PDA

View Full Version : Shock/Spring Install DIY

A4orce84
12-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Hey Guys,

Searched the archives and the tech articles, and didn't really find that many writeups on installing new shock/spring combo. Just this one, and it is for avant unfortunately:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel14.shtml

I have a number of friends with Jetta's and Golf's who have done spring/shock and coilover installs on their cars, but no A4's....I'm pretty sure these guys and myself can do the install, but we neeed some directions. Can anyone help me locate some writeups or anything? Thanks in advance!

--Asif

Starting
12-05-2005, 05:09 PM
I already told you on AW.

A4orce84
12-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Yeah but besides this link and the coilovers I was wondering if there were any others.

Your explanation was good but lacked pictures, I'm just seeing if there is anything else out there before I jump into the install in a few weeks.

--Asif

SeanF
12-05-2005, 05:29 PM
hey, dont bother taking off the upper links from the steering knuckle... just unbolt the bottom of the shock, and push down on the hub to get the bottom off of the control arm

makes things so much easier...

jbrentd
12-05-2005, 07:58 PM
where in Oklahoma are you?

nramsey
12-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by SeanF
hey, dont bother taking off the upper links from the steering knuckle... just unbolt the bottom of the shock, and push down on the hub to get the bottom off of the control arm

makes things so much easier...

^^^^^ What he said. I've done two B5 coilover installs and this method is cake. You'll probably need to unbolt the front sway bar and it can also help to turn the wheels one way or the other to move the CV boot out of the way when removing the front shock lower mount.