PDA

View Full Version : Clutch job, few questions.

nota_towel
09-26-2016, 05:45 PM
So I'm going to be doing my clutch in a few weeks here, and want to be sure I have all the correct parts. I'm swapping to an ra4 flywheel with an s4 Luk clutch kit. Do I also need a pilot bearing and slave cylinder? Which model do I buy, for my a4 or the s4 parts I'm using?

Davdraco1
09-26-2016, 06:24 PM
You need a pilot bearing and throw out bearing for your 1.8t. I've done my clutch twice and left the slave alone. Works fine. The only S4 part is the clutch kit itself. Make sure you buy new flywheeland pressure plate bolts. And blue locktite them.

nota_towel
09-26-2016, 06:32 PM
Which are the correct bolts for the AEB block? I've seen a bunch of different lengths and am a bit confused. And I think the kit may come with PP bolts

Davdraco1
09-26-2016, 07:17 PM
Look the flywheel bolts up on ECS. they have them. You can specify by your motor.

MetalMan
09-27-2016, 08:11 AM
Throwout bearing should come with the clutch kit (assuming you buy new).

Another option to consider is pairing a RA4 flywheel with the B7 RS4 clutch kit that only costs $145 on RockAuto:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/audi,2007,rs4,4.2l+v8,3003278,transmission-manual,clutch+kit,1993
(first one on that list)

And I made a thread about it:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/682161-B7-RS4-pressure-plate-(clutch-disk-too-)-RA4-flywheel

Short list to make it work:
-space pressure plate off flywheel by 2mm
-either replace dowel pins in flywheel with step-down size to fit B7 RS4 pressure plate, or drill out holes in pressure plate to fit RA4 FW dowel pins

I've been driving on this clutch now for almost 9 months. Spent LOTS of time in SoCal traffic. I do also recommend upgrading the clutch pedal over-center spring setup to what the S4 comes with, otherwise the clutch pedal will be quite stiff.

Davdraco1
09-27-2016, 08:19 AM
The throwout bearing will be for an S4 if you buy the kit by itself. You need an A4 throwout bearing.

PsorianoPre99A4
09-27-2016, 08:45 AM
So I'm going to be doing my clutch in a few weeks here, and want to be sure I have all the correct parts. I'm swapping to an ra4 flywheel with an s4 Luk clutch kit. Do I also need a pilot bearing and slave cylinder? Which model do I buy, for my a4 or the s4 parts I'm using?

I have what you want in my car now for the last 6k and it has been great thus far. If you get the kit, it should include everything you need including hardware. I used the stock slave cyl as well. Here's the kit I got from ECS. Its on my Stage 3 so far so good. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/ra4-240mm-clutch-conversion-kit-stage-1/ecsb6a4ra4s1ktst/?gclid=COuf7L7xr88CFQqPfgoddAMFog

Pelican Parts
09-27-2016, 08:50 AM
Since you'll be doing a clutch job maybe check out our clutch tech article HERE (http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Audi_Tech/51-TRANS-Clutch_and_Release_Bearing_Replacement/51-TRANS-Clutch_and_Release_Bearing_Replacement.htm) and see if it'll be helpful during the process. If you need additional clutch parts be sure to check out what we may have for you HERE (http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/AUB5/AUB5-Transmission-Clutch.htm). Good luck!

nota_towel
09-27-2016, 08:50 AM
Okay so I buy a new throw out bearing, and pilot bearing. And bolts

MetalMan
09-27-2016, 08:57 AM
The throwout bearing will be for an S4 if you buy the kit by itself. You need an A4 throwout bearing.

Incorrect, with the RA4 flywheel you'll use the S4 throwout (assuming S4 clutch kit).

Davdraco1
09-27-2016, 03:01 PM
Just referenced checked ECS and 034, they should be the same exact part number for the throwout bearing. the reason i said buy an S4 one is that when i bought a b5 s4 LUK clutch kit off rockauto, the same freaking kit ECS sells as a replacement for their RA4 kit, came with a weird looking throwout bearing so i bought the 034 metal TO bearing and its working out fine. moral of the story, check the part number.

MetalMan
09-27-2016, 03:10 PM
Just referenced checked ECS and 034, they should be the same exact part number for the throwout bearing. the reason i said buy an S4 one is that when i bought a b5 s4 LUK clutch kit off rockauto, the same freaking kit ECS sells as a replacement for their RA4 kit, came with a weird looking throwout bearing so i bought the 034 metal TO bearing and its working out fine. moral of the story, check the part number.

For stock A4 vs S4 clutch kits, that may be true.
But you have to be careful... i.e. if a person wanted to use a S4 Clutchmasters FX400 clutch on their A4 with RA4 flywheel, they would need to use the throwout bearing that comes with the CM FX400 S4 clutch kit. The RA4 FW is designed around the stack height of a S4 clutch kit (including TOB). In this case using a TOB for a CM FX400 for an A4 (assuming TOB is different between A4/S4 for FX400) could produce a poor stack height. This could lead to a poorly engaging/disengaging clutch.

Davdraco1
09-27-2016, 04:18 PM
Didn't think about that Metalman. Thanks for the heads up. I was just figuring bc he was using that kit. Thanks though.