PDA

View Full Version : Engine BLEW UP

Aliel
12-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Well I have a blown enigne now. It sucks getting stuck in the snow waiting for the tow truck for 3 hours to come at 4:30 in the morning. I don't exactly know what happend but I was running a K04 on a Dahlback K03 software why waiting on my injectors and the PC-16 file that I wanted to do. Now I have a hole in my block.

If anybody is selling an enigne or knows a of somebody or a place that is selling an AEB 1.8T enigne please let me know as I desperately need an engine this week. Thank you guys.

TurbousMaximus
12-05-2005, 03:42 PM
jeez man that sucks to hear, good luck in your search for an engine.

Aliel
12-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Yeah man it messes up one day before I was supposed to put the clutch snub mount and engine mounts in. I have all these parts laying around in my room and I just need an engine.

Gundem
12-05-2005, 03:51 PM
damn...ouch. sorry to hear that

god bless cali

alen
12-05-2005, 03:59 PM
sorry to hear. how long (miles) did you run the K04 on the K03 software?

Aliel
12-05-2005, 04:05 PM
400 miles man. Exatly one week and I was supposed to get injectors fpr and the PC-16 file this week.

Quattrocket
12-05-2005, 04:42 PM
did you just run it too lean and crack the block? man seems like alot of ppl blowing their motors/

Jeff
12-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Aliel
Well I have a blown enigne now. It sucks getting stuck in the snow waiting for the tow truck for 3 hours to come at 4:30 in the morning. I don't exactly know what happend but I was running a K04 on a Dahlback K03 software why waiting on my injectors and the PC-16 file that I wanted to do. Now I have a hole in my block.

If anybody is selling an enigne or knows a of somebody or a place that is selling an AEB 1.8T enigne please let me know as I desperately need an engine this week. Thank you guys.

You broke a rod (I would assume #3 or #4). This might interest you:

http://www.audigeeks.com/forums/index.php?topic=656.0

http://www.audigeeks.com/images/piston4_skirt.jpg

LateraLex
12-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Wow Im envious that 1. you guys are both coolheaded about blowing an engine 2. know how to put a new one in.

Jeff
12-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by LateraLex
Wow Im envious that 1. you guys are both coolheaded about blowing an engine 2. know how to put a new one in.

Well shit happens when you start pushing the limits, and quite honestly, anything less of a AEB WILL break once you push the envelope, especially the rods. An expensive yet educational lesson, nevertheless.

Full case study on my rod failure will be up shortly. Stay tuned! [:)]

AudiGeeks.com: Knowledge = Horsepower (http://www.audigeeks.com)

LaTenTConcepT
12-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Jeff
Well shit happens when you start pushing the limits, and quite honestly, anything less of a AEB WILL break once you push the envelope, especially the rods. An expensive yet educational lesson, nevertheless.

Full case study on my rod failure will be up shortly. Stay tuned! [:)]

AudiGeeks.com: Knowledge = Horsepower (http://www.audigeeks.com)

Your car did that just form running lean????!!! I thought if the car was running lean it would just run shitty?? Just wodnering for my own info what happens when you car runs lean and how did you blow your engein from it??

TomRitt18944
12-05-2005, 10:05 PM
running lean is very very dangerous, thats how most engines are blown, combustion chamber temps get too hot, and the gas combusts prematurly why the piston is till on its way up cause it to snap called detonation or pre-ignition. Its also what blew my motor

TomRitt18944
12-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Jeff, in your thread u said there were no signs of detonation, mine also had no signs of detonation, not one mark on the piston top, or cyl wall, but i know for a fact it blew from detonation...just a little heads up

nramsey
12-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Bummer. Wonder if the KO3 software somehow couldn't deal with the higher airflow of the KO4 which lead to lean running an detonation?

Hope you're able to get the car back on the road soon! It's alot less of a terrible occurance since you can put the engine in yourself...saves BIG money.

audi_a4_kid
12-06-2005, 12:50 AM
not trying to be a jerk but IIRC Dahlback does not like it when you do not run their approved parts. I.e. With the ko4 you run their exhaust,fpr, software, injectors, ect.

Devious27t
12-06-2005, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by TomRitt18944
Jeff, in your thread u said there were no signs of detonation, mine also had no signs of detonation, not one mark on the piston top, or cyl wall, but i know for a fact it blew from detonation...just a little heads up

there are plenty of logs from his car to support his theory it was running lean nor was it detonating.... his car was sauced up on C16 when it blew up iirc.

to blow a motor with a K04 i think there would have to be something else seriously wrong..... i can fart and move more air then a k04..... that is just my opinion what do i know [rolleyes]

Jeff
12-06-2005, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by LaTenTConcepT
Your car did that just form running lean????!!! I thought if the car was running lean it would just run shitty?? Just wodnering for my own info what happens when you car runs lean and how did you blow your engein from it??

My rods simply gave out also tearing a new one in piston from the wristpin joint... after a week of ABUSE and making over 330wtq. Car was on C16, EGT's in the low 800's.

But on a K04, it can a number of things. I've seen cases where a failed MAF can contribute to that. You indicated your car is PC-16 correct? I'm not quite sure of the PC-16 setup, but does it have a 4Mb EEPROM as opposed to the more modern 8Mb EEPROM? The reason I ask that is because the 4Mb's had a lot less "safeties" and features. A simple failed MAF could simply cause a lean environment, as opposed to the car going being smart enough to go into Limp Mode.

Jeff
12-06-2005, 01:18 AM

What basis do you have that made you believe it was running lean? Also, how do your sparkplug tips look after the failure?

TomRitt18944
12-06-2005, 06:52 AM
Ah egt's in the 800 shouldnt be a problem, Mine i had just put in the new turbo, i was on my wat to get my computer from the autoshop, i did 1 quick 2nd gear pull wich my buddy video'd and slowing it down i saw 15.1->17.1 a/r, the next pull was 3rd gear and it blew...shoulda been watching it :/ Plugs looked perfect, grey, clean etc, by looking at you rod you should be able to tell if it snapped on the upstrok or the downstroke

juju4uofa
12-06-2005, 07:13 AM
It's safe to say that if you're going to do ANY turbo upgrade get an air/fuel gauge. I'm sure many people don't run them but for $100 it sure is comforting. BTW, if you see you're running lean, what should you do (until it's fixed that is)? I would assume just take it easy and stay out of boost until you can give the engine more fuel. This sure makes me reconsider running a K04 on K03 software until I could afford the correct software. I'll definetely do it all at once now. I hate this for you Aliel, good luck finding and installing a new motor.

goldenchild
12-06-2005, 07:28 AM
one thing is like someone said dahlback tuning is all in its own. they r the best when it comes to the k04-15 but they also produce their own k04. completly different than the reg ones. im guessing this why the engine failed bc when u go with dahlback u cant mix things like that u run whats ment to be ran with its software, turbo, etc im sure that wouldnt happen if u put a k04 on giac k03 software. well its never happened not that ive heard of

EVIL-AUDI
12-06-2005, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by juju4uofa
It's safe to say that if you're going to do ANY turbo upgrade get an air/fuel gauge.

That type of AF gauge isn't worth shit.

juju4uofa
12-06-2005, 07:52 AM
How should you correctly measure your ratio Evil-Audi? I've seen gauges that measure the actual ratio and ones that read lean, stoichiometric, or rich. Are you saying none of these are good?

TomRitt18944
12-06-2005, 07:54 AM
yea u should use that that uses a wideband o2 sensor rather than our stock unaccurate narrowband sensors

juju4uofa
12-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Ok, I'm still a little confused. You can buy a wideband o2 sensor and then gauges will work fine or you need a gauge that incorporates a wideband? Are we talking about the same pre and post cat o2 sensors? Which one do you use? Sorry, I'm just cluless

TomRitt18944
12-06-2005, 08:46 AM
Yea I think you need a gauge which incorporates a wideband, its a wideband controller as its called, usually no less than ~$275, yes this would be a second precat o2 sensor

audidrvr
12-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by juju4uofa
Ok, I'm still a little confused. You can buy a wideband o2 sensor and then gauges will work fine or you need a gauge that incorporates a wideband? Are we talking about the same pre and post cat o2 sensors? Which one do you use? Sorry, I'm just cluless

Not sure about our cars without more research but you would usually replace the precat o2 sensor with a wide band unit and use the wideband controller to view your stoichmetric<--(sp) reading. The reason I say replace is because some wideband sensor have a narrowband signal out that you can use to "plug into" the ecu.

bitterchild
12-06-2005, 11:19 AM
yup but good luck tricking the heater circuit. you'll get a perfect narrowband signal but the ecu won't accept it.

Devious27t
12-06-2005, 12:03 PM
and slowing it down i saw 15.1->17.1 a/r, the next pull was 3rd gear and it blew...Plugs looked perfect, grey, clean etc

The car will always lean out when you are slowing down.... if there arent any other tell tale signs it was likely something else, this is your third large turbo you have had on that motor no?

TomRitt18944
12-06-2005, 12:10 PM
yea i know it will lean out off throttle I have been watching the a/f for the past 3k mi I have seen how it works, it would actually lean out to more like 60:1 off thottle. I'm saying that watching the vid, as it hit about 5000rpm wot, the a/f was that lean which is obviously detonating yet there were no telltail signs on the psitons plugs or cyl wall. I think there was no signs because it ramped up the boost very quickly in my case, i was only in full boost for maybe a second.

I read the whole post Jeff made and he said his boost sort of spiked off his boost gauge as well so im thinking, maybe a split 2nd or two of detonation wont make the telltale marks? Just a suggestion or thought

TomRitt18944
12-06-2005, 12:11 PM
yes ive had the ko3, ko4, gt28rs .86, and t3/t04e on that motor

Aliel
12-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Well I was staying off the boost that day totally cuz it was snowing too. I mean seriously the engine blew up at 3k rpm.

About the Dahlback tuning. Danny from KMD Tuning said I should be allright for a while since Dahlback doesn't make software for a regular K04.

Devious27t
12-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Well I was staying off the boost that day totally cuz it was snowing too. I mean seriously the engine blew up at 3k rpm.

About the Dahlback tuning. Danny from KMD Tuning said I should be allright for a while since Dahlback doesn't make software for a regular K04.

i highly doubt it was the tuning. the k04 will kill itself before it kills a motor.

TomRitt18944
12-06-2005, 01:15 PM
yea I agree, if it happened off boost, most likely it was do to something else, maybe oil starvation?

audidrvr
12-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by bitterchild
yup but good luck tricking the heater circuit. you'll get a perfect narrowband signal but the ecu won't accept it.

Heater circuit? you mean the heated part of the sensor that burns off stuff? If so then I would think that you just need a heated wideband sensor. I could be way off, this isnt something I know to much about.

belinko
12-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Do it once, do it twice, but do it right. Why would you do partial installs of modifications? Patience is a virtue.

bitterchild
12-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by audidrvr
Heater circuit? you mean the heated part of the sensor that burns off stuff? If so then I would think that you just need a heated wideband sensor. I could be way off, this isnt something I know to much about.

heater circuit for the narrowband is controlled by the ecu, if it doesn't see the heater circuit functioning properly it won't take the narrowband input all the time and throw a cel. I've been fvcking w/ this shit for awhile now.

Aliel
12-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Man the cheapest enigne I could find was $1600. Its got 45K miles.

juju4uofa
12-06-2005, 02:18 PM
I don't know too much about AEBs, but considering the price of Honda motor swaps that seems about right. Sorry man!

R-Dub
12-06-2005, 02:19 PM
Man the cheapest enigne I could find was $1600. Its got 45K miles.

Thats a pretty good price.

Then again if my engine goes I have to find a AWM...

TomRitt18944
12-06-2005, 02:33 PM
yea thats a good price, whats all included?
I can get you a bottom end for 500, but most likley the piston hit your valves

TomRitt18944
12-06-2005, 02:44 PM
pm sent

bitterchild
12-06-2005, 02:52 PM
AEBs are expensive b/c all vw/audi guys want em. They're the strongest bottom end short of the 225.

Aliel
12-06-2005, 05:28 PM
I actually purchased that engine today and pick it up friday. I gotta go get it done at the mechanic cuz I have finals and papers now so I have no time at all. Plus it has to be finished by the 18th the max cuz I leave the country on the 20th. I'm gonna keep the old engine and post pictures ASAP so you guys can see what happend.

qtek16
12-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Jeff
My rods simply gave out also tearing a new one in piston from the wristpin joint... after a week of ABUSE and making over 330wtq. Car was on C16, EGT's in the low 800's.

But on a K04, it can a number of things. I've seen cases where a failed MAF can contribute to that. You indicated your car is PC-16 correct? I'm not quite sure of the PC-16 setup, but does it have a 4Mb EEPROM as opposed to the more modern 8Mb EEPROM? The reason I ask that is because the 4Mb's had a lot less "safeties" and features. A simple failed MAF could simply cause a lean environment, as opposed to the car going being smart enough to go into Limp Mode.

My MAF was bad, and i was running lean, car ran great, was burning gas faster though, regardless lean on forced induction is bad period i didnt think u could blow the motor from that though

Rosati
12-06-2005, 07:17 PM
what is the final word on preventing this?

He had no major tuning.

Wideband af guage and sensors the way to go?