PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Car stumbles when giving it gas and idles poorly!

Davdraco1
12-17-2016, 02:41 PM
says it right in the title. i know these topics have been covered but i dont have time too rear thru everything. i checked the plugs, they are fine, just swapped back in 1.8t coils, took the 2.0t's out. ran fine for about a min then bacl to running poorley. at best it idles at 18.5 in vacuum. i know it should be 21 ish. i dont think there is a leak tho and i dont have my boost leak tester with me. and help is greatly appreciated!!!1

ActiveMonkey
12-17-2016, 02:54 PM
Sorry to say, but a Boost leak check is really the only way to go through it all. A broken accordion hose going from turbo to maf could cause a similar issue.

Davdraco1
12-17-2016, 02:58 PM
Sorry to say, but a Boost leak check is really the only way to go through it all. A broken accordion hose going from turbo to maf could cause a similar issue.

i have a new hose there i pulled on all the boost "pipes" and nothing is loose. been reading it could be a MAF. and ive had a boost leak and it just doesnt feeling like that. thanks though!

Davdraco1
12-17-2016, 03:30 PM
just unplugged the maf and it ran the same. worked for about a miles then back to no running right. i didnt get a check engine light either, which i thought i would.

Seerlah
12-17-2016, 07:25 PM
Sounds like misfires. Find out which cylinder(s) and address the reason why.

LA4
12-17-2016, 07:31 PM
says it right in the title. i know these topics have been covered but i dont have time too rear thru everything. i checked the plugs, they are fine, just swapped back in 1.8t coils, took the 2.0t's out. ran fine for about a min then bacl to running poorley. at best it idles at 18.5 in vacuum. i know it should be 21 ish. i dont think there is a leak tho and i dont have my boost leak tester with me. and help is greatly appreciated!!!1

Is this correct? I always thought 20 was right on. Mine is always 20-21. Perhaps it's just gauge inaccuracies.

Davdraco1
12-17-2016, 08:30 PM
Sounds like misfires. Find out which cylinder(s) and address the reason why.

If it was a miss fire wouldn't I get a code? And the car will be fine for a few mins of driving then it will start acting up. And LA4 my boost gauge is off by 1 psi. So 20 is probably where it should be. I have a new fuel filter I'm going to put in when I get back to the car in 2 weeks. Was supposed to drive it home and install my sport suspension and address an oil leak and coolant leak but they will have to wait now. Any other ideas are appreciated!

Seerlah
12-18-2016, 03:10 AM
You won't always get a cel or mil. Once it becomes harsh enough you will or should. Look into a misfire, since that is what you were working on.

Start with cylinder one and end on four, by the false firewall. Pull the ignition coil off the spark plug. If the car stumbles more, that cylinder is fine. Seat the ignition coil back onto the spark plug. The ignition coil you lift off the plug that makes no change to the engine idle is the problematic cylinder.

Davdraco1
12-18-2016, 07:18 AM
I'll defiant try that once I get home. I did switch out my new ish 2.0t could with 1.8t's that I never got rid of and no change occurred.

Davdraco1
01-01-2017, 10:51 PM
So got back to my car today. It started right up but would not idle and stalled. Did a boost leak and found 3 small ones and fixed them. Got the car to isles for about 10 mins until the coolant started to warm up. I haven't driven the car yet, but when it was idling, I gave it some gas and it seemed normal most of the time. But now it seems to pop and crackle more then it ever has. Might be doing a fuel filter tommorow.

- - - Updated - - -

So got back to my car today. It started right up but would not idle and stalled. Did a boost leak and found 3 small ones and fixed them. Got the car to idle for about 10 mins until the coolant started to warm up. I haven't driven the car yet, but when it was idling, I gave it some gas and it seemed normal most of the time. But now it seems to pop and crackle more then it ever has. Might be doing a fuel filter tommorow.

Davdraco1
01-02-2017, 08:40 AM
Unplugged the maf and drove it around the block a couple times. Had it up to 20psi and it did fine. But then it started hesitating again.

Davdraco1
01-04-2017, 12:10 PM
Got vcds lite installed and got it running. Car is misfiring on all cylinders and then it runs rich. The lambda percentage goes over -25%. Any ideas?

Believer
01-04-2017, 02:42 PM
Got vcds lite installed and got it running. Car is misfiring on all cylinders and then it runs rich. The lambda percentage goes over -25%. Any ideas?
What year is your car? Do you have an ICM?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Davdraco1
01-04-2017, 04:37 PM
01, no ICM

Believer
01-05-2017, 07:49 AM
01, no ICM

Ok, rules that out then. I didn't see it mentioned, did you retrieve any codes using VCDS?

Davdraco1
01-05-2017, 11:25 AM
I just got a code for a primary 02, but the engine light never illuminated. Just ordered a new Bosch, should have it Saturday. It would make sense that if its not reading lambda properly, reading rich, it would pull fuel, which is what it feels like its doing.

Believer
01-05-2017, 12:21 PM
I just got a code for a primary 02, but the engine light never illuminated. Just ordered a new Bosch, should have it Saturday. It would make sense that if its not reading lambda properly, reading rich, it would pull fuel, which is what it feels like its doing.

Let us know how you make out with the O2, sounds promising.

Davdraco1
01-05-2017, 03:42 PM
I was getting codes off and on for primary 02 all last year, I would reset the code and the car would drive fine untill last August. I replaced it with an UltraPower from Rockauto and it seemed to do the trick. The car does have launch control and I have done it a couple times. It's never done anything but maybe it's killing the sensor slowly? Who knows. Will report back Saturday.

michaellw
01-06-2017, 05:06 AM
If you have a catalytic converter I would get it check to some shop. It might have too much restriction.

Davdraco1
01-06-2017, 08:11 AM
It's gutted

Davdraco1
01-07-2017, 02:33 PM
Update! The 02 sensor seems to have fixed the issue. The bad one was pitch black and probably not reading correctly once everything warmed up.