PDA

View Full Version : Modding a B5 A4 FWD?

B5 Gang
11-30-2016, 05:09 AM
Is it worth putting money into it even if it's FWD? I like the car but just not sure. Some insight maybe?

AudiSport12
11-30-2016, 06:19 AM
Absolutely if you like it and the FWD suits your driving necessities. What are you wanting to do with the car?

mysman
11-30-2016, 06:24 AM
I'd say the vast majority of modded VAG platforms are FWD. And in fact, Audi often runs FWD in their racing efforts.

A1 A2 German
11-30-2016, 08:01 AM
Yes, as a B5 is different and otherwise a rare setup.

For starters it has a longitude motor which all fwd should have and second has another rarity, 4-link quadralink virtual axis suspension. These cars do not share the characteristics of other fwd vehicles to the point Audi calls them Fronttrak, most likely to distance themselves from that "front wheel drive" term.

a4kamila6
11-30-2016, 08:06 AM
There was a member on here or audiworld with a built 1.8t fwd, made like 420ish wheel and was going for more.

MetalMan
11-30-2016, 08:14 AM
There are a few guys running FWD with bigger turbos.
I used to have a FrankenTurbo FWD, with fully-done suspension setup. It was a pretty nimble car and compared to my Quattro B5, its lesser weight was noticeable. It got better MPG too.

But FWD definitely can't beat Quattro's ability to accelerate out of corners...

Cactus Avant
11-30-2016, 08:28 AM
The guys above provided some good info. Personally, since I live in the northeast, quattro is the way to go for me. FWD is sometimes harder to find some parts for (sway bars, coilovers, etc), but when you do, I've noticed they are a little cheaper. Front wheel drive and quattro both have their benefits. I'd go with quattro, but like others said, it depends on what you are doing with it.

andyrew
11-30-2016, 11:03 AM
Apart from the fact that the B5 is a pretty heavy FWD chassis (Almost all of the "hatch" or 90's FWD cars are lighter) it does make for a good FWD platform as noted above.

If you want say 300hp I think that would be about max for the chassis on the street without just being a roll racer. The 5 speeds are not extremely strong like the quattro transmissions so when you start making serious power that becomes an issue.

It really depends on what you want out of the car.

There are enough quattro chassis in norcal for dirt that if you want to start building up a car you shouldnt have any issue grabbing one of those and swapping your nice parts if you wanted to do that.

B5 Gang
11-30-2016, 11:35 AM
Really great points made here, thanks to all. I live in Southern Cali so Quattro isn't necessity but a nice option. I think I'll be doing some mods and see if I want more later

kwnk
11-30-2016, 11:51 AM
I've daily driven my '01 FWD A4 for years now and its been very capable for what I need it for. Its my daily commute/work car (I'm a Field Tech) and prior to picking up the Avant its been up to Tahoe many times every year.

19birel
11-30-2016, 12:07 PM
If you enjoy driving the car, then go for it. I have a fwd VW Golf and It's a blast. My A4 is a Quattro and it's fun but in a different way I suppose, awd is nice to have but certainly not a necessity in my book. As long as your car is in good shape and you like it I see no reason not to mod it!

Mattr567
11-30-2016, 04:34 PM
My kind of thread!

Yea, if you like it I don't see a problem with it. It doesn't make the car 'magically' a POS or less of a B5 or something like some would like you to believe. I should know considering I have a fwd in socal as well [;)]

Parts are a bit harder to come by for sure, Quattro is better supported for things like exhaust systems and you have less choices for things like coilovers. It's not terrible by any means though.

Paul_4d
11-30-2016, 04:55 PM
Another socal guy here as well. My 2 cents is that the fwd isnt worth modding unless its some rare color when you can get a quattro car for so cheap nowadays. I had a fwd automatic and i sold it and bought a quattro manual trans car.

vwblackb5
11-30-2016, 05:03 PM
OP - Assuming a healthy manual B5, a few members have gone K04 + few bolts for an AEB which is good for 250 chp or 195-205 awhp / 210-215 fwhp in your case. Add coil overs and a rear anti sway bar, you got yourself a nimble DD that's peppy stoplight to stoplight that gets great fuel economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottydo
11-30-2016, 05:07 PM
I had a Fronttrak 01 a4 with a 3076 thing ran like a bat out of hell. But the torque steer on boost oh my oh my.

A1 A2 German
11-30-2016, 07:03 PM
I'm currently going full on built 2008cc stroker with all the goodies you can basically possibly do.

Should withstand ~900hp, while probably hover around ~550 tops (350hp was stupid quick). I'm going to be developing a dampener system to combat from end lift, being the main arch nemisis of all fwd cars. Front suspension expansion, compressing of the rear suspension (transfering weight from the front to back) is the worst possible case you can have.

You need the motor weight to continue holding/pinning the front tires down.

freekonwheelz1
12-02-2016, 10:07 AM
personally, i hate fwd. but if you just wanna have some highway fun or are wanting to do some roll racing or even go to the drag strip, fwd is never a bad option. for me to make 350 whp out of my awd b5 i would have to do a little bit more than for you to do the same. fwd transfers power from the motor to the ground more efficiently than others and being a longitudinal motor you have equal length axles which will give you substantially less torque steer. if all i did was roll racing or spirited highway driving then id be stupid not to go fwd. its a way easier platform too. no 2 piece driveshaft to convert, less axles to replace and maintain, no rear diff to fluid change or maintain. its all about what you do and what you have fun doing. i have a buddy with a 380 hp mk6 gti that loves his car and thoroughly enjoys driving it even being fwd. he also goes 60 miles plus a day to work and back and everything else. its just what you would like to do.

andyrew
12-05-2016, 07:43 AM
I'm currently going full on built 2008cc stroker with all the goodies you can basically possibly do.

Should withstand ~900hp, while probably hover around ~550 tops (350hp was stupid quick). I'm going to be developing a dampener system to combat from end lift, being the main arch nemisis of all fwd cars. Front suspension expansion, compressing of the rear suspension (transfering weight from the front to back) is the worst possible case you can have.

You need the motor weight to continue holding/pinning the front tires down.

What transmission are you using? The stock FWD transmission wont handle that much power, especially in 3rd.

AudiB5owner
12-05-2016, 02:50 PM
SoCal B5er checking in. I love my FWD Tiptronic (hater gonna hate). Fun car to drive. I've done many bolt-ons and content with how it runs and handles in the canyons.

A1 A2 German
12-05-2016, 04:03 PM
What transmission are you using? The stock FWD transmission wont handle that much power, especially in 3rd.

I have another oem on the side which I was going to have cryo treated. Heard of people rocking the 2.8 for gearing, may look into it yet not sure how strong they are.

B5 Gang
12-09-2016, 02:38 AM
Tbh the GTRS eliminator kit looks pretty sweet. This really is an addiction isn't it..

b5a4erik
12-11-2016, 03:11 PM
I drive a 1.8t fwd, I like it.

Worth it for the simplicity in some places, gas mileage, agility.

That's not to say Quattro wouldn't be appreciated in some places,

however for me Fronttrak's where it's at and I'm fine with that. Much love for my car [:p][up][drive]

b6Hate4
12-11-2016, 04:07 PM
Tbh the GTRS eliminator kit looks pretty sweet. This really is an addiction isn't it..

GTRS will satisfy you for like 3 months.

Then you'll want a 2871r, then a 3076r, then a precision 6262, or a 3582r on 93 + meth, or race gas....

Lol it's a slippery slope

vwblackb5
12-11-2016, 04:11 PM
GTRS will satisfy you for like 3 months.

Then you'll want a 2871r, then a 3076r, then a precision 6262, or a 3582r on 93 + meth, or race gas....

Lol it's a slippery slope

That's why you don't go past K04 because of torque steer lol.. then pick up a B8.5 S4 and go Stage 2 [:D]

b6Hate4
12-11-2016, 04:47 PM
That's why you don't go past K04 because of torque steer lol.. then pick up a B8.5 S4 and go Stage 2 [:D]

I can get down with that. Owning a B5 and a B8 really is the best of both worlds.

andyrew
12-12-2016, 07:24 AM

Torque steer on the big turbo cars is much less than the torque punchers like a K04 or similar because the boost ramp is smoother. This is common on most FWD cars :) The Frontrack has it extra nice because of the equal length CV joints.