PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Key Cut rather then ordering from Audi???

nisif
09-23-2016, 02:16 PM
Hey all, looks like the search engine is down...

Anyhow, I misplaced my only A4 key mainly because the clip broke so I couldn't attach it to my key set. UGH...

So I can buy a blank key online and was wondering if any Audi Dealers are able to cut the pattern onto the new blank key. According to the local Audi Dealer my only option is to have it sent from Audi. Total is $73 and that is only the key shank itself, not including the remote transmitter portion (which I can buy online much cheaper).

Just gauging my options, if any, to make it more cost effective. Not in a huge rush fortunately...i have other cars i can drive.

Thanks

kwnk
09-23-2016, 02:37 PM
Hey man,

Do you have a working key still? Even if it is the shank? I had a new key cut from the locksmith guys that are usually at my local Pick n Pull. They charged $35 (and I provided the blank)

MetalMan
09-23-2016, 02:39 PM
What they told you at the dealer is the same thing I have come to learn as well. They don't cut keys in-house, and can only order them pre-cut.

seanf86
09-23-2016, 02:45 PM
What they told you at the dealer is the same thing I have come to learn as well. They don't cut keys in-house, and can only order them pre-cut.

^^^^^ this is what my local dealer tells me as well, however if you have any type of key still a local locksmith will cut you one for probably less.

nisif
09-23-2016, 03:06 PM
Hey man,

Do you have a working key still? Even if it is the shank? I had a new key cut from the locksmith guys that are usually at my local Pick n Pull. They charged $35 (and I provided the blank)

Thanks for all the replies...

Unfortunately that was the only key I had. Kicking myself for not making a spare key earlier. Looks like my only option is the stealership. Lesson learned.

MetalMan
09-23-2016, 03:08 PM
^^^^^ this is what my local dealer tells me as well, however if you have any type of key still a local locksmith will cut you one for probably less.

It takes a special locksmith to be able to cut/copy a key blank in my experience. I was unable to find one locally... but my searching didn't include mobile locksmiths, just brick & mortar ones.

nisif
09-23-2016, 04:03 PM
It may be more expensive anyhow due to the inverse design of the key...

nisif
09-24-2016, 09:51 AM
Great News... I found the key. :)

While this is fresh on my mind I'd like get a replacement case so that I can finally attach a key ring to the case to avoid losing it again. Also my remote entry does not work with this key. I put 2 brand new batteries in it...both tested good. Is it true I need will need 2 keys in order to program the keyless entry? If needed I can start another thread.

THanks

seanf86
09-24-2016, 06:30 PM
Great News... I found the key. :)

While this is fresh on my mind I'd like get a replacement case so that I can finally attach a key ring to the case to avoid losing it again. Also my remote entry does not work with this key. I put 2 brand new batteries in it...both tested good. Is it true I need will need 2 keys in order to program the keyless entry? If needed I can start another thread.

THanks

yes you need 2 keys, only 1 remote that you want to program but you need 2 keys, one to go in the ign and one in the door. For cheap blanks I use wholesalecarkeys.net for my remotes and key blanks, I've even used their immo keys for my wifes B6 with no problems. As long as you can find a locksmith who can cut it you should be good, everyone uses "sidewinder" keys now (most of Chevy, Kia and lots of other brands) so lots of places should have the machines to do it.

edit: seems as if the site does not work anymore....