PDA

View Full Version : Transmission troubles!

bruejones
10-20-2016, 08:41 AM
I reinstalled my automatic transmission into my A4 1.8t ATW after installing a new fluid pump and torque converter. It wouldn't work except it would clunk and go into failsafe and would only give me 4th gear and reverse. So I removed the transmission and bough a used one at Quality Used Transmissions on the web and spent $1400 on that. I installed that transmission and did the proper fill on the fluid and now it slips in all gears. I tried to contact these people about the 1 year warranty and now they said to honor the warranty a shop should have installed it. Azzhoes! I am about to lose it over this car! Any ideas for what I should do now? I have considered a manual transmission conversion or should I attempt to rebuild the transmission...I have 2 now! LOL! HELP!!!

redline380
10-20-2016, 08:43 AM
manual conversion. those 5hp trannys suck big time

shoguncito
10-20-2016, 12:41 PM
is the tcu ok, mine died and that was the fault

SN95Audi87
10-21-2016, 01:26 PM
I am currently getting mine rebuilt at 517 Transmissions. The trans seal blew in the summer and possibly could of messed up my forward clutches. I had two options, either run the risk of buying a used one for 1400+installation= 2600 and have the risk of it not working correctly, or get it freshly rebuilt with brand new clutches, refreshed VB, etc etc for around the same price installed. I went with option two. The car is my daily so I didn't feel like doing the manual conversion since I drive in congested areas everyday.

bruejones
10-21-2016, 01:46 PM
I tore down the first transmission yesterday and I found out a bearing had shattered and the pieces got caught in the space between the pump stator and the reverse drum so those components were seized up and got hot. I am going to go through the transmission and put in new parts and also clutches and steels and gaskets. Hopefully I can get this transmission working. I looked up the manual conversion but it is too hard to find all of the parts to do it and also you have to change the rearend ratio so no go on the manual it looks.

SN95Audi87
10-21-2016, 02:45 PM
I hear you, I looked it up as well and had the same conclusion. Just rebuild it from scratch if you can do it yourself..at least you will know that all the parts are brand new and up to spec for long service.

LA4
10-21-2016, 02:49 PM
I am currently getting mine rebuilt at 517 Transmissions. The trans seal blew in the summer and possibly could of messed up my forward clutches. I had two options, either run the risk of buying a used one for 1400+installation= 2600 and have the risk of it not working correctly, or get it freshly rebuilt with brand new clutches, refreshed VB, etc etc for around the same price installed. I went with option two. The car is my daily so I didn't feel like doing the manual conversion since I drive in congested areas everyday.

I agree that a rebuild is superior to a crapshoot of a used trans, but where the hell did you get a $1400 quote from? You can get a used auto tranny with a warranty for like ~$600.

Not knocking the decision to go with a rebuild (assuming manual swap is out of the question.) But for the sake of fairness, I would say swapping in a used trans is much cheaper.

SN95Audi87
10-21-2016, 02:58 PM
I agree that a rebuild is superior to a crapshoot of a used trans, but where the hell did you get a $1400 quote from? You can get a used auto tranny with a warranty for like ~$600.

Not knocking the decision to go with a rebuild (assuming manual swap is out of the question.) But for the sake of fairness, I would say swapping in a used trans is much cheaper.

I got the quote from performance shop that does dealership type services and performance upgrades. They did the hunting and found a used transmission for around that price that had around 100k miles on it with a 1 year warranty and it was the only one available in the area too so yeah you know what did next lol.

bruejones
10-21-2016, 03:00 PM
I found a ZF distributor in St. Louis that has good prices on new ZF parts so Im getting a new pump stator, bearing and reverse clutch drum from them for $150 new and I will get the rebuild kit from somewhere but Im still working on that[rolleyes].

cclarkb5
10-23-2016, 08:51 PM
There's a ZF parts distributor in CA too. Prices seem fair and the parts list is pretty extensive for the 5hps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk