PDA

View Full Version : Where to mount crossover?

99audibink
11-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Well im installing a set of components, and im having a tough time trying to find a good
spot to mount the crossover in the door. Everywhere I tried wont work.

Anybody have some advice or pictures?

TIA

99audibink
11-11-2005, 04:13 AM
up

buck
11-11-2005, 05:13 AM
I'd like to know also - mine are HUGE:

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/551Stereo_Cross_Over_3_sm.JPG

Under dash would be a PITA and the wires would be longer.

Behind the door - there's no damn room for these.

94jedi
11-11-2005, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by buck

eh...I just started my project last night...Infinty REf series 5.25 components. Luckinly the crossovers arent too big...I'm thinking of maybe hollow-ing out the armrest and sticking them in there. Also, how the heck did you guys fit the 5.25's in the front? The stock mounting points suck.

Buck, I trimmed the area like you did but what ring did you use for the mount? For some reason the rubber surround of the infinity contacts the door panel...is there a way to set the speaker back a bit?

Sorry for the thread jack...

buck
11-11-2005, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by 94jedi
eh...I just started my project last night...Infinty REf series 5.25 components. Luckinly the crossovers arent too big...I'm thinking of maybe hollow-ing out the armrest and sticking them in there. Also, how the heck did you guys fit the 5.25's in the front? The stock mounting points suck.

Buck, I trimmed the area like you did but what ring did you use for the mount? For some reason the rubber surround of the infinity contacts the door panel...is there a way to set the speaker back a bit?

the ring I used was actually a mounting ring that came with the speakers. I've seen guys make them out of wood also. If you can get your hands on some sheet metal - you can just cut out some rings with tin-snips.

onemoremile
11-11-2005, 06:54 AM
if the crossover would fit inside the door panel then that's where i put it. wiring is much easier this way. i would double stick tape it to the inner or outer door skin.

if it wouldn't fit i would either make a custom crossover that would or i would mount it in the car and run two sets of wires to the door.

nizmosx
11-11-2005, 10:14 AM
I know that they are completely different cars but on my 240 sx what i did was use double sided sticky tape. and i mounted them inside the door. All i did was remove the speaker then i put the crossover inside the door in a spot where it does not affect the opening and closing of the window.. I dont know if the audi has a spoot like this but just toss it in there and slowly move the window down and make sure it does not hit it. If you have found a spot you then just mount it there and no one will ever see it.. Looks like a stock system; so youll get less people wanting to jack it. Hope you can make it happen.

94jedi
11-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by nizmosx
I know that they are completely different cars but on my 240 sx what i did was use double sided sticky tape. and i mounted them inside the door. All i did was remove the speaker then i put the crossover inside the door in a spot where it does not affect the opening and closing of the window.. I dont know if the audi has a spoot like this but just toss it in there and slowly move the window down and make sure it does not hit it. If you have found a spot you then just mount it there and no one will ever see it.. Looks like a stock system; so youll get less people wanting to jack it. Hope you can make it happen.

yeah, that's what I'm going to try to do...

boostedfun
11-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by buck

I have the same cross overs and mine are mounted inside the doors

buck
11-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by boostedfun
I have the same cross overs and mine are mounted inside the doors

WHERE?! I was even thinking of cutting all that foam out but there's a cross-member that was in the way.

Behind the door would be ideal - do you have any pics?

RedRocket
11-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Why use this over a built in one on an aftermarket deck?

buck
11-11-2005, 12:50 PM
^^^^^^^^who's got the aftermarket deck?

Red - I got a good chuckle from your "leave the condom in the car"!

RedRocket
11-11-2005, 01:04 PM
ah, so you don't want to swap the deck eh? Sorry about that, my ignorance. I have a crossover in my deck :)

Oh ya, the condom joke is classic, a friend sent it to me a few years back, and I can never forget the life lesson/humor Lol!!

Mawhitey
11-11-2005, 01:42 PM
I mounted my old X overs inside the door using zip ties, the xover was mounted to the black bar that runs through the door.

I mounted it face out so it was the same orientation as the one in the piccie further up the page. I have a 98.5 B5

b00st
11-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by 94jedi

when i used to do stereo installation...i would always find a spot behind the door. i've never done and a4 and haven't done installation in about 10yrs. but to me it looks like from the picture that you could mount it just to the left of where it is in the picture behind the door skin.....if there is something there...cut it out and fit it in there...with some double sided adhesive or that velco stuff and place it in there. not sure if you can but thats where i would shoot for if its possible....since the door skin mold comes out right there....hopefully thats not filled and its open behind that or its stuff you can cut out.