PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 into a 2.8 body, both 2001, please help-body plugs!

brendontaylor
12-15-2016, 09:07 AM
Hi there, new to the forum and happy to be here!
I have 2 2001 a4 b5.5 quattros, one is a 1.8 and the other a 2.8. Keeping the 2.8 body (ATQ engine code) because its in mint condition, and trying to put in an AWM 1.8t. Both cars have EXACTLY the same controls on the inside of the car, the only differences in the 2.8 in their entirety are: fully powered seats and a Bose speaker system... SO, my question is, being the same model year, having the exact same options in the cab, AND having the same layout in the fuse panel, wouldn't most of the wires in the body plugs (e-box case, plenum chamber plugs, etc.) be the same? As far as i can tell, there's one extra wire in the AWM harness than there is in the ATQ body plugs... I've seen a lot of write ups about the v8 swap into this car, and with a lot of luck it seems- my hopes are that this job is a simple switch of a few wires, and that someone has a concise layout of the difference between an AWM body plug setup and an ATQ body plug setup. Any insight is greatly appreciated, and thank you for your time.

rharris
12-18-2016, 08:34 AM
Are they manuals or autos?

b6Hate4
12-18-2016, 08:46 AM
99% sure the 1.8 will NOT be direct plug and play. However, the 2.7t and 4.2 from a 2000 belt driven A6 are...

Just sayin [:)]

brendontaylor
12-18-2016, 08:24 PM
They're both manuals... I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and switch out the interior wire harness- heater core clogged, so looks like I have to take out the dash anyway, so at that point it almost makes more sense... unless someone can give me a detailed diagram of the body plugs, because OBVIOUSLY I don't want to switch the harness if I don't have to.
I'm taking out the dash tomorrow (12/18) to retrieve the heater core that's good in the 1.8 body, so I estimate by 3 pm on Tuesday, I'll be starting the harness swap-if anyone can get me the diagram, you'll have until Tuesday afternoon lol- thanks again for any time you invest in my project!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87676)

rharris
12-20-2016, 01:26 AM
Grab the Bentley manual or find diagrams online. I swapped a 2.7t, manual trans, etc from an 01 S4 sedan into a NDBW 98 A4 2.8 AVANT automatic. You'll be ok.

brendontaylor
12-20-2016, 02:41 AM
Found the diagrams, have complete shop manual- it labels the wires, but I would have to scan over pages upon pages of wiring schematics just to figure out what wires go through each body plug- that's all I want, just a simple diagram of the body plugs and which wires are traveling through them.... The wiring diagrams I have, aren't too decisive about those body plug connections, I'm done pulling my hair out trying to figure out these damn plugs- then, there's always the chance that I mess up a wire or two and then spend the next two weeks trying to figure out where I messed up.... I think I will take my chances with removing the dash and swapping out the interior wiring harness

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87676)

brendontaylor
12-20-2016, 02:43 AM
I can't afford to waste anymore time trying to figure this stupid thing out, this is my daily driver and the clutch is almost completely burnt out of it, along with knocking and oil burning from the engine.

RENOxDECEPTION
12-20-2016, 10:12 AM
Direct swap, check your other thread.

spinnin_four
12-22-2016, 05:04 AM
99% sure the 1.8 will NOT be direct plug and play. However, the 2.7t and 4.2 from a 2000 belt driven A6 are...

Just sayin [:)]

i cannot comment on the 2.7 but the 4.2 is definitely not plug and play. there are wires that need moved around, regardless of 2000 or 2001 as both are different.