PDA

View Full Version : Is my power steering pump going out?

jbrentd
12-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Lately, I've started to hear a groaning sound when I turn at low speeds. Generally, it goes away after I am done turning. I can also feel it a little bit in the steering wheel. I suspect it's the ps pump. Any thoughts? Does it have anything to do with the fact that it's turning cold where I live? Any idea on how much most independent shops would charge?

If it matters, I have a 96 A4 QM with 168k.

nramsey
12-01-2005, 11:08 PM
I'd suspect tie rod ends or control arms before I suspected the PS pump/rack.

ooa4oo
12-02-2005, 04:43 AM
if it goes with the weather its most likely ps.check the fluid first. sometimes just a quick top off is all u need. if not then..=T

Quattrocket
12-02-2005, 10:44 AM
what you want to do is, crank the wheel all the way to the left or right and floor it. go in circles until you feel the pump give out. then you're pump is broken. at least thats how it happened to me. (showing off quattro in the snow)

biturbo hero
12-02-2005, 11:06 AM
deadheading a pump is any easy way to kill one !

check your fluid level. audi ps fluid evaporates.
some whine is normal under load.
if its dying, just hope it lasts long enough such that you can replace it when you do your waterpump/timing belt R&R

RedRocket
12-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Just like everyone said, check fluid.

And, if you have to top up, get the right stuff. Hydraulic fluid usually the dealer is the place for that.

Gundem
12-02-2005, 11:46 AM
i was gonna say some...but then i'd be repeating what everyone says in this thread.

jbrentd
12-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the input.

I checked the fluid level and it's half way between min and max. One thing I didn't mention was that the tone or pitch of the sound changes with speed also. For instance, when I am in 2nd and going around a corner and then accelerate, the whining groaning sound changes.

biturbo hero
12-02-2005, 01:05 PM
it should. conisder the load required to turn the wheels at1mph vs 15mph.

also sticky tires can add extra load to ps pump ( and TREs and wheel bearings, and brakes etc etc etc)

jbrentd
12-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Well, it turns out it did need fluid. Topped off the fluid and it sounds good. BTW, I have a small leak and the previous didn't use the correct ps fluid.