PDA

View Full Version : HELP! uppipe disconnected from turbo

CaSp3r9
12-04-2005, 09:59 PM
Hey guys, first off, I don't exactly have all of my engine vocab down so excuse me if i sound like an idiot haha, and this is on my 1998 A4 1.8t Quattro 5-speed. Anyway... I was driving around this evening and on my way home I was having some fun... All of a sudden I hear this very loud bang followed by what sounded like a very bad exhaust leak (which I later found out, it was) (Note: I had it floored at the time.) My cat, or uppipe (?) coming off of my turbo (with an 02 sensor in it) had been disconnected from the exhaust manifold or whatever that comes directly off of my turbo. I was thinking that maybe this was due to my turbo getting too hot, since I'm running about 17-18lbs of boost with my APR software and my cat just got too hot, expanded where the two parts connected and popped off... I'm not sure though. Everything seems to be alright, my car runs fine and there are no check engine lights on, its just loud as hell becuase my entire exhaust system is disconnected. Could anyone tell me what may have caused this, If it will be alright to drive approx. 2 miles to my mechanic and what I can expect in order to have it repaired? Will it just have to simply be reattached?
Thanks guys!

p.s. I'm new here, so I haven't figured out how to use everything yet... but message me or IM me at CaSp3r9 on AIM and I'll send you some pics

JeffM1587
12-04-2005, 10:02 PM
ya u will be fine to drive, it may have been a broken weld?

R-Dub
12-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Turbo - Cat - Down pipe

Your cat wouldnt get too hot to the point where it would severe itself with 17lb boost. I spike at 20 and have never had that problem.

If your cat just snapped - it will cause problems temporarily, but 2 miles to a tech for a weld wont kill you.

All thats happening now is your are pumping exhaust into your engine bay which can cause problems but the sooner you get it taken care of the better.

Hope this helps!

offroader1006
12-04-2005, 10:39 PM
not that easy

its a pressed in fit from the cat to the flange bolted to the turbo.

it happened a few times that ive heard of, happened to my car.

pretty sure it happens when the different metals expand at different speeds, the flange just kinda lets the cat go.

youll have to mark where it meets the flange, take it all off. get them back together, then bolt it back up to make sure the support bolt still mounts up, then take it out and weld it in place. i tried just tacking it, and it came out again, throw a thick bead on it and you wont have a problem again.

taking it out is easy, just 6 nuts and the 02 sensors

bitterchild
12-04-2005, 11:07 PM
well the correct way would be tacking it on the outside and laying a bead inside. then grind it back on the inside.

no way I'd go through that much trouble w/ the stock cat though. I'd lay a thick bead and look in to making a new exhaust in the near future.

CaSp3r9
12-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Thanks for all your help guys! I hope nothing else happened, I'm glad to hear that its a somewhat of a simple fix. I'm taking it in tomorrow morning. [wrench] We'll see how it goes!

Aliel
12-05-2005, 12:16 AM
Happend to me. I drove it for about 20 miles no problems. Don't push it though... you don't want to get it hot enought to strat melting wires and stuff.

94jedi
12-05-2005, 07:29 AM
that's actually fairly common, ask Evil. Just weld that sucker back up. or get a test pipe/HFC.

EVIL-AUDI
12-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Never had it happen to my car, but heard of it with many other member's rides

94jedi
12-05-2005, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by EVIL-AUDI
Never had it happen to my car, but heard of it with many other member's rides

my mistake, I thought it happened to yours once.

atwalker6
12-05-2005, 11:53 AM
wow that must be pretty scary....

geeboyjibber
12-05-2005, 01:20 PM
are you a subie guy? because you said "uppipe"

b00st
12-05-2005, 02:35 PM
yeah those subie drivers and their uppipes. i remember when my neighbor asked me if I had upgraded my uppipe on my car...those rex drivers...they are in their own little world. [;)]

boostedfun
12-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Happened to my car. Just rewelded the cat=free. Car ran for about 15 seconds after the inlet flange broke and melted a lot of things including the engine harness, coolant temp sensor and housing, battery cables, fuel lines, break booster line, boost guage line, etc... Had a hook up at a junk yard and replaced everything for about $200. So drive it at your own risk.

CaSp3r9
12-05-2005, 09:04 PM
are you a subie guy? because you said "uppipe"

haha, geeboyjibber -- yeah... I'm somewhat of a sucker for a cool subie, alot of my friends drive them, they've got me hooked! But I'm still in love with Audi's - that will never change!!! [:D] [a4]

Oh yeah... so I took my car in today and they said they cant reweld the cat becuase it's got an iron flange and they cant weld iron back together, so I have to get a whole new catalytic converter! I'm thinking about going with a high flow cat, but I haven't heard lots of good things about them. I've heard they tend to cause alot of problems with other engine components.... I don't exactly have the money to go on fixing everything that breaks on my A4 - (I'm a 17 year old senior in highschool). My dad does though, and he pays for the maintanence on my car, which is more than I could ever ask for. I try my best to make sure everything is always in good working condition and properly cared for, but shit happens. I feel bad that he has to pay for all of this stuff... first it was my ignition module, then my MAF sensor, now this.... and I need a new clutch and upper ball joints and tie rod ends...[:(]
I need a job... I feel bad that he gets stuck footing the bills on all of this stuff even though he does it willingly.

Thanks again for all of your guys' help with my problemo.

Eurotuned_A4
12-05-2005, 09:19 PM
it happened to my car and i just got it welded back in....so you can weld it back together. they are idiots and are trying to rip you off.

CaSp3r9
12-05-2005, 10:40 PM
hhhmmmm.... yeah, I'll have to talk to Jeremy down at Matrix Integrated about it... I mentioned to him that I was told it wasn't repairable and he sounded kind of surprised. We'll see.
And I'm sure the retards down there at exhaust specialties WERE trying to rip me off. They were really shady guys, they probably figured hey... It's a 17 year old kid driving around an Audi A4, let's rip him off for $550 for a new cat!
Sons of bitches....
hahah
They told me because the flange is made out of iron, it's not possible to weld back together.

How did they go about welding your cat back together? Did they do a thick bead on the inside then tack it back together on the outside? Where did you have it done?

Eurotuned_A4
12-05-2005, 11:04 PM
well, my good friends dad is a auto mechanic on the side and he did it for me. im not sure how he did it...the types of welds and stuff is unknown to me. i just know that its been that way for a while now and its fine. tell those guys at the exhaust place they should sell their business to someone who knows what they are doing because you can weld it back together. mine is proof, and im sure there are plenty others as well.

goldenchild
12-06-2005, 07:29 AM
pm me if u want a stock cat for a good price so u dont have to worry about welding bc most places wont do it unless its a performance shop

RedRocket
12-06-2005, 08:24 AM
happened to me. Got it welded at a shop. Lasted for two years, then got a high flow cat by Milltek, no CELs nothing, just faster spoolup and throatyer exhaust note, and a tad more top end.

boostedfun
12-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Ran a bead around the inside and outside making sure that it would not break again. Ground down the inside bead.