PDA

View Full Version : Low octane low boost

NickSaieg
06-15-2016, 07:47 PM
So I just went to get gas and I tell the guy to put 93 in it ( I'm in nj) and he ends up putting regular in it. Driving home I can't get past 5 psi of boost. My car is Apr stage 1 and It's a tip. Is it just the gas causing this?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Davdraco1
06-15-2016, 08:29 PM
Possible limp mode? Any codes?

b5a4erik
06-15-2016, 08:47 PM
I did the same thing accidentally the other day, and am noticing similar effects... bump.

NickSaieg
06-15-2016, 08:53 PM

NickSaieg
06-15-2016, 08:56 PM
I did the same thing accidentally the other day, and am noticing similar effects... bump.
No codes whatsoever

Davdraco1
06-16-2016, 03:15 AM
I used to live in NJ and had the same thing happen to me but without issue.

Radskull1
06-16-2016, 03:36 AM
----------------------------------

czum09
06-16-2016, 04:01 AM
On a tuned vehicle, you run what the car is tuned for. So in this case, it is the fuel. Don't beat on it till you burn through the tank. Or drain it.

NickSaieg
06-16-2016, 04:18 AM
On a tuned vehicle, you run what the car is tuned for. So in this case, it is the fuel. Don't beat on it till you burn through the tank. Or drain it.
Okay, Thank you. It had me worried that I broke something else and didn't notice. Do you recommend octane boosters.?

Davdraco1
06-16-2016, 04:53 AM
Gas is gas, its proven that high octane doesnt make any difference in power to any vehicle. Its a little cleaner but with a good fuel filter. gas cant cause an issue unless its gas that has additives it wont cause any issues.

Different octane levels resist knock. All gas is not the same. If your car is tuned for 93, you'll want to run 93. You won't get the same Performace or mpg if you run 87. You can run 87, but you car will pull timing and feel like a dog so the motor doesn't knock.

LINDW4LL
06-16-2016, 04:56 AM
Gas is gas, its proven that high octane doesnt make any difference in power to any vehicle. Its a little cleaner but with a good fuel filter. gas cant cause an issue unless its gas that has additives it wont cause any issues.
This has to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever read.

Nollywood
06-16-2016, 05:13 AM

Uhm, no.

A boosted motor should run the gas with the correct octane the ECM is tuned for. Run 87 gas, when the tune calls for 93, and the knock sensors will wake up, and pull timing back. The car will feel like a slug, and the motor will burn the gas quicker.

If you're unlucky, and your knock sensors are bad, it's possible to run the car with no ignition timing pull, and eventually, assuming you go WOT, you will blow holes in your piston crowns.

NickSaieg
06-16-2016, 05:39 AM
The car feels extremely sluggish. I am going to put some octane booster and run it on the stock tune till i can refill the tank. Thank you. Btw big fan of your build[drool]

Davdraco1
06-16-2016, 05:53 AM
This is proof of do your homework before you trust any one. Like I said, I had the same thing happen with the gas attendant putting in regular. My car is fine. This isn't a huge issue, just take it easy.

GrapeBandit
06-16-2016, 06:31 AM
its proven that high octane doesnt make any difference in power to any vehicle.

This has to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever read.
he is right in a way, but i dont think he knows exactly why lol

high octane alone doesn't make more power, you need a tune to advance timing to take advantage of its anti-knock capabilities. higher octane actually has less power than lower octane. lower octane has more btu's, but the flip side is less knock resistant, hence less aggressive tune. thats the reason ppl think just adding high octane makes more power.

andyrew
06-16-2016, 07:47 AM
Lower octane will pull more timing out, but only to a point. I think it might be possible that it pulled so much it went into limp mode.

I would say disconnect your battery for 30 minutes, start your car and see if it tries to run higher boost and then kicks you again into limp mode. If so then just run your gas out and put your high octane in it.

Or if you have 100 octane available put a couple gallons of that in it, it should bring you up to acceptable levels.

GOODBYNAAIR
06-16-2016, 11:56 AM
So I just went to get gas and I tell the guy to put 93 in it ( I'm in nj) and he ends up putting regular in it. Driving home I can't get past 5 psi of boost. My car is Apr stage 1 and It's a tip. Is it just the gas causing this?

I dont think anyone said this maybe you have a large boost leak ? its happens. cuplar on my inter cooler pipe ripped and the car would run fine at low boost but over a few lbs the rip would push open and car would start to run like a dog.

he is right in a way, but i dont think he knows exactly why lol

high octane alone doesn't make more power, you need a tune to advance timing to take advantage of its anti-knock capabilities. higher octane actually has less power than lower octane. lower octane has more btu's, but the flip side is less knock resistant, hence less aggressive tune. thats the reason ppl think just adding high octane makes more power.

Well said he just needs to do some research on how the level of octane really effects combustion.

Info in a nut shell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VWEwEveGTQ

goto about the 5 min mark

Radskull1
06-16-2016, 05:31 PM
someone actually comments just to call the other persons post dumb and adds nothing to assist on the reason he/she is wrong. also thank you guys for correcting me. @GrapeBandit @GOODBYNAAIR but i got my info from here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPPkPAbzwbU if i remember correctly. Probably shouldnt listen to CBC news but w/e lol but anyways i was thinking faster than i could type and when i do that i jot down info out of order to a way that only i can really get the full jist of it, Sorry about that, School is catching up with me lol, Anyways i actually did research on this some time ago and found that if u are not hot rodding ur car u can actually get the same amount of mileage out of regular and have never had any boost problems in the 100k ive driven the car, even when i was putting high octane into my car "First got it" i was getting the same milage as i am now, and the same boost. if i were to take my car on a long trip other than to the store and back SURE ill put high octane into it. if there was dirt/grime in the gas the fuel filter could become clogged and cause a Lean condition that can cause your car to not have as much power and not want to boost as much also i get the Eric the car guy thing, I was just in a rush lol MB guys

redline380
06-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Lets get some facts out there-

Octane used should be that determined by the manufacturer. Audi says 87 at a minimum, 91 should be used for best fuel economy and performance. The ECU will see low amounts of knock on 87 octane and will reduce timing, in turn reducing performance and fuel economy. This will not have a detrimental effect on the car besides the two issues already noted.

However, we all have tunes on our cars. If the tune is written for 93 and 87 is used, that could be a large enough difference that the ecu cannot compensate for and you may see increased symptoms.

OP has APR tuning, which is 93 I think. This means that he should use 93 and the use of 87 may have caused enough symptoms for the ECU to go into limp mode in order to protect the car's components.

The overall point here is to use the fuel that is suppose to be used. 87 in a flat out stock car is fine, but it won't be giving you the best results. 91 will. If you are tuned, you should use what the tune is written for. Considering the aggressiveness of some files out there, using 87 in a 93 tuned car could have disastrous effects, especially considering the nature of turbocharged vehicles.

OP, burn through the 87, but take it easy. Try to avoid boost if possible. Refill with 93 when you can. If the car does not revert back to full performance on its own, you may need to give it a reset, which is usually taken care of with removing the battery cable for a couple minutes.

redline380
06-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Radskull was "kind of" correct, but he did not elaborate enough to actually be correct. Octane differences can of course have a massive effect on an engine. Try putting 87 in a 100 octane car and see how fast that ****** will melt down.

Radskull1
06-16-2016, 06:00 PM
^This is how you correct someone :)

NickSaieg
06-17-2016, 08:36 PM
So an update: I've been driving it in limp mode taking it easy trying to get rid of the gas and just now it threw a p0171 code which says it's running lean. I'm going to check for leaks tomorrow. Could this be related to the gas issue?

redline380
06-17-2016, 08:57 PM
So an update: I've been driving it in limp mode taking it easy trying to get rid of the gas and just now it threw a p0171 code which says it's running lean. I'm going to check for leaks tomorrow. Could this be related to the gas issue?

Yes. If you have 93, fill up the tank.

NickSaieg
06-17-2016, 08:59 PM
Yes. If you have 93, fill up the tank.

I still have like 3/4 of a tank

redline380
06-17-2016, 09:00 PM
I still have like 3/4 of a tank

Take a road trip. I;ve head New England is wonderful this time of year

b5a4erik
06-20-2016, 08:41 PM
Take a road trip. I;ve head New England is wonderful this time of year

Word. Drive through CT my internet acquintance.