PDA

View Full Version : Washer fluid...... all over the garage floor

Wholsea
11-08-2005, 08:04 PM
So, Driving down the road today, flick the wand and no fluid...

I get home, pour about a gallon of the blue stuff in, not a problem, back the car out to find...

A gallon of blue stuff on the floor...

It leaked out of the bottom of the resivoar where the pump hooks in.

Only question is, is it the tank or is it the pump...

Found this out while replacing the MAF which went bad like 2 weeks ago... (Yay, got a new one from the dealership for $65 w00t)

So, issues left to fix...

[ ] Lower door mouldings (dr front, pass rear)
[ ] Washer fluid tank or pump
[ ] Brake light/flashing ABS light

Stupid audi.

jent
11-08-2005, 08:06 PM
no way to know without going in there. The pump is just a pressure fit to the tank so it very easily could have just slipped. Remove the bummper and take a gander.

badassbaldie
11-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Wholsea, same exact thing happened to me. I pulled the pump out

Wholsea
11-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Pull the bumper? The resivoar is like mid engine bay, to the right of the motor. I could probably reach right in and tug on the washer fluid pump...

Is it just pushed in there?

badassbaldie
11-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Wholsea, same exact thing happened to me. I pulled the pump out of the reservoir (pulls straight up) and it stopped leaking at about 1/4 full. I think the seal gets bad and probably needs repair. I haven't fixed mine yet either, but I think I might silicone around the pump to see if that works. I don't want to buy a new one if I don't have to. Hope this helps.

Wholsea
11-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by badassbaldie
Wholsea, same exact thing happened to me. I pulled the pump out of the reservoir (pulls straight up) and it stopped leaking at about 1/4 full. I think the seal gets bad and probably needs repair. I haven't fixed mine yet either, but I think I might silicone around the pump to see if that works. I don't want to buy a new one if I don't have to. Hope this helps.

Yeah, I think I can deal for a while, but when they start throwing salt, I can't be without my washers...

badassbaldie
11-08-2005, 08:15 PM
yes, you can access it without pulling the bumper. you do have to remove a couple things on top and move them aside.

badassbaldie
11-08-2005, 08:15 PM
don't you love the midwest...

Wholsea
11-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Pulling bumper?

Look at this pic, to the right you'll see the intake tube to the manifold, the resivoar is SMACK DAB in the middle, you can see the pump right there (Black cylendar in white tank with red/black wire poking out -- Right under the coolant tank)...

The dark blue at the verry bottom... That's wet from washer fluid...

http://www.ohiovw.com/cars/gallery/bbuxton-mid-4413-MVC-001X.JPG

I think the tanks are in different spots depending on the year...

Saturnine
11-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Its prolly the tank.

Mine cracked once.

badassbaldie
11-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Yep same location as mine. I just moved the coolant reservoir out of the way to access mine. It may take more than that to remove it though...

diegomatrix
11-08-2005, 08:39 PM
yea, that area where the pump sits into the tank is a common leakage area..
you can just pull the pump out from there....

or.... if you want to check the tank as well..

procedure:

take front driver side wheel off
take wheel fender liner off
take the whole washer tank out
take a look at your pump and the tank to see if there's any leaks

if you see like white stuff on your pump, it's most likely the pump that failed.... only 15 dollars or so to get a new one..

badassbaldie
11-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Pumps are that cheap? Great. I figured they would be like $50-60 since they are for an AUDI. I'm 99.9% sure mine is the pump...

jent
11-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Yea, on the 2.8 things are a bit too tight too work in there without removing the bumper. Maybe if you had really skinny girl arms you could do it on the 2.8 but the bumper is so easy to take off and install I rather spend 5min doing that.

Anyways yea I imagine if thats where the problem is you will need a new seal. If this is the issue you should still be able to have a little fluid in there to use just your windshield washers since that pump sits bellow the pump used for your headlight washers. If you can't get enough fluid in there for even your windshield washers I imagine your resivor is cracked.

RippleChip
11-09-2005, 05:47 AM
I think mine has a small leak, I don't seem to use my washers but the fluid goes down.

I also have door moulding issues, what are you doing with yours? I have warranty, think they'll cover them?

Wholsea
11-09-2005, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by RippleChip
I think mine has a small leak, I don't seem to use my washers but the fluid goes down.

I also have door moulding issues, what are you doing with yours? I have warranty, think they'll cover them?

Well, I've already replaced two of them, but the other two have nearly rotted right off the car.

RippleChip
11-09-2005, 09:13 AM
What'd it cost you to replace them?

Sucks that a plastic part like that rots from the inside and comes apart.

Wholsea
11-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by RippleChip
What'd it cost you to replace them?

Sucks that a plastic part like that rots from the inside and comes apart.

Its not the plastic part, its the metal part under the rubber (I'm talking lower door moldings)

ECS Has them for $30 a door. www.ecstuning.com