PDA

View Full Version : boosting question, stock boost problem?

spiff
11-27-2005, 10:25 PM
So just got my dad's B5 A4 Wagon, and its sweet, tiptronic:(, but still moves and its nice to not have a leased car anymore, cuz miles/month suck ass.
anywho..
my dad has VDO boost gauge installed..and stock boost i believe is 13.9psi?
anyways, he had the car chipped by neuspeed in 01..when it was chipped, he had the engine chipped without adjusting the boost pressure, so like an normal n/a car, the boost stayed the same, but runs more HP.
now my question is..
sometimes the boost gauge shows just 6-7psi when i put my foot down..and was wondering what might be causing that..

any info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks again
_Dan

EVIL-AUDI
11-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Stock boost is not in the 13's. More like 8-10. If your boost is that low now, you may be in Limp mode. Normally only 5psi. Does the car feel any different? Any CEL's? I'm not sure what you are talking about when it comes to that chip

BranCKY3
11-27-2005, 10:42 PM
What year is it?

EVIL-AUDI
11-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Profile says this "2000 Audi S4 1.8T Avant "

Think we have a problem

diegomatrix
11-27-2005, 10:55 PM
lol... that's funny..

AElucky83
11-28-2005, 12:00 AM
i think the chip he has is the 1.0 bar from Neuspeed and hes new to the audis so he doesnt know much about them...and it could be a leaky DV, like Evil said limp mode, or a vacum leak to the boost gauge....

diegomatrix
11-28-2005, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by AElucky83
hes new to the audis so he doesnt know much about them

exactly.. that's why i didn't flame him..

waiting for him to give us more info so that we can help him better....

AElucky83
11-28-2005, 12:22 AM
yeah i send him a message and asked him to describe further how the car is acting...and warned him to change his desription of the car..or il burn him haha

BranCKY3
11-28-2005, 01:33 AM
AElucky83 I think your PM box is full. Please update me on the fogs after you clean it out.

[/threadjack]

spiff
11-28-2005, 10:37 AM
shit why does my profile say S4..my bad, must've been a typo, thats my bad.sorry if that upset some of you, please dont think i'm a noob, lol..cuzi'm not at all one, i'm huge person in the BMW scene, and now i'm in the audi scene, but still know enough to get by as not a nub..lol
anyways, i think my dad's info on the boost was off, so thanks for clearing that up, when he said 13.9 it didnt sound right, so i think everything is right where it should be.

i appreciate the info you guys shared, i'll be sure to fix my profile(damn keyboard)

p.s.
please dun think i'm a noob, i've educated myself enough in the entire audi scene to not be one, and sorry if that sounds weird or arrogant or anything..but yeah..typo in the profile, my bad.(i know the S4 is a 6 cyl bi-turbo, and defiintely isnt a 1.8t, hehe.)

buck
11-28-2005, 11:02 AM
relax

EVIL-AUDI
11-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Yeah, you just typed it in wrong, but you are a noob. Accepting that is the first step.

diegomatrix
11-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by EVIL-AUDI
Yeah, you just typed it in wrong, but you are a noob. Accepting that is the first step.

hahaha...

how mean.. lol..
[:D]

BranCKY3
11-28-2005, 12:18 PM
The first step is to admit you have a problem. The second step is to get rid of that Nospeed chip.

spiff
11-28-2005, 05:16 PM
i'll admit i'm a noob when someone volunteers to sponsor me for a b5 s4 wagon purchase in manual with 10k$ for play money.lol

also..this is very weird, the boost gauge is now showing 13 psi when i step on it..so i dunno what that whole deal is..so either my dad is right, or the gauge is reading it wrong.

also, for some backround info on the car, the car's check engine light comes on atleast once a day, and we've had the car checked out tons of times, and nothing is wrong with it..
reason i'm telling you this is after the engine light comes on, thats when the car goes back to 6psi..my dad thought that it was going back to a factory setting or some such thing..

any insight?
(so now i'm assuming that the chip he got did mess with the boost, clearly)

mike-2ptzero
11-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Well you need to get a VAG so you can scan for the codes it is throwing when the CEL comes on. Sounds like your going into limp mode when this happens which is why you only see about 6psi after.

Without the codes your really in the dark.

You can also run to the auto store and have them pull the codes. Then just post them here and we can tell you what they are or show you where to look them up.

R-Dub
11-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Sounds like it could be limp.

Get an ODBII or VAG-COM to get the clean picture on whats going on.

spiff
11-28-2005, 05:43 PM
alright thanks guys, appreciate it once again.