PDA

View Full Version : Ecs rs4 clutch kit, how much hp?

zandrew
10-30-2016, 02:53 PM
I am thinking about this turbo upgrade, how much hp can they realistically hold?

Davdraco1
10-30-2016, 03:37 PM
Weren't the rs4 350tq? You should make more then that on an efr.

zandrew
10-30-2016, 04:17 PM
I might be selling the efr and going gt3071r instead. I have run garrett turbos for awhile and never had an issue plus they have excellent exchange program.

The rs4 was rated 350tq but I have seen some dyno at 450 whp that I think are running factory clutches. I say that because they do not list clutch upgrade at all and never mention opening the engine.

Davdraco1
10-30-2016, 06:47 PM
Well shit. I didn't know they were holding that much. I had one on my tuned 1.8t but I blew the pressure plate apart, among other thing. one night at the drag trip. Are they launching with them? And I know they are hard to find, I saw one on Rockauto when I blew mine up and never bought it, I have yet to see one on their again. And when I drove with it, it grabbed right at the floor, my S4 clutch grabs midway, just FYI.

Edit: Just saw on USP's website that people are pushing 420 hp with no issues.

redline380
10-31-2016, 05:30 AM
My LUK S4 clutch holds 2871r power just fine, at around 23psi. I believe the S4 disc is the same as the RS4 disc, but the RS4 PP is stronger.

I love using a factory clutch. I think it is the best possible solution if you are around that kind of power. So yeah, I would try running that RS4 kit on a smaller EFR. You may want to consider either modifying the flywheel to run a B7 RS4 clutch, or I believe JHM has a flywheel out that hooks up to the B7 RS4 clutch. That one will hold the power for sure.

Davdraco1
10-31-2016, 06:00 AM
I read a little on it last night and people are using rs4 PP with like a stage 3 disk and it's working well.

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-31-2016, 08:16 AM
The RS4 pressure plate should hold the power you plan to make but the disc may not like it especially if you beat on it ( dragging or hard launches). For street purposes I think you would be fine and should last a while.

Jason

GOODBYNAAIR
11-02-2016, 04:38 PM
I try to avoid buying anything from ECS if I can! long story but got shafted by them many times!

PsorianoPre99A4
11-03-2016, 09:21 AM
I try to avoid buying anything from ECS if I can! long story but got shafted by them many times!

Explain how you got shafted. I've been going through them a bunch of times and so have my family. They are great with customer service and returns are a breeze. Not to mention they are now offering free shipping for orders over $25. Additionally they have almost everything you'll ever need performance and regular maintenance wise. I also believe some Audi dealers price match their prices.

- - - Updated - - -

Explain how you got shafted. I've been going through them a bunch of times and so have my family. They are great with customer service and returns are a breeze. Not to mention they are now offering free shipping for orders over $25. Additionally they have almost everything you'll ever need performance and regular maintenance wise. I also believe some Audi dealers price match their prices.

I also have this clutch and its been great on my stage 3 f21

zandrew
11-03-2016, 06:40 PM
I had a shop pull my engine and went to pick it up today, I was pleasantly surprised to see a clutchmaster 240mm flywheel and a stage 4 pressure plate. I am glad I did not buy a clutch setup yet, can't wait to see what clutch disc I have. I am wondering what clutch discs I can use, b7 rs, B5 rs4, s4?

tar
11-03-2016, 06:55 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I also have this clutch and its been great on my stage 3 f21

They get stuff wrong more often than not. Or just leave items out of orders.

Ya they eventually fix the issues if you bitch enough but alot of the time its annoying to add xtra downtime to a project. And ya they free ship now but they were serial rapists for years on shipping. There's a reason alot of us go elsewhere when possible for items its not for no reason. Lets not derail this thread anymore.

And nice Op it sounds like it might be a ringer racing kit. Just curious how you didn't know what clutch setup you had?

If its cm 240 u can use a4 clutch disks like clutchmasters or similar sell fx3-400 would be good for your power goals.

The 240 fw isn't setup for s4 or rs4 disks hense the special fw ecs offers to adapt those disks.

tar
11-03-2016, 07:01 PM
http://ringer-racing.com/product.sc;jsessionid=F2879C856A316E1478FBE883F754 B075.p3plqscsfapp001?productId=499&categoryId=4

I run a ringer 240mm stage 4.

zandrew
11-03-2016, 07:47 PM
They get stuff wrong more often than not. Or just leave items out of orders.

Ya they eventually fix the issues if you bitch enough but alot of the time its annoying to add xtra downtime to a project. And ya they free ship now but they were serial rapists for years on shipping. There's a reason alot of us go elsewhere when possible for items its not for no reason. Lets not derail this thread anymore.

And nice Op it sounds like it might be a ringer racing kit. Just curious how you didn't know what clutch setup you had?

If its cm 240 u can use a4 clutch disks like clutchmasters or similar sell fx3-400 would be good for your power goals.

The 240 fw isn't setup for s4 or rs4 disks hense the special fw ecs offers to adapt those disks.

I bought this car back in January and the heater core busted allowing coolant to leak out and blew the hg. When I bought the car I noticed when I drove the car from a stand still the clutch felt like it was slipping but once it bit off I would go. The car came with a AWE gt28R kit so a stage 4 would be overkill. It's a 2001 and it's obvious the engine has been out since it has the upgraded clutch and also an aeb head.

S4 clutches are 240mm. If I search the pp number it's for a s4, not an a4.

Davdraco1
11-03-2016, 07:54 PM
You could get another S4 clutch kit and call it a day. Rock auto has them for 130$ ish and it's the same kit ECS sells for 400$ or something like that.

tar
11-03-2016, 07:58 PM
Then it might be a s4 disk. I guess I'm wrong i was always under impression the a4 cm 240 fw was different than the s4 one.

zandrew
11-04-2016, 03:51 AM
I am going to call them and verify what it is. As far as the s4, I don't think it will hold what I plan on making.

genecan
11-04-2016, 05:51 AM
Go with RS4 - B5 or B7. I'd go B7, but you need a flywheel to mate. JHM or TTV, avoid aluminum. Or stay CM and get a replacement set if yours is blown.

MetalMan
11-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Go with RS4 - B5 or B7. I'd go B7, but you need a flywheel to mate. JHM or TTV, avoid aluminum. Or stay CM and get a replacement set if yours is blown.

There is no specific FW for the B7 RS4 clutch kit for the B5 1.8T other than JHM. TTV doesn't make one as of a year ago.
However, the ECS RA4 flywheel can be adapted for B7 RS4 clutch kit:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/682161-B7-RS4-pressure-plate-(clutch-disk-too-)-RA4-flywheel

Then it might be a s4 disk. I guess I'm wrong i was always under impression the a4 cm 240 fw was different than the s4 one.

I'm under the same impression too.

genecan
11-04-2016, 09:34 AM
There is no specific FW for the B7 RS4 clutch kit for the B5 1.8T other than JHM. TTV doesn't make one as of a year ago.

This is not true:

Ben Crisp <ben@ttvracing.com>
Aug 17

to me
Hi it would be 298 with delivery to the B5 clutch type and 354 delivered for the B7 clutch version.

Kind Regards
Ben Crisp

ttvflwheellogo
TTV Industrial Ltd
(Big Green Building
Next door to The Paddocks)
Old London Road
Copdock
Ipswich
Suffolk
IP8 3JF
UK

See the date? the discussion continues to October.

MetalMan
11-04-2016, 10:38 AM
This is not true:

Ben Crisp <ben@ttvracing.com>
Aug 17

to me
Hi it would be 298 with delivery to the B5 clutch type and 354 delivered for the B7 clutch version.

Kind Regards
Ben Crisp

ttvflwheellogo
TTV Industrial Ltd
(Big Green Building
Next door to The Paddocks)
Old London Road
Copdock
Ipswich
Suffolk
IP8 3JF
UK

See the date? the discussion continues to October.

I qualified my statement by saying "as of a year ago". In other words, a year ago I asked TTV if they had a flywheel which would adapt a B7 RS4 (or B5 S4/RS4) clutch to the 1.8T, and Ben said they did not. He mentioned they were working on their own 240mm clutch setup for the 1.8T.

So if TTV now has something which works for the 1.8T + B7 RS4 clutch kit, that is great. They don't list it on their website though.

But I do see TTV has a flywheel for the 1.8T to use B5 S4/RS4 clutches!
http://ttvracing.com/product/audi-a4-1-8t-b5-s4-b5-clutch/?referrer=product-listing&iframe=true&width=80%&height=100%&type=flywheels&engine=audi-1-8-20v-turbo&manufacturer=audi
That should be a direct compatible replacement for the ECS Tuning RA4 flywheel...

Avant Nate
11-04-2016, 03:24 PM
Can't you run any b5 s4 clutch with the clutchmaster's flywheel? Including cm, oem, rs4, etc. Same goes with the RA4 flywheel? I figure if you can run an s4, rs4, or CM clutch on an RA4, shouldn't that apply to the CM flywheel as well?

MetalMan
11-04-2016, 03:38 PM
Can't you run any b5 s4 clutch with the clutchmaster's flywheel? Including cm, oem, rs4, etc. Same goes with the RA4 flywheel? I figure if you can run an s4, rs4, or CM clutch on an RA4, shouldn't that apply to the CM flywheel as well?

Without having first-hand knowledge, I wouldn't make that assumption. The stack height (among other things) could be different compared to a B5 S4/RS4 clutch setup.