PDA

View Full Version : Let's play guess that mod!!!

94jedi
11-27-2005, 07:57 PM
can you guys guess what this is?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/94jedi/DSC02246.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/94jedi/DSC02245.jpg

and a few more in case you need help:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/94jedi/DSC02247.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/94jedi/DSC02248.jpg

diegomatrix
11-27-2005, 08:00 PM
subwoofer box?

shreddervai
11-27-2005, 08:01 PM
phatbox ya phatass

94jedi
11-27-2005, 08:05 PM
damn! I underestimated you guys! haha!!

Ok, yeah, all joking aside it's a sw box....custom to fit in the cubby on the driver side of the trunk. Plus threw in 2 amps (low power >300 watts rms total) and components up front and coaxes in the rear. I kept the stock hu because I love the factory look in our cars. I hope to have some finished pics by the end of the week. It looks like a jungle in there right now. Plus one of the amps has some wicked engine whine....I think it's because the amp chassis is touching the metal part of the rear deck which I also used as a ground.

SeanF
11-27-2005, 08:37 PM
300w rms total? going conservative eh?

i dont know why people assume more power = better, its not the case

im running 400wrms + whatever the stock speakers get and it sounds great...

what kind of sub?

you can try better grounds, keep the power wires away from RCAs, and if they cross, cross them in a + way... keep contact to a minimum... to get rid of the whine... the chassis of the amp is a ground, so if its touching metal thats ok...

scooter44
11-27-2005, 08:44 PM
How hard is that fiberglass stuff?

Skippster86
11-27-2005, 08:45 PM
its...hard.

Like solid hard. And hard to work with if you are a rookie.

offroader1006
11-27-2005, 09:06 PM
how much faster does it make your car?

Scuba06Steve
11-27-2005, 09:09 PM
interesting place to mount the amps, i put mine behind my seats. yeah i woudl like to know what kinda sub u have.

i chanegd my headunit and there is the ugly plastic around it, i really wanna know where i could get a better looking peice of plastic or if there is some way i could mold the plastics together and make them smooth...

greenz
11-27-2005, 10:34 PM
anybody know what the depth of the cubby is? I was looking at my friend's alpine type R 12" and it doesn't look like it would fit.

94jedi
11-28-2005, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by scooter44
How hard is that fiberglass stuff?

well, I've only done 1 layer so far and that's just to get the shape. I'll be doing about 7-9 layers of glass to make it extra rigid. It's very hard. I should be able to stand on it by the time I'm done. That's about 190 #'s.

for those asking, it's a 10" Kicker competition sub. I'll get a pic of it tonight. It's last years model I think, I got it for about $35 shipped brand new from millionbuy.com

yeah, the 2 ch. amp is rated at 150x1 bridged @ 4ohms. That will run the sub. The 4 ch amp is rated at 35x4, that will run the Infinity Components and Alpine coaxes.

Offroader- yes, it makes my car very fast[:D] ok not really but I just couldn't deal with the stock system. it sounded like chit and most of the speakers were blown. Believe me, I'm a go before show guy but I had to make a concession here. That's why I'm making the sub box out of fiberglass and only using 1 10".

The fiberglass is very messy to work with. I used to use it alot about 9 years ago or so when I used to install for a living. I hadn't used it since then but once I got into the swing of things again it was pretty easy. The trick is adding the right amount of MEKP(hardener) for the amount of resin adn temperature. Add to much and the stuff gels on you in minutes, too little and it will take a day to dry. Prep is also important, having your strips of mat cut before hand is key. I made that mistake yesterday lol!

94jedi
11-28-2005, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by greenz
anybody know what the depth of the cubby is? I was looking at my friend's alpine type R 12" and it doesn't look like it would fit.

on my 98.5, I could easily fit a 12" in there. remember that with a f/g box, you can position the sub however you want in there. you can have it stick out a bit if you like.

LateraLex
11-28-2005, 07:21 AM
Nice.... I have to get around to trying fiberglass this spring.

[up]

onemoremile
11-28-2005, 07:29 AM
fiberglass is a piece of cake. it's just like paper mache in elementary school.

skip the cheap home depot crap and get West System resin, hardener, and pump set from a marine supply store. it is well worth the extra coin. less messy, easier to use, and much higher quality.

if you do a nice job you should only need about .25 - .375" thickness. that would be about 8-10 layers. any thinner and the panels will resonate.

94jedi
11-28-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by onemoremile
fiberglass is a piece of cake. it's just like paper mache in elementary school.

skip the cheap home depot crap and get West System resin, hardener, and pump set from a marine supply store. it is well worth the extra coin. less messy, easier to use, and much higher quality.

if you do a nice job you should only need about .25 - .375" thickness. that would be about 8-10 layers. any thinner and the panels will resonate.

yeah, I think 9 layers will do it. The home depot stuff isn't that bad although it does have a tendency to get air bubbles in it. maybe the good stuff doesn't? Ah well, I just get the air bubbles out as best I can.

Starting
11-28-2005, 09:28 AM
From my experience the home depot fiberglass has never hardened right for me even with the right amount of harderner. I buy from select products in flordia and they sell really good stuff. I have never once had a problem with it. What I did to make my box where that cubby hole was was that I made a mold out of expanded foam first because it is such a pain while glassing in the car. The problem with the box I made was that it was too big. I am going to start over in the spring and do another one and it should be pretty simpe to do. I had maybe 6 layers of glass down and was able to jump up and down on it without it cracking.

ny02s4
11-28-2005, 04:56 PM
you might wanna isolate the amps by installing a piece of 1/4" MDF to the underside of the deck lid then mounting the amps to that....[;)] should get rid of that engine whine.

Ant

ExpLlclT
11-28-2005, 05:02 PM
thats asome im so cheap i jus made my own box but your pro outa fiber glass n all wow im impressed

BzeB5A4
11-28-2005, 09:34 PM
That looks nice, wish I could make something like that

94jedi
11-29-2005, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by ny02s4
you might wanna isolate the amps by installing a piece of 1/4" MDF to the underside of the deck lid then mounting the amps to that....[;)] should get rid of that engine whine.

Ant

yep, I'm gonna do exaclty that. I think I just may run some small 1/4" spacer at each of the 4 corners though so there is still some air space between the amps and the rear deck. now that I look back it's probably not good for airflow/cooling purposes to butt the amps right next to the metal rear deck.

thanks for the comments guys....it's not done yet but I'll post some progress pics shortly. FG really isn't that difficult to work with. Just gotta be diligent and patient.

yusoslo
11-29-2005, 06:52 AM
yeah I was also wondering if they make a better plastic surround. I have a very nice eclipse headunit and it could look better in there if I had a nicer din adapter.
who makes one???

LateraLex
11-29-2005, 06:57 AM
Haha jedi nice sig.

94jedi
11-29-2005, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by yusoslo
yeah I was also wondering if they make a better plastic surround. I have a very nice eclipse headunit and it could look better in there if I had a nicer din adapter.
who makes one???

you can make one...it's not hard at all...just start playing around with bondo, fiberglass, and some resin.

sumpsfast
11-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Infinity components are unbelievable. I had heard all this hoopla about MB Quarts, so I bought some Premiums last year. After a year of disgust, I just put in the new Infinity Kappa's, and they are sooooo great. I had kappas in my old GTI and Rodeo as well. I will never buy anything else.

As far as mounting the amps up there, arent you worried about overheating? There is really no where for the hot exhaust air to go except back into the unit. Anways, GL on the install!

94jedi
11-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by sumpsfast
Infinity components are unbelievable. I had heard all this hoopla about MB Quarts, so I bought some Premiums last year. After a year of disgust, I just put in the new Infinity Kappa's, and they are sooooo great. I had kappas in my old GTI and Rodeo as well. I will never buy anything else.

As far as mounting the amps up there, arent you worried about overheating? There is really no where for the hot exhaust air to go except back into the unit. Anways, GL on the install!

yeah, heat is a concern although I won't be pushing the amps too hard. I'm a computer nerd by trade so maybe I'll wire up some computer chassis fans in a push/pull config to blow over the fins of the heatsinks....I dunno, this started as a cheap upgrade I just wanted for better sound...now it's morphing into a big thing...I'm even considering an EQ because the SQ from factory h/u sucks.

Poopie
11-29-2005, 10:15 PM
I wanna try that. How much did materials cost you for the sub box? Whats the displacement?

TwentyValveB5
11-30-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by 94jedi
yep, I'm gonna do exaclty that. I think I just may run some small 1/4" spacer at each of the 4 corners though so there is still some air space between the amps and the rear deck. now that I look back it's probably not good for airflow/cooling purposes to butt the amps right next to the metal rear deck.

It's not good for cooling/airflow to have them upside-down, period.

cool box though :)

94jedi
11-30-2005, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by TwentyValveB5
It's not good for cooling/airflow to have them upside-down, period.

cool box though :)

yeah...I know..hindsight right? [:D] The amps are designed with the heat sinks on top so that when mounted the right way the heat rises and hits the heat sink and cools the unit. maybe need a fiberglass tray to hold the amps upright????[cool]

Materials cost me about $20 total...max...that's everything, resin, glass, brushes, etc....

As for displacement? who knows, I can't really measure that accurately right now. when I finish it up, I suppose I can fill it with water and see the interior volume.