PDA

View Full Version : Can chain tensioner questions

Rodgman15
09-03-2016, 06:02 AM
1.8BAT QM AEB

I've got a cam chain tensioner taking a crap on me. Haven't pulled the valve cover to inspect overall damage yet, but wanted to ask everyone else's opinion. OEM Audi unit installed when I put my new engine in about 3k ago, now I've got chain slap like a bitch.

From anyone who's dealt with this, how typical is it for a brand new OEM unit to fail? From what I've seen, nobody makes a manual aftermarket one, so my options of getting something "better" just don't exist from what I've seen.

It could just be the pads, I haven't looked yet, but I'm not counting on that. 35+ psi wears things out fast. Optimally a fixed manual adjustable one would be perfect, but ya right.

Any input is appreciated!

seanf86
09-03-2016, 06:46 AM
I'm assuming your build you put in a new oil pump and pickup? low oil pressure makes them slap, could remove it and check out the feed port in the head and make sure the passage is clear too. I've got 300k kms on my AEB tensioner and it doesnt make any noise, car is stock but it gets the crap beaten out of it.

Rodgman15
09-03-2016, 07:09 AM
Both brand new, oil pressure numbers look great (in cab oil pressure gauge).

Certainly possible passage is blocked, could be pads too who knows.

seanf86
09-03-2016, 11:33 AM
Both brand new, oil pressure numbers look great (in cab oil pressure gauge).

Certainly possible passage is blocked, could be pads too who knows.

was the head hot tanked, another thought is the screen from the old CCT is stuck in the passage of the head.

Rodgman15
09-03-2016, 12:46 PM
Sure was, fully built from top to bottom as well. I'll have to get some motivation and get off the couch to take a look at it.

The old tensioner had its screen, I can confirm that.

The fact that it started randomly is what makes me think its failed.

spindoctor
09-03-2016, 10:18 PM
Strange for an OEM one to cause that problem. I know the non OEM ones cause heaps of problem..hence why I just replaced the pads on mine and kept the old tensioner.

Rodgman15
09-03-2016, 11:08 PM
Do the OEM ones ever "wear out"? Other than the pads themselves?

seanf86
09-04-2016, 07:52 AM
Do the OEM ones ever "wear out"? Other than the pads themselves?

on a VVT one that had pads fail and the chain wore out the metal on my wifes B6 it looks like there is an o ring inside that when pressure is applied it forces the pad upwards, if that o ring has failed it would leak oil out and have less force keeping the chain tensioned.

Rodgman15
09-04-2016, 09:43 AM
Hmm. No visible oil leaks (from that area ;) lol ). I guess the two I've removed have gone straight in the trash, with the thinking I'd buy new, which I did. I didn't think there were many moving components inside of them.

I must have just gotten a bad apple, fingers crossed.

seanf86
09-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Hmm. No visible oil leaks (from that area ;) lol ). I guess the two I've removed have gone straight in the trash, with the thinking I'd buy new, which I did. I didn't think there were many moving components inside of them.

I must have just gotten a bad apple, fingers crossed.

you won't see it leak, it will be an internal leak under the valve cover, if youre brave you could start it with no VC and see if oil starts oozing around where the metal pad holders slide in.

Rodgman15
09-04-2016, 10:27 AM
Ya, I can do that. It sprays oil out of the fill cap as it is (under boost) so it's not much more of a mess anyway lol.