PDA

View Full Version : So I got an oil change yesterday.....

owde_eh4
12-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Let me start by appologizing for not doing my own oil change..I realize that the majority of members here are mechanically inclined[wrench] but the only tool i own is a screw driver -enough said.
With that said I am appreciative of any advice you may offer. [hail]

So i get an oil change yesterday, I (correctly) insist on Mobil 1 0W-40, which the shop didn't have. They offered their "bulk" oil, which I'm sure they mopped up off the floor from previous spills but I insisted on the synthetic. They apparently called their supplier to deliver some, I never actually saw them arrive with the oil. The shop cleverly distracted me from watching the actual oil change and when returned I found my empty filter box next to a couple of Pennzoil 25w-50 bottles. I didn't see any other oil around.

I guess my first question would be, would there be any dire consequences of using this oil? And secondly, is there anyway of figuring out which oil was used?

Sorry for the lengthy post but it helped set the scene. Thanx

juju4uofa
12-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Some may disagree, but you'll be fine with the oil they used. However, I suggest buying your own oil and filter before the next change. I've only had my oil changed by someone else once and they charged a ridiculous amount for synthetic oil anyway.

ny02s4
12-04-2005, 02:56 PM
i just had my mechanic change my oil yesturday for only $15. Of course i supplied the Mobile1 5w30 oil and filter ($60) but atleast by bringing your own oil and ask for the empty bottles back you know they used the right stuff. Ive been going to my mechanic for a few years now along with my dad and brother with their Jeeps for regular services, so atleast i know i can trust the guy.

Ant

owde_eh4
12-04-2005, 03:08 PM
hey guys,

thnx for the replies, appreciated.

I did supply the oil filter but and usually provide them with the oil too but was kinda running late and figured that they would have it. [headbang]

Would anyone know of any differences in performance I should look out for with the pennzoil? thnx

bitterchild
12-04-2005, 04:21 PM
if they used 25w50 you'd have serious problems cranking then engine over.

SeanF
12-04-2005, 05:38 PM
did you pay them for synthetic? id be bitchin a hell of a fit if i payed for one thing and they put something else in...

owde_eh4
12-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Well, a friend referred me there and so he didn't charge me for the oil but I had no issue paying for the synthetic that I requested. Saying that I wasn't entirely sure if they did use the regular oil, thats why I wanted to know of any typical signs I should look out for. I guess that closing time was fast approaching and they were too lazy to order the synthetic. thnx for the feedback.

BarryT82
12-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by ny02s4
i just had my mechanic change my oil yesturday for only $15. Of course i supplied the Mobile1 5w30 oil and filter ($60) but atleast by bringing your own oil and ask for the empty bottles back you know they used the right stuff. Ive been going to my mechanic for a few years now along with my dad and brother with their Jeeps for regular services, so atleast i know i can trust the guy.

Ant

You paid $60 for oil and a filter?

Poopie
12-04-2005, 08:20 PM
oil and filter for me is $30. $21 for 5 quarts at walmart....except recently and katrina fucked me in the ass and don't supply the 5 quart jugs so i have to buy them individually at $5.50 a quart. Ok i'm a little overboard but the 5 quart jugs were so nice. hahha

LateraLex
12-05-2005, 08:40 AM
You need 5 quarts? 4 does it for me... (1.8t)

onemoremile
12-05-2005, 09:45 AM
a hurricane f'd poopie in the bootie?

you saw it here first folks.

owde_eh4
12-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by bitterchild
if they used 25w50 you'd have serious problems cranking then engine over.

are you sure? do you mean that I'd have difficulty starting the car? Is that what would happen with this oil?

http://www.pennzoil.com/products/motor_oil/racing_oil.html [headbang]

owde_eh4
12-16-2005, 12:35 AM
..just an update.

It just so happens that the shop where i got the oil change done didn't fit the filter properly causing all my oil to leak. After wasting 3L of oil to fill it up (as it leaked out) i had to get it towed, which cost me another $40. I guess that if you want something done right nowadays you gotta do it yourself[wrench]

Yuikio
12-16-2005, 07:38 AM
Yep...or go in the shop and watch the mechanic do the work.

BarryT82
12-16-2005, 04:21 PM
I'd go raise hell with them and get a refund

owde_eh4
12-16-2005, 07:46 PM
So I get the car towed to the guy that did my oil change and it just so happened that the Oil cooler was cracked. So coz of all the problems he has caused and my hell raising, he agrees to sort out the problem labour-free. He orders the part and quotes me approx CDN$140. So I (as advised by all you audizine members) call a buddy up who sells parts and he quotes me $60. Obviously, I point this out to the shop and he reluctantly agrees to offer me that price and then sorted out the filter seal and used the Mobil 1 I brought. Thanks for your help on this one guys!![up] [up] [up]

cbass
12-17-2005, 09:04 AM
glad that it all got sorted in the end. Hope it all works out in the future too.

I just wanted to comment on what others said about you being able to crank the engine with that other oil. It is a much thicker oil (the higher the number the thicker it is) and especially where you are, it will have a harder time flowing in the engine when it's cold.

Just for the sake of explanation, the first number in an oil weight is it's "cold" viscosity, or how it flows when it's cold. The second number is the "hot" viscosity, i.e. how it flows when it's hot.
So for example, if you get 0w40 and 15w40, they will both flow the same once they get warmed up, but the 15w40 would be harder to start in cold weather (this is bad). So, in the end it's a good thing that 25w50 leaked out because your pistons would have been going almost metal on metal for a few strokes at start up because the oil would be so thick from the cold weather up there.

CarterMarkham
12-17-2005, 09:19 AM
ahh, if its not synthetic , it doesnt touch my car.

owde_eh4
12-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Hey cbass, thnx for the tutorial [up]

It just so happened that they also cracked a hose with the installation and my car overheated the other night....got that resolved (yes, no charge) but now have the red engine temperature light chime/flash...anyone know how to reset that? Does it need to be taken to the dealer for that? I hate car problems.....thnx for the help[confused]

MyAudiA4
12-23-2005, 09:13 AM
Either you can Vag the car or disconnect the battery for a minute and then reconnect it. The light should reset itself after that.

itsallstock
12-23-2005, 09:41 AM
went to jiffy lube for oil change the first on my car and they overfilled it lost enginge tray clips witch are 7$ a pieice at dealer ,do it yourself before some dumb fuck destroys the engine how could some thing so easy be so harrd lack of education probally has somethin to do with it, dont trust no one to many shady peps out here

nizmosx
12-23-2005, 01:20 PM
i hate penzoil, wasnt it rated as one of the worst oils along with quaker state. or was that valvoline. hmmm

owde_eh4
01-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by MyAudiA4
Either you can Vag the car or disconnect the battery for a minute and then reconnect it. The light should reset itself after that.

Would you know how long it takes to VAG it? Should the dealership charge me for this? Yes, I am mechanically car challenged..thnx[wrench]

onemoremile
01-02-2006, 06:08 PM
get a pela oil extractor.

i pull into the garage and start sucking the oil out. while it's doing it's thing i change the plugs. then the filter. then refill it.
all with the tires firmly on the ground and the belly pan in place. it takes maybe 20-30 minutes in all.

LateraLex
01-02-2006, 07:03 PM
^^ Oh man you are spoiled!
[:p] [:p]
(jealous)

a4rings
02-04-2006, 01:38 PM
what oil do you guys in california get for your 1.8t's?

i searched but got a bunch of different suggestions, 0w40,5w40,15w40,10w50 and i dont know which one to use. thanks