PDA

View Full Version : Wont start....

B528QM
11-17-2005, 10:48 AM
So my 2000 A4 2.8 Q MT is having probablems starting occasionally... i'll have to turn it over for like 30 seconds before it'll start... Check engine is on but all its showing is insufficent flow in bank one... I have changed th fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs, no changes after the tune-up...

nizmosx
11-17-2005, 10:51 AM
did you check your coil packs or your icm. sometimes they have a role in a car not starting. Also maybe its the starter itself slowly failing on you...

RedRocket
11-17-2005, 10:56 AM
Maybe the battery is not holding enough charge to supply the rest of the components with sufficient power while cranking at the same time and it only until the alternator has provided a bit of juice for the batter that you get sufficient power. (now with my lungs completely empty of air, I take a deep breath...)

So is the battery fluid low? Is the battery old?

B528QM
11-17-2005, 11:03 AM
battry is about a year old... and check engine is on so its deffinatly not it... i'll check out the coilpacks on it though

Neo1130
11-17-2005, 11:09 AM
Third link down on the left...

http://www.robsaudiworld.com/tech.htm

Neo1130
11-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Power to everything pretty much gets shut off when the starter is initiated... Plus at cranking the alternator probably won't supply enough to the battery to make it even count... "Battery fluid" is probably good seeing as how most batteries on the market are actually zero maintenance batteries and you cannot open them...

Originally posted by RedRocket
Maybe the battery is not holding enough charge to supply the rest of the components with sufficient power while cranking at the same time and it only until the alternator has provided a bit of juice for the batter that you get sufficient power. (now with my lungs completely empty of air, I take a deep breath...)

So is the battery fluid low? Is the battery old?

Neo1130
11-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Wait, the link I gave you is actually pre-2000... Sorry...

RedRocket
11-17-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Neo1130
Power to everything pretty much gets shut off when the starter is initiated... Plus at cranking the alternator probably won't supply enough to the battery to make it even count... "Battery fluid" is probably good seeing as how most batteries on the market are actually zero maintenance batteries and you cannot open them...

You're right but....

I didn't know power gets shut of to everything when cranking. Just wondering then, how do the spark plugs fire, and how does the fuel system work while cranking? I did not know what type of batter he had. My original batteys was serviceable, it that, it needed a distilled water top of after 5 years.

I don't think my post was likely, but I was just trying to take a step back and get past the battery. I was expecting (or I figured) somone would post to eliminate my suggestion.

bitterchild
11-17-2005, 12:23 PM
is insufficient flow to bank one referring to fuel or air?