PDA

View Full Version : 96 A4 has ABS right?

ImpalorA4
12-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Do i have ABS?

I break and the car skids majorly, like if i press a little harder the wheels lock up and i go skiddding. Im just wondering if there is anything i can check to make sure they work. The light on the dash isnt lighting up. Could the previous owner take out the fuse for the ABS? I need my ABS !!

AudiSnawb
12-04-2005, 01:32 PM
As far as I know the 96's come with ABS...........

NieFolgen
12-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Mine definately has it. I've had no problems with the wheels locking up. You said the light on the dash doesn't light up? Does it light up at startup, or not at all? It should light up at startup and then go off if there are no problems with the ABS.

ImpalorA4
12-04-2005, 09:55 PM
yeah it lights up during startup, but doesnt stay on for a very long time like a fraction of a second maybe. What can i check to make sure mine work, because yesturday they locked up in the snow like 10 times during the lightest breaking, and its scary going straigh onto a car, thank God for the manual and first gear lol.

If anyone knows anything please let me know. thanks

Brakes: Jump starting a dead battery, or charging the battery with more than 16 volts, may blow the fuse to the ABS system. (1996)

I did some reaserch and the problem above apeared to be common. COuld the previous owner have jumpstarted and blown a fuse. THe ABS fuse is in the fuse box next to the door right?

offroader1006
12-04-2005, 10:43 PM
yes, that would make the ABS system totally in-op.

you need to check the fuse first.