PDA

View Full Version : why would a turbo not make boost

goldenchild
11-30-2005, 08:50 AM
ok i just put a new t3/t4 on and im gettin nothin above 0 psi. i have tried to unplug the maf doesnt do anything, plugged the n75 up w/o runing the hoses didnt work, tried reseting the ecu 3x didnt work, i have my secondary air pump hooked up, i do not have my dv rerouted(i really doubt that has anything to do with it), im runing a mbc and have adjusted that and nothin, its internally gated, im not gettin a check engine code but only if i disconnect the maf, i also dont have a small hose hooked up that went into the intake.

please any ideas would be really great thx

Neo1130
11-30-2005, 09:52 AM
What does that little hose to the intake run to? Maybe the wastegate? Try plugging it into where it's supposed to be...

goldenchild
11-30-2005, 10:01 AM
can u show me what ur talkin about bc im more than sure everything is hooked up right most of the pics are unfinished. i did however discover that mbc was jammed for some reason so i fixed that but if it was jammed it would still be makin boost right.

BranCKY3
11-30-2005, 12:01 PM
You can redline the car without it making any boost at all? Maybe there's a huge leak somewhere.

goldenchild
11-30-2005, 12:04 PM
well i never took it to redline bc im not gonna fuck my engine. i highly doubt there is a leak the only thing i think is that since i dont have the dv rerouted into the intake its leakin there under boost i dunno but i just got my atp anti stall bov in today and im gonna try that.

BranCKY3
11-30-2005, 12:05 PM
How high did you take it? Maybe it's just got pretty bad turbo lag. [:)]

94jedi
11-30-2005, 12:11 PM
maybe a wg problem? maybe that sucker is wide open all the time? I'm grabbing here...

k0mpresd
11-30-2005, 12:13 PM
being internally gated it should atleast make some boost...unless the wastegate is totally out of adjustment

sure you dont have a leak somewhere...??

the dv not being rerouted wont have anything to do w/ it

sounds like you think its a software problem and theres a 99.9% chance its a hardware problem, you cant depend on your ecu anymore to throw cel's for problems and to tell you whats wrong...problems w/ a big turbo car is on the owner/tuner to figure out whats wrong

how high did you rev the car and how much throttle did you give it?

and what do you mean by your mbc was jammed?

big turbo cars arent all walks in the parks all the time..there are problems that arise...and im sure you will have more before you get it running right, good luck [wrench]

94jedi
11-30-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by k0mpresd
being internally gated it should atleast make some boost...unless the wastegate is totally out of adjustment

sure you dont have a leak somewhere...??

the dv not being rerouted wont have anything to do w/ it

sounds like you think its a software problem and theres a 99.9% chance its a hardware problem, you cant depend on your ecu anymore to throw cel's for problems and to tell you whats wrong...problems w/ a big turbo car is on the owner/tuner to figure out whats wrong

how high did you rev the car and how much throttle did you give it?

and what do you mean by your mbc was jammed?

big turbo cars arent all walks in the parks all the time..there are problems that arise...and im sure you will have more before you get it running right, good luck [wrench]

that would have to be one helluva leak though right? I mean like a hose completely off or something....I dn't get the "MBC Jammed" diagnosis eaither, can you please elaborate on that?
oh and I'm sure you've mentioned it before but what year is your car and what s/w are you using? Upsolute was it?

k0mpresd
11-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by 94jedi
that would have to be one helluva leak though right? I mean like a hose completely off or something....I dn't get the "MBC Jammed" diagnosis eaither, can you please elaborate on that?
oh and I'm sure you've mentioned it before but what year is your car and what s/w are you using? Upsolute was it?
yea..hed have to have a hose completely blown off...ive had hoses part way off before and still manage to get ~5psi or so @ the manifold

01, awm, and he has upsolute i do believe

goldenchild
11-30-2005, 01:39 PM
ok i took the mbc off blew through it and adjusted it so that i could blow pressure threw it well i couldnt when it was all the way open so i took it apart and put it back together and it worked but of course that wasnt it i installed the atp anti bov that didnt solve anything. im runing mafless. called upsolute and told me to leave the n75 connected but not routed did that. im lost as to what is goin on. my guess is the actuator bc there is nothin else i can see. my friend is comin over from garret to look at so well see

k0mpresd
11-30-2005, 01:47 PM
did you really think you were just gonna be able to bolt everything on and go throw down some nice whp #'s w/o having some issues? come'on..dont lie [;)]

goldenchild
11-30-2005, 02:15 PM
ya pretty much..haha. well im not really laughin. lol. well my guess is down to 2 things and thats the compressor housin is leakin or my wastegate is fucked up. which means another tear down.[wrench] this wrench guy needs to have a mad face. im gonna try to get it fixed by the weekend if not fixed shes goin to dubworks

k0mpresd
11-30-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by goldenchild
ya pretty much..haha. well im not really laughin. lol. well my guess is down to 2 things and thats the compressor housin is leakin or my wastegate is fucked up. which means another tear down.[wrench] this wrench guy needs to have a mad face. im gonna try to get it fixed by the weekend if not fixed shes goin to dubworks
how exactly would your compressor housing be leaking???

goldenchild
11-30-2005, 03:09 PM
bc it seems one of the bolts stripped out......i dunno seriously its prob gonna be headed to dubworks next wed and ill be drivin a n/a 1.8t lol

k0mpresd
11-30-2005, 04:25 PM
sounds like this is just the beginning...

marcini
11-30-2005, 04:46 PM
sounds like the wastgate is constantly open???perhaps???

bitterchild
11-30-2005, 05:36 PM
no offense but in shit up to your ears

stripped compressor housing bolts? I honestly don't know how you could do that.

When you say no boost how low does your vacuum get? what's your a/f ratio like? Is everything working other than the absence of boost pressure?

goldenchild
11-30-2005, 07:20 PM
ok i found what was happening. the wastegate arm was gettin hung up and stayin open like most people said. that was that problem fixed now the second one. when i do a first gear pull it will hit 7 psi, 2 gear pull it will hit 5 and the boost needle was bouncing very fast and eventually get to 10, 3rd its bouncing quickly again but once u hit 4-5k the car just launchs to 17 psi and pulls extremely hard. now i did this with 2 types of dv one was a dahlback open atmosphere and a atp anti stall dv/bov. it seemed they both worked the same but the dahlback helped the best but yet the prob still happened.

k0mpresd
11-30-2005, 07:49 PM
what exactly was the wastegate arm getting hung up on?

it stays closed and then blows open when it sees a certain amount of boost pressure and regulates boost...how exactly was it staying open all the time to not allow boost to build..??

94jedi
11-30-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by 94jedi
maybe a wg problem? maybe that sucker is wide open all the time? I'm grabbing here...

damn, I should pat myself on the back, I wasn't that far off[:D]

goldenchild
11-30-2005, 08:38 PM
bc of the placemet of the turbo and ic piping i had to have the wastegate facing the opposite side the turbo faces the engine. so that made the actuator arm go diag across the bottom of the turbo and when it opened the rumbed over a high spot and would get caught there i i re adjusted it

Wholsea
12-01-2005, 11:29 AM
ok i found what was happening. the wastegate arm was gettin hung up and stayin open like most people said. that was that problem fixed now the second one. when i do a first gear pull it will hit 7 psi, 2 gear pull it will hit 5 and the boost needle was bouncing very fast and eventually get to 10, 3rd its bouncing quickly again but once u hit 4-5k the car just launchs to 17 psi and pulls extremely hard. now i did this with 2 types of dv one was a dahlback open atmosphere and a atp anti stall dv/bov. it seemed they both worked the same but the dahlback helped the best but yet the prob still happened.

I duno much about big turbo cars, but that's exactly what my car (stock turbo) did when my MAF took a crap...

Boost was completely unpredictable, would run low, spike high, no rhyme or reason to it...

RedRocket
12-01-2005, 11:39 AM
I don't know lots about BT cars, but I think you may have a wrong waster gate controller (boost controller) setup. I mean, what combination of MBC/N75 are you supposed to be using?

Also, try to listen for the turbo spool, if it's rhythm is parallel with the boost reading, it would be the boost controller acting up.

goldenchild
12-01-2005, 11:58 AM
its a hallman pro series. wholsea that means ur turbo is surging like mine. i took it to garret and took a guy out in it and hes sayin im tryin to push too much boost into to fast so its surging like a sob so im gonna drop a/r from 70 to either 60 or 50 if that doesnt help im also goin to get a 63 exhaust instead of a 48. the guy there said id be flowing 580 with the turbo i have now @ 20 psi so im glad he is lowerin the a/r to restrict it abit and he said with a 50 it will flow 480 @ 20 psi

k0mpresd
12-01-2005, 02:37 PM
i think next time you try to tackle a project of this sort you might want to do a touch more research...you even said yourself you thought you could just bolt everything on and be good to go w/ no issues..

sounds like you got yourself in waaaayyy over your head

and 480bhp w/ a 50 trim aint gonna happen

you really need to go hang out in the 1.8t forum on the tex for a while

goldenchild
12-01-2005, 03:21 PM
im just goin by what garret told me. i dont think im in over my head bc it will all come together i always think it should bolt on and go but most of the time it doesnt just like my k04 and other turboed cars ive had

k0mpresd
12-01-2005, 04:26 PM
owning a turbo car and actually working on a turbo car and understanding how things work and what makes things work are two totally different things....like asking what makes a turbo not make boost, if you understood how a turbo worked and how items on the car worked then you wouldnt be asking such ?'s..obviosuly it was a hardware issue and your first post made it sound like you thought it was something software related

i have learned a lot of things by working on my own car but i have learned most of them by troubleshooting and problem solving things that have risen..but i had fairly good understanding of how turbochargers and there systems worked before i ever touched my car and systems that i have either removed bypassed or changed in someway i made sure to know exactly how they worked before i touched them too

im just goin by what garret told me.
again, go hang out in the 1.8t forum and you will see the #'s youre talking about and the #'s ppl are actually getting on these motors are way off

bitterchild
12-01-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm with Ian. I'm glad yourself and others are filling the tuner wagon but you need to learn more or work with a tuner. Screwing up your own car is a good way to increase the learning curve though ;) I've done it many times. And yes, 50 trim is about 380-400bhp at 26psi. .48 or .63 are about the same, you're not going to hit the pressure differential w/ either housing.