PDA

View Full Version : Painting the lowers

infamous2.0
11-29-2005, 11:57 AM
im about to have one of my boys paint my M3 spoiler and all i have to do is get the paint and clearcoat for him to begin. i haven't gone to the stealership yet to find out what is the smallest amount (aside from touch up) they sell, but i figured i might as well go ahead and paint the lower bumpers while im at it. How much paint and clearcoat would you guys say i need?

infamous2.0
11-29-2005, 12:08 PM
oh nvm, just got off the phone with the stealership and they don't sell paint. they sell "spray paint" that supposedly matches the car color. has anyone here done this? i mean spray painting my car dosn't sound like something an Audi owner should be doing, if you know what i mean[:D] i'll do it on the spoiler, but i dunno about the bumpers. The guy said it's $20 for a standard size spray can + clear coat. So lemme know if you have done it and ur happy about it. [up]

juju4uofa
11-29-2005, 12:09 PM
I used a pint of paint for my lowers. A pint of paint plus a pint of thinner/reducer equals a quart of sprayble material. I got Dupont's basecoat/clearcoat and all of the material cost me between $100 and $150 (I already had some of the stuff)

juju4uofa
11-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Duponts spray paint is incredible however you can get it at Autozone. They have a book to look up your paint code (if you don't already know it) and they sell small spray cans of paint for about $5. They also sell the clearcoat. Personally I say use this. It's cheaper and looks fine. Be sure to apply several coats.

infamous2.0
11-29-2005, 12:15 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53505&highlight=painting+lowers

^^ thats real ghetto, he used newspapers [:D] thas cool though

yeah i dunno. about buying from autozone. It's a black car (Ebony Pearl Effect) anyway so maybe i should just leave it before i mess everything up.

joeya103
11-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by infamous2.0
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53505&highlight=painting+lowers

^^ thats real ghetto, he used newspapers [:D] thas cool though

yeah i dunno. about buying from autozone. It's a black car (Ebony Pearl Effect) anyway so maybe i should just leave it before i mess everything up.

I don't see how that's ghetto, you obviously wanna protect your car from overspray.

If you don't wanna be "ghetto", you should buy yourself real side skirts, lips/bumpers or what not. Otherwise, this is pretty much the gist of how a paint shop would do it.

;)

Those paints people mentioned above work (and look) great.

infamous2.0
11-29-2005, 12:46 PM
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2939frontpaper.JPG

i didn't mean the outcome was ghetto i said using newspapers was ghetto. bodyshops use some sort of plastic material.what he did to his car is exactly what i have in mind [up]

juju4uofa
11-29-2005, 12:53 PM
Newspaper is also permeable. Not good material for masking unless you use a whole lot. The paint they sell at the dealer is the same as the dupont. I fixed a large whole in my Jeep before i sold it; bondoed it sprayed it with Duponts spray paint, sanded the paint lines down and polished and you COULD NOT tell any difference.

diegomatrix
11-29-2005, 01:10 PM
i used garbage bag, works nice

and your car is black (ebony)... pleaaaaase... that's an easy color to spray.. because if you screw up, it's not as noticable. haha..

juju4uofa
11-29-2005, 01:12 PM
very true. I can almost guarantee you could use any black and would never tell the difference.

offroader1006
11-29-2005, 01:13 PM
DRAG DIVA!!!!!

AB18
11-29-2005, 01:24 PM
I am painting my lowers in the spring, using the good ole black spay paint.

infamous2.0
11-29-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by juju4uofa
very true. I can almost guarantee you could use any black and would never tell the difference.

really? i mean i guess you are right, but there is a.. i dunno how to say it... depth to the color, won't the spray paint look flat? some people who see the car in the daytime say it's a dark gray, others who have only seen it at night say it's black... maybe i'll buy a can and just try it out on a piece of plastic and see how it looks. if i like it, i'll do the bumpers, if not.. then to hell with it.

diegomatrix
11-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by infamous2.0
really? i mean i guess you are right, but there is a.. i dunno how to say it... depth to the color, won't the spray paint look flat? some people who see the car in the daytime say it's a dark gray, others who have only seen it at night say it's black... maybe i'll buy a can and just try it out on a piece of plastic and see how it looks. if i like it, i'll do the bumpers, if not.. then to hell with it.

it's a very very subtle difference....

i was painting my friend's car for him, and i realized that it was a different shade of black. I pointed it out to him with a very "sorry" look...and he was like "huh? where? where? i don't see it...."
even after i pointed it to him, he still didn't really see it.

if you don't know where it is, you won't even notice it. plus, when the car's dirty, you REALLY won't notice it..

flyinb501
11-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Nothing wrong with using newspaper. Thats what I used and it worked, and turned out great. And for paint, I used 4 of the large duplicolor cans.

juju4uofa
11-29-2005, 06:31 PM
I ment duplicolor not dupont. I did use Dupont, but the spray paint from Autozone is Duplicolor.

Trust me buy a can of your color from AutoZone you WILL NOT be able to tell the difference. Remember to clear coat it too. The only difference I've noticed is it doesn't feel as smooth as the rest of the car but who cares.

infamous2.0
11-29-2005, 07:49 PM
anything is smoother than the plastic that is on there now. as long as it looks the part. [up]

a4rings
11-29-2005, 09:30 PM
i hear the side skirts will begin to peal after a period of time if you paint them.

badassbaldie
11-29-2005, 09:43 PM
The front and rear lowers are painted on my A4 and they haven't peeled yet. They were done about 3 years ago by the previous owner. FYI

joeya103
11-29-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by a4rings
i hear the side skirts will begin to peal after a period of time if you paint them.

people always say that, but i haven't noticed a change from day one. maybe they half-assed it?

it's been about 1 1/2 years for me.

diegomatrix
11-29-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by a4rings

primer..

no primer = more likely to peel off...

infamous2.0
12-02-2005, 03:43 PM
Just came back from Autozone with 2 cans of spray paint and one clearcoat. They couldn't match any colors on the computer because they didn't even have my car color in their system, so i just eyeballed it and bought 2 cans of graphite paint. one is a little bit darker than the other. Im testing them out on pieces of plastic as i type this. then i will choose between those two the one that im gonna use on the car. i have also decided not to paint the lower bumpers, so im only going to paint the M3 wing. i will post pictures when it's all done [up]

offroader1006
12-02-2005, 04:23 PM
the lowers are already black, so choose a darker black, then spray coats until it darkens to match. the more clear the better itll look.