard seats are heated without seeing the car!

Cactus Avant
01-05-2017, 05:40 PM
I can tell you not all B5s had heated seats, but I do not know about 2001 specifically. 2001 was the last year of the b5 a4 though, so theres a possibility they all had it, because Audi typically loads their final model years up, but I don't know for sure. As for the seats, $250 seems a little steep to me for pleather A4 seats. In my local junkyard (given it is a pull-it-yourself), seats are $34 each. I actually got front and rear seats (not torn, and heated), all door panels and some other interior bits for $100. And as for the tear in the seat, that is super common as I'm sure you know, however, if you can find just the bottom cover from a passenger seat, you can replace the drivers seat bottom with it.

I don't know how well this answers your questions, but I think you might be able to find some parts a little cheaper. Good luck [up]

SN95Audi87
01-05-2017, 06:23 PM
I have 2001 Audi 1.8T early model by VIN and I do not have heated seat buttons on the center console. My car was the pleather option and on top of that the car was sold orginally in North Carolina. Definitely oddball option car lol...

redline380
01-05-2017, 06:31 PM
Heated seats only came with the cold weather package, including heated mirrors and the ski sack in the back seat. Have those?

Or, go under the seat. Now this is just a guess, but *I think* the green plug is for heated seats. The red plug is for power/ground, and the yellow plug is for air bags, so that should mean the green plug is for heated seats, right? Have that?

If you don't have heated seats, it is going to be a bastard to wire them in.

SN95Audi87
01-05-2017, 06:49 PM
Heated seats only came with the cold weather package, including heated mirrors and the ski sack in the back seat. Have those?

Or, go under the seat. Now this is just a guess, but *I think* the green plug is for heated seats. The red plug is for power/ground, and the yellow plug is for air bags, so that should mean the green plug is for heated seats, right? Have that?

My car has the heated mirrors and anti-dazzle. I believe I have the green connector as well. I remember seeing it when I had to ziptie the purple connector under the seat so the airbag light doesn't keep going on when heavy people sit in it.

RichLu
01-05-2017, 07:19 PM
Not all but some do however if you switch to s4 seats all the needed wiring is there still!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajbennett60
01-11-2017, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone! No green plugs under my seats but there are the slots slot for them..wondering if the seats have the heating elements in them anyway but I'm doubting it. Still don't know whether the parts car has heated seats though. So if they only have switches if they have the package then it seems unlikely that both my car AND the parts car had the switches put in at some point. I'm betting that they're heated..

I don't have heat (pretty sure it's the blend door) or heated seats but I'd settle to have one. I'd be getting the work done for me anyway so it'd come down to labor for wiring in harnesses for heated seats retrofit or dash dissambly labor for blend door fix. Hrmm..

DeltaAlpha9
01-12-2017, 10:22 AM

I have the cold weather package on my car and parts car (Canadian cars) and I don't have the ski bag in either of them. I think the pass through rear seats were an option and not just included with the cold weather set up.

OverSpun
01-17-2017, 02:10 AM
I had a 2001.5 1.8t A4 Sedan and my current 2001 1.8t A4 Avant and neither had heated seats. Not all 2001 1.8ts had heated seats but I don't know about 2.8s.

ajbennett60
01-17-2017, 08:36 AM
Update..Based on the fact I could see the heated seats switches in one of the parts car photos, I asked the guy to check if the car had the ski sack and the green plug under the seat and it does! Turns out I was right about that...i think I'll go through with it..even if i can't get the wiring done right with the kufatec harness I'll still have non-torn seats and have all the parts in hand to retrofit if i run into someone that'll do the wiring. Its not my primary transportation so i chip away at this.

Btw I know not all 2001 a4s have heated seats, my question was whether ones that don't have the switches in the dash and/or heating elements in the seats not hooked up to anything anyway

ajbennett60
01-22-2017, 06:59 PM
Another update...got the seats from the parts yard..great condition and with the heating elements. Waiting for my kufatec harness before switching out. I'm planning on following "step 2" from this post:

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/yes-virginia-you-can-add-oem-heated-seats-a4-341658/

Not sure if I'll have to do any splicing since I'll have a fresh not pulled harnesses. Gotta see what the harness looks like when it comes. Gonna take it slow and steady.

MantanaB6
02-16-2017, 05:14 AM
Another update...got the seats from the parts yard..great condition and with the heating elements. Waiting for my kufatec harness before switching out. I'm planning on following "step 2" from this post:

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/yes-virginia-you-can-add-oem-heated-seats-a4-341658/

Not sure if I'll have to do any splicing since I'll have a fresh not pulled harnesses. Gotta see what the harness looks like when it comes. Gonna take it slow and steady.

I've got a question for you... I just bought a B6 S4 and it had the heated seat controls on the CC panel. I turned it up since it was cold, and got nothing. Opened up the fuse panel and there wasn't a fuse in the heated seats position (#44 in B6's). Popped a 30A fuse in and got the same super loose/not connected feeling. In fact the fuse just falls out. Did you determine on you car if this meant there was a lack of wiring for the heater seats? Haven't had time to check under the seats for the green plug etc (not daily driving the car currently), but wondering if maybe this car doesn't have heated seats... which would be a total bummer.

b6Hate4
02-16-2017, 05:24 AM
I've got a question for you... I just bought a B6 S4 and it had the heated seat controls on the CC panel. I turned it up since it was cold, and got nothing. Opened up the fuse panel and there wasn't a fuse in the heated seats position (#44 in B6's). Popped a 30A fuse in and got the same super loose/not connected feeling. In fact the fuse just falls out. Did you determine on you car if this meant there was a lack of wiring for the heater seats? Haven't had time to check under the seats for the green plug etc (not daily driving the car currently), but wondering if maybe this car doesn't have heated seats... which would be a total bummer.

Unless someone swapped a climate control you should have heated seats.

MantanaB6
02-16-2017, 05:27 AM
Unless someone swapped a climate control you should have heated seats.

Well that's what I'm beginning to wonder. In my B6 A4 the seat heat control kinda 'click' (for lack of a better word) at each level. In the S4 the control seems to spin freely as if not hooked up to anything...

b6Hate4
02-16-2017, 06:54 AM
Well that's what I'm beginning to wonder. In my B6 A4 the seat heat control kinda 'click' (for lack of a better word) at each level. In the S4 the control seems to spin freely as if not hooked up to anything...

I would think it should still click the same, due to the switch being internal to the climate control. You could try and pull your CC and check to see if there are any blank connectors.

MantanaB6
02-16-2017, 07:03 AM
I would think it should still click the same, due to the switch being internal to the climate control. You could try and pull your CC and check to see if there are any blank connectors.

Yea I'm going to get to the bottom of it this weekend. I'm guessing the seats aren't heated, in which case I will be putting them up for sale (already posted a feeler in the New England classifieds...). Heated seat retrofit here we come! Exactly what I didn't want to be dealing with...

JetG0ld
02-16-2017, 08:34 AM
Not all but some do however if you switch to s4 seats all the needed wiring is there still!

Correct, but you need to grind off the center rail piece on the floorboard of the car, and you need to weld in nutcerts into the 2 open holes on the floor as well. Some people feel the nutcerts arent safe so depending on your level of comfort, you may even need to weld in some reinforcement brackets.