PDA

View Full Version : Stage 3 Build @ 300K+ Miles

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

christianb5s4
05-05-2016, 09:40 AM
I bought my 2001 Imola S4 back in August 2014 from a marine out in 29 Palms the day after I sold my 370Z, always wanted one from the first time I drove a B5 S4 in high school. Bought the car with 286K miles and it was not in good shape from previous owners and neglect, although the chassis felt solid and it had a lot of parts on it already so I figured it was nothing I couldn't fix. But driving 3 hours in 100 degree heat without working AC made me instantly question my decision to buy it.

Here's a comprehensive list of everything I've done to put it into perspective the kind of commitment you're in for bringing back a 286K mile B5 S4 to good health:

Done before ownership:

- AWE intercoolers
- Equus boost gauge
- JHM 1 to 2 gear syncros/collar
- Driveshaftshop 1 piece driveshaft
- JHM single mass flywheel, unknown clutch
- JHM SS
- Koni coilovers
- LaBree catless downpipes
- Miltek twin 2.5 exhaust
- New brake pads and discs
- Newer engine, trans
- New radiator

Done during my ownership:

- Samco intercooler hose set $30
- New coil packs, ICMs, spark plugs $70
- New front driverís axle $225
- New coolant reservoir $20
- New coolant temp sensor $15
- New driverís primary o2 sensor
- New G89 AC temp sensor $15
- New hood strut $25
- New headlights/ballasts/bulbs $170
- New front tires $280
- Center muffler removed $70
- New auxiliary cooling fan $40
- New Infinity rear deck speakers $45
- JFonz stage 2 tune $420
- 034 Motorsports DVs $200
- New driverís interior kick panel $30
- Turn signal issue $0
- Trunk lip $30
- VAG-com scans $0
--- No more airbag light
- New BKR7E spark plugs (0.026 gap) 3/18/15
- Oil change Shell Rotella @288,700 miles $60
- Valve cover gasket, painted VCs $91
- New windshield fluid reservoir/pumps $30
- Timing Belt w/ all components @ 293,800 miles $670 (incl. labor)
--- AZ Ultimate Kit (Pure MS), fresh G13
- Oil change Shell Rotella @ 293,800 miles
- Rear driverís wheel bearing @ 294,000 miles $200 (incl. labor)
- Spark plugs @ 294,000 miles
- New battery tray cover, engine covers, trans tunnel heat shields, and fuel level sender $60
- New updated vented oil cap, Continental vacuum lines ($60) 7/18/15
- Compression test complete:
--- Driverís side: 170/175/180psi (front to back)
--- Passenger side: 185/170/176psi (front to back)
- New sparkplugs (7/27/15)
- Stern Power Ring and rear differential mount bushings $120
- New fuel level sender installed, confirmed Bosch 044 pump installed
- New rear passengerís side wheel bearing @ 295,500 miles
- New 034 Motorsports F hose and new 90 degree hose from check valve
- New front sway bar end links (gold)
- New spider hose assembly, y-pipe $40
- New transmission and rear diff fluid FUCHS Titan 75W-90
- SRM/SSAC K03/4/RS6 universal dps and Twin 1 $800
--- New JHM exhaust hardware
--- DEI Titanium wrap on downpipes
- New OEM Bosch primary o2 sensor (driverís side) $100
- Oil change (11/16/15)
- New Hella OEM oil temp/level sensor $70
- H&R premium coilovers $950 shipped
--- New FCP front control arms $200
--- Lemforder HD tie rod ends $82
--- New hardware $35
--- New spring perches $40
--- 034 density line front strut mounts $50
- Full alignment $140
- New NGK BKR7e plugs (11/22/15) 298,160 miles
- Redline Goods alcantara shift boot $65
- Infinity 4022i front speakers installed $80
- New Vaico Turn Signal Relay $26
- New OEM 4 Bar FPR $75
- AWE Boost Gauge, new vacuum line, ECS gauge pod $150

The day I bought it, does not look bad in pictures but it was absolutely filthy and needed a ton of TLC to bring it back.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/10616883_686579548086344_1108721566_n_zpswud92swg. jpg

How it looks today:

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160428_183412_zpsdjmhcyxh.jpg

CJ_
05-05-2016, 09:45 AM
Thats a ton of maintenance! Looks good though, cant wait to see this!

jballou
05-05-2016, 09:45 AM
There is only one problem...

It's yellow. Ewwwww

christianb5s4
05-05-2016, 09:52 AM
For the build, it's a relatively simple stage 3 build but with a ton of preventative maintenance parts. I want to do this once and do it right and have a reliable 450whp car that I can drive to my heart's content. I set my budget, then quickly realized I was going to smash through it. I tried to get every single thing that could be taken care of while the engine and transmission are out, and fully expect a few things unexpected to pop up as well. Jballou will be doing the build completed before Wuste, he's a great guy and I'm 100% confident.

Build list:

- Compturbo K04 Hybrids with RS6 wheels hot and cold side
- Clutchmasters stage 4 clutch w/ steel flywheel
- RS4 airbox/MAF/accordian
- XS Power K04 inlets
- Advanced Automation built 01e w/ JHM 4:1 diff
- JHM solid linkage, stabilizer bushing, and centering spring
- Etspec tune
- 3 Bar MAP
- EV14 72lb injectors
- New turbo oil return and feed lines
- New turbo coolant lines
- Cinesnow wastegate lines
- New CPS sensor
- New N75
- New vacuum lines
- 034 intercooler hose set
- Stern engine & trans mounts
- Turbo hardware
- New JHM snub mount
- New fuel filter
- Afterrun low temp switch
- New power steering lines
- New slave cylinder
- Valve cover gaskets
- Cam plugs
- New heater core supply/return couplers
- New Coolant drain plug
- Oil filter
- G13
- Pentosin CHF202
- Motul 5.1
- Fuchs Titan Sinto
- NGK BKR7EIX

y3ti
05-05-2016, 10:53 AM
whens this happening? I wanna check it out, if I'm free.

christianb5s4
05-05-2016, 11:18 AM
Dropping the car off at Justin's Saturday, I will figure out a schedule with him so I can come up to help and speed up the process. Most likely weekends or after I leave the office week nights.

bmoreS4
05-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Very similar to my build, looks good man.

Trb1
05-05-2016, 11:35 AM
I'd look into induktion motorsports/SRM oil feed lines. They're steel braided and the passenger line runs around the manifold with a nice heat shield instead of through the manifold. It prevents oil cokeing from the heat. Just cheap insurance and piece of mind for expensive turbos.

hibiscusS4
05-05-2016, 11:39 AM
thats a good option didnt cinesnow also make feed lines? i could be wrong but i thought he did.. either way in for updates on the build

jpurre
05-05-2016, 11:59 AM
If your oil lines don't leak, just clean them really well and reuse. Otherwise the SRM oil lines are a good idea.

christianb5s4
05-05-2016, 12:16 PM
As for the oil lines, I'm going with the OEM lines that will be cleaned up prior to re-installation just because they are more than adequate for my needs. However, I hate the design of the factory wastegate lines and want to get rid of that entirely pending seeing how the lines that are on the car now look once the engine is out.

Yes, Cinesnow makes the oil lines as well and we've talked about it. Will know more once we take a look at the stock lines to see what we will use!

bmoreS4
05-05-2016, 12:26 PM
I went with SRM lines, very nice product.

cameron90
05-05-2016, 12:30 PM
I thought my 02 had alot if miles with 144k, but over 300k goddamn

02 b5 s4
(Black Betty)

xalents23
05-05-2016, 12:54 PM
You're in good hands with jballou. He's a great guy and knows his stuff. Congrats on going Stage 3.[s4]

Drehmoment
05-05-2016, 01:01 PM
OEM oil lines are superior to any aftermarket " improvements ".... That's the reason it lasted 300 k , factory R&D vs backyard "engineering"

As far as the Chicom turbos are concerned, wake me up when a set hits 200 k

jpurre
05-05-2016, 01:02 PM
As for the oil lines, I'm going with the OEM lines that will be cleaned up prior to re-installation just because they are more than adequate for my needs. However, I hate the design of the factory wastegate lines and want to get rid of that entirely pending seeing how the lines that are on the car now look once the engine is out.

Yes, Cinesnow makes the oil lines as well and we've talked about it. Will know more once we take a look at the stock lines to see what we will use!

I would highly recommend you replace the wastegate reference lines. Mine exploded after F21's were installed, and it was very difficult to replace with the engine back in.

y3ti
05-05-2016, 01:13 PM

what "chicom" turbos are you talking about?

Comp Turbo is based in CA. Idk if he is using OEM k04 housings, but even then it doesnt matter; it's a Comp Turbo chra.

Drehmoment
05-05-2016, 01:59 PM
I am familiar with Comp turbo......I was referencing to the shoe string budget crowd....and no , Comp turbo ain't Chinese budget

seanf86
05-05-2016, 01:59 PM
hows the jhm driveshaft? I just dropped mine off at a local driveshaft shop to have them cut the ends off and make me a custom 1 piece, I have seen mixed reviews about vibrations on the highway with a 1 piece.

Tjtalan
05-05-2016, 02:20 PM
Cant wait to do some pulls on the way to Vegas!

christianb5s4
05-05-2016, 02:21 PM
OEM oil lines are superior to any aftermarket " improvements ".... That's the reason it lasted 300 k , factory R&D vs backyard "engineering"

That's the thought process behind getting new OEM lines, also this is certainly not a shoestring budget build as my wallet has found out. These turbos use OEM BW K04s as a base.

I would highly recommend you replace the wastegate reference lines. Mine exploded after F21's were installed, and it was very difficult to replace with the engine back in.

I am 99% sure I'm going to replace the entire lines, the ones on the car are not in good shape that's for sure. Going with Cinesnow's.

hows the jhm driveshaft? I just dropped mine off at a local driveshaft shop to have them cut the ends off and make me a custom 1 piece, I have seen mixed reviews about vibrations on the highway with a 1 piece.

I actually found out a while back it's a driveshaftshop driveshaft, but it's been great with no issues. Of course I don't have any reference to what it's like compared to stock since it came on the car.

bmoreS4
05-05-2016, 03:17 PM
I am familiar with Comp turbo......I was referencing to the shoe string budget crowd....and no , Comp turbo ain't Chinese budget

Ahh now we get it, you where taking shots at people because of a difference in preference..........classy.

Way to contribute.

bmoreS4
05-05-2016, 03:20 PM
And OP, I also went OEM KO4 as my base turbo as well.

I'm super satisfied.

christianb5s4
05-05-2016, 03:44 PM
And OP, I also went OEM KO4 as my base turbo as well.

I'm super satisfied.

I'm so excited, do you have a build thread by chance? I'm shooting for 450whp on 91 but that might be optimistic. Having a conservative E85 tune done as well.

Trb1
05-05-2016, 04:04 PM

Ah, You're correct. Blindly following OEM spec products is always the correct answer. Audi didn't make any other mistakes with the motor, so why would the oil lines be an exception...

I'm not faulting the OEM oil lines, but you can't argue that moving the oil supply line away from the manifold is going to do any harm.

300,000 miles on the chassis, not the motor or trans. Especially not the turbos.

bmoreS4
05-05-2016, 04:06 PM
I'm so excited, do you have a build thread by chance? I'm shooting for 450whp on 91 but that might be optimistic. Having a conservative E85 tune done as well.

01.5 Stage 3 Build Progress Thread
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642905

Shhmaudi
05-05-2016, 07:22 PM
Justin is the man, if anyone knows about 300k S4s its him.. All jokes aside hes very thorough and knows his stuff[up] good luck with the build

Drehmoment
05-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Ahh now we get it, you where taking shots at people because of a difference in preference..........classy.

Way to contribute.

I recommend you retreat to a safe space to heal your infantility.

eagano
05-05-2016, 08:19 PM
Dropping the car off at Justin's Saturday, I will figure out a schedule with him so I can come up to help and speed up the process. Most likely weekends or after I leave the office week nights.

Justin did my PJK04 build just over a year ago. I helped out as much as I could. He does awesome work, knows these cars inside and out, and you can learn a hell of a lot from him just by being there. [wrench]

Peter1.8t
05-05-2016, 08:23 PM
Congrats on finally taking the plunge into crazy land.

It sounds like you've done plenty of research and parts gathering beforehand, which will help eliminate many of the unforeseen headaches that pop up. Probably the highest miles yet I've heard of someone going stage 3. 5 or 6 years ago when I converted mine over about 110k miles on the car I remember some people telling me it wouldn't last. All these years later and constantly driving the car hard, it still performs flawlessly and beats up on cars it shouldn't. Your build will be a testament to the b5s4 chassis.

christianb5s4
05-06-2016, 08:47 AM
01.5 Stage 3 Build Progress Thread
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642905

Thanks for the link, I remember your thread but must have missed it when I searched. So awesome, did you end up using the silicone couplers and cutting the inlets or just running them as is?

Justin is the man, if anyone knows about 300k S4s its him.. All jokes aside hes very thorough and knows his stuff[up] good luck with the build

That's for sure, he's done the timing belt and a wheel bearing on my car before this. I knew my car wasn't perfect but it was hilarious watching him walk around and point out everything that was missing or not OEM lol.

Justin did my PJK04 build just over a year ago. I helped out as much as I could. He does awesome work, knows these cars inside and out, and you can learn a hell of a lot from him just by being there. [wrench]

Congrats on the build! I agree, I've done the vast majority of the work on this car but I know my mechanical limits and he's an encyclopedia of B5 S4 knowledge.

Congrats on finally taking the plunge into crazy land.

It sounds like you've done plenty of research and parts gathering beforehand, which will help eliminate many of the unforeseen headaches that pop up. Probably the highest miles yet I've heard of someone going stage 3. 5 or 6 years ago when I converted mine over about 110k miles on the car I remember some people telling me it wouldn't last. All these years later and constantly driving the car hard, it still performs flawlessly and beats up on cars it shouldn't. Your build will be a testament to the b5s4 chassis.

Thanks Peter, glad you chimed in especially because I love your car and videos especially since your car is a benchmark for reliable fast stage 3 builds IMO. These cars are very well built, if their weak points are addressed mechanically there is no reason these cars can't make it to very high miles. Mine is certainly no garage queen, unfortunately years of neglect for a lot of these cars (including mine) means lots of preventative maintenance will be required before even thinking about doing a build.

Heck, I've spent thousands on just OEM replacement parts alone but this car has yet to breakdown in the 2 years I've daily driven it or even have a single light on the dash over a year. B5 S4s have a very specific (read: addictive) character and charm to them that's hard to place a finger on, but it's certainly there.

bmoreS4
05-06-2016, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the link, I remember your thread but must have missed it when I searched. So awesome, did you end up using the silicone couplers and cutting the inlets or just running them as is?

Thanks. ended up doing all new silicone.

christianb5s4
05-06-2016, 08:52 AM
I am officially starting to feel guilty how many packages I'm having delivered at my parent's house now. Weeks of relentless car part deliveries.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Snapchat-738504023697330947_zpscfx0de5m.jpg

christianb5s4
05-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Injectors arrived today, so excited to start the build tomorrow. Does anyone see anything I'm missing on the parts list by chance?

MikeyB3
05-06-2016, 03:16 PM
FINALLY. I cant wait to see this thing all finished. Beers afterwards.

eagano
05-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Injectors arrived today, so excited to start the build tomorrow. Does anyone see anything I'm missing on the parts list by chance?

I was going to say fuel pump. But then I saw 044 from your first post:

Done during my ownership:

- New fuel level sender installed, confirmed Bosch 044 pump installed

Seems like a very solid build, can't wait to see how it turns out! Who's tuning it?

02nms4
05-08-2016, 07:22 PM
Subscribed looking forward to seeing this done. Looks like a solid setup, just finished a ko4 build for my buddy a couple months ago, he dailys it without any problems and is hard on it with 224k and he couldnt be happier. Im hoping to have my stage3 build on the road by the end of the month as well. Also saw on another one of your threads your planning on going to wuste, I'm going to be in Vegas that weekend so I'm hoping to check it out if time allows [emoji1] good luck![emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

getslideways
05-08-2016, 09:55 PM
this is an example of how to step into the stage 3 arena correctly [up]

christianb5s4
05-09-2016, 09:11 AM
I was going to say fuel pump. But then I saw 044 from your first post:

Seems like a very solid build, can't wait to see how it turns out! Who's tuning it?

Thanks man! Blake over at Etspec (him and Daz worked together) is doing the tunes, going to have an E85 and 91 tune done but will start with 91 for now just to get the car broken in and sorted.

Subscribed looking forward to seeing this done. Looks like a solid setup, just finished a ko4 build for my buddy a couple months ago, he dailys it without any problems and is hard on it with 224k and he couldnt be happier. Im hoping to have my stage3 build on the road by the end of the month as well. Also saw on another one of your threads your planning on going to wuste, I'm going to be in Vegas that weekend so I'm hoping to check it out if time allows [emoji1] good luck![emoji106]

You should definitely stop by Wuste if you can, there are going to be a whole bunch of B5 S4s in our group coming out from Socal. Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly! Mileage is not a big deal with these cars if taken care of, one of the benefits of a well engineered chassis and drivetrain (not without its weaknesses I know).

this is an example of how to step into the stage 3 arena correctly [up]

Doing my best, I've learned a lot on here and credit AZ and many helpful and knowledgeable B5 guys for helping me get to where I am today. Community is key here.

christianb5s4
05-09-2016, 09:14 AM
So update, car is officially at Justin's. Got all the parts needed except for the injectors (thanks stupid USPS) and am ordered a few odds and ends along with Cinesnow's wastegate lines today as well. Going to be working on the car with Justin this weekend but he'll tear the car down this week so I can order anything needed prior to the weekend.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160507_143832_zpsmx5j3tyr.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160507_103258_zpsaca8n2r1.jpg

y3ti
05-09-2016, 09:31 AM
i didnt know you were installing neons... dope...

lookin good. im anxious to see some build pics.

jballou
05-09-2016, 09:44 AM
So update, car is officially at Justin's. Got all the parts needed except for the injectors (thanks stupid USPS) and am ordered a few odds and ends along with Cinesnow's wastegate lines today as well. Going to be working on the car with Justin this weekend but he'll tear the car down this week so I can order anything needed prior to the weekend.

Uhg.. So why is this car at my place again????

I am just changing the oil??? right?

[wrench]

christianb5s4
05-09-2016, 09:52 AM
i didnt know you were installing neons... dope...

lookin good. im anxious to see some build pics.

Neon underglow, not in the picture is the fresh blinker fluid and muffler bearings we'll be taking care of as well. Ha.

Uhg.. So why is this car at my place again????

I am just changing the oil??? right?

[wrench]

Just the oil, nothing more! Ha, I'm anxious to the point of having a hard time falling asleep.

y3ti
05-09-2016, 10:14 AM
Neon underglow, not in the picture is the fresh blinker fluid and muffler bearings we'll be taking care of as well.

You should consider twin dipsticks... 2 turbos, 2 dipsticks.

christianb5s4
05-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Haha, side note: does anyone have the specs for the straight silicone couplers used for the XS power inlets? We're cutting off the ends and using a straight silicone coupler but want to confirm the size first before ordering.

christianb5s4
05-09-2016, 02:01 PM
Thank you post office and Blake

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160509_133345_zpsl2zwr2uy.jpg

christianb5s4
05-09-2016, 04:16 PM
Haha, side note: does anyone have the specs for the straight silicone couplers used for the XS power inlets? We're cutting off the ends and using a straight silicone coupler but want to confirm the size first before ordering.

Found it, 2" ID silicone straight tubing.

christianb5s4
05-10-2016, 03:09 PM
Ordered up Cinesnow's complete wastegate lines along with an OEM RS4 grill thanks to xalent.

christianb5s4
05-11-2016, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the pictures Justin, tear down has begun only to quickly find out a whole bunch of coolant hoses need to be replaced along with all the clamps he's run into ("shitty Walmart ones"). Will know more soon.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/image_zpsss9usq3j.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Audi1_zpsg42gnbym.jpg

hibiscusS4
05-11-2016, 09:00 AM
nice in for more updates

y3ti
05-11-2016, 09:09 AM
damn... i was gonna tell you to order all new coolant lines, but i figured you probably thought about those already.

definitely replace both of the hoses coming off of the oil cooler. i know theyre expensive...
I got em from genuineaudiparts, that was the cheapest OEM source i found.

christianb5s4
05-11-2016, 10:14 AM
Just got a whole list of stuff to order from Justin, getting that done today so the parts arrive as soon as possible. Wish I knew about the coolant lines so I could've ordered them before hand.

jballou
05-11-2016, 10:15 AM
http://www.temeculavalleymotoringenthusiasts.com/wp-content/gallery/misc/img_20160510_201248-medium.jpg

axnjaksn
05-11-2016, 10:43 AM
http://www.temeculavalleymotoringenthusiasts.com/wp-content/gallery/misc/img_20160510_201248-medium.jpg

THE MAN doing what he does best!!!!

christianb5s4
05-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Whelp. Placed a whole bunch of additional orders for parts, gotta just suck it up and do it right.

- OEM Alternator harness and positive battery lead
- Numerous OEM clamps, seals, clips
- Ambient temperature sensor
- Radiator shrouds

symyn
05-11-2016, 01:00 PM
Can you link me to which turbo you went with on compturbo.com?

y3ti
05-11-2016, 01:30 PM
Send them an email about remanufacturing and upgrading an OEM turbo. There is no specific link, that I could find.

christianb5s4
05-11-2016, 01:39 PM
I'd send them an email, I know Justin was looking for the specs so if we find them I'll post that.

jballou
05-11-2016, 02:20 PM
They are Custom made by CompTurbo. I was working with Justin(CompTurbo) before he parted ways. Forgot who actually finished them.

symyn
05-11-2016, 02:54 PM
What kind of ball park price did you pay for them? As much as I like the Chicom price I would rather have something built in America or Germany.

christianb5s4
05-11-2016, 03:32 PM
Don't bother with Chicom turbos, don't even think about it. Find a set of OEM turbos on here for a good price or spring for the many other options like F21 / K04s / SRM etc.

Dfloods4
05-11-2016, 03:37 PM
I believe they are rs6 centers inside those. Not certain though. Comp only puts one size in to modify the K04. Least what they told me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christianb5s4
05-16-2016, 08:37 AM
Got some more done on the car this weekend with Justin, things are coming along nicely and besides a few parts I need to order, it's almost time to put everything back together!

Before:

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160514_121557_zpsgdwpimka.jpg

After:

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160515_173401_zpsi3lsihha.jpg

Before:

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160515_144830_zpsnygcggvx.jpg

After:

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160515_171917_zpslocoa6eu.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160515_171921_zpsvsxtyge9.jpg

Engine all clean:

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160515_173351_zpsleyei2bf.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160515_173728_zpswuvqemjv.jpg

02nms4
05-16-2016, 09:23 AM
wow what did you use to clean the tranny? Looking good!

christianb5s4
05-16-2016, 09:46 AM
I used a lot of degreaser and elbow grease, cleaning the tranny easily took 4 times longer than painting it. The key is the prep work, for paint I used VHT engine enamel Universal Aluminum (silver portion) and GM Satin Black for the rest.

cinesnow
05-16-2016, 10:02 AM
Looking good christian, can't wait to see this in person and drink some beers over it

christianb5s4
05-16-2016, 11:43 AM
I'm stoked too, thanks for taking the time to come out and help Marc. Besides a few things pending shipment from ECS and installing the wastegate lines, the car is mostly ready to go back together.

Jsherpss
05-16-2016, 12:31 PM

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160507_143832_zpsmx5j3tyr.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160507_103258_zpsaca8n2r1.jpg

Looks good!! wanna see the finished product !

christianb5s4
05-16-2016, 01:42 PM
Got the last of the stuff ordered, but the turbos and lines are going to be put together along with the trans and clutch setup. Once the last few orders arrive overnighted, everything else will come together as well.

JKnight41
05-16-2016, 02:49 PM
So sick, Christian. Can't wait for you to rip in it!

christianb5s4
05-16-2016, 03:54 PM
Me neither, you have no idea how anxious I am to drive it! Just gotta get a few hundred miles of city driving in to break the clutch in then start logging for tune revisions prior to Wuste. Only question is to E85 or not right off the bat, I probably won't since I'm going on a trip to Havasu mid June and there's zero E85 stations on the way.

sherbet
05-16-2016, 04:04 PM
Go for pump gas at first....

The jump from stage 2 to stage 3 will be good enough to hold you over for a little bit at least [;)]

Once you feel like you have gotten used to the power, E85 seems like a logical next step to keep you happy. At least, that is how I would do it!

Excited to see this build come together.

christianb5s4
05-16-2016, 05:42 PM
That's my feeling as well, especially at first just to get used to everything. A healthy 400+whp is no slouch especially compared to stage 2!

CJ_
05-16-2016, 09:09 PM
Wow the trans turned out awesome!! Can't wait to se this thing ripping

Peter1.8t
05-16-2016, 11:28 PM
That's my feeling as well, especially at first just to get used to everything. A healthy 400+whp is no slouch especially compared to stage 2!

Another option is pump+meth. Thats what I run in the b5, its almost a necessity with our shitty west coast (I wish I could run meth on the RS4 [=(]). It will help give you fantastic consistency, a nice bump in power as you can run more boost and timing, better MPG's over e85, and everywhere has gasoline.

Not that any of us are concerned about MPGs though, but even stage 3 s4's do considerably well given how much power they are capable of producing. I get anywhere between 250-280 miles to the tank and might fill up meth once every two tanks of fuel. Rs4 gets maybe 200 miles to the tank if I'm lucky.

Anyways the project is coming along nicely. Keep going at a steady rate and do everything right the first time around.

gmdiluca
05-17-2016, 05:49 AM
Looking good boss

y3ti
05-17-2016, 07:24 AM
he still hasn't posted turbo pics... This whole thing is probably fake.

christianb5s4
05-17-2016, 08:25 AM
Wow the trans turned out awesome!! Can't wait to se this thing ripping

Can't wait to check your car out either! Going to be a fun drive to Vejas that's for sure!

Another option is pump+meth. Thats what I run in the b5, its almost a necessity with our shitty west coast (I wish I could run meth on the RS4 [=(]). It will help give you fantastic consistency, a nice bump in power as you can run more boost and timing, better MPG's over e85, and everywhere has gasoline.

Not that any of us are concerned about MPGs though, but even stage 3 s4's do considerably well given how much power they are capable of producing. I get anywhere between 250-280 miles to the tank and might fill up meth once every two tanks of fuel. Rs4 gets maybe 200 miles to the tank if I'm lucky.

Anyways the project is coming along nicely. Keep going at a steady rate and do everything right the first time around.

I do appreciate the benefits of meth, only thing I've been concerned with is that it's another failure point having a meth system. Which system do you use? The limitations of running E85 full time in terms of worrying about finding it on a trip along with the much fuel mileage is certainly a big consideration and are not drawbacks when going with meth.

Looking good boss

Thank you sir, finally joining you guys!

he still hasn't posted turbo pics... This whole thing is probably fake.

Shhhh.

xalents23
05-17-2016, 11:20 AM
Once you get a taste of E85 you're going to hate 91.

christianb5s4
05-17-2016, 11:28 AM
That's what I'm fearful of, problem is it's not practical for road trips yet due to availability.

xalents23
05-17-2016, 12:12 PM
That's what I'm fearful of, problem is it's not practical for road trips yet due to availability.

You should try and get a switchable tune if you can with your tuner. It helps when going on long drives and when E85 is not avaliable.

02nms4
05-17-2016, 12:45 PM
You should try and get a switchable tune if you can with your tuner. It helps when going on long drives and when E85 is not avaliable.
Thinking of the same thing, how does this work, through the cruise switch or do we need a computer/tablet?

christianb5s4
05-17-2016, 01:01 PM
I will have a switchable tune, transitioning from E85 to 91 is easy on the motor/tune but going from 91 to E85 you basically have to drain the tank. So not as simple as just switching the tune in my opinion.

Side note, ordered new OZ ultraleggeras and Hankook Ventus V12 evo2s.

MetalMan
05-17-2016, 01:21 PM
I will have a switchable tune... going from 91 to E85 you basically have to drain the tank...

When I switched, I drove past the low-fuel light to the gas station. Filled up with E85, and let it idle for a short time to clear out most of the 91. Then switched tunes. Took it easy for the next day or 2 and filled up with E85 again to further dilute whatever 91 remained. It's been smooth sailing since! (aside from dead fuel pump and many revisions to get cold start / warmup to run well)

Alternatively I suppose you could hot-wire the fuel pump and completely drain it without much difficulty. Would just need a way to fill up with E85 at that point, of course.

Side note, ordered new OZ ultraleggeras and Hankook Ventus V12 evo2s.

Man you've been reaching deep into your pockets!

christianb5s4
05-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Ha, I told Justin this too. But I would rather spend extra money and get into the car and be like wow this is a different car. Vs skimping on some things and knowing certain things are still letting it down or should have been taken care of.

jballou
05-17-2016, 01:55 PM

Get 2 of these.....http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81Z5yrj5IGL._SL1500_.jpg

and belt them in in the back seat like I do....BOOOOOM!!! Peace.....out. [mic drop]

CJ_
05-17-2016, 03:18 PM
Can't wait to check your car out either! Going to be a fun drive to Vejas that's for sure!

Yeah man, Right now I'm debating on if I'm going to be able to drive it out.. Im leaving for a week long cruise on friday and as of right now the transmission is still leaking and making noises. Im thinking I may just switch my focus to getting it detailed and show ready and u-haul it out there, then deal with the transmission when I get back.

Unless I can find a cheap transmission in the next day lol

christianb5s4
05-17-2016, 04:13 PM
Ha, well I'm sure even on 91 my mind will be blown already after coming from stage 2 and never having a truly fast car. Get the car dialed in on pump, broken in, then E85 it up.

sherbet
05-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Not sure if this has been addressed yet, but who is behind the ETspec tune?

christianb5s4
05-17-2016, 05:03 PM
A few people, but Blake Beadle does the tuning. He was very close partners with Daz, they are great at what they do. I've bought a bunch of stuff through them.

christianb5s4
05-18-2016, 09:12 AM
Shout out to Cinesnow for meeting up last night and bringing his wastegate lines, they really are a work of art and very very well crafted. I'd recommend them to anyone over stock lines.

jballou
05-18-2016, 09:48 AM
http://www.temeculavalleymotoringenthusiasts.com/wp-content/gallery/misc/img_20160517_194715-medium.jpg

http://www.temeculavalleymotoringenthusiasts.com/wp-content/gallery/misc/img_20160517_195218-medium.jpg?i=1593994516

axnjaksn
05-18-2016, 10:59 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! looks awesome

christianb5s4
05-18-2016, 11:55 AM
Awesome pictures Justin, thank you!

MilwaukeeS4
05-22-2016, 04:34 PM
So how's it coming along?

christianb5s4
05-23-2016, 08:58 AM
Update is that the engine and transmission are officially back in the car, thanks to Justin for the hard work and pictures. Coordinating with him on when the car will be ready to pick up!

New heater core supply and return hose couplers:

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Engine19_zpsjafefpnl.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Engine20_zps54ji9nyz.jpg

Inlets:

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Engine10_zpsvrlbin9z.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Engine6_zpsxf30rivi.jpg

Cinesnow's wastegate lines:

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Engine9_zpsurgrppgw.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Engine3_zpsdr8syqmh.jpg

JHM goodies on the AA rebuilt trans w/ JHM 4:1 diff:

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Engine16_zpstzn2qxel.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Engine13_zps6uu9rc1s.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Engine14_zpsnwedkj8s.jpg

And complete engine back in the car!

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Engine17_zpsvimsykyb.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Engine18_zpsxafi8z22.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Engine12_zpsyzdpchic.jpg

MyXbfS4
05-23-2016, 10:18 AM
That seriously looks amazing, it just makes me want to see your car even more now[emoji20] lol

88ninety9
05-23-2016, 10:56 AM
Damnit, I hate my garage...

christianb5s4
05-23-2016, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys! Justin's garage is definitely money, unfortunately we hit a snag on the new battery/alternator cable harness. My car being an early 2001 build, the harness ordered was not the right one and the soonest I could get the right one is 7-10 days from Germany which is too far outside the time frame as the car needs to be done in the next few days. Will reuse the original one which is not in bad shape.

vavJETTAw36
05-23-2016, 07:31 PM
Bosch vs vaico harness, yea?

christianb5s4
05-24-2016, 09:42 AM
It was the positive battery cable and alternator harness, both Bosch I believe. But there are two versions:

V1: Connects the positive battery terminal to the alternator
From VIN 8D-Y-192889, split is in the 2000 model year

V2: Connects the positive battery terminal to the alternator
Up to VIN 8D-Y-192888, split is in the 2000 model year

I bought V1 and that was incorrect, even though the V2 was supposedly only for 2001.5s hence why I got V1.

christianb5s4
05-24-2016, 12:03 PM
New battery, can't beat the specs and 5 year full warranty for $130.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160523_191406_zps7cci1rqm.jpg

MetalMan
05-24-2016, 12:27 PM
Duralast batteries FTW haha. Except my A4 has the ~$180 version I believe. Really hope that if it decides to go, it does so well within the full-warranty period.

S4 00 2.7
05-24-2016, 12:37 PM
why not get the AGM from duralast?

I bought the Gold too a few years ago but going AGM next time.

christianb5s4
05-24-2016, 01:10 PM
They didn't have the AGM available at the location I went to, the old battery was a normal Duralast and that worked great until the alarm decided to go off one night a year ago and killed the battery. It never recovered, that was just the normal Duralast with lower specs than the Gold and less of a warranty.

Also paid for the tune so that's ready to go when the car is ready to start up.

S4 00 2.7
05-24-2016, 01:20 PM
Gold is pretty tough. one time I let my car sit for almost 3 months- no battery tender or anything. when I needed to start the car it turned over without hesitation. I then charged my battery for a couple hours before driving it and never had a problem.

christianb5s4
05-24-2016, 01:36 PM
I hope the one I got is that good, at least these batteries never have to deal with extreme temperature and weather being in Socal.

Audimilo
05-24-2016, 04:30 PM
NICE!

reminds me a lot of my build. you are going to love this.

christianb5s4
05-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Thank you sir, my goal was to do this properly and not skimp on anything. I am beyond anxious to get the car back, hurry Justin!

vavJETTAw36
05-24-2016, 07:38 PM
It was the positive battery cable and alternator harness, both Bosch I believe. But there are two versions:

V1: Connects the positive battery terminal to the alternator
From VIN 8D-Y-192889, split is in the 2000 model year

V2: Connects the positive battery terminal to the alternator
Up to VIN 8D-Y-192888, split is in the 2000 model year

I bought V1 and that was incorrect, even though the V2 was supposedly only for 2001.5s hence why I got V1.

When I recently did a alternator, the 2001.5 used a vaico alternator and connector was made for it. The other alternator was a bosh unit with a completely different connector.

jballou
05-25-2016, 09:05 AM
http://www.temeculavalleymotoringenthusiasts.com/wp-content/gallery/misc/img_20160525_000505-medium.jpg

Nothing to see....move along.

christianb5s4
05-25-2016, 09:13 AM
What can be seen there is the hours of work you've put in sir.

JKnight41
05-25-2016, 09:27 AM
I like how he casually took the engine out and put it back in your car and you could still eat off of his garage floor... My garage would look like someone Allahu Akbar'd my toolbox.. And there would be a flash flood warning for the amount of random fluids and chemicals on the floor.

jballou
05-25-2016, 09:35 AM
I like how he casually took the engine out and put it back in your car and you could still eat off of his garage floor... My garage would look like someone Allahu Akbar'd my toolbox.. And there would be a flash flood warning for the amount of random fluids and chemicals on the floor.

Fluid retention system

http://www.temeculavalleymotoringenthusiasts.com/wp-content/gallery/misc/img_20160515_153656-medium.jpg

gmdiluca
05-25-2016, 09:42 AM
Fluid retention system

http://www.temeculavalleymotoringenthusiasts.com/wp-content/gallery/misc/img_20160515_153656-medium.jpg

Lmfao innovative[emoji1360]

christianb5s4
05-25-2016, 11:17 AM

I almost spit my water out at that, too funny.

christianb5s4
05-26-2016, 08:18 AM
Got to check the car out last night and pick up the old wheels and tires, car is mostly together. Had to pick up a K&N filter for the RS4 airbox on the way, hopefully first start will be tonight and will come up and load the tune on.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160525_220948_zpsuzb0lzfr.jpg

christianb5s4
05-27-2016, 07:32 AM
Got her started! Ran into some issues with tuning so I'm switching from the old RS4 MAF housing converted to Hitachi by Vast that we wanted to run to an OEM Bosch RS4 MAF to get things tuned. Videos because videos or it didn't happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0nl1xy0PXk&feature=em-upload_owner

JB5
05-27-2016, 07:51 AM
I Need a MaxJax

y3ti
05-29-2016, 09:17 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160529/385d0b458a97a82c6e892ca317ff7749.jpg

axnjaksn
05-29-2016, 10:29 AM
^^crying laughing

insomniacxp1
05-29-2016, 12:12 PM
Ya dude WTF!

christianb5s4
05-31-2016, 08:49 AM
You guys are too funny! So good news is the car is running well and has a solid base tune on it. Bad news is the new OEM slave cylinder is leaking and I cannot for the life of me find a Bosch connector and wiring leads since I went from a Hitachi MAF to a Bosch RS4 maf.

Will have to go to a pick your part place today to try and find a car I can cut the connector off of unless you guys have one.

vavJETTAw36
05-31-2016, 08:51 AM
You guys are too funny! So good news is the car is running well and has a solid base tune on it. Bad news is the new OEM slave cylinder is leaking and I cannot for the life of me find a Bosch connector and wiring leads since I went from a Hitachi MAF to a Bosch RS4 maf.

Will have to go to a pick your part place today to try and find a car I can cut the connector off of unless you guys have one.

wheres the slave leaking from?

S4gasm aka LOTR
05-31-2016, 09:05 AM

Regarding your rewire from hitachi to bosch. You'll need..

One of these:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Maf_Connector/ES4303/

5 of these:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/N90684405/ES470510/

And follow this diagram.
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/S4gasm99/boschrewire.jpg

christianb5s4
05-31-2016, 09:40 AM
wheres the slave leaking from?

We don't know yet, it appears to be coming from this area: Justin feel free to chime in if you see this as well.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/8E0721257M%20%20%20Clutch%20Slave%20Cylinder_zpsxn clme4a.png

Regarding your rewire from hitachi to bosch. You'll need..

One of these:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Maf_Connector/ES4303/

5 of these:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/N90684405/ES470510/

And follow this diagram.
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/S4gasm99/boschrewire.jpg

You're awesome, it's taken a while to find those parts. Such a small thing to cause a big issue. Will call the dealer and hopefully they have some.

CJ_
05-31-2016, 09:44 AM
If you have a junkyard by you, you can cut the pigtail off of any VW/Audi with a hitachi sensor, I got mine off of a 03 a6 3.0 I think and wired it up according to that chart

christianb5s4
05-31-2016, 09:47 AM
If you have a junkyard by you, you can cut the pigtail off of any VW/Audi with a hitachi sensor, I got mine off of a 03 a6 3.0 I think and wired it up according to that chart

I do have junkyards around me but it's really difficult to go since I can't leave the office for an hour and a half just to pull a connector and wire at a junkyard unfortunately.

christianb5s4
05-31-2016, 01:16 PM
Ordered those connectors for the connector from ECS, I have officially spent a small fortune in next day shipping. Justin is tearing into the car tonight to look at the leak so fingers crossed that will be fixed tonight.

y3ti
05-31-2016, 01:20 PM
ECS should offer ECS Prime.

christianb5s4
05-31-2016, 02:37 PM
Ha, seriously they are one of the best when it comes to having all kinds of hard to find or uncommon OEM parts but I have spent a ton on expedited shipping. Part of the issue is the time frame I'm working with that's forcing me to do fast shipping.

Gabe.
05-31-2016, 05:29 PM
Hey, for future oem parts orders check out http://genuineaudiparts.com/

They ship out of San Diego so most stuff arrives next day without having to pay more for shipping.

Looking forward to seeing this thing when it's all done! We should have a B5 meetup one of these days.

christianb5s4
05-31-2016, 05:32 PM
Awesome, thanks for letting me know! I've searched for parts on there before but they weren't in stock. Good to know they are in SD!

Gabe.
05-31-2016, 05:37 PM
Awesome, thanks for letting me know! I've searched for parts on there before but they weren't in stock. Good to know they are in SD!

No prob! I usually search for parts on ECS, grab the part #, and then look it up on GenuineAudiParts or BMA Parts.

RocksForsSale
05-31-2016, 07:46 PM
Does that drivers side kick panel just pull out? I broke mine by accident thing it just slid forward. It was fastened in there pretty solid but I didn't see any screws. I just broke mine and saw that you repaired that.

christianb5s4
06-01-2016, 09:00 AM
The car is home! Big big thanks to Justin for working so hard to get the car done, besides a few hiccups everything worked out relatively smoothly barring a few rush parts orders and unforeseen issues. Car is running on a ~10psi base tune and it's already faster than my full dialed in stage 2 was, just need to drive it around and get the car completely broken in. The car feels very healthy and night and day with all the issues that were fixed during the build (not to mention the stage 3 goodies).

Side note, has anyone had issues with a rebuilt trans that had sat for a few months and is noisy? My rebuilt transmission is pretty loud, hoping it'll settle down after driving it for a while. It has fresh Fuchs Sintofluid in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JwOV3Ldiv0

christianb5s4
06-01-2016, 02:03 PM
Alright, got a question for you guys. After putting the car back together and driving it around, Justin and I noted a loud whine that seems to be coming from the center diff which is a JHM 4:1 unit. Justin has seen this before when transmissions sit for a little while which this one did prior to me purchasing it and the noise subsided after putting a good amount of miles on it.

- It varies with speed, not rpm
- Happens when I'm at part throttle, just enough throttle to keep the car at a constant speed on flat road
- Gearbox completely redone by Advanced Automation with OEM Audi components 3,000 miles ago
- Trans has fresh Fuchs Sintofluid filled to correct level
- Gearbox shifts great hot and cold

Does anyone have insight into what could cause this? From research, it seems that the center diff is what's causing this noise. In the video, I purposely sat in 6th gear at 50-55mph where it seems to be loudest to show the issue. You can also see towards the end that once I give it some gas, it lessens dramatically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOeryIjBnho

xalents23
06-01-2016, 03:10 PM
I say suspend your car in the air with jacks or go to Justin's place and use his Max Jax and have someone drive it while one person looks for the noise from below. That noise does not sound good. Sounds like something is binding to me.[confused]

axnjaksn
06-01-2016, 03:24 PM
yea, suspend it up off the ground and have someone in the car replicate the constant speed in which you hear it best at, then have someone else underneath searching for the noise. best way to narrow it down. that is pretty loud. Are you sure its full, after driving it you checked the fluid level. maybe drain and refill with fresh fluid just to be safe??

christianb5s4
06-01-2016, 03:41 PM
I have to go to Justin's tonight anyway, I'll see if I can convince him to let us check that out. Definitely will check the fluid level, and it's got 100% fresh Sintofluid in it. Same goes for the rear diff. CJ_ has the same issue and his setup is identical, JHM 4:1 diff.

Could also be the bearing at the end of the center diff by the driveshaft as I've read those can go bad or make noise if the trans wasn't used for a while.

vavJETTAw36
06-01-2016, 05:35 PM
yea, suspend it up off the ground and have someone in the car replicate the constant speed in which you hear it best at, then have someone else underneath searching for the noise. best way to narrow it down. that is pretty loud. Are you sure its full, after driving it you checked the fluid level. maybe drain and refill with fresh fluid just to be safe??

This and a mechanics stethoscope

CJ_
06-01-2016, 09:01 PM
I suspended mine and and put it in third to try to find the sound and it was hard to pinpoint, would definatley help with a stethoscope.

I did however just completely take apart my transmission and rebuilt everything again. There were no signs of worn bearings, no metal on the magnets or in the fluid. My guess is either the rear bearing or the center diff

christianb5s4
06-02-2016, 09:09 AM
We've narrowed down the noise to the center diff, which is supposed to be a JHM unit. They are easy enough to swap out which I will do with Justin if the noise doesn't get better in the next 1,000 miles, the rear bearing however I am not sure how that is replaced.

If the transmission sits for a while however, that rear bearing can certainly go bad as it's not good to let these trans sit unused for extended periods of time.

Besides that, car is running great and has 230 miles on the build! I cannot wait to load a revised tune on and start feeling these turbos come to life.

Drehmoment
06-02-2016, 11:40 AM
Unless a transmission sits on a porch outside on a beach for years the chances of it failing while just sitting inside in a somehow normal climate is slim to none or basically none. One could argue old Dino fluid could cause some galling but the Oem fill up is castrol synthetic.....again non usage of a gearbox ain't doing damage

christianb5s4
06-02-2016, 12:32 PM
Well that's exactly what happened, the transmission sat on a patio by the ocean in Malibu for a year or two prior to my purchase. Unfortunately I did not know it had sat that long until just yesterday.

Drehmoment
06-02-2016, 12:43 PM
Yeah Salt and high humidity does brutal things to metal ,sucks big time what that retarded seller did

Gabe.
06-02-2016, 03:28 PM
I mirror what a few of the others guys have said. After a few miles drain and refill the fluid.

I used Fuchs Sintofluid too, BMA parts has it if you haven't found a local source.

christianb5s4
06-02-2016, 03:42 PM
Well good news is Scotty has those rear bearings and seal so I'll be doing that when Justin and I swap out the diff for a new JHM unit along with fresh fluid. Shame, the transmission shifts so nicely hot or cold. Just the noisy rear diff and/or bearing ruining it.

Jism
06-02-2016, 04:32 PM
That noise = certerdiff bearing. Had me on my RS4 B5 as well. Swapped it out with a used one, new fresh oil and it was completely gone.

christianb5s4
06-06-2016, 07:25 AM
Jism, that's the one at the end of the center diff housing right? In between the diff and the driveshaft? Took the car to Vegas and back this weekend for Wuste, car ran faultlessly in 110 degree temperature loaded up with the AC on blast at 85+mph. I need to order the innovate wideband so I can start revising my tune, is this everything I need?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QFH2S6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3E18DSSZ8NBY9&coliid=I2RYCLV8PGLQNA

Side note, launch control is so addicting. Makes you smile when that 2 step starts going off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UqodPY6PTs

axnjaksn
06-06-2016, 10:27 AM
I purchased my innovate off ebay, appx $160 with gauge and everything needed to hook it up. lear70 has a post here somewhere I even think I can find the link if you need it, explaings how to wire it all up so it runs through the factory stuff to make loggin easy

jballou
06-06-2016, 12:06 PM
Jism, that's the one at the end of the center diff housing right? In between the diff and the driveshaft? Took the car to Vegas and back this weekend for Wuste, car ran faultlessly in 110 degree temperature loaded up with the AC on blast at 85+mph. I need to order the innovate wideband so I can start revising my tune, is this everything I need?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QFH2S6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3E18DSSZ8NBY9&coliid=I2RYCLV8PGLQNA

Side note, launch control is so addicting. Makes you smile when that 2 step starts going off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UqodPY6PTs

Weeeeeak sauce. [drive]

Corradovolksb
06-06-2016, 12:11 PM
Cars looking great man. I would highly recommend you get the AEM wideband it's easy to set up and matches the red dash lights.

christianb5s4
06-06-2016, 12:49 PM
I think I found it! http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/677367-Help-on-B5-S4-Innovate-LC-2-Wideband-Installation. I'll check that out, definitely need to get this done so I can revise the tune and start getting things dialed in with the car being fully broken in now. The pictures Lear posted are very helpful, good thing I saved my rear o2s.

Missed you in Vegas corrado, I was bummed CJ had so much trouble with his car. Which AEM gauge are you referring to?

And again, many thanks to Mr. Ballou for building the car great. [hail]

xalents23
06-06-2016, 01:54 PM
The Innovate Motorsports DB RED LC2 Wideband Air Fuel gauge matches the interior pretty well. But, it's up to you on which gauge you want.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a131/xalents23/My%20B5%20S4%20Stage%203%20Build/0089F7ED-5C23-4087-B4A0-E7F07878F831.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/xalents23/media/My%20B5%20S4%20Stage%203%20Build/0089F7ED-5C23-4087-B4A0-E7F07878F831.jpg.html)

christianb5s4
06-06-2016, 02:03 PM
I have the AWE gauge too, that looks great. I'm set on getting that one, you used the PODI steering column mount?

CJ_
06-06-2016, 02:34 PM
Not sure if you saw mine in Vegas, but I have the Podi analog AFR gauge that I really like. Its red with a white needle and matches the stock gauges perfectly.

If you're interested, Heres the link:

http://www.podi.ca/podi-classic-white-needle-52mm-electronic-stepper-motor-afr-gauge-kit/

02nms4
06-06-2016, 02:45 PM
I also have the Innovate DB gauge and LC2, this is the second vehicle I run it on, works great and matches perfect. my buddy runs the innovate mtx on his s4 and the green/red/yellow ring around the digital reading gets annoying for me just taking it out for a ride, He says he hates that at night even with the dimmer wired in.. problem is on that gauge you need to run it as the controller is built into the gauge not the LC2 like the DB series

xalents23
06-06-2016, 03:22 PM
I have the AWE gauge too, that looks great. I'm set on getting that one, you used the PODI steering column mount?

Yeah, Podi steering mount.

Corradovolksb
06-06-2016, 03:31 PM
Yah I'm bummed I missed wŁste again it I'll try and make it next year. CJs car will be all good soon he has been working hard to figure out what's going on and helping where I can.
To each his own for sure. The sweeping lights don't bother me and it acts as a good secondary gauge to the actual AFR numbers. I like that it's all one unit and you just need to run the harness to the o2 sensor. The only bummer about it is that you have to use their proprietary o2 sensor.

christianb5s4
06-06-2016, 04:12 PM
Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the Innovate LC2 and wire it into the factory green secondary o2 harness. Can't wait to unleash the full potential of this setup now that the car is fully broken in! Good news is that even after 750 miles, everything runs great with no codes and LTFTs are +/- 2% across the board.

Corrado, that would be awesome if you made it. I know CJ appreciates the help, bummer I couldn't hang more with him before we had to leave Sunday.

Drehmoment
06-06-2016, 05:37 PM
Are you sure you want the gauge and not just the bare LC2 ? I find the flickering highly annoying while driving at night

christianb5s4
06-06-2016, 05:47 PM
I guess it's only for tuning purposes but it seems like it would be wise to have a gauge to check on the car. So it would just be this then correct?

http://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Motorsports-Digital-Wideband-Controller/dp/B00FFTAJPC

Drehmoment
06-06-2016, 06:07 PM
Looks like it's the same without the gauge

02nms4
06-06-2016, 09:32 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Motorsports-Wideband-Gauge-Bosch/dp/B001QFH2S6

This is the one with the gauge in red. Only about $20 more.

Quick question, saw on your signature you have the jhm trio. How do you like it?

christianb5s4
06-07-2016, 08:20 AM
Thanks Drehmoment, you da man.

I actually really like the JHM trio, the car came with the JHM short shifter but did not have the solid linkage, stabilizer arm or bushing. Installed those last 3 during the build and it tightened up the shifting by a lot. More precise, throws are significantly shorter than with just the SS alone, and it's not overly notchy/difficult to get in gear.

Here's a couple pictures from Wuste, got some decent ones excluding a few R rated pics my gf demanded I take.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Wuste16/DSC_5914_zpsgwm0r4sb.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Wuste16/DSC_5903_zpsnkhym9rx.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Wuste16/DSC_5948_zpsafyhv07o.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Wuste16/DSC_5906_zpsvfrbklcb.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/Wuste16/DSC_5998_zpsd6jzovsi.jpg

gmdiluca
06-07-2016, 08:27 AM
Which wire do I splice into on the harness? I tried to so the same but the logs look all funky. I'm wondering if I go the wrong one. Also not a fan of all the gauges.... So I bought a STE PPD to monitor AFR and other things

insomniacxp1
06-07-2016, 08:57 AM
Moar pic's of dem 36 C's baby

christianb5s4
06-07-2016, 09:20 AM
This thread has a ton of info, I'll be using this to do the wideband install Luca.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/677367-Help-on-B5-S4-Innovate-LC-2-Wideband-Installation?p=11185373&viewfull=1#post11185373

axnjaksn
06-07-2016, 09:59 AM
there ya go, that's the thread he needs!!!

jballou
06-07-2016, 10:04 AM
Just make sure when you splice the wires that you use quality connectors or a very good solder job.

christianb5s4
06-07-2016, 10:29 AM
Thanks Justin, I'll try soldering then heatshrink tubing. Might enlist the help of MetalMan since he's a wizard at that stuff!

gmdiluca
06-07-2016, 11:10 AM
This thread has a ton of info, I'll be using this to do the wideband install Luca.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/677367-Help-on-B5-S4-Innovate-LC-2-Wideband-Installation?p=11185373&viewfull=1#post11185373

Thanks. I've already installed my Zeitronix ZT2 as per my build thread. The only issue we had was getting it to communicate through the Ecu as the narrowband does. We tried splicing a wire initially but we just get erroneous data. Going to check we used the right signal wire. Until now we used the Zeitronix software to log AFR when doing revisions, which is a very good program actually.

Cheers

christianb5s4
06-07-2016, 11:47 AM
Ah I see, if you used the wrong white wire to connect in the wideband to the ECU I don't think you would have gotten any data so that's weird.

JKnight41
06-07-2016, 01:41 PM
I hope to god that's not shitty window tint in the last picture :(

coolgraymemo
06-07-2016, 01:46 PM
a few R rated pics my gf demanded I take.

brb - downloading internet explorer since they didn't come up on chrome.

Audi9
06-07-2016, 01:52 PM
I hope to god that's not shitty window tint in the last picture :(

LOL I was thinking the same thing after I saw the pic

christianb5s4
06-07-2016, 04:30 PM
It's shitty window tint because I had to wait until I installed the two new imola doors I have to replaced the damaged driver's side ones before I got new tint, which I didn't have time to do prior to Wuste. Stage 3 build had to get done, priorities ya know. Can't have it all at once unfortunately.

New tint and the doors are going to be done this month don't you worry.

vavJETTAw36
06-07-2016, 04:39 PM
It's shitty window tint because I had to wait until I installed the two new imola doors I have to replaced the damaged driver's side ones before I got new tint, which I didn't have time to do prior to Wuste. Stage 3 build had to get done, priorities ya know. Can't have it all at once unfortunately.

New tint and the doors are going to be done this month don't you worry.

You doin the tint?

I did it once. Turned out ok but it is really hard. And that was with the windows out of the doors. If I ever do it again it's going to a pro.

SomeDayAS4
06-07-2016, 05:33 PM
brb - downloading internet explorer since they didn't come up on chrome.

hahahhaa

88ninety9
06-08-2016, 06:55 AM
You doin the tint?

I did it once. Turned out ok but it is really hard. And that was with the windows out of the doors. If I ever do it again it's going to a pro.

Nonsense, tint isn't too bad. The back window SUCKS. Out of the car.....easy peasy

I like the black spoiler, contrasts the car well

Kudos to christian, followed rule 22 without even having to be called on it lol [up]

christianb5s4
06-08-2016, 09:09 AM
I'm not doing the tint, I will bring it to Eurocode tuning! They have a tinting division Eurovision and they do great work plus with the forum discount price, it's hard to beat.

Haha, rule 22. You've got to follow the rules you know, plus I can't believe there's an Urban dictionary page for it lol. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Rule%2FLaw%20%2322

christianb5s4
06-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Well, one of the few things that I didn't replace during the build is coming back to bite me in the ass. Turns out the 110 degree Vegas temperatures and lower temp after run sensor did in my OE aux water pump, ordering a new Bosch pump and OEM hoses. Woohoo.

hello
06-09-2016, 02:00 PM
What oil temps were you seeing on the way to Vegas and the way back?

christianb5s4
06-09-2016, 02:44 PM
With the AC blasting, a passenger, 100+ degrees, 80+mph cruising, and car loaded with stuff, I never saw more than 230-235 for oil temps even after going up the mountains. Coolant temp gauge never budged from center either.

hello
06-09-2016, 04:07 PM
With the AC blasting, a passenger, 100+ degrees, 80+mph cruising, and car loaded with stuff, I never saw more than 230-235 for oil temps even after going up the mountains. Coolant temp gauge never budged from center either.

Thanks. Do you have an external oil cooler?

christianb5s4
06-09-2016, 04:46 PM
Nope, but the car has an almost new OEM radiator in it.

hello
06-09-2016, 06:17 PM
Alright thanks. I have a new OEM radiator too but see temps around 235-240ish in 90+ degrees. I'm planning to install a EOC to help lower the temps.

y3ti
06-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Alright thanks. I have a new OEM radiator too but see temps around 235-240ish in 90+ degrees. I'm planning to install a EOC to help lower the temps.
what oil are you running? that could be the difference you're seeing. Mobil 1 runs like 10* hotter than T6 in my experience.

hello
06-09-2016, 07:13 PM
what oil are you running? that could be the difference you're seeing. Mobil 1 runs like 10* hotter than T6 in my experience.

I'm currently using Mobil 1 0W40 and get the same temps using Castrol Edge 5W40. Weird, I've read that T6 runs hotter.

y3ti
06-09-2016, 07:21 PM
that is weird... i was on Mobil 1 5w-40 and noticed the temp increase right away.

I just did an oil change w/ T6 last week, but I'll try Mobil 1 again after this run and see what happens.

christianb5s4
06-10-2016, 08:39 AM
I'm running Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Oil 5w-40, I haven't noticed a difference with oil temps after switching from Rotella T6.

Alright, so I'm having some issues with the car that have all the hallmarks of a boost or vacuum leak. Driving back from the office yesterday, I got on boost a bit in 3rd gear then pulled up to a stoplight where the car felt like it didn't want to idle and the vacuum jumped from the normal 21 in hgs at idle to 17-18. As soon as I got home, I unplugged the MAF and it instantly ran better plus I could hear a boost leak when I'd get on boost after the idle started stumbling.

Had two codes, rich condition on both banks. I stayed up way too late spraying every boost hose I could get to with soapy water and hitting every vacuum line with MAF cleaner to see if idle changed. Couldn't find anything, I don't have a boost leak tester so I'm waiting to get access to one. Also swapped a new N75 on and no change.

Lastly, requested boost is 300mbars higher than actual. Is there anything else I should look into?

I'm going to do a DIY smoke test, but have a question: what line do I blow the smoke into?

christianb5s4
06-10-2016, 03:01 PM
Marc (Cinesnow) and I are going to diagnose the vacuum leak tomorrow, we are going to pressure test the wastegate lines and see if there's anything going on with the rest of the system through a pressure test. Also, thank you JHM for rushing all this stuff over to me.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160610_144059_zps6fok3smc.jpg

Devious27t
06-12-2016, 11:12 PM
I'm running Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Oil 5w-40, I haven't noticed a difference with oil temps after switching from Rotella T6.

Alright, so I'm having some issues with the car that have all the hallmarks of a boost or vacuum leak. Driving back from the office yesterday, I got on boost a bit in 3rd gear then pulled up to a stoplight where the car felt like it didn't want to idle and the vacuum jumped from the normal 21 in hgs at idle to 17-18. As soon as I got home, I unplugged the MAF and it instantly ran better plus I could hear a boost leak when I'd get on boost after the idle started stumbling.

Had two codes, rich condition on both banks. I stayed up way too late spraying every boost hose I could get to with soapy water and hitting every vacuum line with MAF cleaner to see if idle changed. Couldn't find anything, I don't have a boost leak tester so I'm waiting to get access to one. Also swapped a new N75 on and no change.

Lastly, requested boost is 300mbars higher than actual. Is there anything else I should look into?

I'm going to do a DIY smoke test, but have a question: what line do I blow the smoke into?

Do not smoke test a boosted car. You need to run a pressurized test to find the leak. I always use a hose up to my ear to search around the engine bay. Let me know if you're struggling and I can help you.

christianb5s4
06-13-2016, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the info Austin, we ended up pressure testing the car with a normal boost leak tester. Turned out on of the wastegate supply lines had a loose AN fitting so Marc and I got that settled and also replaced the auxiliary coolant pump/IM gaskets at the same time. If anyone is installing the low temp afterrun sensor in the car and hasn't taken care of the aux pump yet, do it. It will be worked much harder and likely leak if it's original. Got the car re-tuned for now prior to getting the wideband installed so we can turn the boost up and really go to town.

Huge thanks to Marc for the help, I've never seen so many B5/C5s in one spot besides Wuste ha. His car is a beast as well.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160611_134806_zps2ym178vb.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160611_134817_zpslzibld14.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160611_134911_zpsl5xff5mn.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160611_134830_zpshi91b1cn.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160611_134835_zpsyyxhh1er.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160611_161211_zps2uawutgf.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160611_161217_zpsaau8pkdx.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160611_175921_zps6hlsr5ad.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160611_175925_zpsw4tsx5lo.jpg

Ticked over 303K miles as well on the way to Lake Arrowhead.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160611_123519_zpssktbxwvl.jpg

Audimilo
06-13-2016, 01:00 PM
^ YESS!!!!!!!!

sherbet
06-13-2016, 02:56 PM
Quick question, saw on your signature you have the jhm trio. How do you like it?

Figured I'd chime in since I have the trio as well- I've heard mixed things, some people love it, some hate it. I personally love it, the shifts are super solid and notchy. If you like the way the stock shifter feels but want to just shorten the throw, you may not like the trio. I've got an 11 lb. flywheel and 034 motorsport line mounts everywhere, so the feel of everything (stiff mounts, fast dropping revs, etc...) matches up nicely.

02nms4
06-13-2016, 03:04 PM
Figured I'd chime in since I have the trio as well- I've heard mixed things, some people love it, some hate it. I personally love it, the shifts are super solid and notchy. If you like the way the stock shifter feels but want to just shorten the throw, you may not like the trio. I've got an 11 lb. flywheel and 034 motorsport line mounts everywhere, so the feel of everything (stiff mounts, fast dropping revs, etc...) matches up nicely.
Awesome thanks for the feedback guys, I pulled the trigger and after noticed the cross rod ball bushing was the only thing left so I ordered it. It's all im waiting for the drop it in. Christian I'm doing a very similar build so I'm taking your honest advice on parts man, great build, can't wait to see it rip![emoji106] http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160613/fbfdd4d0c1950b8c00a9e8d872e9ec98.jpg

02nms4
06-13-2016, 03:13 PM
Christian also took your advice on the wastegate lines, great quality but I just received them and think I got a wrong you fitting on the actuator lines. Too small on the ends where the lines screw on..

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160613/2449dae30fd069b44a353da5e2fb4162.jpgSent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

christianb5s4
06-13-2016, 03:46 PM
PM Cinesnow on here, he is the brainchild behind them and can help you out. He's also in the process of putting together an installation guide, he will definitely help you figure it out.

christianb5s4
06-16-2016, 08:15 AM
Waiting for the wideband to arrive today, might install it tonight or tomorrow depending on when I leave the office and get packed for Lake Havasu. So excited to really unleash the power now that I'll be able to log A/F, tuning for 91 first then hop over to E85 and tune for that. Pics for attention.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160616_081210_zpsvtdymfvm.jpg

gmdiluca
06-16-2016, 09:32 AM
Sweet! I always get excited when I go for some tuning. You can really tell the difference. Unfortunately last night while tuning I blew off a lower intercooler hose off.... Sucked we were just starting to get more aggressive with the tune. Oh well until next time

christianb5s4
06-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Awe man, that's a bummer! At least you know what the issue was, easy fix. I'm so excited, it should arrive today and since the GF won't be over, I'll try and install it tonight. Would be awesome to get that in and maybe revise the tune tomorrow. The lack of patience is strong.

christianb5s4
06-17-2016, 09:00 AM
Finally able to start tuning now, got my Innovate LC2 yesterday and installed it in the car. It's setup just for logging right now, I'll have to find a way to connect the gauge later but I'm super excited. Signal wire is connected to the old rear o2 sensor harness for logging, also got my turboboostleak tester.

Had a weird glitch happen today, was reversing into my spot at the office and after letting the clutch out parked, idle started moving around a bit and vacuum went from the normal 20-21hg to 18/19. Did not change clutch in or out. Restarted the car and it was back to normal, MAF readings were perfect (4.5g/sec), fuel trims are good, and there are zero boost/vacuum leaks after testing it last weekend and fixing every single leak with Cinesnow. Just weird glitch?

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160616_194630_zpsr6c4h2rj.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160616_212326_zpsld3kgxah.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160617_001555_zpsdqr5iuxw.jpg

Audi9
06-17-2016, 01:08 PM
Finally able to start tuning now, got my Innovate LC2 yesterday and installed it in the car. It's setup just for logging right now, I'll have to find a way to connect the gauge later but I'm super excited. Signal wire is connected to the old rear o2 sensor harness for logging, also got my turboboostleak tester.

Had a weird glitch happen today, was reversing into my spot at the office and after letting the clutch out parked, idle started moving around a bit and vacuum went from the normal 20-21hg to 18/19. Did not change clutch in or out. Restarted the car and it was back to normal, MAF readings were perfect (4.5g/sec), fuel trims are good, and there are zero boost/vacuum leaks after testing it last weekend and fixing every single leak with Cinesnow. Just weird glitch?

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160616_194630_zpsr6c4h2rj.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160616_212326_zpsld3kgxah.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160617_001555_zpsdqr5iuxw.jpg

More info on the last pic please. Did you make that?

y3ti
06-17-2016, 01:12 PM
More info on the last pic please. Did you make that?

http://turboboostleaktesters.com/audi-s4-2-7t/

christianb5s4
06-17-2016, 01:56 PM
^Yup, that's what I ordered. Really good deal since it includes the gauge and y pipe cap amongst other things. I just used it today, found out my pancake valve took a dump and has been causing my vacuum leak issues.

vavJETTAw36
06-17-2016, 09:53 PM
You can make one for 15 bucks in 15 minutes tops. That's with quick set epoxy

christianb5s4
06-21-2016, 09:42 AM
I ordered a new spider hose assembly, but I have a significant leak in the driver's side turbo inlet area. I believe it's the inlet as the issue I'm having is vacuum not boost related, given that the car boosts fine but idle is crappy which indicates a vacuum leak. Does anyone have tips on how I can get at the inlet to try and fix the leak? It's the only leak left on the car.

Also, got the Podi gauge mount in and a proper pressure testing setup yesterday.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160620_192451_zps5fawmq1f.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160620_192442_zpsjdam8hz1.jpg

christianb5s4
06-23-2016, 08:42 AM
Got this to drive around for a while, letting the S4 sit until I make it out to Cinesnow's place Saturday to fix the leak. God I love these cars, almost bought it before the Audi and now highly considering buying it from my friend. That steering wheel would look fantastic in the S4 too.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160622_194022_zpsdgaysytp.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160622_211347_zpswj3nl8ac.jpg

vavJETTAw36
06-23-2016, 09:12 AM
I ordered a new spider hose assembly, but I have a significant leak in the driver's side turbo inlet area. I believe it's the inlet as the issue I'm having is vacuum not boost related, given that the car boosts fine but idle is crappy which indicates a vacuum leak. Does anyone have tips on how I can get at the inlet to try and fix the leak? It's the only leak left on the car.

Also, got the Podi gauge mount in and a proper pressure testing setup yesterday.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160620_192451_zps5fawmq1f.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160620_192442_zpsjdam8hz1.jpg

I personally would either make or buy a smoker (from ebay) first and hook it up to the inlet pipe that attaches to the vac hoses on the fuel line. Then youll be able to see EXACTLY where it is coming from. You can either make a really cheap one with a paint can, hoses, and incense sticks OR something fancier that connects to your battery and heats up a wick covered in baby oil. There are so manu variants out there. The p reassembled kit is on ebay for like 70 or so. You should be able to make it under $30. Im going to make one next week just for the hell of it.

Gabe.
06-23-2016, 09:46 AM

Did you use silicone couplers on the turbo inlet pipes? It's hard to tell on the pics with the gold foil wrap. If not, I suggest you do that. They are a bitch to get to but that was also the last leak my car had and it made a significant difference when everything was all proper.

christianb5s4
06-23-2016, 10:30 AM
I've made my own smoke tester using incense, a paint can, incense and a bike pump. Unfortunately it's difficult to see that area visually but I've confirmed after testing and retesting the leak is coming from that area without a doubt.

Gabe, I bought couplers to use to connect the inlets, Jballou did the work and he says he used silicone couplers. Marc and I will find out when we tear into it Saturday however, how did you end up getting access to the inlet?

Gabe.
06-23-2016, 10:51 AM
I've made my own smoke tester using incense, a paint can, incense and a bike pump. Unfortunately it's difficult to see that area visually but I've confirmed after testing and retesting the leak is coming from that area without a doubt.

Gabe, I bought couplers to use to connect the inlets, Jballou did the work and he says he used silicone couplers. Marc and I will find out when we tear into it Saturday however, how did you end up getting access to the inlet?

Hopefully you won't need to take the pipe all the way out. To get access to the area with the inlet pipe clamps, loosen the front sway bar mounts to swing the sway bar out of the way, support the engine, remove the drivers side engine mounting point. This should get you enough room to get your hands around the inlet but it's still not easy because the subframe is in the way.

wannabeS4
06-23-2016, 11:07 AM
Did you use silicone couplers on the turbo inlet pipes? It's hard to tell on the pics with the gold foil wrap. If not, I suggest you do that. They are a bitch to get to but that was also the last leak my car had and it made a significant difference when everything was all proper.

I should probably do this as well since my motor is out, you dont happen to have a link handy to the ones you used?

Gabe.
06-23-2016, 11:30 AM
I should probably do this as well since my motor is out, you dont happen to have a link handy to the ones you used?

I have F21s and the oversized inlets. I used:
2.25" Silicone Couplers (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-25-3-PLY-TURBO-INTAKE-INTERCOOLER-PIPING-SILICONE-COUPLER-HOSE-PIPE-BLACK-RED-/400602896746?hash=item5d45cb196a:g:6~QAAOSw0JpV4qB c)
Smooth worm drive clamps (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036R4UE6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I would 100% recommend doing this while your engine is out of the car and get rid of the o-ring fit. Once you get the inlet pipes out, cut them, smooth the cuts, install the couplers, and mount the hose clamps so they are "easy" to get to while the engine is in the car just incase you ever need to get them on/off.

christianb5s4
06-23-2016, 12:06 PM
I used these couplers on my build, Vibrant 2.25" couplers since my turbos also have oversized inlets: http://www.jegs.com/i/Vibrant+Performance/231/2708/10002/-1

Gabe, thanks for the info. That's what we did when we had to access the wastegate supply hose on the drivers side, support engine and remove the engine mount bracket. If that's all that's needed, shouldn't be too difficult.

Gabe.
06-23-2016, 06:03 PM
I used these couplers on my build, Vibrant 2.25" couplers since my turbos also have oversized inlets: http://www.jegs.com/i/Vibrant+Performance/231/2708/10002/-1

Gabe, thanks for the info. That's what we did when we had to access the wastegate supply hose on the drivers side, support engine and remove the engine mount bracket. If that's all that's needed, shouldn't be too difficult.

No prob. If you're familiar with that area of the engine it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Find someone with small hands/wrists!

christianb5s4
06-24-2016, 08:16 AM
Awesome, thanks Gabe! Will report back after tomorrow, hopefully that'll be the last issue to fix prior to finally getting the car tuned! We're going to try and get an oil pressure switch in time to replace that while we're in there.

christianb5s4
06-24-2016, 11:35 AM
Got these in the mail, going to replace all this stuff along with a new spider hose en-route to eliminate all remaining failure points in the vacuum system.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160623_194741_zpsqoysxtab.jpg

christianb5s4
06-27-2016, 09:18 AM
Finally got the car sorted out, turns out it was just a few loose clamps on the turbo inlet silicone couplers. LTFTs and MAF readings are looking much better and was finally able to log the car (ME7Logger) and sent those to Blake to get a tune in the car! Got to work on Marc's car too, did a spirited run and blew the TBB off but man that car is a beast. Once those 295 semi-slicks get some heat in them, it's a whole different animal. Beautiful day on the lake too.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160625_194632_zpsmpod2cnl.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160625_194619_zpsgtiuhdfu.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160625_222438_zpsmqhyvkf4.jpg

Also put some time into polishing the 911, made the decision to buy it from the owners next year.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160626_195500_zpsgjiiweze.jpg

CJ_
06-27-2016, 09:31 AM
Awesome! Good to hear cars running good! I love the old 911/930/964s, one of those will be my first collector car purchase haha

christianb5s4
06-27-2016, 01:57 PM
Such a relief that it's finally able to be tuned now, really frustrating how little things can take so long to figure out. Those older 911s have such charm to them, really joyful back to basic cars! I'm sure they'll start appreciating more as years go on too.

christianb5s4
06-27-2016, 02:40 PM
Got logs back, it's only hitting half the boost it should be hitting. There are zero leaks in the system (in the vacuum or boost side), fuel trims look good, only hitting 10psi at 95% duty cycle on the N75. Any ideas on what to check? I know the spider hose check valve by the f hose and pancake are not holding pressure at all, plus the green check valves. I will be replacing all those in the next few days but any ideas are welcome.

MetalMan
06-27-2016, 03:00 PM
Just to verify, your boost gauge is also showing 10psi?

christianb5s4
06-27-2016, 03:38 PM
Yes sir, peaks at 11/12psi and holds around 10. It's consistent every time, I thought it was just the base tune requesting near wastegate until everything was broken in.

jballou
06-27-2016, 03:50 PM
That is weird... Test it by installing a MBC in replacement of the N75 and see what it does but leave the N75 electronics connected. See if the turbos build boost.

Corradovolksb
06-27-2016, 06:18 PM
Check your DV's man. one could be sticking open that will cause low boost and no external leaks

axnjaksn
06-28-2016, 08:07 AM
Yes sir, peaks at 11/12psi and holds around 10. It's consistent every time, I thought it was just the base tune requesting near wastegate until everything was broken in.

your pm inbox is full, delete some stuff!!!!

christianb5s4
06-28-2016, 08:23 AM
That is weird... Test it by installing a MBC in replacement of the N75 and see what it does but leave the N75 electronics connected. See if the turbos build boost.

Check your DV's man. one could be sticking open that will cause low boost and no external leaks

your pm inbox is full, delete some stuff!!!!

Wow, it's always the little things lol. The Cinesnow wastegate lines were hooked up to the wrong ports on the N75, switched them around and the car hit exactly what it's supposed to finally! 24psi peak, although it's tapering to 16 by redline during logging runs so trying to figure out why. So happy the car is on the right track, Blake revised the tune last night based on the logs and I loaded that into the car but haven't had a chance to do more logging.

Only thing we're running into is that the duty cycle is high per Blake, N75 is at 80% duty cycle. I replaced all the green check valves last night and the new spider hose should arrive today, only thing I noticed when testing the N75 lines is if you blow smoke into the reference line, smoke eventually starts coming out of the y-pipe/lobster claws. I also believe the N249 isn't working properly.

Also, PSA: DO NOT BUY ANY HAZARD SWITCH BESIDES OEM AUDI. I accidentally ordered a Febi one and installed that and last night it got stuck on and got so hot it was too hot to hold in my hand. Could've easily caused a fire, I took it out and thankfully had a new OEM one I ordered after I realized I got the wrong one.

MetalMan
06-28-2016, 08:57 AM
Also, PSA: DO NOT BUY ANY HAZARD SWITCH BESIDES OEM AUDI. I accidentally ordered a Febi one and installed that and last night it got stuck on and got so hot it was too hot to hold in my hand. Could've easily caused a fire, I took it out and thankfully had a new OEM one I ordered after I realized I got the wrong one.

Ha, I could have told you this!! Same thing happened to me a year or so ago when I swapped in a Febi hazard relay. In fact mine let out some smoke! Found a good used replacement from a forum member for ~$25 and it's been fine since.

christianb5s4
06-28-2016, 09:12 AM
Yeah, I actually ordered it by mistake since it was thrown in with one of my many big orders with ECS for my build so missed it wasn't OEM. I ordered a new OEM one shortly after, that's what's in the car now lol. Scary stuff, the hazard lights stayed on constant out of nowhere then it started getting really hot. Good thing I was in the car at the time.

Side note, I just ordered a new N249 and hoses. Read the pros and cons of deleting it and it's best to keep it. I think the lines have a leak which could be causing my boost taper, the hoses are severely corroded so in the trash that's going to go.

jballou
06-28-2016, 10:05 AM
Wow, it's always the little things lol. The Cinesnow wastegate lines were hooked up to the wrong ports on the N75, switched them around and the car hit exactly what it's supposed to finally! 24psi peak, although it's tapering to 16 by redline during logging runs so trying to figure out why. So happy the car is on the right track, Blake revised the tune last night based on the logs and I loaded that into the car but haven't had a chance to do more logging.

That is the JBallou keep you from boosting too much mod.. [wrench] Not sure why I switched it...Probably.... not sure why.

christianb5s4
06-28-2016, 10:22 AM
Wasn't your fault, you had it hooked up the right way around but in the process of Marc and I fixing the leaking wg line on the driver's side, hooked them back up to the N75 reverse of how they were. Doh.

As for boost tapering significantly, I ordered a new OEM N249/hoses and a new spider hose should arrive. Based on my research, looks like there's a potential leak in the N249 system that is bleeding boost at higher rpms in addition to the pancake valve not functioning very well. Will do some logs when those both are installed.

jballou
06-28-2016, 10:30 AM
Wasn't your fault, you had it hooked up the right way around but in the process of Marc and I fixing the leaking wg line on the driver's side, hooked them back up to the N75 reverse of how they were. Doh.

As for boost tapering significantly, I ordered a new OEM N249/hoses and a new spider hose should arrive. Based on my research, looks like there's a potential leak in the N249 system that is bleeding boost at higher rpms in addition to the pancake valve not functioning very well. Will do some logs when those both are installed.

Aren't these cars fun???? [facepalm]

christianb5s4
06-28-2016, 10:36 AM
Ha, well through this whole process the car from the transmission forward is practically new so at least everything that could go wrong has been taken care of. Silver lining, but an expensive silver lining lol.

axnjaksn
06-28-2016, 10:57 AM
if the car ran perfect all the time it wouldn't be as much fun hahaha

e30mclow
06-28-2016, 11:15 AM
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160625_194632_zpsmpod2cnl.jpg

Is there a thread for this thing? Looks mean...

CJ_
06-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Here you are:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/567317-Changing-from-a-democracy-to-a-dictatorship-one-department-at-a-time/page6

christianb5s4
06-28-2016, 02:57 PM
if the car ran perfect all the time it wouldn't be as much fun hahaha

Haha, I know but after all this work I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect it to be perfect!

Is there a thread for this thing? Looks mean...

That's Cinesnow's car, RS6 turbos running a standalone ECU with no intercoolers, maf, 295 width TOYO tires, tons of custom stuff. It's a beast in the corners, grips harder than a B5 S4 has any right to grip.

christianb5s4
06-29-2016, 08:15 AM
Ordered a brand new N249 along with new lines, should've received the new spider hose but unfortunately UPS misplaced/misdelivered the package and there's the annoying back and forth trying to get a claim through. Does anyone know if there's a place I can buy just the pancake valve by itself? Early style.

christianb5s4
06-30-2016, 08:13 AM
Alright, so my tuner sent me a revision the other night and got that loaded on. Did some pulls last night and the car felt way faster, but boost is fluctuating slightly after hitting spiking 24psi and N75 duty cycle is really high (95%). It'll go from 24 to 20 then back up then down then up to 24 holding to redline.

I have a new N249/lines on the way so can eliminate that soon, but I have a feeling the cracking pressure for the wastegates aren't set correctly. If they were set too low, would that cause this type of issue?

MikeyB3
06-30-2016, 10:12 AM
Is the N75 cracking too early and then making a correction? I know that's an odd thing, but I suppose you cant rule it out. (Is that even a thing?)

christianb5s4
06-30-2016, 11:42 AM
I'm not sure to be honest, I'm just ruling off the remaining items that could be causing an issue. Besides that, AFRs and fueling are very solid so that's not the issue. Here's what I've done or am doing:

- Green check valves: replaced with OEM
- Boost/vacuum leaks: every leak has been eliminated and triple checked
- Wastegate lines: leak tested and working/hooked up as they should
- New N249/hoses: arriving today, will replace and see if that helps
- 034 DVs: tested to make sure they work, am retesting tonight
- Waste gate cracking pressure: need to set them to 11psi per tuner's preference (current setting is likely way lower than this)
- PCV/Spider hose: waiting on a new one, need to install new PCV I have on hand
- Do a log with N75 unplugged to check wg pressure

Essentially, in order to hold 24psi to redline the N75 is maxed out at 95% DTC and even then I still get boost fluctuations. Before we upped the duty cycle, the car would hit requested 24psi fine but boost would drop to 16psi by redline at N75 80% DTC. Not sure if anyone can point me in the right direction.

christianb5s4
06-30-2016, 12:12 PM
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/13563504_10106423618548831_274419508_n_zpsucs2jvt7 .jpeg

christianb5s4
07-05-2016, 09:47 AM
Ok, so got some stuff done to the car. Have narrowed the boost taper down to the 034 DVs I have not being strong enough to hold closed and are bleeding off boost. Also replaced all the lines and solenoid for the N249, can't wait to get the new 710Ns that are enroute in the car and log again so the 91 octane tune can be polished up and we can start on the E85 tune.

Happy belated 4th of July!

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160701_170201_zpsmq0drogl.jpg
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160702_145626_zpsmqb7zx95.jpg

hibiscusS4
07-06-2016, 06:28 AM
good progress. these cars even at 300k surprise me with how solid they are.

christianb5s4
07-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Well that progress was short lived, the leak on the driver's side inlet area is back. Passenger side is silent, it's the only leak left but it's a PITA since it's clearly the inlet as I have intermittent idle issues and all the signs of a vacuum leak. Getting really frustrated, does anyone have ideas on how to fix this once and for all? Could it be the turbo housing? Installed new 710Ns and the check valve by the F hose last night as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emdRXGdDRR4

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/christian900se/20160705_194553_zpsabvnmdbd.jpg

gmdiluca
07-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Are you sure it's leaking? Could just be because it's under pressure. That inlet only sees vacuum. I get a similar sound when pressure testing but car was running fine. Did you use a coupler and hose clamps?

christianb5s4
07-06-2016, 09:49 AM
Yup, coupler and hose clamps. Issue is passenger side is completely leak free, the driver's side only needs a few psi to start very audibly leaking. Symptoms are my idle starts jumping intermittently and vacuum starts jumping up and down, fuel trims indicate a leak on the driver's side, and logs show evidence of a leak as well.

When on boost, it pulls great and hits the 24psi spike and 22psi taper perfectly but there's definitely something off in terms of a vacuum leak.