PDA

View Full Version : '08 S6 - Cross Road Engine Predicament

JayJayBayBay
04-26-2016, 10:52 AM
Back Story: Procured a 2008 S6 with 32,200 miles (immaculate condition). The Canadian snow bird only used the vehicle during the summers while in the valley. Unfortunately, his nephew 'accidentally' put diesel fuel in the engine, or so he says.. thus the motor was ruined. He had it swapped for a 105,000 mile engine and despite my best judgment I decided to go through with deal, essentially stealing it from the old man (and further confirming the poor condition of the engine). After taking it into the shop, they said they found an internal coolant leak, and believe it to be due to a cracked head gasket.

My Predicament: I bought the car for cheap, I have about 6k I can put into it before even reaching the KellyBlueBook Value. I would love to put the work into the engine, get it running better then ever, maybe even soup it up a bit. However, once I start down the road of repairs, who really know where it ends. I do not want to open a bottomless money pit to keep throwing cash into, but I would hate to get rid of such a pretty ride.

Questions: What kind of bill could I expected for the head gasket(s) to be replaced? What are the odds this is where the trouble ends? Is entering into the engine repair even worth it?

Bottom Line: Would you keep it, or would you sell it?

Thank you all in advanced for your valued input.

Respectfully,
JJ

SinCityA6
04-26-2016, 11:11 AM
So, you posted a question in this forum previously asking if you should buy the car or not...

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/698203-Should-I-buy-an-08-S6-with-Engine-Swap

Everyone told you to steer clear as something felt fishy about the story and, knowing the cost of making repairs to this engine are a very costly; we knew this was not a good deal; but you went ahead anyway?!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here, but your $6000 budget is going to get eaten up pretty quick with any major repairs and I HIGHLY doubt that the "cracked Head Gasket" will be the end of your repair woes. Add to that there is minimal performance mods for this car so "soup"ing it up is not an option. IMHO you have just bought a money pit. How you proceed from here is soley up to you as it is apparent you didnt heed the warnings we gave you previously.

JayJayBayBay
04-26-2016, 11:50 AM
I figured as much would be true.

c@@kieMonsta
04-26-2016, 12:29 PM
So, you posted a question in this forum previously asking if you should buy the car or not...

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/698203-Should-I-buy-an-08-S6-with-Engine-Swap

Everyone told you to steer clear as something felt fishy about the story and, knowing the cost of making repairs to this engine are a very costly.; but you went ahead anyway?!

Sorry to be the beasrer of bad news here, but your $6000 budget is going to get eaten up pretty quick with any major repairs and I HIGHLY doubt that the "cracked Head Gasket" will be the end of your repair woes. Add to that there is minimal performance mods for this car so "soup"ing it up is not an option. IMHO you have just bought a money pit. How you proceed from here is soley up to you as it is apparent you didnt heed the warnings we gave you previously.

I figured as much would be true.

OP, just had to have it eh?

sun_dance
04-26-2016, 12:49 PM
sorry OP, but you didn't "steal" anything...you just bought someone else's headache. You went into this with feedback from the forum and if you have to do a headgasket job, there goes the $6K you had. Plus don't be surprised if there's something else wrong with it. Good luck and let us know what you do next

cal3thousand
04-26-2016, 01:39 PM
I'll try shed a more positive light on this situation for ya since the other guys already covered the mistakes.

This is what I would call a "mechanic's special". It's a car that's really only worth money to a mechanic that can use his spare time and essentially make 'work' for himself. It would depend on what caused the headgasket to blow. If it was a light overheating on an already aging headgasket and the head itself turns out to be unwarped, it could be as easy as < $100 and a day of labor. BUT, if that 'headgasket' damage came from real internal damage of the block or head, it will cost more.

So... are you mechanically inclined enough to do this and do you know enough about the failure to make a safe assumption as to the real damage? Those are the questions that I would ask. I previously blew a headgasket and had the head repaired (another car long ago) for $300 by a machine shop and did the reassembly myself. I ended up being out about $400 total to get the car back to a good working condition. So... it's possible to still come out ahead with some luck and work on your part.

EDIT: This is also to assume that the rest of what you bought is still in good enough condition. I'm talking about the suspension and chassis parts, tranny and interior etc.

JayJayBayBay
04-26-2016, 02:07 PM
Instant gratification was necessary, rash decisions do not always turn out poorly.

It runs perfectly fine, sounds perfectly fine, looks amazing, but unfortunately I was hoping for a little more luck on my end concerning the engine.

I intend to clean and sell the vehicle asap. Feel a bit like a scorned child that broke his new toy after my parents tried to tell me I didn't need it! But I still appreciate all the responses.

Lesson learned - now I just have to find a beauty that runs just as well as she looks.

Cheers

FormulaElement
04-26-2016, 03:43 PM
First off, if it runs and everything is good, what are the symptoms? Milky oil? Overheating?

These things have at least triple layer head gaskets and you rarely hear with a Audi of this generation having a head gasket leak.

There are plenty of other places the coolant could be leaking from....

ichi d
04-26-2016, 07:36 PM
When stunting on a budget goes wrong.

cal3thousand
04-27-2016, 08:57 AM
So... rereading your post, I see there's a lot of misinformation that can occur. 1st, if just really diesel in the tank, you found a steal. It would be less than a grand to fix and the guy thinks it needs a new motor, you win.

BUT, if the indy mechanic is believable, and you have a coolant leak, it could still be very easy. A headgasket replacement is not hard and if the head was not destroyed ( I don't see how it would unless he was hitting it hard when it died and it somehow threw timing too; very unlikely with a chain), should be easy still.

So, what's the real damage and symptoms? Just a bunch of hearsay at this time.

Nizmo
04-28-2016, 08:03 PM
Fix it man...

JPJ2007
04-29-2016, 10:55 AM
How cheap would it cost me to take it off your hands? lol I would spend the time in labor replacing a head gasket. :D

JayJayBayBay
05-02-2016, 10:16 AM
@FormulaElement/cal3throusand - I've scheduled a visit to another mechanic for a few more tests. Hopefully they can narrow down/confirm exact issues, should have more specific information within the week.

@ichi d - You took the words right out of my mouth