PDA

View Full Version : 1.8T Oil leak diagnose

Quaality
10-17-2016, 09:32 PM
So finally getting work done on the car, all new control arms up front and just got the car ready to drive but figured since i need to still replace my wiper linkage and some air supply pieces I'd dive into my oil leak before winter (better now than when its snowing and cold). So, I recorded a video and have it up on this YouTube Link (https://youtu.be/MqoWM033hHo) and hopefully this helps with some diagnosing. I was originally thinking it was a valve cover gasket but as time went on its definitely something else. Some have suggested some cam seals or turbo lines leaking. Anyways, take a look at the video and let me know what I should do next, Thank you people for being awesome.

redline380
10-18-2016, 05:32 AM
valve cover gasket for sure, but that wouldnt cause the drips. It is probably coming from a pressure area. I would check out the oil supply line for the turbo

MacFady
10-18-2016, 05:54 AM
...I would check out the oil supply line for the turbo

I concur [up]

Quaality
10-18-2016, 07:38 AM
ok. I looked up what I should be looking for (as I did not know what it looks like) and would I be looking for it being loose and needing to be tightened or is it more common for a crack in the line or loose around connections allowing oil to pass?

redline380
10-18-2016, 07:49 AM
connection or the line has a break in it. You should almost be able to see oil seeping out while the engine is running. Might be a good idea to replace it just because.

Quaality
10-20-2016, 10:47 AM
So started it up last night for a few minutes and did not see anything seeping out, would it be best to spray down the lines and under engine and wipe down clean with brake cleaner to see where it is coming out? or run car to running temp rather than just a few minutes?

Believer
10-20-2016, 10:56 AM
Spraying things off will definitely help you track where the oil is coming from. Also running temp will probably also help find the leak easier as once the oil is warm it thins and can/will leak easier.