PDA

View Full Version : Downside of the belly pan

luvdubs
04-17-2016, 02:18 PM
I took my belly pan off this weekend to change the oil in my 3.2 only to find oil everywhere across the front of the motor. My alternator is caked, my pullys are caked, everything from about the middle of the motor down is caked, and oil has spread back over my oil pan. I tried a quick blast-off at the car wash to very little effect. There were only about 2 little drops on my garage floor over night without the belly pan, so it must have been going on for a while. [facepalm]

Euro_head
04-17-2016, 04:45 PM
There's usually a leak that starts at the left front near the top of the engine you should check that out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skylinrcr01
04-17-2016, 07:52 PM
You should get a mity vac, or some sort of pump and do it through the dipstick tube. Then you won't have to jack the car up anymore.

c@@kieMonsta
04-17-2016, 08:39 PM
You should get a mity vac, or some sort of pump and do it through the dipstick tube. Then you won't have to jack the car up anymore.
That's not the complaint that OP is stating here. He's saying that because there is a belly pan, it's not as easy to know if there is oil leaking since it just drips right onto it and stays there.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

skylinrcr01
04-17-2016, 10:30 PM
That's not the complaint that OP is stating here. He's saying that because there is a belly pan, it's not as easy to know if there is oil leaking since it just drips right onto it and stays there.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Oh. Yeah a vaccum isn't going to rectify that, haha. On the plus side, OP doesn't have oil all over his or her driveway I guess? Silver linings and all that.

snowzach
04-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Or as I like to call it... The diaper... Go to an autoparts store or some place with an auto section and buy engine degreaser and spray it on the belly pan, wait 10 minutes and scrub it with a brush you no longer care about because it will be caked with grease afterwards.

luvdubs
04-19-2016, 03:02 PM
I'm presently more concerned with locating the source of the leak. I degreased the front of the motor and am hoping to be able to narrow down the source when I have time to jack it up and have a good look. I can smell oil burning off when I drive longer than 30 minutes.

c@@kieMonsta
04-19-2016, 03:52 PM
I'm presently more concerned with locating the source of the leak. I degreased the front of the motor and am hoping to be able to narrow down the source when I have time to jack it up and have a good look. I can smell oil burning off when I drive longer than 30 minutes.

Check the valve covers as that is a common source for oil leaks. Also, timing chain covers. Those are probably the two most common sources of oil leaks these cars experience.