PDA

View Full Version : Thick white foam from coolant reservior

calbernieye
11-07-2016, 08:23 PM
Searched vwvortex audi world here and google just get brown/black sludge foam. Did some work sunday replaced faulty rear cts removed cat replaced with test pipe/ 90 degree angle on second bung installed a bosch boost gauge( which is kind of loud) and realized my rear coolant flange is leaking now this shit any ideas? Btw the car did overheat to the 3/4 mark but was shut off after

kwnk
11-07-2016, 09:43 PM
Does the coolant look milky? Sounds like it could be a head gasket failure and the coolant and oil mixed. Can you check the oil to see if it's the same as what's in the coolant reservoir?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87676)

xdewaynex
11-08-2016, 12:10 AM
I would almost bet your oil cooler o ring blew and allowed oil into the coolant. This happened to me about a year ago. I freaked out thinking it was a headgasket, but a lot of people assured me it was the o ring gasket. Might as well go ahead and change the oil cooler as well for added security.

pkfinn
11-09-2016, 08:15 AM
I don't think the cooler o-ring keeps the coolant and oil separated. You'd just get an external oil leak if the o-ring went bad. But the cooler could be leaking internally.

xdewaynex
11-09-2016, 08:48 AM
Yea youre right, it was late when I posted that.

calbernieye
11-09-2016, 09:20 AM
Yea youre right, it was late when I posted that.

Thanks for the help talked to someone at ecs and they said it was the cooler gonna take a wild stab here but since i drove the car in limp mode with a seriously clogged cat maybe i destroyed the oil cooler? Idk gotta fix this leak first... Waiting on my package

calbernieye
11-09-2016, 09:32 AM
Does the coolant look milky? Sounds like it could be a head gasket failure and the coolant and oil mixed. Can you check the oil to see if it's the same as what's in the coolant reservoir?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87676)

Oil is good under side to oil cap is good no white residue i changed the vcg 2 months ago along with spark plug gasket and oil cap gasket no external oil leaks so far besides the cracked dipstick holder